Content

<<  1, 2, 3  >>

ZEQ2 Unity

nielsmillikan View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Tuesday, September 10, 2013

I'd like to know the current state of ZEQ2 Unity. Right now it sounds pretty hollow like most projects on moddb, where someone starts a project expecting others to join and finish his *ideas*. I'm not saying this is the case here but I do think revealing some info about the current state might encourage/attract developers more.

Zeth The Admin View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Tuesday, September 10, 2013

I'd like to know the current state of ZEQ2 Unity. Right now it sounds pretty hollow like most projects on moddb, where someone starts a project expecting others to join and finish his *ideas*. I'm not saying this is the case here but I do think revealing some info about the current state might encourage/attract developers more.

Please don't play passively aggressive, Niels. You know very well of the project's history, status, and developer capacity. Not only that, the post clearly defines itself as a pre-emptive prod to gauge resources available.

nielsmillikan View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Zeth wrote :
Please don't play passively aggressive, Niels. You know very well of the project's history, status, and developer capacity. Not only that, the post clearly defines itself as a pre-emptive prod to gauge resources available.

I'm not sure what made you think whatever you thought before writing the above post. I have been trying to know more about the current status of ZEQ2 Unity for a long time now. I've even raised this question in the IRC as well, only to be ignored or given dull replies. My question is simple.. 'Do you have anything that is presentable done yet?'.

Your question is the problem though. There is no established project and project team yet. The entire post's purpose is to determine IF enough developers are around and interested to even humor the notion of STARTING the project.

This is stage one. Zero developers. Square one. The first step.

I've never heard you really ask me about this in IRC else I would have answered any questions you might have. Don't misunderstand. Every bit of ZEQ2-related Unity work prior to last week when the post was made has really just been discussion of loose ideas, tool training test-beds, and local experiments from various individuals.

It's night and day compared to the realm of what this shift of forming a focused, roadmap-driven development team implies.

franco_15 View user's profile Send private message

I have a question about all this... ZEQ2-Unity will be OPEN SOURCE??

I have a question about all this... ZEQ2-Unity will be OPEN SOURCE??

This has been answered in the blog post and in this thread. Yes, after a foundation for the project is built, the source will be eventually open (I.e : once there's code that's usable).

Alex Al Knows View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Thursday, September 12, 2013

Great news Smile

Well, it is IF we can recruit a set of regulars to be around daily for discussion and available weekly for work. Right now the pool is pretty dry. We won't be able to reasonably press forward with the idea of reestablishment without a slew of solid divergent thinkers willing to discuss designs.

VLadD View user's profile Send private message

Will shading system be the same?

Reply with quote Friday, September 13, 2013

The same as ZEQ2-lite or ZEQ2? It'll likely be using the specialized HLSL shaders we've ported from Zios to Unity. Far more capable (and better performing) than Quake 3's version.

Zeth wrote :

The same as ZEQ2-lite or ZEQ2? It'll likely be using the specialized HLSL shaders we've ported from Zios to Unity. Far more capable (and better performing) than Quake 3's version.

ZEQ2-lite. Can you say what will be better in new shading system?

And do you fix otlines what they was more smoother?

Better asset handling, for one. All shading bands can be bundled together in a single texture atlas, specular/rim light controls would exist (rather than trying to force it into a band), and normal map support for fine-tuned shade flow.

Multiple outline techniques would likely be used. Fatboy/vertex extrude for low-end silhouettes and an implementation of the edge mesh approach for the higher end.

Zeth wrote :

Better asset handling, for one. All shading bands can be bundled together in a single texture atlas, specular/rim light controls would exist (rather than trying to force it into a band), and normal map support for fine-tuned shade flow.

Multiple outline techniques would likely be used. Fatboy/vertex extrude for low-end silhouettes and an implementation of the edge mesh approach for the higher end.

Good will see this in future

GoldenWarrior View user's profile Send private message

and the combat?

Kakarot2550 View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Saturday, September 14, 2013

There was this big confussion on Earth Special Forces forums...The names are so similar...and both are unity projects...that
the guys thinked Z enters quake and z enters unity is
the same thing.I explained them that it has nothing to do with You Zeth(or Brad whatever) and this unity ZEQ2 version. Rolling Eyes

Z Enters Quake isn't anything. It was just a made-up fan term.

Kakarot2550 View user's profile Send private message

Zeth wrote : Z Enters Quake isn't anything. It was just a made-up fan term.

I won't even come to Earth Special Forces forums anymore...they are all a nuts shelll...only Grega is normal.
The thing is...They thought that ZEQ2 unity has to do with z enters unity.

SparkingVegito View user's profile Send private message

Zeth can allow you those persons too in this project those who don't anything? but they want to learn, some people are interested in this project. if video tutorials are available for each section/field of ZEQ2 Unity system it will be helpful to those who don't have any idea about game system and modelling.

void View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Thursday, September 19, 2013

good luck!

