Content

<<  1, 2

*Anime Reviews*

TRL View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Tuesday, July 07, 2015

Seirei no Moribito (Guardian of the Spirit)

It's an anime I came upon when searching for something similar to the legend of korra. It's not exactly similar but it's based in this feudal japan with great down to earth realism based fight scenes and story.

It also features politics and is in a whole quite similar to FMA and Legend of Korra, but I deem it even better. A main reason for this, is it lacks the over the top powers and characters shouting move names.

Also Legendary you're missing Evangelion from that list of yours. I'm guessing you haven't seen it yet.

Anime movie wise, obviously anything from Ghibli. And then Okami Kodomo no Ame to Yuki (Wolf Children) is an absolute pearl as well.

@Mima: I might watch that one, I've seen it in recommendations before. How would you describe and rank it?

Grega Perpetual Traveler View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Wednesday, July 08, 2015

Here is my recommendation.

Utawarerumono

Main character is more of a tactitian than actual fighter. But there is plenty of action to be had nontheless.

Not really sure what to type without spoilig to much. Basically guy with a mask that can not be removed is found and brought to a village. He has amnesia (you can see its based on a game) and pretty much becomes the tactical leader of the vilage as its threatened.

TheXenon View user's profile Send private message

attack on titan

Mima The Disciple View user's profile Send private message

TRL wrote : @Mima: I might watch that one, I've seen it in recommendations before. How would you describe and rank it?

I don't think I'm that competent to rank or rate it due to me lacking knowledge about other animes (I have neither seen many nor those that are recommended (FMA/FMAB for example)). But I did see this one, and I can say I have enjoyed it thoroughly. It's a rather weird story. Neither light nor simple. It's very mature and it makes one think about the world we live in. Even though the story isn't "realistic" it can easily be translated into the world we live in and connected to certain things in life. One note though, it's rather dark and has that menacing atmosphere which isn't enjoyed by everyone. It really has a good way to induce danger and "fear" when watching it.

The best thing about it is the immersive story. It makes you think about ideals, morals, and most of all you get genuinely scared of the choices people make in the anime. The soundtrack is amazing as well. Instrumental yet has that traditional Japanese sense to it.
Another good thing about it is the originality. I have never heard about any other anime that takes criticism to this level. They even criticize some things they say in there, not in the comical way though. It kind of reminded me of early Dragon Ball but without all the humor in it. It was a new story never thought of before.
There are really many upsides to it, but if I talked any more I'd spoil some things and I don't want to do that.

Now, the downsides are several but not really critical.
1) Low budget means animation at times can be a little off, but artistically-wise it's beautiful. The scenes, the frames are amazing. Truly.
2) Some characters don't get enough screen time so you don't really see their development that much.
3) It's slow in the beginning. It's really really slow in the beginning. First 2 or 3 episodes are kind of like pilot episode altogether. But if you can overcome that the show will definitely be worth it.
4) It can be pretty fast (which can be bad): The whole anime is 25 episodes long and it takes you through 3 time periods which can be a little over the top at times. If it were an anime of 50 episodes I think it would convey things a little clearer. But it isn't really bad per se. It's just weird.
One last note to everyone: It's extremely philosophical at certain times. Philosophy isn't something everyone enjoys so if you are looking for a straightforward anime, this isn't really something for you then.

Edit: EERIE! That was the word I was looking for! Eerie!

TRL wrote : Seirei no Moribito (Guardian of the Spirit)

I shall watch FMA/FMAB soon, but I have seen Avatar and Korra. Since I did enjoy both very much, I'll give this one a shot after FMA! It sounds very interesting! And as much as I enjoy throwing fireballs around and unrealistic battles, I do enjoy realism a lot as well. Smile Thanks TRL.

ryku220 View user's profile Send private message

Have any of you guys ever watched katekyo Hitman Reborn?

DBZkrisfhugz View user's profile Send private message

An anime like One Piece is good for me.. it's Pure Adventure.
No H.e.n.t.a.I. No S*x. Pure Adventure with Friends
An Anime that doesn't lose you Sanity.

These are like

1.One Piece
2.Hunter x Hunter
3.Arslan
4.Dragon Ball/Z/Gt/Super
5.Detective Conan

And for Anime that has a Slice of Life. H.e.n.t.a.I, S*x. has unnatural Atmosphere. Makes you feel Uncomfortable

Like:
1.School Days
2.Clannad
3.AnoHana
4.Amagami

Eagle The Purpose View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Thursday, July 09, 2015

Dr.Slump. Razz

DBZkrisfhugz View user's profile Send private message

Wh1t34Gl3(SAS) wrote : Dr.Slump. Razz

WOW I should watch that.. it's a part of Dragon Ball too *laughing out loud*.. but not canon

Eagle The Purpose View user's profile Send private message

The crossover in the manga was, remember the Red Ribbon arc. But I was referring to the manga itself.

Grega Perpetual Traveler View user's profile Send private message

ryku220 wrote : Have any of you guys ever watched katekyo Hitman Reborn?

I watched it. Had its great moments and its slow gooey insides. Sadly they didn't continue it past the future arc.

LegendarySS4 View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Thursday, July 16, 2015

TRL wrote : Seirei no Moribito (Guardian of the Spirit)

It's an anime I came upon when searching for something similar to the legend of korra. It's not exactly similar but it's based in this feudal japan with great down to earth realism based fight scenes and story.

It also features politics and is in a whole quite similar to FMA and Legend of Korra, but I deem it even better. A main reason for this, is it lacks the over the top powers and characters shouting move names.

Also Legendary you're missing Evangelion from that list of yours. I'm guessing you haven't seen it yet.

Anime movie wise, obviously anything from Ghibli. And then Okami Kodomo no Ame to Yuki (Wolf Children) is an absolute pearl as well.

@Mima: I might watch that one, I've seen it in recommendations before. How would you describe and rank it?

I don't like Evangelion. You should also check out redline (movie).

LegendarySS4 View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Thursday, July 16, 2015

I would also recommend Rose of Versailles.

Grega wrote :

ryku220 wrote : Have any of you guys ever watched katekyo Hitman Reborn?

I watched it. Had its great moments and its slow gooey insides. Sadly they didn't continue it past the future arc.

Doubt they'll ever adapt the last two arcs, perhaps we might get a KHR:Final act in a couple of years time.

<<  1, 2

Actions

Online [ 0 / 6125]