Content

<<  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  >>

ZOPU: Now with Ultra Instinct! Sorta...

Shenku RiO Incarnate View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Wh1t34Gl3(SAS) wrote : Gif or randomly generated ?

Neither.

It's a Skeletal Mesh (reused from a cartoony "match flame" mesh/animation I made for Spritehaven) with some tessellation applied, and a shifting noise node applying world displacement, combined with a reverse Fresnel node to fade out the edges.

https://youtu.be/nMZOvmvlY-Q

Again, it's far from ideal, but it looks kind of interesting...

Eagle The Purpose View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Quite resources (cost) and quality demanding (to be beautiful enough), but I'm sure it can be pushed to a decent level of efficiency and usability. As same as ZEQ2-Lite's aura, I'm sure there is an alternative way to make this kind of render, with less disadvantages.

Reply with quote Thursday, August 27, 2015

Wh1t34Gl3(SAS) wrote : Quite resources (cost) and quality demanding (to be beautiful enough), but I'm sure it can be pushed to a decent level of efficiency and usability. As same as ZEQ2-Lite's aura, I'm sure there is an alternative way to make this kind of render, with less disadvantages.

Well so long as I don't have a bunch of effects of this type going off at the same time, or too many other similar effects, I think it won't be too unmanageable. I just have to be careful to not overdo it, and be sure to have some kind of scalability built in for lower-end computers that can't handle as much stuff going off at once.

What do you call "lower-end computers" ? Everyone have their definition for that, so, it is a bit blurred to me.

Zeth The Admin View user's profile Send private message

What do you call "lower-end computers" ? Everyone have their definition for that, so, it is a bit blurred to me.

It does really depend on how much of an enthusiast you are and what scope you are examining, but generally I say anything using mid-upper-tier hardware from a decade back is considered low-end. 2ghz dual core, 1GB ram, shader model 2.0 GPUs. I'm assuming fully minimum graphics settings at 540p/720p attaining at least 30fps.

Zeth wrote :

It does really depend on how much of an enthusiast you are and what scope you are examining, but generally I say anything using mid-upper-tier hardware from a decade back is considered low-end. 2ghz dual core, 1GB ram, shader model 2.0 GPUs. I'm assuming fully minimum graphics settings at 540p/720p attaining at least 30fps.

I would say that it's something like this, yes.

Although considering how resource intensive UE4 seems to be sometimes, for me at least, I'd probably bump the 1GB of ram up to 4GB at least. Any less is probably just asking for problems running it.

Just realized that I basically quoted modern, mid-tier mobile phone/tablet specifications.
Except most of those can handle beyond Shader Model 2.

Reply with quote Friday, August 28, 2015

Okay, basically what I have on my two laptops. Rolling Eyes

If you need a test subject, I will be there. Laughing

As for the mobiles, I think I got that as well (an xperia you (low), and my father's old Galaxy S2 (?) I just got today)

qwerty In Advance View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Saturday, August 29, 2015

I find this, maybe this can inspire you.

I suggest you to increase the graphics, it's not the id Tech 3 (1999)

qwerty wrote : I find this, maybe this can inspire you.

The graphics at present are secondary, aside from just optimizing the existing ones to run smoothly. The main focus for development presently is on getting the gameplay mechanics themselves pieced together. The models, textures, particles, and effects quality can all be fixed later.

I find this, maybe this can inspire you.

That's largely the problem with this video (and all of these popular "drop-ins"). It's not difficult or a great marvel to import assets into an modern existing engine and framework. That's the point of modern engines. This guy is taking a pre-existing mesh/skeleton, existing character controller, existing camera system, existing scene, existing shaders/materials, and existing lighting system. The only work actually done would be a few custom particle systems (5-10 minutes tops) and some basic tweaks to existing jump/movement scripts (5-10 minute tops).

It's not some grand feat that takes a lot of skill/knowledge. It'd be just like someone plugging in a character from another game into ZEQ2-lite. The only difference is the underlying frameworks (rendering and otherwise).

Yes, the graphics are night and day in terms of technology, but herein lies the issue. All of the examples provided are using default run-of-the-mill GI-influenced "physically" shaded arrangements. These are all bound by realistic handling of lighting, shades, and colors. That means that all of those wonderful style varieties you'll see in non-photorealistic techniques (such as all cartoons/anime and tons of paintings throughout history) are completely replaced by the same monotonous realism our reality is confined by. In short, almost all of these characters use superimposing stylized textures/shaders that have to be adjusted to the realm of realism rather than what might be otherwise bright, colorful, flat, or wildly exotic interpretations not possible by normal physical lighting. It's not just a clashing, it's limiting creativity.

