Content

Quidditch

nielsmillikan View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Thursday, May 23, 2013

Hey there. Thought I'd share a few pictures of the game I've been working on and plan to release the first alpha to you all soon.
The game is called 'Quidditch : Multiplayer' and is based on the Quidditch game from the Harry Potter franchise.
Basically it will be an online multiplayer version where the players contest with each other as Seekers (that means you have to catch the Snitch).
The first alpha features only offline play, with placeholder models and textures, and will be released with the purpose of getting your reviews regarding the game controls and implemented features.

TRL View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Thursday, May 23, 2013

I hope it's fun to play. It would be kind of interesting.

And to kick in an open door, those towers look pretty crappy. Razz

Reply with quote Friday, May 24, 2013

@ TRL
Hehe. I hope the same. About those towers, they are placeholders like I said and will be replaced with something 'Beautiful' Razz
I've already started working on the actual models for replacement. I have attached a picture for comparison-sake.

@ Everyone
Well,as promised, here is the link to the Alpha 1.0 Build of Quidditch. I'd like to get your crits and comments (harsh ones as well). Smile

Reply with quote Saturday, May 25, 2013

*Bump*

Exclamation
No reviews yet? Are none of you interested in this idea?

Mima The Disciple View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Sunday, May 26, 2013

Hey Niels. I have just tried your alpha, and I like your idea. Since I'm what one would call a Potter-fan, I do enjoy a good game of quidditch.
I have a few pieces of advice on what you "could" do next for the next small release (if you were even planning on that).
1) Animation when turning left and right.
2) Make the pitch a lot bigger. Information taken from here.
3) Those models you were talking about, the stands and everything? Do them! Smile
4) Quidditch is all about reflexes (at least from what I could tell). In your alpha, mouse pointer only changes the camera, not the direction your flyer is facing. Reflexes are much more demonstrated with a mouse than with w, a, s, d movement. I'd suggest you make it so that where you look with your mouse, you go there with your player.

As for your idea in general, I really like it. I don't know if you've heard of that old quidditch game, but it had some good elements in it. If you need inspiration or ideas, check that out. Smile
I think that's a nice review from me. I really look forward to your work and updates. Smile

AnTycrisT RocksTar View user's profile Send private message

nielsmillikan wrote : *Bump*

Exclamation
No reviews yet? Are none of you interested in this idea?

well... I always hated harry potter... anyway is nice to see once again your work nielsmillikan... even if is that ticklish stuff of harry potter...

Zeth The Admin View user's profile Send private message

What sort of critiques are you looking for, Niels? Graphics? Gameplay? Controls? Design, in general? What shortcomings are you already familiar with (so no repetition of suggestions or treading on planned changes are covered)?

Reply with quote Monday, May 27, 2013

@Mima
1. I didn't work on the animations at all since the placeholder model was just to test the code. I've started working on the actual models and will get them in-game with the proper animations soon enough.
2. Yeah I'm going to re-consider the scales now. I had a feeling it wasn't correct but wasn't too sure about it.
Thanks for the link.
3. Hehe,I promise to get those models done by next alpha. Smile
4. Well about the controls, a few features haven't yet been implemented like directional dash, barrel roll. These play a key role in avoiding other players and bludgers. As for the direction control with mouse, I avoided it since I thought it would make the game too simple. I have plan to make some changes to both the character and camera control however.

I have played Quidditch World Cup by the way. It was a good game but the seeker part was a bit boring which happens to the main focus of this game.
Thanks for the advices. Really appreciate it. Smile

@ AnTy
Hehe, I've expected some people to dislike it. So no problems. Glad to see you after a long time as well Smile

@Zeth
Ah I've stated in my first post that this alpha was released for getting critiques for the gameplay idea and control. I know that graphics are not upto the mark and the gameplay is limited and monotonous. Looking forward to your suggestions/complaints.

Reply with quote Sunday, June 30, 2013

Well it's been a long time but its out! Here you go folks :
Crazy Quidditch Alpha 2.0

Postscript. : Content is awaiting authorization so it may take a while before it appears Razz

Zay View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Monday, July 01, 2013

Really great!

Reply with quote Tuesday, July 02, 2013

I've tried your alpha Niels, and I'm impressed. The models are much better, the textures as well.
Crits:
1) The snitch should be a bit less visible. It's the snitch, so it should be hard to find. Razz
2) The textures are fine until you look at them from up close. I don't think it would hurt performance much if you made them a bit higher in quality. Smile
3) The snitch should DEFINITELY be more erratic + faster! A lot faster!
4) Controls. Controls are very original, but very hard to use. The main problem comes from speed increase/decrease. I had problems with my camera moving while trying to increase/decrease speed. I'd suggest either make it so that for example left mouse button increases and right mouse button decreases your speed.
5) When you hit something, you shouldn't just slow down/stop. There should be more dire consequences. If you hit something while going as fast as you can, you should probably fall off completely or something. (Malfoy, second movie, first game).
6) The blurring should be an option. I like it, but I know some people don't.

