Content

Map: water mirror or other water effects

D_guard_d View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Wednesday, January 06, 2016

Hi,

I saw the water in IslandCityMap how reflects to the character and the map.

I was searching the shader script of this water that reflects, but I don't know why only appears a water that is lightning and other water that is transparent. I know that this map has this water and it works.

In addition, I saw an awesome water effects in a video of this map, I don't know why there's nothing about it in downloads and how to make it.(Link=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NelcJdHfSww). This water I also want to know how to make it.

Please, someone could tell me how to make it?
The water that you look in the video, do you know how to do it?
Any ideas?

I'm interested in these things.

P.D. Baldwin, your map is awesome.

Eagle The Purpose View user's profile Send private message

Nice effect. Looks like an additional pass on both the water and the underwater ground surfaces -- using an animMap or a roq file.

As for the reflections, have you tried the "maps/IslandCityMap/Water" function on your map ?

Yes, it's this:

maps/IslandCityMap/Water
{
cull none
   qer_editorimage maps/IslandCityMap/water3.png
   qer_trans .5
   q3map_globaltexture
   surfaceparm trans
   surfaceparm nonsolid
   //surfaceparm nodraw
   surfaceparm water
   surfaceparm nolightmap
   portal
   sort 1
   {
      map maps/IslandCityMap/water3.png
      blendfunc blend
      alphaGen portal
      depthWrite
   }
   {
      Videomap maps/IslandCityMap/CausticsEffect.roq
      tcmod scale 600 600
      blendfunc add
   }
   {
      rgbGen identity
      map $lightmap
      blendfunc gl_dst_color gl_zero
   }

}

And combining the others waters don't work like the map of IslandCityMap.

I discovered the mirror. It is found here: Bubba map tutorials - the mirror
Edit: the link that I'm giving is an error of the forum, I give you an image of the correct link:

I followed the steps of the tutorial and changing my idea of "common" file, the invisible.png is in "ZEQ2/effects" folder.
With this, I created the shader script:

maps/mirror/mirror1
{
   surfaceparm trans
   surfaceparm nonsolid
   surfaceparm water
   surfaceparm nolightmap
   portal
   {
      map maps/mirror/invisible.png
      blendFunc blend
      depthWrite
   }
}

maps/mirror/mirror2
{
   surfaceparm nolightmap
   portal
   {
      map maps/mirror/invisible.png
      blendFunc blend
      depthWrite
   }
}

Use the mirror1 for create the brush.
If you want appear the mirror, don't forget put the "misc_portal_surface" in the map that says in the tutorial.
It works, but I don't know why in the game this water mirror that I'm checking sometimes is interfering the movements of the character and the map.

okay, for I know that it was this.
And this water?
I hope that someone can say how to make it, please.

Zeth The Admin View user's profile Send private message

Isn't that just a simulation of water caustics? He probably used an extra texture pass and the sin/wave functions to animate it.

>Zeth
I used it for testing his shader script, it's possible, but it is getting very complicated about the "New Water Effects" that appears in the video. If you know some about the New Water Effects, please say me and we will test it as soon as possible.

About the problem that I had about interferences, I found other water mirror in ZEQ2 F3, this water is from Namek map, and I have his shader script that I modified for test it:

maps/namekwater/waterShadow
{
   qer_editorimage maps/Namek/waterShadow.png
   qer_trans .5
   q3map_globaltexture
   surfaceparm trans
   surfaceparm nonsolid
   surfaceparm water
   surfaceparm nolightmap
   portal
   {
      clampmap maps/Namek/waterShadow.png// maps/mirror/invisible.png
      blendfunc blend
      alphaGen portal
      depthWrite
   }
}

This doesn't causes interferences of the movements of character and the map, I think that this shader is well done. If you put the blue water to replace the green water of Namek, it doesn't give you the problems, your water will be changed by blue and it will reflect equal. This problem of interferences has been solved by this shader script, please ignore the shaders scripts of "maps/mirror" and "maps/IslandCityMap/Water" that I posted, this will give you the interferences of movements in your map.

>Brad

Oh, yeah, it's highly probable! Never really explored these functions, as they require some time and thinking to get set up. Interesting thing.

>D_guard_d

And this water?

We both answered this. The best approach to get this result would be as Brad said though -- that is adding another pass/member to the function using rgbGen Wave Sin.

Not sure if it will work, but you can try this (replace the <> arguments by yours).

{
      clampMap <texture path>
      rgbGen wave sin <are> <g> <b> <amp>
      rgbGen vertex
      blendfunc add
}

Reply with quote Thursday, January 07, 2016

Wh1t34Gl3(SAS) wrote : >Brad

Oh, yeah, it's highly probable! Never really explored these functions, as they require some time and thinking to get set up. Interesting thing.

