Content

Hey guys I'm new

HolyCracks2122 View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Thursday, November 26, 2015

Cool what's up? just wondering is this project dead or still under development I don't know much about 3D modeling and codeing but I'm willing to learn!! if anyone will take there time off to teach me <3

Eagle The Purpose View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Friday, November 27, 2015

Welcome to the forums!

ZEQ2-Lite will be dead when the project leaders say it is.
As for your questions, ask anything (on topic), we will try to answer them as soon as possible, and as most as we can. Don't hesitate to check the learning forum as well for some specific tutorials.

Grega Perpetual Traveler View user's profile Send private message

HolyCracks2122 wrote : Cool what's up? just wondering is this project dead or still under development I don't know much about 3D modeling and codeing but I'm willing to learn!! if anyone will take there time off to teach me <3

Since Wh1t34Gl3 explained it poorly.

ZEQ2-lite as a project is a developer sandbox. The projects goal is to have people mess round with it and homefully learn how to do various things like modeling, animating or coding.

Basically its a plaything for people who want to get in to various areas of game development, or things that use similar skillsets.

Taking the project intent in to account, then ZEQ2-lite can not die, since its just something anyone can mess with as they wish, with the goal of learning something.

Because of that people also get a bit edgy when ZEQ2-lite is treeted like a game on the forums, but people are also very likely to offer a helping advice with regards to development questions, as long as its something they know.

The forum does have some weird filters you have to get used to, since certain words are replaced fully by phrases for example ("fi-ller" results in "gooey insides" and "tr-oll" results in "fearsome creature")

In any case enjoy your stay.

Sorry Grega, but each times I try, peoples are mocking me for "not understanding ZEQ2-Lite", and it gets worse. Also, I'm not as skilled as you for this kind of speech. Sorry.

Wh1t34Gl3(SAS) wrote :

Sorry Grega, but each times I try, peoples are mocking me for "not understanding ZEQ2-Lite", and it gets worse. Also, I'm not as skilled as you for this kind of speech. Sorry.

don't worry about it. The more you use a language the more comfortable you become using it and the more you can express yourself with it. Its a skill you practice like any other.

HolyCracks2122 View user's profile Send private message

what's the purpose of this project are you guys building a Dragon Ball Z fanmade game or just messing around in hopes of making a game so people can learn how to model and stuff and help you guys with it?...

Skatter #*&@%! View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Saturday, November 28, 2015

HolyCracks2122 wrote : what's the purpose of this project are you guys building a Dragon Ball Z fanmade game or just messing around in hopes of making a game so people can learn how to model and stuff and help you guys with it?...

Basically it's exactly as Grega said.

The ultimate goal IS the learning experience at this point. It gives people that are relatively new to aspects of development a way to dig in and learn things they want to in order to become more proficient.

People are welcome to come in and work on whatever they see fit, and upload it, be it a model, a texture edit, a new attack, or for the more knowledgeable and sadistic, tiptoe into the quake 3 code and make some changes to mechanics or help update and improve existing functionality.

But the core goal is already being met when someone begins to tinker around with aspects of development and wanting to learn-and not even just for the project itself.

Also, if there's a particular area you're interested in trying to learn, I'd first check the Learning forum to see if there's any sort of a guide or writeup:
http://ZEQ2.com/lite/forums/viewforum.php?f=11

Not everything there is as in-depth as it could be, but you might see something there that sparks your interest.

Sadistic. That's the word.

HolyCracks2122 wrote : what's the purpose of this project are you guys building a Dragon Ball Z fanmade game or just messing around in hopes of making a game so people can learn how to model and stuff and help you guys with it?...

The goal is to give people a tool to learn development.

ZEQ2-lite is just that. A piece of software that people can use to learn new things regarding development. It being Dragonball is pretty much irrelevant and is only down to it stemming from the project known a ZEQ2.

Its here to let you experiment to your hearts content and learn new things. What you do with that knowledge, be it join a company, develop your own thing or lend a hand to the actual ZEQ2 project is up to you. But the goal of lite is reached simply by you learning something new and trying it out in practice.

So to summarise:
ZEQ2 is a fanmade Dragon Ball Z game that has been in the making for quite a while now. I believe last I checked they wanted to use unity. But I'm not such a frequent forum user to really know 100%.

ZEQ2-lite is a sandbox for people wanting to learn development aspects. Texturing, modeling, coding anything that is part of creating a game. While it does have an executable and servers running, they are not the main aspect of the lite version. Server functunality is simply there so that people can work as teams if they so choose and test their changes in an online server.