suggestions:
1) Animations. You need animations on the character. That will make it SO MUCH MORE alive. When you increase your speed, make him lean forward. When you turn left, make him pull the broom to the left, etc.
2) If I were you I'd add some floating models. Anything can do. But they should represent other players. So people can see how it is to actually go around them.
3) The turning. The turning should be much more extreme. That's why I was saying the turning should be mouse based. Sometimes you'll need to turn slowly to follow the snitch. Sometimes you'll need to make a sharp turn to avoid the bludger or something else. The WASD turning is original and great, but it doesn't give you different levels of turning.
4) The next step you could take could be another game mechanic. One of the most important things for being a seeker is to be able to stay on your broom while another seeker is next to you. So you could add another seeker just to try out the physical exchange between 2 players.
5) I would advise against creating the "catch" animation or making it possible in game. The longer you can only test and not really finish, the better.

I'll try out some more, and come up with new ideas. But I am following your work, and I hope to see more of it from you in future Niels. Smile

Edit: After re-reading my post, I noticed that most of the crits were actually suggestions. But I don't think it needs changing, so I'm sorry if that causes any confusion.

@Mima
Thanks for the suggestions Mima. Though I think I should have one point more clear and that is, that this release focused mainly on graphical updates instead of gameplay ones. However your suggestions are still valuable as they'll help while working on alpha 3 which will primarily be focusing on gameplay updates. However I'd like you to clear out a few points you mentioned :

Mima wrote :
2) If I were you I'd add some floating models. Anything can do. But they should represent other players. So people can see how it is to actually go around them.
4) The next step you could take could be another game mechanic. One of the most important things for being a seeker is to be able to stay on your broom while another seeker is next to you. So you could add another seeker just to try out the physical exchange between 2 players.

@Zay
Thanks Smile

@Others
Confused

Kakarot2550 View user's profile Send private message

How about a gameplay video because I cannot run the game(CPU problems).

Shenku RiO Incarnate View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Wednesday, July 03, 2013

I would try it to give you some feedback, but I'm not really a Harry Potter fan, and I had all the Quidditch I could handle after last year's C2E2 convention....

I was working the booth for my school, and some guy ran up to our booth with a goofy looking cape and a broom between his legs, looked at me and the school's admissions rep at our booth and asked "did you see a snitch go by?" Me and the admissions rep just kind of pointed to the left and said "I don't know, I think I saw it go that way." The guy nodded and said "thank you kind sirs" with an overly dramatic flourish, and then ran off into the crowd of people with the broom still between his legs...

Me and the admissions rep just kind of looked at each other and laughed, not really knowing what the heck just happened... It was only later during the convention that I realized there was a Quidditch tournament going on there all weekend...

Reply with quote Tuesday, July 09, 2013

I just meant some obstacles. Anything really, just so people can try out speeds, turning, and maneuvers. Smile

Here I meant this (the first 7 seconds)

Zay View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Man I miss this movie...

Reply with quote Monday, October 07, 2013

I'm back and this time with the release of the 3rd alpha version! Please try it out and let me know your views. Also please share it with your friends so that I have a wider audience Razz

http://www.moddb.com/games/crazy-quidditch

Really hoping for a better response this time..

Kakarot2550 View user's profile Send private message

Looks great!I'm going to play it!!!!!!

Richma View user's profile Send private message

nielsmillikan wrote : I'm back and this time with the release of the 3rd alpha version! Please try it out and let me know your views. Also please share it with your friends so that I have a wider audience Razz

http://www.moddb.com/games/crazy-quidditch

Really hoping for a better response this time..

I for sure will try this game when I fix my PC but until then just to let you know I will share your game and progress on my Facebook page TV games 4 You & blog page http://tvgames4you.blogspot.com/p/harry-potter.html

Since this is a Harry Potter game it will be found under Harry Potter games I hope people will like your work and maybe you will get more support or even someone to help you to develop this game.

TRL View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Tuesday, October 08, 2013

This is shaping up quite nicely Niels.

Snatch that snitch up!

DeamonBlade View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Monday, October 21, 2013

Duuuuuuuuude!
This.
Is.
Amazing!

Seriously, I really hope you are still working on this.
Because I think it has some potential.

One thing I would like to add, is having an option for inverted controls. Like, move the mouse up and you will fly downwards, move the mouse down and you will fly up.

If you ever need some help, or even a tester, hit me up. Smile

EDIT: Oh yes, add sound, sound is good. Razz

AraVinD View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Wednesday, October 23, 2013

nice game niels Very Happy just don't know how to stear the broom Embarassed

DeamonBlade View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Aravind wrote : nice game niels Very Happy just don't know how to stear the broom Embarassed

hit escape, and set the mouse sensitivity to something other than zero. Razz

Also reading the ReadMe file helps. Smile

Actions

Online [ 0 / 6125]