That all said, yes, Shenku's current visual productions do lack in polished production appeal -- even outside of style subjectivity. Is that necessarily a bad thing though? Shenku isn't a full-fledged game/rendering artist by any means. Even if he was, is giving priority to mechanical handling and system development really that bad of a focus over just dressing up what is superficial?

Reply with quote Sunday, August 30, 2015

okay, but it's too similar to ZEQ2-Lite, I suggest you to create something different and more original like the emirh08 project.

or change the name of the project.

ZOPU to ZEQ2-Lite Unreal

anyway good job, I appreciate every game or mod based on Dragon Ball Z Very Happy

I loved the first graphics style Sad

Reply with quote Sunday, August 30, 2015

qwerty wrote :
or change the name of the project.

ZOPU to ZEQ2-Lite Unreal

The name was an intentional decision to distance and distinguish this project from ZEQ2-Lite and ZEQ2 as a whole, because while some of the goals are similar, the goal with ZOPU is to produce an actual game intended to be played, where as that was never really a goal with ZEQ2/Lite.

I loved the first graphics style Sad

That wasn't a graphics style, that was default rendering of the meshes with no post processing effects...

Regardless, I'm not going to be messing with anything graphical too much for a long while, because a crappy game with amazing graphics is equivalent to putting lipstick on a pig. At the end of the day, it's still a pig, or crappy game in this case.

And honestly, I've seen a bunch of videos of people using the Kite demo with different drop-in characters, and they all do the exact same thing every time without exception. They load up the demo's map, they import their meahes and animations into the game, drop them into basic third person template characters, tweek some movement settings, add a unique ability or two for that character that mechanically does nothing, it's all visual, setup the animation blueprint to play the animations correctly, then load up the preview game and hit record. Their "games" are largely lacking any actual "gameplay" systems. It's all literally bare bones to make it run. Sure it looks pretty, but you can't actually do anything, which makes it boring and crappy as games go.

Reply with quote Wednesday, September 09, 2015

Semi-related update, albeit not exactly directly.

Setup some new blueprint sequences and refined the mêlée and damage related nodes somewhat, and got scaling damage based on current powerlevel working (Based on current Max at the moment, and not yet scaled according to the Victim's own powerlevel yet... AI still doesn't have a powerlevel yet...).

Also figured out how to knock enemies back, and throw them into rag-doll states if I want, although I'm still not familiar enough with the PHAT editor to properly setup ragdoll physics that won't be twitching uncontrollably all over the place, so probably just going to use animations for that in conjunction with the physics...

Also setup some basic AI waypoint actors, and split off the ability for the AI to "patrol" their assigned waypoints if the player is not in range, either by going in a full circle, or pacing back and forth from the first waypoint through to the last then back through to the first....

Now for the bad news. I didn't actually setup any of the above in ZOPU itself, but rather did it in a branched off project that I was tinkering with for the heck of it. So, to add these changes to ZOPU, I'll have to transfer them over from the new project, which shouldn't be too difficult, but it will take some finagling to get them to work, since I gutted some stuff out from ZOPU for the new project...

The good news though, is my Chibi character from my early Riot-CON builds is coming back with a 3D platforming-ish type game of her own, based largely off of what I've already built in ZOPU, so I should be able to finish up a rough 5 level demo within the next week or so, and have it out for giggles. May even go further with it, but for right now, I just want a simple game that doesn't take too much thinking to progress through the levels themselves, and the ability to send the enemies flying mercilessly, because punting enemies through the air like baby Chihuahuas always feels like fun to me, not sure why...

Anyway, here's some video of the above mentioned features in action...

https://youtu.be/2Aw2Q2VM-lU

Reply with quote Thursday, September 10, 2015

Why start 59 projects and not finish even one?

I think people only care ZOPU.

>qwerty

Depends on the purpose/nature/goals of the said projects, and some factors about the developers/founders.

qwerty wrote : Why start 59 projects and not finish even one?

It's 47,623 projects, not 59. Learn to do maths. Razz

But no, seriously, these other projects are "learning experiences" to try things out without breaking existing projects. ZOPU's at a point already where I want to avoid breaking something in it unnecessarily, and I don't have Source Control(SVN support basically) setup yet to prevent such problems...

