Content

Questions on modeling

Lonno View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Tuesday, October 06, 2009

hi, I just found out about this game the other day and after checking it out I think I wanna take a crack at modeling a character...

basically I've just been trying to learn how to do it, testing things out...I've never worked with md3 files before but so far seems pretty strait forward except a couple problems so any help with these would be great. I'm using maya with an md3 import/export plugin/

my first problem is that anything I try to add to an existing model gets rotated to a weird position when I export. I saw someone was requesting a Goku head model with a scouter so I figured that would be a good way to practice as I learn how to work with md3s, when I add the scouter it rotates to the wrong position when I export but the Goku head remains correct..I found there's an export setting that auto rotates..but when I turned it off the Goku head roatated and not the scouter.

second problem is with animating..as far as I can tell the way to go about this is to model a character in 3 parts then rig the model as a whole and animate it..then bake the animation remove the rig and export the pieces seperatly....seems easy enough but when I import the Goku models 3 pieces the animation of each piece doesn't line up correctly..like the torso and legs don't appear to be attached..seems the pivot point is center on each piece when they should all have the same point. so it has me confused on how to animate each piece.

Lfs Z Artist View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Tuesday, October 06, 2009

Lonno wrote : my first problem is that anything I try to add to an existing model gets rotated to a weird position when I export. I saw someone was requesting a Goku head model with a scouter so I figured that would be a good way to practice as I learn how to work with md3s, when I add the scouter it rotates to the wrong position when I export but the Goku head remains correct..I found there's an export setting that auto rotates..but when I turned it off the Goku head roatated and not the scouter.

You need to weight map the scouter.

Lonno wrote : second problem is with animating..as far as I can tell the way to go about this is to model a character in 3 parts then rig the model as a whole and animate it..then bake the animation remove the rig and export the pieces seperatly....seems easy enough but when I import the Goku models 3 pieces the animation of each piece doesn't line up correctly..like the torso and legs don't appear to be attached..seems the pivot point is center on each piece when they should all have the same point. so it has me confused on how to animate each piece.

Every part was rigged while being a seperate piece. Not as one mesh.

Lonno View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Thursday, October 08, 2009

thanks for the reply...after doing more research I think I understand how to animate them now using the tags to connect the pieces.

the rotation problem gave me a lot trouble though, it doesn't seem to be from weight mapping but something with the Maya plugin I did eventually get the scouter to export correctly but I'm not sure if I really fixed the problem.

Actions

Online [ 0 / 6125]