Content

<<  1, 2, 3

Devil may cry

Zeth The Admin View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Thursday, October 18, 2012

Character appearance and attitude change for reboots good or bad thing

What criteria is being used for measuring this accurately?

NELLO!! Mitico View user's profile Send private message

I played only with the girl at devil my mierda.. Laughing
the DVD rom with the man version never worked on my PlayStation 2.. Embarassed I played only DMC2... Razz

Skatter #*&@%! View user's profile Send private message

Zeth wrote : What is the purpose/end-goal of this discussion?

My only purpose (aside from expression of opinion on what I consider, thus far, a displeasing direction for a character I respected til now) was to say that when you make a change this drastic to a recognizable character that you've grown to recognize and endear, there's nothing wrong with choosing not to embrace the change. There's also nothing wrong with embracing it with arms wide open. Making the character re-earn the respect of the audience isn't irrationality on the part of the audience.

In short, I just wanted to refute the statements that made it seem ridiculous to dislike the new direction they've chosen for Dante. Also that while I do dislike him, it's not ridiculous to like him, either.

Also that while I do dislike him, it's not ridiculous to like him, either.

Isn't that basically just circular resolution?
What is the purpose of engaging in a debate with no end?

Zeth wrote : Isn't that basically just circular resolution?

Possibly, but because what I value in a character isn't necessarily the same as what you value, I can't automatically cheapen your reaction because it isn't the same as mine. And you can't cheapen mine, either. Well, you can, but that devaluation won't hold with me Smile

Zeth wrote : What is the purpose of engaging in a debate with no end?

The purpose, I suppose, is to make a distinction.

TRL wrote : What's this hipster doing in my DMC games?!! Mad

Here, we see TRL express disdain over the change. Acceptable, since this change, for him, denotes something negative, which could be elaborated on through his use of the derogatory term used to describe Dante.

ESFER25 wrote : The new Dante is nice if you ask me. Different? Yeah, but not necessarily bad. He has a more 'realistic' attitude now.

Now ESFER25 offers a different perspective, and an attitude of optimism for the direction chosen. By finding out what he meant by realistic, we could probably expand that, if we wanted.

Nemix wrote : I love Devil May Cry. I love the original Dante and all. When the first trailer for DmC came out I was tinkled, but I got over it. The game looks awesome.

Nemix both opposes, then supports it, denoting that he just likes the Devil May Cry series. He's going to "go with the flow" which is acceptable as well!

ESFER25 wrote : Gotta love how people overreact...

Nemix wrote : No one should doubt the game by Dante's looks alone

These statements, however, don't merit being posted. They move on from forming an opinion about Dante to forming an opinion about others based on their opinion of Dante!

TRL View user's profile Send private message

It's bad because they just changed Dante. They could have created a new character, new name, even new name for the game.

It's like they would change Link from the Zelda series into a lipid mexican with a moustache. All heck would break loose.

ESFER25 View user's profile Send private message

TRL wrote : It's bad because they just changed Dante. They could have created a new character, new name, even new name for the game.

It's like they would change Link from the Zelda series into a lipid mexican with a moustache. All heck would break loose.

Of course they changed Dante. It's a reboot: new story, new universe, new characters, new everything. Sometimes characters need to change, a further development. The best example here would be Batman, ever read a Batman comic from the 30's? My lloyd!

I still don't know if they're doing it right or not, but to me, the Asian Deadpool formula was getting old.

... And a lipid, mexican Link would be awesome hands down. Razz

TRL View user's profile Send private message

Me gusta senor Liiiink!

Batman always still looked like Batman. Redesigns are fine. Sonic, Link and so on had them as well. This is just a completely different guy.

TRL wrote : Batman always still looked like Batman.

He looked the same, but he was a totally different character. He killed people without hesitation, that's pretty much enough to realize how different he used to be. As you can see, he is now a totally different guy too.

ESFER25 wrote : He looked the same, but he was a totally different character. He killed people without hesitation, that's pretty much enough to realize how different he used to be. As you can see, he is now a totally different guy too.

I can't speak to anything definite here, as I'm no DC comics fan, but many times, especially in the comic book medium, this type of thing usually falls under the "alternate universe/reality" category. Batman is still Batman, but the Batman from universe A is NOT the Batman from universe B. Again, I'm no expert here! I do know that this is not limited to comics, but I don't think I've seen a comic series that didn't take advantage of this idea, including everyone's favorite web comic, Dragon Ball Multiverse Smile

What Grega was trying to say, I think, is that he could potentially get behind Old Dante = Universe A, New Dante = Universe B, but that it'd be much more difficult to want to get behind the idea that Old Dante = New Dante. Sorry if I'm putting words in your mouth, Grega Smile

Skatter wrote :

ESFER25 wrote : He looked the same, but he was a totally different character. He killed people without hesitation, that's pretty much enough to realize how different he used to be. As you can see, he is now a totally different guy too.

I can't speak to anything definite here, as I'm no DC comics fan, but many times, especially in the comic book medium, this type of thing usually falls under the "alternate universe/reality" category. Batman is still Batman, but the Batman from universe A is NOT the Batman from universe B. Again, I'm no expert here! I do know that this is not limited to comics, but I don't think I've seen a comic series that didn't take advantage of this idea, including everyone's favorite web comic, Dragon Ball Multiverse Smile

What Grega was trying to say, I think, is that he could potentially get behind Old Dante = Universe A, New Dante = Universe B, but that it'd be much more difficult to want to get behind the idea that Old Dante = New Dante. Sorry if I'm putting words in your mouth, Grega Smile

That's pretty much the point too, this DmC is set in another universe. http://www.siliconera.com/2011/10/31/dmc-devil-may-cry-takes-place-in-a-parallel-world-with-a-different-dante/

ESFER25 wrote : this DmC is set in another universe

Ah, gotcha. I had referred to the possibility of that in previous posts, but I have seen just as many rumors that this was misdirection just to appease disgruntled fans and wasn't necessarily rooted in truth. Good show, ESFER25!

