Content

ADDON SECTION CLEANING

DBZkrisfhugz View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Sunday, May 31, 2015

News at Moddb(repost) http://www.moddb.com/mods/saiyans-revival/news/addon-section-lets-clean

Hello Addon Editors and Addon Makers. Addon Section has been "Dirty" since a long time ago. By Copying Addons, Editing it and Claiming they did it and etc. We have now a Solution. Please Read it at Content.

Honestly I was Editing a lot of Addons Before and Copying them. There are a lots of guys hated me before, But I didn't understand them. Now I understand the discrimination in Addon Section.

The Solution is BY VOTING YES/NO if we will clean the Addon. After that, we will ASK the Admins to Clean it.

The Voting System Would be Voting at my Comment.

I will comment at the Bottom by saying YES

I will comment at the Bottom again by saying NO

you can vote the comment by clicling + and -

of course.. Winners have more votes

Also.. I am waiting for Zeth or Shenku to Confirm This

Eagle The Purpose View user's profile Send private message

It won't be useful. There will always be low quality addons and copies. It's not because you delete them once that it won't happen anymore.

As same as the rest of the project, there is no special rules here, no limits to respect. So, it is free to upload, no matter what it is, no matter what peoples think.

If you want a clean and moderated addon section you can still create a group/mod where you are administrating the sections and making your own rules. It is the only solution to this "problem".

Personally, it's the online that I would clean. But yeah, not everything is possible.. Rolling Eyes

you're right..

and.. I just wanted Opinions of Other people.

Seeing how much of the community is still on this page, I think most have given up and lacks of interest in it. Unfortunately.

yeahh.. oh well.. I was thinking too much.. This Forum should be Deleted

I think you are too much attached to this page. And you might block at a certain moment. Maybe you should find yourself a goal which you will work for with pleasure and determination.

Wh1t34Gl3(SAS) wrote : I think you are too much attached to this page. And you might block at a certain moment. Maybe you should find yourself a goal which you will work for with pleasure and determination.

Well said. you're right

Mima The Disciple View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Monday, June 01, 2015

Also, since it appears that no one has said anzthing about this, ZEQ2-lite's philosophy has always been "Reusing others' work". Meaning that all those addons did serve a purpose, hopefully, in honing the skills of each and every one of you addon makers.

Deleting addons would be counterproductive to ZEQ2-lite's end goal, and that is to help developers grow some game-developing skills.

Shenku RiO Incarnate View user's profile Send private message

Mima wrote : Also, since it appears that no one has said anzthing about this, ZEQ2-lite's philosophy has always been "Reusing others' work". Meaning that all those addons did serve a purpose, hopefully, in honing the skills of each and every one of you addon makers.

Deleting addons would be counterproductive to ZEQ2-lite's end goal, and that is to help developers grow some game-developing skills.

This.

Plus, technically speaking, the ModDB page was not and is not an actual official page, it's something the fans put up, not us. I don't even have any admin rights there, and I don't know that Brad or Mima do either.

And that page you linked to? That's not even the main page, it looks like another offshoot... I hardly think we could reasonably police the main page, let alone any offshoots, and we shouldn't have to to begin with because as I said, it's not even an official page.

But yes, Mima's right in that just deleting the "bad" addons is counter to the goals of the project.

If you really want some way to better distinguish the "good" from the "bad", some kind of 3rd party webpage/widget for a voting based ranking system for the addons may work better than just deleting things, since people could up vote the addons they like, or down vote the ones they don't like. You could set such a thing up yourself, and just have an admin for the page add a link/post it on the forums here for others to follow. Maybe not the easiest solution since it would take a bit to setup and for the rankings to properly set in to where they should be, but it'd help with your complaints about clutter when looking for "good" addons.

Edit: And for the addons that get down voted, think of it as encouragement for their creators to improve their skills and make better addons in the future if they want a decent ranking. Competition, as it were, sometimes brings out the best in people.

>Mima

Also, since it appears that no one has said anzthing about this, ZEQ2-lite's philosophy has always been "Reusing others' work". Meaning that all those addons did serve a purpose, hopefully, in honing the skills of each and every one of you addon makers.

