Content

<<  1, 2, 3

ZEQ2-Lite Unity conversion (unnoficial) - Warm up

Zeth The Admin View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Thursday, May 28, 2015

An engine in an engine ? I expected that a bit.

Not what I said at all.

I just hope it won't cost money, like Zios.. I don't think it is possible anyway.

That's like saying "Microsoft" costs money. Microsoft (like Zios) is a group/company. They make products. We make products. The Zios Engine/Framework was intended to be free. The Zios Editor is what was aimed to profit. This is all really ancient history, however.

I guess it wasn't really advanced or that some things weren't adapted to the actuality (at the time) if you started other things instead of keeping it.

Priorities shift. If you have a project that'll take 5 years to complete with 15 people and you suddenly have only 2 people, then yes, it's advisable to put one project on hold in favor of another until you get more resources.

I always heard that ZEQ2 and ZEQ2-Lite were different projects (public, not public, dev team, no dev team etc... Plus what you said), and you confirm it.

The "About" for ZEQ2-lite posted in 2009, any blog post, or any forum post in the last 6 years has constantly re-enforced this. It should not be news to you.

So, by your definition of ZEQ2-Lite, ZEQ2"-Lite"(Unity) is a nonsense. What I was aiming here in fact, was the current ZEQ2...

I didn't say anything was "nonsense". ZEQ2-lite has a lot of mods, addons, and branches on other engines (even a few total conversions). If you want to start another project on Unity, that's fine, but you really should establish yourself a proper identity/alias or you'll muddy up the waters and make it more difficult for the original project.

What you see in this thread is not official nor the actual development of a new branch of ZEQ2. I wait to reach the actual level of the official ZEQ2(Unity) to think about what to do for the next.

That'll take a development team, a lot of experience/talent, and quite some time spent. If you are truly ambitious, you shouldn't wait for someone else.

So... I'm not changing the name for now, it's just a test, I will just continue, following ZEQ2 and ZEQ2-Lite's concepts and ideas, trying to find improvments etc.... Until I reach a certain point.

You don't have a name (yet) to begin with. That was my point. Right now you simply have a thread on a forum consisting of some loose code and ramblings of a novice just getting started with game development. That's perfectly fine and all, but you need to comprehend where you stand.

Eagle The Purpose View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Thursday, May 28, 2015

Not what I said at all.

You didn't say that, it is called interpretation. Laughing

A pretty complete base serving to create many products of a same branch (fighting game here) is a specialized engine to me. It is like a sub engine in this case. Razz

If ZEQ2-Lite was less centered on Dragon Ball in it's gameplay part, it could be considered as "an engine in an engine" too. But that's not important.

That's like saying "Microsoft" costs money. Microsoft (like Zios) is a group/company. They make products. We make products. The Zios Engine/Framework was intended to be free. The Zios Editor is what was aimed to profit. This is all really ancient history, however.

Don't tell me you didn't understand that I meant the engine by "Zios". Neutral

If I talked about the team I would have said "Zios team"..

What do you mean by "Zios editor" by the way ?

Priorities shift. If you have a project that'll take 5 years to complete with 15 people and you suddenly have only 2 people, then yes, it's advisable to put one project on hold in favor of another until you get more resources.

So it is just paused.

The "About" for ZEQ2-lite posted in 2009, any blog post, or any forum post in the last 6 years has constantly re-enforced this. It should not be news to you.

Never said or meant it was new to me. I knew that already. It is just to be sure.

I didn't say anything was "nonsense". ZEQ2-lite has a lot of mods, addons, and branches on other engines (even a few total conversions). If you want to start another project on Unity, that's fine, but you really should establish yourself a proper identity/alias or you'll muddy up the waters and make it more difficult for the original project.

I didn't say you said it, nor that I took it bad. But following the definition of ZEQ2-Lite, this is quite lacking. I can understand. Since I started this unity "project", it seems like it was more matching ZEQ2 than ZEQ2-Lite in the idea.

There's nothing to establish for now, in it's state, this pseudo-project is nothing. This phase is just a warm up for the next, something to get me or anyone (if there is) to get started with unity for a probable further development, where the attribution of "pre"-development.

I will change the name if it is really disturbing. That's what I meant, if there was any confusions or disturbances with the name, you should have told me straight at the beginning.

That'll take a development team, a lot of experience/talent, and quite some time spent. If you are truly ambitious, you shouldn't wait for someone else.

I'm 17 (almost 18 ), I'm barely progressing at school because of laziness and lack of interest (doesn't mean I'm a good guy), I always been passionate by computers, logical things, thinking problems like programing, I've been raised in games, mangas and internet.

I don't see me doing anything else. And a personal affection to ZEQ2(/-Lite) forces me to stay here, whether peoples are hating me.

I know what it needs and costs, and I'm not waiting for someone to continue, I'm just proposing in case someone want, as same as me, getting started with unity and development affiliated or not with ZEQ2(/-lite) when it's still the time of soft things.