GoldenWarrior View user's profile Send private message

I don't know why I'm saying this, but, I have devil may cry 4 *laughing out loud*

Grega Perpetual Traveler View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Friday, October 19, 2012

ESFER25 wrote : That's pretty much the point too, this DmC is set in another universe. http://www.siliconera.com/2011/10/31/dmc-devil-may-cry-takes-place-in-a-parallel-world-with-a-different-dante/

That remains to be seen. We lack that information at the moment, so its all down to speculation. We will know fully when the game is released, or of its directly stated.

Personal opinion. I don't like the attitude of the new main character from what I've seen so far. Seems like they went from witty humor to slapstick. Imagine having Dave Chapelle in a Monty Python movie.

I'm also not to hot on Ninja Theory itself, but ill reserve my final judgement for after the release.

@Brad. There can be no definite merit for comparison at the moment because of the lack of information from Side B. There can only be estimations based on released information. Besides even in the end opinions will tell if the choice was good or not. that's just how this particular industry works.

If people have a good personal opinion from a product, they will buy it. Stuff like hard cold facts come in second after the advertisement. that's also the reason why many superb games go unnoticed and don't sell, while you have totally trash games that sell in tons.

So discussions of this kind can not be held without at least a bit of opinion.

@Skater that's exactly what I meant. Imagine this new Dante making a name for himself and then getting a game that combines both of them in Co-bloppity blip bloop style :p

Depending on how this restart goes, it could be a goldmine of an idea *intense laughter*

NELLO!! Mitico View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Friday, October 19, 2012

is bad because is not dragonball Razz .. nothing can beat dragonball..

GoldenWarrior View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Saturday, October 20, 2012

NELLO!! wrote : is bad because is not dragonball Razz .. nothing can beat dragonball..

*ponders*. what about Dragon Ball Z instead of Dragon Ball

Alex Al Knows View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Sunday, October 21, 2012

ESFER25 wrote : Of course they changed Dante. It's a reboot: new story, new universe, new characters, new everything. Sometimes characters need to change, a further development. The best example here would be Batman, ever read a Batman comic from the 30's? My lloyd!

Isn't it also meant to be set before any of the other DMC games in terms of Dante's story? I've seen various shots with varrying amounts of white in his hair, so it seems to me that they're going to have him evolve into something a lot closer to the original design.

I have no problem with character redesigns in reboots, especially when the art style is different. Unlike the old games this is far less influenced by anime style art and is going for a more realistic (if stylised) look. Give this new Dante longer white hair and he will look just like Dante would given that criteria.

I'm fine with character redesigns in reboots. As a fan of Marvel comics, I'm used to characters looking different when a different artist gets his hands on them, let alone when they're doing an alternate universe reboot like the Ultimate series. They've not only changed hair styles and attire but even skin colour. Take Nick Fury for example, in the Ultimate series he was based on a bald Samuel L Jackson instart of being an old white with grey streaks in his hair. That was so popular they ended up using that version of Fury for the movies. Also ESFER is right in pointing to Batman, he's had many different looks over the years and while some look similar to others, the only things which connect them all is: full body suit, cape, utility belt and mask with points on it.

Another case of a character being completely changed in a reboot is Battlestar Gallactica. In the rebooted TV series Starbuck was changed to be a woman and ended up being possibly the most popular character in the series. Other characters have been entirely changed without being rebooted, such as James Bond whenever a new actor took over. They not only looked and sounded different but presented their own interpretation of the Bond character. Obviously the Daniel Craig Bond is a reboot, but all the previous movies were supposedly in the same continuity. Pierce Brosnon's Bond is worlds apart from Sean Connery's bond.

Of course there are instances where characters have been ruined by major changes when a series has been rebooted. I can't think of any off the top of my head, but I'm sure there are examples.

If this DmC is a origins story then I think the more youthful, less white haired Dante suits it. He has the guns, sword and red jacket, the only thing which is not Dante is the black hair and that, as I mentioned earlier, looks like will progressively change through the game like a reverse Vash.

Sidenote: Like I said before, I'm not a DmC fan but I did love playing as Dante in Marvel vs Capcom 3. Him and Deadpool were a great duo to have on a team.

Reply with quote Sunday, October 21, 2012

Alex's post was on point.

Characters/Ideas/Stories are defined by their abstract qualities. Changing from one concrete form/medium to another to provide a unique interpretation can not be objectively considered good nor bad. Divergent thinking is a gateway to imagination & creativity.

If they are not superficial, your preferences and sentimental associations should be malleable enough to allow such changes.

Laguna|DaGGeR View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Monday, January 28, 2013

guys I got the game last night its awesome finished it trough the slam night 12 hours of playing and now in heck and heck mode which is hard as a love

Postscript is a awesome ham prequel from the classic devil may cry for PlayStation 2 GODDNESS

Kakarot2550 View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Monday, January 28, 2013

Laguna|DaGGeR wrote : guys I got the game last night its awesome finished it trough the slam night 12 hours of playing and now in heck and heck mode which is hard as a love

Postscript is a awesome ham prequel from the classic devil may cry for PlayStation 2 GODDNESS

What about Devil may Cry 2
it is Awesome I tried it!!!!!

<<  1, 2, 3

Actions

Online [ 0 / 6125]