Content

ZEQ2 (Unity)

TonicDBZ View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Monday, July 28, 2014

Hello guys, is there images of ZEQ2 (Unity)?
And is it going to be better than ZEQ2-Lite?

MDave ZEQ2-lite Ninja View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Tuesday, July 29, 2014

It looks the exact same as ZEQ2-Lite, except missing a few things here and there Wink

Zeth The Admin View user's profile Send private message

Hello guys, is there images of ZEQ2 (Unity)?
And is it going to be better than ZEQ2-Lite?

The ZEQ2 Unity project was never started even. There were practically zero applicants from the September recruit attempt.

TonicDBZ View user's profile Send private message

MDave wrote : It looks the exact same as ZEQ2-Lite, except missing a few things here and there Wink

It looks the same and incomplete? ohhhh Laughing

Eagle The Purpose View user's profile Send private message

Will the project move on unity or stay on Quake 3 in the future ? Or maybe it depends of contributors..

But it would be cool to change to a better engine. Maybe it'll motivate peoples more to contribute if it's on unity. (even if the precedent recruit attempt failed)

There's so many games made on unity now.. I think there's more chances.

MDave ZEQ2-lite Ninja View user's profile Send private message

It would be pretty easy to remake it in Unity but ...

It would take far longer to make it user moddable. So anyone can put extra characters, maps into it, for example.

And not only that, but making the ki attacks and skills user configurable beyond what is possible with ZEQ2-Lite would take a good long while too, to make sure anyone can make their favourite character, even from an entirely different show, work as you would expect it to.

If we did just the base game, not moddable or configurable though, yeah it would be done pretty quick Smile but we need people interested and skilled in Unity to help us out!

Reply with quote Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Nelson Sexton did it with Unturned (indie game). It's unity based and very soon (few days), all the content will be available and modable.

And he is alone (and he just had 17, just like me :3, it's impressive how some peoples can be that performant....)... This guy work faster than light, the game was made in no time.. He has even reach the top 3 of steam games...

He has developped a good techniques that allow a LOT more of possibility to improve the game:

"The last couple days I've been debugging the new networking system and as far as I can tell everything is working properly now! Even with it being quite similar in structure to the Unity networking, however, actually integrating it into the existing code would take quite a bit of time. For this reason I think a better solution will be to do the opposite, porting bits of the game to the new networking one piece at a time.

By doing it this way not only can I push out test builds faster, but I'll be able to go over every single asset in the game optimizing them and converting them to a bundle based loading system. This will allow more data to be stored for everything such as translations of the game into Russian and Portuguese (or whatever language you want to add), as well as the ability for you to mod EVERYTHING in the game. Literally every file will be publicly available to be modded and uploaded to Steam Workshop, or you can add your own custom content with some in-game tools like a level editor! "

Do you think, ZEQ2 going on steam greenlight would have more chances of recruiting ? (no doubt peoples will see a big potential in the ZEQ2 project, as it was with Earth Special Forces)

Zeth The Admin View user's profile Send private message

Will the project move on unity or stay on Quake 3 in the future ? Or maybe it depends of contributors..

What do you mean by 'move'? ZEQ2-lite never had an active development team. It's been 100% contributors ever since the initial release in 2009. ZEQ2, on the other hand, did (and was again planned to) have a development team that meets, works, and plans regularly. There are very few experienced developers that would want to work in Quake 3 over Unity. The continuation of the project depends on developer contact actually occurring.

But it would be cool to change to a better engine. Maybe it'll motivate peoples more to contribute if it's on unity. (even if the precedent recruit attempt failed)

Technically, this notion was conceived (for the same reasons) in 2007 when the plan was to define our own engine from an assortment of existing libraries intermixed with custom handling/logic/interface code -- I.e : Zios.

It would be pretty easy to remake it in Unity but ...

Making a game and making a game PROPERLY are two very different things. The process is FAR more critical than the results.

It would take far longer to make it user moddable. So anyone can put extra characters, maps into it, for example.

That's actually not true. We've already almost entirely made run-time loadable assets in Unity (mesh, animation, scenes, etc.). Essentially everything but UnityScript/C# code and GLSL/HLSL/CG shader code can be imported at runtime with what we have created -- and there were even proposed compilation solutions for those for the future.

And not only that, but making the ki attacks and skills user configurable beyond what is possible with ZEQ2-Lite would take a good long while too, to make sure anyone can make their favourite character, even from an entirely different show, work as you would expect it to.

