Content

Story Mode for ZEQ2

DBZkrisfhugz View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Thursday, December 26, 2013

Hey Coders Can you guys make a Story Mode for ZEQ2?
it would be fun

Awsome425 View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Tuesday, January 14, 2014

DBZkrisfhugz wrote : Hey Coders Can you guys make a Story Mode for ZEQ2?
it would be fun

That story would be so short. You can beat people in basically under a minute.

Maszek View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Saturday, January 18, 2014

Awsome425 wrote :

it would be fun

Actually, slight code edits and a lot of config edits would allow for 3 hour fights straight from the show.

The bigger problem is that there is not an estabilished team of coders ready to implement every feature requested on the forums Razz

Maszek wrote :

Awsome425 wrote :

it would be fun

Actually, slight code edits and a lot of config edits would allow for 3 hour fights straight from the show.

The bigger problem is that there is not an estabilished team of coders ready to implement every feature requested on the forums Razz

Don't you think 3 hours is a bit too much time for a fight? I'd say 10 minutes is plenty. Basically how commercial Dragon Ball Z games are set up for fights

Maszek View user's profile Send private message

Awsome425 wrote :

Maszek wrote :

Awsome425 wrote :

it would be fun

Don't you think 3 hours is a bit too much time for a fight? I'd say 10 minutes is plenty. Basically how commercial Dragon Ball Z games are set up for fights

If we are going for gameplay balance or how feasible it is to finish a fight, then yes, 10-20 minutes is more than enough.

However, seeing how ZEQ2 Lite (and especially ZEQ2) are going for accuracy rather than balance, I wouldn't be shocked to see several hour battles in future versions.

Zielan KoRnified View user's profile Send private message

Awsome425 wrote :

What Dragon Ball Z are you watching? 3 hours is barely enough time to kill a henchman or allow a character to power up, if we're looking at the series from an "intrinsic" standpoint alone.

Zielan wrote :

Awsome425 wrote :

What Dragon Ball Z are you watching? 3 hours is barely enough time to kill a henchman or allow a character to power up, if we're looking at the series from an "intrinsic" standpoint alone.

I ment it for gameplay wise. Seeing a fight stretch for 3 hours his pretty much too much. Unless I'm watching the show, I don't want to play a game and have to fight for 3 hours and have huge story left. There are 100s of battles in Dragon Ball Z and finishing 1 fight in 3 hours knowing you have a lot of others to go.

Maszek wrote : However, seeing how Lite (and especially ) are going for accuracy rather than balance, wouldn't be shocked to see several hour battles in future versions.

Even for having accuracy. Stretching on the fight is not the best idea if you want 3 hours. People will get disengaged and probably go back to multiplayer where fights are a lot shorter. I'm pretty sure 1/6-1/10 of story mode players would actually do that.

Which is why I's prefer the commercial games style of story (Raging Blast to be exact). The fights last about 10 - 20 minutes each, you gets scenes, and you get talking while the fight is happening.

Shenku RiO Incarnate View user's profile Send private message

Here's the first and only real stumbling block to making a story mode, and no it's not balancing the mechanics to make fights last 3 hours.

The engine as it stands right at this moment lacks any form of semi-smart A.I. or Artificial Intelligence, and therefor a Single Player Story Mode is not possible right now because there's nothing to fight, let alone interact with (supporting NPCs such as having Gohan in Raditz's Capsule needing to be rescued, or Bulma being around to lend you the Dragon Radar, exc.).

True, Franco(I think) managed to add some bots in for certain levels, but by all accounts they are very purely "ill-advised" A.I. and don't know how to use all their abilities or move around properly, instead rushing straight towards the player and spamming the same attacks over and over. Plus, as was a very big problem with our sorta sister game Bid For Power, if the bots don't see anything, I think they just sit there and do nothing. There's no behaviour states such as patrolling that tells them to go searching for a player.

Basically, for us to even attempt to put in a story mode, we need to get a robust A.I. system in place first to handle allies and enemies in a more flexible way. The problem is no one around here apart from Franco have really even messed with setting up A.I. code for the most part.

Besides, if you can set up the A.I. to properly mimic a live player's skill level(maybe even automatically scale difficulty level to how the player is performing in the game, giving experiencenced players a challenge and newer players some room to breath) then those long fights will happen on their own without having to change a bunch of extra code to rebalance things. Basically, if the NPC is smart, it will know when to back off from the player, or when to move in and attack, which all the Bots we've seen so far don't understand how to do because they're not coded to be that smart.

DBZkrisfhugz View user's profile Send private message

well there is a person who made A.I. Bots in ZEQ2 , He attack Range attacks like kamehameha when you are in a far distance and when you go near him he attacks mêlée and he detects you . but if you go far away he can't detect you

Shenku RiO Incarnate View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Sunday, January 19, 2014

DBZkrisfhugz wrote : well there is a person who made A.I. Bots in ZEQ2 , He attack Range attacks like kamehameha when you are in a far distance and when you go near him he attacks mêlée and he detects you . but if you go far away he can't detect you

Yes, but those bots are not functional on all maps(they only work on old Bid For Power maps if I recall correctly), nor are they very flexible or intelligent. They're also relatively blind, and their attack rotation is fairly predictable, both of which makes them not very fun to fight against.

We would need something much more advanced to make an enjoyable single player experience, and as I've said, no one's really been working on this particular system.

Actions

Online [ 0 / 6125]