People generally missunderstand what ZEQ2-lite is so they treet it as a game and run servers to roleplay and so on. There are even some who form clans. But that is just them not using ZEQ2-lite correctly, or rather that's up to them not seeing the project for what it really is. that's alyo why actual gameplay discussions like cheaters and what not are really frowned uppon on these forums.

ZEQ2 is a fanmade Dragon Ball Z game that has been in the making for quite a while now. I believe last I checked they wanted to use unity. But I'm not such a frequent forum user to really know 100%.

"ZEQ2 is a interactive anime research experience that currently uses Dragon Ball Z as it's base candidate. The project is built on a passion for accuracy and mimicry towards anime concepts at a level unheard of in any interactive software in existence. With graphics and mechanics alike, even the most trivial details have been preserved and escalated by unique, yet accurate methods."

Quoted Brad from the old site. Yes, the current iteration uses Unity, but that's not just it, I also don't have much information to share, as I'm not 100% sure about it either and don't know if I can say anything.

I will try to participate, once more.

>HolyCracks2122

ZEQ2-Lite is an highly edited Quake 3 Arena, but highly doesn't mean totally, it still have a lot of not to slightly edited parts, which makes the overall thing looks really similar to that good ol' FPS.

ZEQ2-Lite isn't about fighting, there's no in-app objective (yet ?), no score, no clan, no cheaters, no hacks, no players. Would all that makes it boring ? Not really, it depends on peoples' interests in fact. I was "playing" as well at the beginning (long ago), because of the information not reaching the master server. Then I was bored and stayed offline testing certain modpacks, until I started modding myself. It's a big and fascinating universe that is behind, with an enormous potential contents and community-wise. ZEQ2-Lite is an easy mod-expandable project, permitting to initiate anyone on a lot of domains, leading to prospering, or even dream realization. ( Wink )

The potential move to Unity (even for ZEQ2-Lite) was proposed back in 2012 when Brad had been working with a few of us, namely Arnold, Mima, and perhaps ScifiSpirit? I know there were others.

I remember that Brad and I were looking into the code to add some extended functionality to the attack systems (we'd specifically talked about Guldo's time freeze and Krillin's Kakusan being able to split, and true guiding for Yamucha's Spirit Ball, since everyone wants to use the beam control, for instance) and after a couple of nights, figured it was easier to move to a new engine than to stick with Quake 3 for this sort of thing, then one thing led to another and nothing really led anywhere else after that Razz

I can only imagine that the others were exploring with him in the same capacity and arrived at the same conclusion, since it was a pretty logical step.

There isn't a meaty Unity branch to speak of(for either ZEQ2 or ZEQ2-Lite), but I think if enough of us showed adequate interest AND skill, that branch might take root and turn into a tree.

The big issue is that while ZEQ2-Lite isn't as accurate-specific as ZEQ2, it still aims to be a lot more accurate than the average guy knocking around a fan project forum aspires to rise to, even if it hasn't met its mark in areas yet.

I think any more information on the subject would have to come specifically from Brad and Arnold, but I know that my experience lined up with a couple of the others in terms of making the jump from Quake 3 to Unity.

Shenku RiO Incarnate View user's profile Send private message

Yeah, last I recall, Brad was trying to recruit people to get on board to jump engines over to Unity to attempt to resume progress on ZEQ2 itself in that instead of continuing with Zios (Never heard why though... Did Zios hit a wall in its development or something?), but there was a lack of interested parties, so it never really took off for a variety of reasons...

qwerty In Advance View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Sunday, November 29, 2015

I think people prefer the UE4 than Unity, it seems more easier to use and more powerful.

here are some examples:

Fist Of Ki

try to imagine ZEQ2 with the UE4 destruction!

or a lot of people aren't interested because they waiting for Earth Special Forces Final, probably the best and definitive Dragon Ball Z game/mod of all time in my opinion.

>Skatter

I'm here in case of a probable engine change, even if it doesn't really make sense to me and that I won't be a big help, you can at least count me in the candidates!

>Shenku

if(!Brad){End();}
else{StillGoing();}

Wink

>qwerty

These don't mean anything, can be done in Unity as well.

qwerty wrote : I think people prefer the UE4 than Unity, it seems more easier to use and more powerful.

I'm not against using UE4, by any stretch. I will say that if Brad moved to Unity, there's probably a good reason for it, regardless of what people prefer.

He's far from infallible, but Brad's done enough research over the years that I trust Brad's direction more than the peoples' preferences.

UE4 doesn't really have anything to do with why more advancement didn't happen on the part of the engine switch.

Wh1t34Gl3(SAS) wrote :
I'm here in case of a probable engine change, even if it doesn't really make sense to me and that I won't be a big help, you can at least count me in the candidates!

