Content

Some Gigantic Unanswered Questions

Void63450 View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Friday, March 28, 2014

Hey there. First let me apologize, I'm not sure where to place this thread as I am a newcomer. If this belongs in the add-on section, please move it for me. I've yet to try this game, but I've been looking into it quite frequently over the past couple days. After trying to find some answers, I've had no luck, so I turn to you..

Does each character play differently from each other? As in, are there specific advantages or disadvantages to each character? I'm aware that the "bare bones" (without add-ons, mods, etc.) version of ZEQ2-Lite only have three characters, so I suppose I'm asking if this community makes it a point to make each community-made character different. Example: Are Super Saiyan 4 Goku's attacks very obviously stronger than Super Saiyan 3? And are certain attacks specific to a certain level of transformation? (Normal Goku has Spirit Bomb, Super Saiyan does not, but Super Saiyan 3 has the Dragon Fist). Also, are some characters slower than others? (Oozaru is gigantic and punishingly strong, but painfully slow).

Also, I'm having quite a hard time seeing differences between add-on packs.. there's no descriptions of what's exactly included in each pack, on neither here or ModDB. Would it be possible for someone to compile a list of the most popular/best quality add-on packs out there and actually list what characters and what maps are available in each? I really would love to get into this game, and I know a lot of my friends would be down to play it as well, and I just want to have a clearer explanation of the available resources before I dive in.

Other less important questions-

Are beam/power struggles an event in the game? And if not, are there mods that make it available? If it is available in game, is there a quick time event like the PlayStation 2 games where I have to button mash against an opponent?

I noticed that a lot of these add-on packs make the various levels of transformation for a single character as multiple playable characters (instead of Goku charging up in order to reach Super Saiyan, you can just choose him at the character selection menu.) Can those characters still charge up (or power down) to reach different levels and are those seperate playable characters just a shortcut? (Example: I choose Super Saiyan 4 Goku at the start of the game. if I get beat up quite a bit, will my character power down to Super Saiyan 3, 2, 1, and then normal?) or do those characters simply not power up/down at all?

I saw in the options menu of some player's youtube video that there is a button that makes you use items. Are these items something that are found throughout the map/gained by defeating people, or are they already on the character at the start of the game?

Sorry to bombard all of you with questions like this, I just wish some people would make their add-ons a bit clearer.

ryku220 View user's profile Send private message

all I can really say is that trying the game out is the best way to answer your questions. some addon characters and gamepacks have the same characters but different animations so the characters would have different attacks but overall there pretty much the same. some character are somewhat overpowered than others that the only thing that really separates the characters from each other not including the design of the character and the animations. I can't really tell you more than I know so yeah. Very Happy

Thanks for your reply. I'm guessing it's more in the vein of Destrega? Old psx game. Anyway, which add one would you all say offers the most to the game? I want to know so my friends and I can all get the same software.

well it all depends I have revo 5, gold edition, and revison. I say gold edition personal because of the retextured desert,and Namek map, and music Very Happy

Shenku RiO Incarnate View user's profile Send private message

Firstly, ZEQ2-Lite is not yet a game, it's still in development and as of yet still has no goals, objectives, missions, stories, or otherwise reasons to "play" currently. Granted, that doesn't seem to stop a lot of people from coming up with their own ideas of "playing" anyways...

Now that explaining the status of the project is out of the way, I'll try to answer you're other questions as best as I can.

For the most part, each character is essentially the same as each other character with the exception being what tiers(transformations) and attacks(Kamehameha, Final Flash, exc.) are available. And yes, some attacks are even limited to specific tiers. Cell Saga Vegeta can only use Final Flash when in Super Saiyan or above, and Goku can only access Spirit Bomb when in his normal state. <Edit> Forgot to mention, yes, some characters can be faster or slower, and stronger or weaker than other characters, this is all controlled from the tier.cfg files within the tier folders of each character, and allows for different tiers to have different stats as well.</Edit>

Most addon packs are cumbersome and jumbled messes of the so-called "best" addons that have been released. Some of them may contain some fairly good characters or maps, but a lot of them also have needless duplicate characters, single tiered transformations(in which a Goku Super Saiyan 4 can not go below that form), and sometimes even poor quality characters as well. Many of them are mostly just reskinned versions of the base characters, and do not reflect the quality standards of the more official SVN characters/maps.