Reply with quote Thursday, September 19, 2013

Zeth can allow you those persons too in this project those who don't anything? but they want to learn, some people are interested in this project. if video tutorials are available for each section/field of ZEQ2 Unity system it will be helpful to those who don't have any idea about game system and modelling.

ZEQ2-lite was more intended to be the learning bed project that you speak of. ZEQ2 was for those who have mastered their fields to utilize those skills in a coordinated manner. While I'm sure there would eventually be opportunities to glean knowledge from ZEQ2 as well, the current stage insists that only those with applicable skills take part.

good luck!

Encouragement is certainly appreciated, but what we need now more than anything is actual applicants. In the nearly 3 weeks since the post, we've had little to no one step forward.

There is plenty of discussion, planning, and work to be done, but if we don't succeed in recruiting enough developers to sustain a team, there would be no point in pursuing such a project (even the post states this). If things have not changed by October, ZEQ2 will likely not go through with re-established development.

Forza Gerlacious View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Tuesday, September 24, 2013

The idea for this project is certainly nice, but the pool of talented programmers on these forums is too small. It seems rather ambitious for a Dragon Ball Z fanbase, which consists mostly of kids. The talented people in their twenties are long gone to pursue other projects or work. I think this is too much of a hurdle for working as professionally as Zeth wants.

The best idea, to me, seems to restructure the current code. That would be manageable and also lead to easier customization (although C code is pretty unreadable).

Reply with quote Wednesday, September 25, 2013

The idea for this project is certainly nice, but the pool of talented programmers on these forums is too small. It seems rather ambitious for a Dragon Ball Z fanbase, which consists mostly of kids. The talented people in their twenties are long gone to pursue other projects or work. I think this is too much of a hurdle for working as professionally as Zeth wants.

Well, the level of "professionalism" required has been scaled back from what the original ZEQ2 (Zios) project was asking for. Yes, it's certainly above ZEQ2-lite, but no, it's nowhere near its predecessor.

We posted on ModDB and the ZEQ2-lite blog simultaneously, but the pool of capable developers from both probably isn't that large as you mentioned. Using the Unity forums or a programmer-specific community would be better, but it's unlikely that they'd have any interest in a Dragon Ball Z-based project.

This really puts us in a difficult scenario no matter what way you look at it. We're asking for the rare combination of an experienced/skilled developer that is genuinely eager to pursue a Dragon Ball Z project (or at least a Dragon Ball Z-esque framework/type)

The best idea, to me, seems to restructure the current code. That would be manageable and also lead to easier customization (although C code is pretty unreadable).

I think you misunderstand one of the key points for pursuing ZEQ2 on Unity. Consider a coding skill line from 1 to 10 (10 being most skilled). If ZEQ2 on Unity requires programmers of a skill level of 5, ZEQ2-lite requires them to be 9. Not only that, but Unity programmers/developers outnumber experienced Quake 3 ones by about 1000:1.

The move to Unity was both to "lighten" the experience required as well as to open up the doors to more applicants altogether.

Forza Gerlacious View user's profile Send private message

Zeth wrote : I think you misunderstand one of the key points for pursuing ZEQ2 on Unity. Consider a coding skill line from 1 to 10 (10 being most skilled). If ZEQ2 on Unity requires programmers of a skill level of 5, ZEQ2-lite requires them to be 9. Not only that, but Unity programmers/developers outnumber experienced Quake 3 ones by about 1000:1.

The move to Unity was both to "lighten" the experience required as well as to open up the doors to more applicants altogether.

Restructuring the current code would probably only bring it back to, say, skill level 8 at most. That would still make it too inaccessible, I agree.

I'm reading a bit about Unity engine now and the list of completed projects is quite impressive. By the looks of it, the graphics engine is very suitable for cartoon based games. I'm quite confident that you will find some Dragon Ball Z afficionados on the Unity forums; or at least programmers that are interested in a project with your proposed level of professionalism.

SparkingVegito View user's profile Send private message

Zeth why don't you use current professionals of ZEQ2 lite as team. examples are:
nello, Aravind, gigris50, MDave, shenku, anty, grega, samcross, trl, qwerty, skatter, richma, forza too I think & many others. these people working on zeq2lite maybe they would like to work on ZEQ2 unity.

Shenku RiO Incarnate View user's profile Send private message

Firstly, we're not technically "professionals", and second, Brad already was attempting to get some of us on board a while ago, but not all of us are able to at present(or at the very least, I'm not able to).

My issue is mostly from a time commitment standpoint. I'm just too busy with stuff to really work on much on the side, especially with the time commitments Brad is looking for.

<<  1, 2, 3  >>

Actions

Online [ 0 / 6125]