I agree and understand about this, but how much edits do you consider worth it ?... They are left to rot, with no improvements, showing the bad example once again.. And since it is rare to see decent works, it will be hard to up the level just a bit..

>Shenku

Plus, technically speaking, the ModDB page was not and is not an actual official page, it's something the fans put up, not us. I don't even have any admin rights there, and I don't know that Brad or Mima do either.

http://www.moddb.com/company/z-development-team/members

If there is impersonation, I think a reaction would have occurred since the time this page is up.

As for the addons, having good or bad votes only depends on how the "players" are liking them, hardly on how other addon makers/editors judge them. I couldn't continue uploading when I realized that it could incite peoples to play more and getting the situation of the master server worse.. Seeing that some peoples who liked my addons were the ones I dislike the most in this "community" was quite a shock...

This can explain why such weird addon I uploaded were rated so high even since their first release.

And for the addons that get down voted, think of it as encouragement for their creators to improve their skills and make better addons in the future if they want a decent ranking. Competition, as it were, sometimes brings out the best in people.

Most upload something and just leave few minutes later, others are quitting because of their 1.5/10 rated addon. Advices has been tried, no results, it's all the contrary. This page is just lacking in identifiable function and there is no hope, no matter nello or anty are posting some characters to up it's level and encourage peoples doing better..

A full deletion of the list and a forbidden access to uploads cannot be bad.

Then... http://ZEQ2.com/lite/forums/viewforum.php?f=4

This category was made for this purpose, so it makes the moddb's addon/mods page even more lacking in identifiable function, considering this is far better on the communication side. Less "puta madre" and more "try that instead, this technique will make things easier and globally improve your contents".

It would limit things related to "plaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay" and interest more on the development side.

Even if the moddb page is bringing a lots of peoples, it is not helping the project to be seen as an development purpose game based project. It's just making it looks more like a released game which was meant to be played.

Wh1t34Gl3(SAS) wrote :

http://www.moddb.com/company/z-development-team/members

If there is impersonation, I think a reaction would have occurred since the time this page is up.

Huh... I could have sworn I read a post at one point where Brad said it wasn't an official page... Maybe I just remembered wrong, it was few years ago after all... Either way, it's still not "technically" the "official" official channel for downloads and news, because that's what this website is for. All the important news, SVN updates, and most of the more decent addons that have been made are posted and discussed here, not on ModDB.

As for the rest, I'm not sure what else I can tell you. You're never going to be able to completely stop/prevent any download page from getting cluttered with poor quality addons no matter what you try so long as new lesser experienced/lazy people keep making stuff. So, you can either try to find ways to better manage the clutter while grinning and baring it, or you can give up and let the Wookie win... (Watching Blade Runner right now, and Harrison Ford is making me think of his role as Han Solo in Star Wars right now, which is making me think of Star Wars references while I'm typing this... Don't ask... Embarassed )

Zeth The Admin View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Tuesday, June 02, 2015

If you want a clean and moderated addon section you can still create a group/mod where you are administrating the sections and making your own rules. It is the only solution to this "problem".

Your suggestion is pretty much exactly why there is a problem. If an addon/download is placed inside a sub-mod/project, only the owner of that project can remove it -- even though it will automatically be associated with the parent project's files. A few years ago, some users were putting fluff downloads that weren't actually anything at all (empty/fake zips), but due to the faulty design of moddb, there's nothing really that can be done aside from disabling all addons altogether.

Seeing how much of the community is still on this page, I think most have given up and lacks of interest in it. Unfortunately.

Please stop spreading misinformation. The "community" is exactly where it's always been doing exactly what it's always done. Nothing has changed except your opinion/perception.

I agree and understand about this, but how much edits do you consider worth it ?... They are left to rot, with no improvements, showing the bad example once again.. And since it is rare to see decent works, it will be hard to up the level just a bit..

No one gets to decide what's ultimately worthy or useful except for the creator. If it was their first foray into editing and all they did was a Photoshop saturation shift, then so be it. Learning is learning. Don't feel so entitled. The world doesn't have to meet your standards of quality or adapt to your idea of worth/purpose.