That's definitely not true! A solid set of components would do the job and could still be accessed at runtime. Building actual interfaces for manipulating such user-data (rather than raw configs) would be VERY easy compared to the archaic nature of Quake 3's UI code.

Nelson Sexton did it with Unturned (indie game). It's unity based and very soon (few days), all the content will be available and modable.

Define modable in this context. Could you add your own character models, maps, materials, textures, etc. without any compilation/embedding/packing? Could you tweak game logic, player skills/movement/attack behaviour, game modes, interactions on a whole?

And he is alone (and he just had 17, just like me :3, it's impressive how some peoples can be that performant....)... This guy work faster than light, the game was made in no time.. He has even reach the top 3 of steam games...

No disrespect to him, but you need to understand that most up and coming young Unity "stars" are probably using existing extensions/plugins that you can find in the Unity store. Snapping these in and creating something is NOT the same as building your own systems from scratch fine-tuned to your needs.

Do you think, ZEQ2 going on steam greenlight would have more chances of recruiting ? (no doubt peoples will see a big potential in the ZEQ2 project, as it was with Earth Special Forces)

Steamlight is for games that are nearly done that have community appeal (and mostly commercialized). ZEQ2 is by no means at a stage even for a modicum of public exposure -- let alone such a platform. Work needs to happen first to at least build a functional prototype.

What do you mean by 'move'? ZEQ2-lite never had an active development team. It's been 100% contributors ever since the initial release in 2009. ZEQ2, on the other hand, did (and was again planned to) have a development team that meets, works, and plans regularly. There are very few experienced developers that would want to work in Quake 3 over Unity. The continuation of the project depends on developer contact actually occurring.

In the other message I was thinking of continuing the ZEQ2-lite project on unity still with contributors, but in 30 years it'll be same.....

In fact I think of continuing the ZEQ2 project (not lite that was based on contributors only) on unity with features/techniques that were used on ZEQ2-lite (which I think is the most advanced version of ZEQ2 and is the only one that has been openened to the public). I know it's a different language and way to code but I don't think it's improbable, many techniques are known and can be reproduced on unity.
And as you said, there's FEW of experienced developers that want to work on Quake 3 (and even less that want to work on ZEQ2-lite........).

Maybe doing like zed-you and rgb, making a group on skype for official development (conferences, discussion about the project, share files), but more restrained (to devloppers/testers only), would be better (because it works fine like it is actually).

Define modable in this context. Could you add your own character models, maps, materials, textures, etc. without any compilation/embedding/packing? Could you tweak game logic, player skills/movement/attack behaviour, game modes, interactions on a whole?

"as well as the ability for you to mod EVERYTHING in the game. Literally every file will be publicly available to be modded and uploaded to Steam Workshop, or you can add your own custom content with some in-game tools like a level editor! "

He said, every files will be accessible and will be modable, I'll check how it'll works to make a mod when it will has full access. The game will use steam workshop for mods, so I think he though about an easier way to make mods (and makings things on unity are that hard ? Anyway, it would be better to have a harder way to mod to avoid what happens on ZEQ2-lite...: http://www.moddb.com/mods/saiyans-revival/addons/evil-Gohan).

No disrespect to him, but you need to understand that most up and coming young Unity "stars" are probably using existing extensions/plugins that you can find in the Unity store. Snapping these in and creating something is NOT the same as building your own systems from scratch fine-tuned to your needs.

I know making a game from scratch is really hard. But if he used things that could help him to go forward quicker (without going too far on helps of course..), is it that bad ? This can be same with ZEQ2-unity. (still without going too far..)

Even if he might use helps, it's not the case for the whole game. This guy know what he is doing. Currently, he is working on a new networking system, similar to unity's one, add contents and do optimisations almost everyday... Never seen a game on unity having this progress...

Plus, I don't think the game code's logic will be hard to understand. (by the way, you should play it if you had not yet Smile )

In 2014, more peoples are working on unity than working on Quake 3's engine. Maybe it's the perfect time to recruit.

Steamlight is for games that are nearly done that have community appeal (and mostly commercialized). ZEQ2 is by no means at a stage even for a modicum of public exposure -- let alone such a platform. Work needs to happen first to at least build a functional prototype.

The greenlight platform is meant to rise games popularity, there are many free to play that are not finished, like the current ZEQ2-lite. Unturned was and still is far from finish, even being released on steam.

The current ZEQ2-lite on Quake 3 could be added on steam as a mod for Quake 3 (Earth Special Forces was added as a mod for hl1 and it's still not finished)

But it depends on how things goes..

Actions

Online [ 0 / 6125]