You don't have a name (yet) to begin with. That was my point. Right now you simply have a thread on a forum consisting of some loose code and ramblings of a novice just getting started with game development. That's perfectly fine and all, but you need to comprehend where you stand.

Why did you wait me to rise the subject to tell me that ? I was wondering all the time if it was okay to keep this, and since you didn't say anything, I let it like that temporary, as the thread name tells.

Edit: Seriously ? R3t@rded = good guy ?? :painfulFacepalm:

Reply with quote Monday, June 15, 2015

Okay, I have done some research, and the rigid body seems perfectly adapted to this type of gameplay. It will permit me to make physics much more easily than with the CC. Converting everything.. Again..

Okay, I have done some research, and the rigid body seems perfectly adapted to this type of gameplay. It will permit me to make physics much more easily than with the CC. Converting everything.. Again..

Rigidbody is really only practical when you want/need to use realistic physics/interactions. In a Dragon Ball Z environment, you are mostly better off sticking with a Character/Collider Controller. You'll be able to control motion more precisely to needs.

Shenku RiO Incarnate View user's profile Send private message

Zeth wrote :

Rigidbody is really only practical when you want/need to use realistic physics/interactions. In a Dragon Ball Z environment, you are mostly better off sticking with a Character/Collider Controller. You'll be able to control motion more precisely to needs.

Brad's right. Rigidbody objects are more suited for non-character assets, such as inanimate objects in a room that you want a player to be able to push or respond to physics realistically, like Apples, silverware, rocks, explosion debris, exc.

While you could theoretically use them for players/NPCs, it's not ideal at all in most cases because of the way in which they were designed to be passive objects.

Mmh.. I'm lost in all of this.. Peoples have shared opinions on this subject and it's quite confusing..

going to try some other things with the Character Controller.

Otherwise, the character now has working animations and soon will have a mouse look system.

After the environment collision script problem, I will be able to finish the jump action and begin other things (mainly the UI which I have begun a bit).

Reply with quote Sunday, June 28, 2015

I won't get past this step...

I have tried this configuration:

Player: character controller (with integrated capsule collider)

Map (terrain): non kinematic rigid body.

Script: Still the same:

void OnCollisionEnter(Collision col){
      if(col.gameObject.name == "Terrain"){IsGrounded = true;
         Debug.Log("Is Grounded");}}

Normally, if a gameobject/rigidbody collides with another gameobject/rigidbody (one of the two must have a rigidbody for this function to work), OnCollisionEnter should be called. But it's not the case here. I searched everywhere, and it seems like everything is fine..

The menu is progressing slowly but surely. I will show something once I get it to a decent level.

Reply with quote Monday, June 29, 2015

OnCollisionEnter is a Unity Event on a MonoBehaviour inherited component. The component must be part of a gameObject that has the collider or rigidbody to trigger. It will only call once when the collision initially begins. It will reset the collision ends.

Paste the code. Screenshot the inspector for the gameObject that it is attached.

Reply with quote Monday, June 29, 2015

using UnityEngine;
public class TestControls1 : MonoBehaviour{

Animation anim;
   CharacterController controller;
   float walkSpeed = 1.6f, runSpeed = 3.2f, kiBoostSpeed = 6.4f, flySpeed = 3.2f, jumpSpeed = 6f, Gravity = 0f;
   bool IsGrounded = false, IsFlying = false;

void Start ()
   {
      anim = GetComponent<Animation>();
      controller = GetComponent<CharacterController>();
   }

public void Update(){
      this.CheckMove ();
   }

void OnCollisionEnter(Collision col){
      if(col.gameObject.name == "Terrain"){IsGrounded = true;
         Debug.Log("Is Grounded");}}

public void CheckMove(){
      float v = Input.GetAxis("Vertical"), h = Input.GetAxis("Horizontal"), you = Input.GetAxis("Jump");

//Play anims depending on axises value.
      //Idle
      if (v == 0 & h == 0 & you == 0){anim.CrossFade ("idle");}
      //Walk
      if (v > 0.1 | v < - 0.1 | h > 0.1 | h < - 0.1){anim.CrossFade ("walk");}
      //run
      if (v > 0.4 | v < - 0.4 | h > 0.4 | h < - 0.4){anim.CrossFade ("run");}

//ZQSD Walk and Run
      if(v > 0.1){controller.Move(this.transform.forward * walkSpeed * Time.deltaTime);
         if(v > 0.4){controller.Move(this.transform.forward * runSpeed * Time.deltaTime);}}
      if(h < -0.1){controller.Move(-this.transform.right * walkSpeed * Time.deltaTime);
         if(h < -0.4){controller.Move(-this.transform.right * runSpeed * Time.deltaTime);}}
      if(v < -0.1){controller.Move(-this.transform.forward * walkSpeed * Time.deltaTime);
         if(v < -0.4){controller.Move(-this.transform.forward * runSpeed * Time.deltaTime);}}
      if(h > 0.1){controller.Move(this.transform.right * walkSpeed * Time.deltaTime);
         if(h > 0.4){controller.Move(this.transform.right * runSpeed * Time.deltaTime);}}