There are a lot of reasons to ditch Quake 3, I suspect if you ask Brad, he can probably enlighten you. Basically though all of us sat down with Brad at one point, wanting to extend ZEQ2-Lite's current functionality, kind of like where you are now Smile

If a cleaner method exists for recreating ZEQ2-Lite, making it easier for even people with less programming knowledge to make meaningful changes, I'm all for a system like that!

Your attitude of being willing to transition even if it doesn't make sense to you is a good one, though I still encourage you to talk to Brad about it because it's always easier to contribute to a cause you believe in, right?

qwerty wrote : or a lot of people aren't interested because they waiting for Earth Special Forces Final, probably the best and definitive Dragon Ball Z game/mod of all time in my opinion.

I would say that has absolutely nothing to do with it, since most of the people that had anything to do with any sort of development on ZEQ2-Lite's part check Earth Special Forces about as regularly as I do, which isn't very regularly at all. Most people that came around ZEQ2-Lite weren't interested in development at all, so it doesn't really matter where the gamers go when talking about a project like ZEQ2-Lite.

Don't get me wrong, it's a fine project and I have respect for it-but it has nothing to do with why ZEQ2-Lite's engine transition didn't happen, that'd be asinine.

Shenku RiO Incarnate View user's profile Send private message

Skatter wrote :

qwerty wrote : or a lot of people aren't interested because they waiting for Earth Special Forces Final, probably the best and definitive Dragon Ball Z game/mod of all time in my opinion.

I would say that has absolutely nothing to do with it, since most of the people that had anything to do with any sort of development on ZEQ2-Lite's part check Earth Special Forces about as regularly as I do, which isn't very regularly at all. Most people that came around ZEQ2-Lite weren't interested in development at all, so it doesn't really matter where the gamers go when talking about a project like ZEQ2-Lite.

Don't get me wrong, it's a fine project and I have respect for it-but it has nothing to do with why ZEQ2-Lite's engine transition didn't happen, that'd be asinine.

Pretty much, I think the majority of people who were contributing in any way to ZEQ2-Lite were not much unlike myself, in that I know about Earth Special Forces, but I don't really care for it for a number of reasons, but suffice to say it's less apealing to me than ZEQ2-Lite. Others probably have similar opinions. So yes, Earth Special Forces's development doesn't really have any bearing on ZEQ2-Lite's development.

Reply with quote Monday, November 30, 2015

>Skatter

I know some of them, yeah. I just hope ZEQ2-Lite(ioQ3)'s development won't be closed, even if the other is a success. It's a part of the ZEQ familly, it has it's story, it could still be improved, and most importantly, it was mainly released to not let ZEQ2(ioQ3) go to waste.

It's too bad our last discussion about this didn't continue though, Brad didn't even have the time to participate. We may have learned and settled some things.

As for UE4, was it present when the engine choice has been done ?

Wh1t34Gl3(SAS) wrote : I just hope ZEQ2-Lite(ioQ3)'s development won't be closed, even if the other is a success. It's a part of the ZEQ familly, it has it's story, it could still be improved, and most importantly, it was mainly released to not let ZEQ2(ioQ3) go to waste.

I can't imagine it would be closed-it's still a good example to look at, regardless of future plans. It's still far too good a learning tool to be removed from access, and removing it would run counter to ZEQ2-Lite's goals!

Wh1t34Gl3(SAS) wrote : As for UE4, was it present when the engine choice has been done ?

I don't know that an official choice has ever been made giving a 100% affirmative push for Unity. If it was, I wasn't around for it-probably irresponsibly gallivanting around the internet. I just know that seems to be the gravitational pull-toward unity that is. But even Unity's better than it was when we first started experimenting.

Something I can say is that Unity was a fashion at this time, a reference in it's category. Haven't heard about a lots of other engines (in the same period).

Zeth The Admin View user's profile Send private message

I think people prefer the UE4 than Unity, it seems more easier to use and more powerful.

UE4 would probably win in a popularity contest if done at this time, sure, but it's not necessarily easier nor more powerful.

From what I've gathered, Unreal 4's editor is significantly more impaired in terms of both what you can do with it as far as writing your own editor extensions, working with UI, and overall turnaround time for writing and testing actual code -- not to mention language options (C#/UnityScript/Boo versus C++).

The biggest reason it has a 'mass' appeal is because of the blueprint system -- essentially drag-n-drop programming aimed at neophytes; these exist in Unity as well, but aren't native. I can't speak for how useful blueprints are in a non-hierarchical architecture or on more advanced projects, of course, but it's easy for novice developers to just jump in with a mindset that they can copy/paste their way to victory through existing assets/scripts -- granted this mentality is no different than how some individuals try and use Unity's asset store.

