Content

Just For Fun ... J.F.F

GOKU_2020 View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Hi!!
This forum is just for fun.
Here you can show or upload your characters.
I won't mind that they are April Fools or they don't exist in the anime.
In this way no one will upload the silly addons on MODDB.
And all of them will be here.

MadaraZ View user's profile Send private message

GOKU_2020 wrote : Hi!!
This forum is just for fun.
Here you can show or upload your characters.
I won't mind that they are April Fools or they don't exist in the anime.
In this way no one will upload the silly addons on MODDB.
And all of them will be here.

Great idea! Very Happy after all there's no such thing called bandwidth Laughing ... Confused

Mima The Disciple View user's profile Send private message

Actually, any addons, characters, maps, models, or anything should be uploaded here. Even if those are simple texture swaps, or texture edits, or anything of the sort, people need to start from somewhere. If one doesn't upload their work, how will they improve?

Mima wrote : Actually, any addons, characters, maps, models, or anything should be uploaded here. Even if those are simple texture swaps, or texture edits, or anything of the sort, people need to start from somewhere. If one doesn't upload their work, how will they improve?

Bandwidth?? Guess it doesn't exist anymore and everything has unlimited space Laughing

Edit: Lets be serious Confused how??? *laughing out loud*

GOKU_2020 View user's profile Send private message

No Please Its just for fun.
Any new addons even which are real or even fake.
This is Simple Addon Thread of Any addon.

Mima The Disciple View user's profile Send private message

As far as I'm aware Salty Sam we won't run out of storage space any time soon on these forums. So any addons are welcome.

Shenku RiO Incarnate View user's profile Send private message

Mima wrote : As far as I'm aware Salty Sam we won't run out of storage space any time soon on these forums. So any addons are welcome.

This. Brad also encourages uploading things to the forums here as opposed to other sites because the links here will be permanent(I.E. no dead links) where as some upload sites (Megaupload for example) are not.

And as for bandwidth, I don't think that's too much of a concern when it comes to uploading/downloading addons. I think the hosting plan this site uses more than accommodates the potential usage from addon downloads, assuming there's a cap on bandwidth to begin with(which some plans out there do not have and thus have unlimited bandwidth available).

Shenku wrote :

Mima wrote : As far as I'm aware Salty Sam we won't run out of storage space any time soon on these forums. So any addons are welcome.

This. Brad also encourages uploading things to the forums here as opposed to other sites because the links here will be permanent(I.E. no dead links) where as some upload sites (Megaupload for example) are not.

And as for bandwidth, I don't think that's too much of a concern when it comes to uploading/downloading addons. I think the hosting plan this site uses more than accommodates the potential usage from addon downloads, assuming there's a cap on bandwidth to begin with(which some plans out there do not have and thus have unlimited bandwidth available).

I never remembered it being unlimited before years ago, I guess Zeth got rich Laughing

Salty Sam wrote :

Shenku wrote :

I never remembered it being unlimited before years ago, I guess Zeth got rich :*laughing out loud*:

Using GoDaddy as an example(because it's what I use currently for my own web hosting needs), unlimited bandwidth or storage is not as expensive as you seem to think it is.

http://www.godaddy.com/hosting/web-hosting-new.aspx

If you look at sites like this, you'll actually notice that such plans aren't that expensive at all. Even for their cheapest plan of $6.99 a month, GoDaddy gives you unlimited bandwidth(though it's limited to 100 Gigs of storage, but their mid-range one at $8.99 a month gives you unlimited storage space for not too much more), so I'm fairly certain that it's not an uncommon thing for most other hosting sites to have, unless it's a completely free hosting service, in which case you get what you pay for.

Secondly, Brad doesn't pay for the hosting costs here out of his own pocket(or at least, not all by himself, and he shouldn't have to considering how much we use the site.), a bunch of us, myself included, donated money to help pay the server costs back in April/May of 2012 which is good up until this upcoming June I believe, and the overall cost was just south of $200 for the server(and that's for every two years of service, which is really not that bad compared to some hosting plans, though checking just now it seems the price may have gone up slightly, but still isn't too bad considering all it gives us...).

Reply with quote Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Shenku wrote :

Salty Sam wrote :

Shenku wrote :

I never remembered it being unlimited before years ago, I guess Zeth got rich :*laughing out loud*:

Using GoDaddy as an example(because it's what I use currently for my own web hosting needs), unlimited bandwidth or storage is not as expensive as you seem to think it is.

http://www.godaddy.com/hosting/web-hosting-new.aspx

If you look at sites like this, you'll actually notice that such plans aren't that expensive at all. Even for their cheapest plan of $6.99 a month, GoDaddy gives you unlimited bandwidth(though it's limited to 100 Gigs of storage, but their mid-range one at $8.99 a month gives you unlimited storage space for not too much more), so I'm fairly certain that it's not an uncommon thing for most other hosting sites to have, unless it's a completely free hosting service, in which case you get what you pay for.