That's legitimate, yes, but a reaction would not have occurred even if it were not. We're not children. There have been plenty of impersonations in the last decade on plenty of services. This isn't a business. This isn't a legal matter. There's no sanctity to preserve. You assume serious priorities where they do not lie.

Huh... I could have sworn I read a post at one point where Brad said it wasn't an official page... Maybe I just remembered wrong, it was few years ago after all... Either way, it's still not "technically" the "official" official channel for downloads and news, because that's what this website is for. All the important news, SVN updates, and most of the more decent addons that have been made are posted and discussed here, not on ModDB.

You are not wrong, Shenku. The page was created by a fan (and then later associated, referenced, and passed along to our user accounts there). We've had a sort of discontent for ModDB since its early days to the lack of content management, forced categorization of information, and policies on identification (both in terms of what a project is and how it polices activity).

Your suggestion is pretty much exactly why there is a problem. If an addon/download is placed inside a sub-mod/project, only the owner of that project can remove it -- even though it will automatically be associated with the parent project's files. A few years ago, some users were putting fluff downloads that weren't actually anything at all (empty/fake zips), but due to the faulty design of moddb, there's nothing really that can be done aside from disabling all addons altogether.

Never said it should be done. I'm sure Kris got the point through this "suggestion".

Please stop spreading misinformation. The "community" is exactly where it's always been doing exactly what it's always done. Nothing has changed except your collection of unsupported data/perception.

We are still talking about moddb ?

No one gets to decide what's ultimately worthy or useful except for the creator. If it was their first foray into editing and all they did was a Photoshop saturation shift, then so be it. Learning is learning. Don't feel so entitled. The world doesn't have to meet your standards of quality or adapt to your idea of worth/purpose.

In the case there would be improvements after, I wouldn't say anything, but it isn't the case. Most of the time. Then, if newcomers were well informed/prepared about what they were doing, I think there wouldn't be any problems on that. The lack of information mostly give this result.

That's legitimate, yes, but a reaction would not have occurred even if it were not. We're not children. There have been plenty of impersonations in the last decade on plenty of services. This isn't a business. This isn't a legal matter. There's no sanctity to preserve. You assume serious priorities where they do not lie.

Sorry to take ZEQ2-Lite with a bit of serious.... It's not like it is the needed behavior to achieve anything here..

So, the thing to keep in mind about ZEQ2-Lite is: 2009 = release 2009> love that stuff.

Wh1t34Gl3(SAS) wrote :

Please stop spreading misinformation. The "community" is exactly where it's always been doing exactly what it's always done. Nothing has changed except your collection of unsupported data/perception.

We are still talking about moddb ?

He means that the "community" is the people that come to this site, post on these forums, and/or sit in the IRC channel. Anyone who's not really getting involved here, isn't really getting involved in the "core community" (The core community being specifically the people who are actively pursuing the main intent of this project, that being improving their skills and learning).

For the most part, nothing's changed. The same people are mostly still here and working on one thing or another, and only a small few have moved on to other things. But some of those who've moved on to other things are still here as well (like me. I'm not actively involved with ZEQ2-Lite anymore, but I'm taking the skills I learned here and in school and applying them towards my own games. I do lurk the forums to answer questions when I can though, which is mostly why I'm still here. I'm a helper like that... Razz ).

Reply with quote Thursday, June 04, 2015

That's exactly what I meant by "community", here, this one. Sorry to not be clear enough in my sentences..

I only saw Anty, Nello, VlaDD and Kris from this community to be still active on this moddb page. (acting on it, not just viewing)

Just that, Anty is just commenting now, Nello seems to be away actually, VlaDD is just posting pictures he presented here and Kris is still uploading addons, working for this page. So, Kris is technically alone there, re upping the level of the page but, sorry for this Kris, still working for angry Spanish 12years old kids only here to "PLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYY"...

That's why he might blocks someday.

Advice for you Kris, you should show your works here more than on moddb. Here, peoples will care, so you will be less alone, give you advices, you will improve more than being alone on moddb, and it will revive ZEQ2-Lite a bit more, outside F3+.

Just a thought.

I do lurk the forums to answer questions when I can though, which is mostly why I'm still here. I'm a helper like that... Razz ).

I saw that, and that's really nice of you. Thank you. Smile

Actions

Online [ 0 / 6125]