//Mouse Look

float minX = -360f, maxX = 360f, minY = -70f, maxY = 70f, sensitivity = 15f, rotationX = 0f, rotationY = 0f;

rotationX = this.transform.Rotate * Input.GetAxis ("MouseX") * sensitivity;
      rotationY = this.transform.localEulerAngles * Input.GetAxis ("MouseY")*sensitivity;

rotationX = Mathf.Clamp (rotationX, minX, maxX);
      rotationY = Mathf.Clamp (rotationY, minY, maxY);

//Jump
      if (you > 0.1) {controller.Move (this.transform.up * jumpSpeed);}

//Fly Down
      if(you < -0.1){controller.Move(-this.transform.up * flySpeed);}

//Gravity
      if(IsGrounded == false){controller.Move(-this.transform.up * Gravity * Time.deltaTime);}
      if(Gravity < 30f){ Gravity += 0.00001f;}
      if(IsGrounded == true){Gravity = 0f;}
   }
}

The script is attached to the player, at the same location as the character controller.

The errors come from the work in progress mouselook support, just don't mind them. Embarassed

Reply with quote Sunday, July 05, 2015

Little update. - Mod Dragon Ball

Little update to show it's not dead. Once I'm finished with this "IsGrounded" state, I will be able to continue further in the development.

Changes:

- Unity 5

- Anims

- More optimized code (can be seen in the precedent post)

- Working menu (in progress)

Edit: For the menu background, I plan on putting a paozu mount map, maybe with a bit of life, who knows. Smile

Edit2:

- Renamed "Single Player" button to "World"
- Removed "Multiplayer" button
- Quit message changed to "Are you sure ?" (I will attempt something later)

Reply with quote Wednesday, July 08, 2015

Back to OnControllerColliderHit for the 100th time since the oncollisionX functions don't seem to work here..

With it, I can define what makes IsGrounded true or false (just depending on floor angle for now). The boolean does change it's state following the conditions, but the ApplyGravity function apparently can't get these info and be well executed. So, being true or false, the gravity system is not applied. However, it is called at every frames..

http://pastebin.com/7fkA0fS3

Why don't you just use a raycast/spherecast/capsulecast on your scripts to test for collisions when objects move? Could easily fire events off that way.

I saw a tutorial about that. But it seems like it detects only the surface near the collider and doesn't do much.. Or maybe it needed something more with it ? going to give it a try.

A raycast would be less accurate unless you fired out a few, but it can still be useful for simple ground checks. A capsulecast/spherecast will give you full sweeping casts. Just make sure you do such casts on ANY object in your world that moves. This usually means not relying on natural or automatic physics/rigidbodies and instead handling any movement whatsoever on your own.

Do you mean I should use them for other kind of collisions outside ground check ? And for maps moving props as well ?

Edit: okay. Based the bool's true state on a distance of 2 (for tests), which will later be completed by isFlying = false.

Little problem, the else, defining when IsGrounded is false seems not to work.. I hope I didn't do anything wrong in the code..

http://pastebin.com/0ahMEgRw

Edit 15/7: Trying to redact how the gameplay will work.
Edit 20/7: the IsGrounded bool is finally working fine, now I need to make the gravity system works and implement the jump and the flying state.

Reply with quote Monday, July 20, 2015

Finally! The isgrounded and gravity are now both working!

Next tasks:

- Implement jump action.
- Implement flying state.

Reply with quote Thursday, September 03, 2015

Update!

Menu/Physics/Map update - Mod Dragon Ball

The gravity has been since set to a decent/more realistic level. Also, the lighting looks a bit weak, I don't know why, it looks brighter usually.

Note: I recorded the built in tester, not the compiled build, since it work less good for unknown reasons..

Reply with quote Wednesday, November 18, 2015

For those who were wondering, no, I haven't gave up on this project, it is still "on going" and I'm still working on it when I have some time to dedicate to it. I just have nothing to show for now, since there is no directly visible major graphical or mechanical change. At the moment, I'm still developing the base (more specific yet light "framework", child to Unity), which do and will require a lot of thinking, at first, on the concepts/features side, and at last, on the ways to realize them.

So far:

- The menu is advancing along with interface modding facility improvements and I will soon start a full controls binding part on the settings side.

- Got a nice present from Brad, which is a smoothed/not altered version of the Saiyan Duel(desert) map, helping with the issue I had with ZEQ2-Lite SVN's version. This map will serve on a learning purpose, and might be replaced afterward when means and skills are there.

- The physics side is slowly advancing, but the code has been since improved on the reading and the overall power.

- Concepts/ideas: have been and are still being discussed with members of the ZED-you group.

- Organization: taking form while advancing.

Postscript: If a moderator could move this thread to the Free forum, it would be nice. For now, there's no reason it should remain here. Maybe someday, but not now.

Edit: Thanks a lot.

<<  1, 2, 3

Actions

Online [ 0 / 6125]