Secondly, Brad doesn't pay for the hosting costs here out of his own pocket(or at least, not all by himself, and he shouldn't have to considering how much we use the site.), a bunch of us, myself included, donated money to help pay the server costs back in April/May of 2012 which is good up until this upcoming June I believe, and the overall cost was just south of $200 for the server(and that's for every two years of service, which is really not that bad compared to some hosting plans, though checking just now it seems the price may have gone up slightly, but still isn't too bad considering all it gives us...).

I know about this but... just a few years ago you were saying the same thing *laughing out loud*, I guess they must've upgraded Laughing

I don't seem to recall any such posts... You sure that was me...?

I know I've mentioned before that people shouldn't embed youtube videos into their posts because it vacuums up bandwidth, but that's not really an issue of using bandwidth up so much as embedding videos making the forums load slower because more information has to be loaded... That's about the closest that I can remember anyways...

Shenku wrote : I don't seem to recall any such posts... You sure that was me...?

I know I've mentioned before that people shouldn't embed youtube videos into their posts because it vacuums up bandwidth, but that's not really an issue of using bandwidth up so much as embedding videos making the forums load slower because more information has to be loaded... That's about the closest that I can remember anyways...

Hmmm all I remember is this http://ZEQ2.com/lite/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5180

And MDave here http://ZEQ2.com/lite/forums/viewtopic.php?t=903&start=

Salty Sam wrote :

Shenku wrote : I don't seem to recall any such posts... You sure that was me...?

My post there was more about large images as avatars causing longer load times, because regardless of how much bandwidth there is available, unlimited or not, only so much information can be transferred at a time. More information means longer load times, and thus the restrictions on avatar file sizes for the sake of efficiency.

As for MDave's post, it looked to me like more of a concern about cluttering up the site with pointless nonsense. Just because we have large amounts of space for storage doesn't mean we need to abuse it, because that'll only bog down the site and make it run slower because of too much trash on the server's hard drives. We want you guys to attach things to the site, but we don't want you to just clutter it up with garbage that doesn't really need to be there... There is a difference after all.

Shenku wrote :

Salty Sam wrote :

My post there was more about large images as avatars causing longer load times, because regardless of how much bandwidth there is available, unlimited or not, only so much information can be transferred at a time. More information means longer load times, and thus the restrictions on avatar file sizes for the sake of efficiency.

As for MDave's post, it looked to me like more of a concern about cluttering up the site with pointless nonsense. Just because we have large amounts of space for storage doesn't mean we need to abuse it, because that'll only bog down the site and make it run slower because of too much trash on the server's hard drives. We want you guys to attach things to the site, but we don't want you to just clutter it up with garbage that doesn't really need to be there... There is a difference after all.

All though I understand what your saying I've seen addons with a a simple red line on the hair calling it Super Mega Ultra Mega Hyper Xtreme (times two) Saiyan or something *super mega extreme intense laughter* Isn't that Garbage? But at least it's not in Moddb then so fine, still the site will lag, and the fact that some of these guy's have been known to leave viruses.

Zeth The Admin View user's profile Send private message

• External images are more of a layout / dead-link problem than bandwidth-related.
  • External videos (ex: youtube) was a forum display glitch that's fixed now.
  • Dave's concerns were back in 2009 and due to a misunderstanding of our resources.
  • Attaching images and individual characters/maps to the forums IS still suggested.
  • We did have some server issues a year or two back, but that was almost exclusive to a mass group of users establishing lingering connections on web-hosted (non-forums) 300MB+ addon packs -- which caused our host to throttle our bandwidth.
  • We have well over 10TB of monthly bandwidth and several terabytes of storage space at our present host. Although we were averaging 2TB monthly bandwidth back in the day, presently we're only using around 250GB average.

Zeth wrote :

• External images are more of a layout / dead-link problem than bandwidth-related.
  • External videos (ex: youtube) was a forum display glitch that's fixed now.
  • Dave's concerns were back in 2009 and due to a misunderstanding of our resources.
  • Attaching images and individual characters/maps to the forums IS still suggested.
  • We did have some server issues a year or two back, but that was almost exclusive to a mass group of users establishing lingering connections on web-hosted (non-forums) 300MB+ addon packs -- which caused our host to throttle our bandwidth.
  • We have well over 10TB of monthly bandwidth and several terabytes of storage space at our present host. Although we were averaging 2TB monthly bandwidth back in the day, presently we're only using around 250GB average.

10 TERABYTES NO WAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY Shocked

Actions

Online [ 0 / 6125]