Also, some of my many projects have the intention of eventually being "for profit" endeavors, where as I'd get sued trying to do that with ZOPU... So yeah, if I can get money out of a project, I'm more likely to want to work on it than on something that gets me nothing...

Not necessarily the case, but I'm glad you're eager for it to be made public. Wink

najeeb My Sir View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Monday, September 14, 2015

Shenku wrote :

qwerty wrote : Why start 59 projects and not finish even one?

It's 47,623 projects, not 59. Learn to do maths. Razz

But no, seriously, these other projects are "learning experiences" to try things out without breaking existing projects. ZOPU's at a point already where I want to avoid breaking something in it unnecessarily, and I don't have Source Control(SVN support basically) setup yet to prevent such problems...

Also, some of my many projects have the intention of eventually being "for profit" endeavors, where as I'd get sued trying to do that with ZOPU... So yeah, if I can get money out of a project, I'm more likely to want to work on it than on something that gets me nothing...

Not necessarily the case, but I'm glad you're eager for it to be made public. Wink

why not ditch the whole Dragon Ball Z trademark characters and places and make something unique but similar out of it ? using the same basic principles of chi for enhancing physical traits of one? no way it can get sued that way.

some one is doing something similar on the android market

najeeb wrote : why not ditch the whole Dragon Ball Z trademark characters and places and make something unique but similar out of it ? using the same basic principles of chi for enhancing physical traits of one? no way it can get sued that way.

What makes you think I wasn't already planning on doing something like that eventually?

I was already planning on having various games offshoot from ZOPU in one form or another, because I'm specifically trying to design everything to be flexible enough to use for a wide variety of game types if wanted with as much editability as possible.

The probelm is, my more ambitious projects are stuck in limbo pending an opportunity to form up with a small group of like minded individuals who are serious about doing this kind of stuff professionally, and we don't live half way across the world from eachother...

Basically an engine into an engine ? Neutral

Wh1t34Gl3(SAS) wrote : Basically an engine into an engine ? Neutral

More like a very robust game template for the engine.

emirh08 View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Wednesday, September 16, 2015

qwerty wrote : I find this, maybe this can inspire you.

not fair to as he used the same animations and everything from the Wii game :/ *laughing out loud* who are we kidding if I knew how to extact animations I would use them to for now stuck with making my own. and that chi bi brawler actually looks kind of cool.I haven't really touched ue4 since my last video I might play around a little today though while I have some free time.

Reply with quote Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Non-update update... Chibi Brawl is being delayed slightly due to inexplicable issues with compiling out a demo build... Need to do some more trouble shooting, but it should be done soonish...

Also, just finished going through an exhaustively long tutorial series on UMG drag and drop functionality(started around 12:30pm, just finished it now at 8:38pm... It was very complicated to setup...), which I'm going to use as an inventory template going forward once I get it all better equipped to suit my specific needs. (Currently, it's still in its own project so I can better break it up, organize, and separate out what I need from it before transferring to another project...)

Which the good news from this is, I'll in theory be able to add in a decent inventory system for ZOPU for storing things like Dragonballs, Sensu Beans, or other misc. items that can be used on demand, or simply stored in general until they can be used/sold later... Just need to figure out how to "stack" items, and make sure that the inventory will still work after changing levels.

najeeb My Sir View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Thursday, October 01, 2015

Shenku wrote :

najeeb wrote : why not ditch the whole Dragon Ball Z trademark characters and places and make something unique but similar out of it ? using the same basic principles of chi for enhancing physical traits of one? no way it can get sued that way.

What makes you think I wasn't already planning on doing something like that eventually?

I was already planning on having various games offshoot from ZOPU in one form or another, because I'm specifically trying to design everything to be flexible enough to use for a wide variety of game types if wanted with as much editability as possible.

The probelm is, my more ambitious projects are stuck in limbo pending an opportunity to form up with a small group of like minded individuals who are serious about doing this kind of stuff professionally, and we don't live half way across the world from eachother...

I know what you mean , its kind of same here , sure I'm not a very highly skilled programmer , but I do have the resources to hire one , problem is distance

Reply with quote Tuesday, December 01, 2015

Was working on this on and off, finally figured out a way to simplify the process over what I had done for Spritehaven. I present to you, character customization:

https://youtu.be/v_tEgVC2Xkg

I might end up doing a basic tutorial on how I did this at some point in the near-ish future...

<<  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  >>

Actions

Online [ 0 / 6125]