In terms of power, it's really a matter of your knowledge and your goals. Both engines are fairly on par in technique/capability if you are including their respective third-party addons. Without such addons, natively, they excel in different regards, but ultimately both have shortcomings.

I know some of them, yeah. I just hope ZEQ2-Lite(ioQ3)'s development won't be closed, even if the other is a success. It's a part of the ZEQ familly, it has it's story, it could still be improved, and most importantly, it was mainly released to not let ZEQ2(ioQ3) go to waste.

The forums and Subversion respository won't close as long as there's a place to host them. However, continued development could become moot later if better systems come to be that replace ZEQ2-lite's.

It's too bad our last discussion about this didn't continue though, Brad didn't even have the time to participate. We may have learned and settled some things.

I do not recall such a discussion. Maybe I missed it. Do you have a link to the thread?

As for UE4, was it present when the engine choice has been done ?

Yes. It wasn't quite as developed as it is now, but the engine was briefly considered. Most of the developers already have years of experience under Unity at this point. Unless a SIGNIFICANT feature gap is created that cannot be easily overcome, we'll likely stick with Unity for some time.

Something I can say is that Unity was a fashion at this time, a reference in it's category. Haven't heard about a lots of other engines (in the same period).

I wouldn't call it a fashion per-se. Unity is most widely known for it's optimized footprint and massive number of platforms supported -- mobile and web deployment often considered much stronger than the competition. That said, web deployment is now under heavy examination since NPAPI plugin deprecation by browsers.

The forums and Subversion respository won't close as long as there's a place to host them. However, continued development could become moot later if better systems come to be that replace ZEQ2-lite's.

The purpose/s of continuing the development in parallel with the Unity version would be to see how far it can go, and probably attribute it a specific goal ? Just thoughts.

I do not recall such a discussion. Maybe I missed it. Do you have a link to the thread?

It was on Slack, you appeared and replied "Goodness." at the end of it, we never resumed it afterward. Laughing

I wouldn't call it a fashion per-se. Unity is most widely known for it's optimized footprint and massive number of platforms supported -- mobile and web deployment often considered much stronger than the competition. That said, web deployment is now under heavy examination since NPAPI plugin deprecation by browsers.

I aimed the numerous beginners making basic (or assembled assets) indie games by that. 2012/13 was the period. It's now a bit more serious when hearing about Unity projects.

Zeth The Admin View user's profile Send private message

The purpose/s of continuing the development in parallel with the Unity version would be to see how far it can go, and probably attribute it a specific goal ? Just thoughts.

Sure, but what if the Unity version supported EVERYTHING the Quake 3 version does, but even more? Hypothetically, if you have two identical projects with identical assets/features whose main difference is engine age, would there really be a need to have parallel development? I'm not suggesting these are the goals, of course.

It was on Slack, you appeared and replied "Goodness." at the end of it, we never resumed it afterward. :*laughing out loud*:

Bring it up again or quote specific questions/parts you'd like me to respond to. I don't always have a lot of time to read backlogs entirely (granted, I believe I did in this case).

I aimed the numerous beginners making basic (or assembled assets) indie games by that. 2012/13 was the period. It's now a bit more serious when hearing about Unity projects.

Really all depends on your demographic. Who all is in your sample pool and how many?

Reply with quote Tuesday, December 01, 2015

Sure, but what if the Unity version supported EVERYTHING the Quake 3 version does, but even more?

It's not an hypothesis, it's a fact. And we both know it. Laughing

Hypothetically, if you have two identical projects with identical assets/features whose main difference is engine age, would there really be a need to have parallel development? I'm not suggesting these are the goals, of course.

It depends. Concerning ZEQ2-Lite, it would kind of be a waste. And if I'm not mistaken, one of the reason it was started was a way for ZEQ2(ioQ3)'s environment to be still useful after the engine replacement. This time, it can only be moved to the limbo of bradsmithee.com, along with other older iterations of different projects. Really, keeping this iteration opened to improvements would be at the time interesting history and curiosity-wise. Not sure about the others, but I would still have fun tinkering with it, no matter how better the other will be.

Bring it up again or quote specific questions/parts you'd like me to respond to. I don't always have a lot of time to read backlogs entirely (granted, I believe I did in this case).

There's not much that has been said, I think. We were waiting for history class with Prof.Brad. Wink

Really all depends on your demographic. Who all is in your sample pool and how many?

Mainly games that I encountered because of popularity, or searching for specific things and falling on some Unity based.. Things ? Don't know how much exactly, maybe around 15-20.

Actions

Online [ 0 / 6125]