There are also more than just three characters currently in the Stable SVN build. The Public Beta 1 build had only Goku, Piccolo, and Raditz, however the current Stable version also has Frieza, Nappa, and Vegeta(Saiyan and Cell Saga versions). If you intend to download ZEQ2-Lite, I would recommend you download the Stable SVN version instead of the Public Beta 1 version. Some features are slightly more polished, and servers are much easier to find and join.

Yes there are Beam Struggles, no they are not quick time events. They're still a little buggy, but you win a Beam Struggle by using the Ki Boost ability to put more energy into your attack. Who ever puts more power into their attack generally wins.

As for items, that's a left over feature from Quake 3 that was mostly removed menu option not withstanding. At present there are no items, although the intention was to eventually add things like Sensu Beans.

For the rest, Ryku220's right, the best way to know is to download it and give it a try.

Thank you very much for your thoughtful and informative reply! You answered any other remaining questions that I had as well. I apologized if some of my questions were "uninformed participator-ish" as I just discovered this game the other day. I'm not the type who bugs people to death with "is it done yet? when is it coming out?" type questions, trust me when I say that I detest such people. But I am quite curious as to what ideas the developers have in store for the future of this game. Is there an area where I can view and discuss with them? Upon viewing some gameplay, I definitely had a plethora of ideas that I think could improve the game and make several Dragon Ball Z fans happy. I'm not at all trying to say my ideas are superior for anyone else, I just wish to help is all, and this project has a whole lot of potential. I have absolutely zero knowledge of making games, code/script writing, or anything like that (all I'm particularly good at is music, and I'm a mediocre artist), but I would enjoy being able to try and help in any way that I can. If not, thanks very much for your informative reply.

Reply with quote Saturday, March 29, 2014

Well at present there isn't really an actual dedicated development team per se, but the project is open source so anyone who wants to help out is technically the developer, including you if you can find something that interests you.

We have a plethora of character artists in this community currently, but to be honest the things we're lacking are primarily things like coding, effects/particle scripting, and map-making. There's a few people who work on stuff here and there for each, but our more knowledgeable programmers haven't really made any significant changes in a while for one Real-Life reason or another, few people really mess around with the particle system at all, and some of our better mappers are mostly M.I.A.... Music is another area that I suppose hasn't seen too many additions either, I think only three or so people have worked on music for ZEQ2-Lite in all, so additional musicians couldn't hurt.

Otherwise I think the easiest place to get started for most people just starting learning how to make things for the game is to mess around with the attacks through the default.phys and default.grfx files, and tinker with the tier.cfg file settings. Other than that, if you have any specific questions on how to do something, take a quick look through the learning forum, and if you don't see what you're looking for then just ask. Smile

Think View user's profile Send private message

And Krillin!

I will look into it. The only experience I had was making my own maps for Day of Defeat, but I was never very good at it and I'm not sure what program I'd need to use in order to make it for ZEQ2, but I can try picking it back up. I would still need to see what already exists before I try anything though.

For making maps, you need Net Radiant, and preferably also a 3D modeling package of some form such as either Blender(free) or 3DS Max(Student version is free from their learning community) to make additional map objects that Net Radiant's brushes might not be able to create.

Gimp/Photoshop will likely also be needed for making textures.

Think wrote : And Krillin!

No one cares about Krillin.

Are there any dedicated modding groups for this project? I'd be surprised if there isn't, given how much potential this game has. If we could get a large dedicated group of writers/designers, I think we could get this to snowball in no time. Has anyone though of adding an RPG style skill/leveling system for each character? Maybe even a store of some kind to obtain items? I could go more in depth if anyone wants to hear, but I think it could add a level of depth that we haven't seen in a dragonball game before.

Eagle The Purpose View user's profile Send private message

I'd be surprised if there isn't, given how much potential this game has. If we could get a large dedicated group of writers/designers

on this I say a big *laughing out loud*

no one is paid to continue this, so no one is interested... the quality become to be perfect for maps/characters but the "game" is not updated since 1 year... and the last update was 1 map... I think like you that ZEQ2-lite project have a doodling potential, but nobody want to work on it Sad

Ah, I agree. But at the same time, I don't. Look at how far and how much people have chosen to do (characters,maps) through their own will alone? That's what's needed. A group of people like that who simply have a passion. I think there's a lot of people who would like to but don't have the motivation or resource to do so. heck, I believe all the right people are right here on this forum. Unfortunately I think the problem doesn't reside in whether or not their getting paid to do something and it truly lay in the typical thought process that has bred nothing but mediocrity in our society. "I could do this, or I could just wait for someone else to".

for getting paid on ZEQ2, the ZEQ2 team must have permission to use Dragon Ball brand (akira toriyama, toei...)

for addons, did you see moddb page ? it's fully of recolor like dark Gohan of da deadling night of the nightmare, chaos Vegetto... I don't tell there isn't good addons, but there's only a few Neutral

Personnaly I'll maybe try to learn quake3 coding to help on that way but now I'm focused on few characters :3

for this: "I could do this, or I could just wait for someone else to"

there's not just that, already, few peoples who can animate svn characters wait another one to do it... but there's some guys who wait the finished character to make a very bad edit.. Like this: http://www.moddb.com/mods/saiyans-revival/addons/evil-Gohan

BUT! On ZEQ2 forums, the last few days, there's a grouped work on few inedit maps refered to Dragon Ball/Dragon Ball Z Smile

There's still hope, even if some of us want to see more on the code too Sad (better hud, better menu/character menu, better fight system)

We are just hoping it will come.

Simply because this is a project, it has a whole lot of potential. I just don't want it to be turned into Earth Special Forces or Bid For Power. Both are great, but we don't need another one of those games.

yeah having a full hd textured model... that's one of the reasons why I don't like Earth Special Forces..

Don't get me wrong, when I said there was no dedicated development team, that is true, but that's not the problem at all with why there have been few if any major updates, addon packs aside.

If there's been a lack of updates, it's because everyone has stopped contributing to the SVN and is only focusing on their own projects. Folks seemed to have forgotten that this is a group project, and thus haven't been working together as much as they could be. If you can stop this whole "I'm better than you all" mentality and work together instead of separately, the project would be advanced a lot faster.

PREACH BROTHER SHENKU LET YOUR VOICE BE HEARD *laughing out loud* Very Happy

+1 shenku

but works by 2 or 3 is good but 4 begin to be hard (for me)

and contributing to svn is hard x)

but if someone made an upper/lower of Sc17 I can give the head for the svn :3 (if it's good enough :'|)

if there's bad works if because peoples are lazy to continue/improve... it's a pity..

Just to know, why Zeth doesn't continue to code ? if franco has time when he doesn't works on the android version there would be 2 devs :3

Wh1t34Gl3(SAS) wrote : Just to know, why Zeth doesn't continue to code ? if franco has time when he doesn't works on the android version there would be 2 devs :3

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe Brad is largely too busy to contribute much, but otherwise he's mostly stepped back from active development and taken on more of a mentorship role. Thing is, there aren't too many people who come here looking to learn coding.

Can't speak for Franco...

Do you know a program to edit Quake 3 code ? (vm/qvm etc...)

If I have time I can try to learn :>

Wh1t34Gl3(SAS) wrote : Do you know a program to edit Quake 3 code ? (vm/qvm etc...)

If I have time I can try to learn :>

You don't edit the VM or QVM files directly, you go to the source folder and edit the .h and .c files there, and use the batch file to recompile. Assuming you kept the source and build folders both within the same folder structure they have on the SVN it should overwrite the qvm/vm files entirely when you run the batch file.

As far as editing, you can use pretty much any text editor, but I'd recommend something better suited for programming, such as Notepad++ or Context(there are a ton of other ones, but those are the first two that come to mind...), that way you can better track changes you make, hi-light keywords across the whole file, keep track of line numbers for specific bits of code, exc..

Reply with quote Sunday, March 30, 2014

.h like headers files ? for c I don't remember..

pretty different way to code than other languages : >

hoping my little knowlegde on c will help to understand what is what..

does the source, .h and .c are aleady in the game folder or I have to download it from here ?

Wh1t34Gl3(SAS) wrote : .h like headers files ? for c I don't remember..

pretty different way to code than other languages : >

hoping my little knowlegde on c will help to understand what is what..

does the source, .h and .c are aleady in the game folder or I have to download it from here ?

It is C, and yes the .h files are the headers, while the .c files actually have all the code that controls everything.

To specify where they are exactly since there seems to still be some confusion:

Game: "http://ZEQ2.com/SVN/Build"
Characters/map files: "http://ZEQ2.com/SVN/Media"
Source code: "http://ZEQ2.com/SVN/Source"

So all the source code should be in the folder named "Source", which should have been downloaded along with the Build and Media folders if you did your SVN checkout from the location: "http://ZEQ2.com/SVN".

okay, thanks shenku :3

I'll download tortoise svn, checking codes, and will have to continue to learn C language. hoping it will be fine..

Actions

Online [ 0 / 6125]