>D_guard_d

And this water?

We both answered this. The best approach to get this result would be as Brad said though -- that is adding another pass/member to the function using rgbGen Wave Sin.

Not sure if it will work, but you can try this (replace the <> arguments by yours).

{
      clampMap <texture path>
      rgbGen wave sin <are> <g> <b> <amp>
      rgbGen vertex
      blendfunc add
}

I tried it, it doesn't work, but the rgbGen is a change of color, it isn't what I'm looking for.
The Videomap that he put in the shader script, I converted the CausticsEffect roq file to mp4, I watched it and this is the water effect that we are searching.

Reply with quote Thursday, January 07, 2016

Making a plane and making a box in 3DS Max, exporting them in .ASE and using the shader script with the Videomap of CausticsEffect.roq, this doesn't work correctly equal to the video of "ZEQ2-Lite [New Water Effects]".

More things, I discovered a forum that one of our members posted this: http://www.quake3world.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=47100
The images that aren't appearing in the post of the forum of quake3world, I used the HTML for view the url of these images of this forum.

In this page web, the broken images:
Tiled at "tcmod scale 1 1" (Normal)

Tiled at "tcmod scale 2 2" (Tiled of course)

I'm figuring that this was Baldwin.

Any idea how to make it correctly as the video looks?

Reply with quote Friday, January 08, 2016

I tried it, it doesn't work, but the rgbGen is a change of color, it isn't what I'm looking for.
The Videomap that he put in the shader script, I converted the CausticsEffect roq file to mp4, I watched it and this is the water effect that we are searching.

Mmh... I thought about this result, wasn't sure. Might be "tcmod turb" then. Stay connected on Discord, I will try to come as soon as I can -- in around 10 hours.

If it can be achieved through scripting, it would save resources in plus of providing more settings/possibilities.

Reply with quote Friday, January 08, 2016

>Wh1t34Gl3(SAS)
I believe that you can stop trying it if you want.

I found the things about this, this is in the topic of Zhane's City in the Addon Forums section, link: http://ZEQ2.com/lite/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5533&start=150&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight= in the last post of the page 7:

Baldwin wrote :
When my NEW "gaming" laptop arrives, I'll finish this. Enjoy!!

Link: http://www.mediafire.com/?g4dno9p5r95eu8d

Password: City15

ITS RECOMMENDED THAT YOU UPDATE TO THE LATEST SVN(1732) If not. GOT O the LATEST. In order for this to work.

There are a handful of bugs that needs to be tackled when my laptop arrives.

ENJOY!!...Take screens!

INSTALL INSTRUCTIONS.

Put the "pk3" File in ZEQ2/ NOT ZEQ2/Maps...
In the folder where the map, effects, scripts etc.. sub-folders are.

I downloaded his map, I used it in ZEQ2 Revision 1916, the new water effects appears! I checked the shader script that this map has and I used his water. This problem that the new water effects aren't appearing in our ZEQ2 Revision 1536 that we're using is strange.

Is it possible apply the contents of ZEQ2 Revision 1916 to ZEQ2 Revision 1536?
Because I want to use it and I want to maintain the server searcher of ZEQ2 Revision 1536, please.

Zeth The Admin View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Saturday, January 09, 2016

If you're using tcmod operations, make sure you don't have a clamped texture as well (use map instead of clampmap). Also, I linked the incorrect page. Wave/Sine functions ARE what's used to accomplish the effect, but tcMod is what you should be using with it.

tcMod stretch sin 1.2 .8 0 1.5

Tweak values as need be. You can also have a texture rotate/spin or scroll using tcMod operations. Basically vertex coordinate modifications.

Baldwin Lost Soul View user's profile Send private message

This one took me a while to get because the main code in the game needed changes..

You can only use the new water effects on the latest svn because it has changes to the roq file and other internal changes to the code.

1536 doesn't so it can't be used on it, I think I made two versions one for 1536 and for the latest one.

Did you make any progress on getting it to work?

Baldwin wrote : This one took me a while to get because the main code in the game needed changes..

You can only use the new water effects on the latest svn because it has changes to the roq file and other internal changes to the code.

1536 doesn't so it can't be used on it, I think I made two versions one for 1536 and for the latest one.

Did you make any progress on getting it to work?

No, I checked to move the files of 1916 to 1536 and I can't play online, it doesn't work.
If you have a solution to use the ZEQ2 Revision 1916 to play online, this revision can't be played in Internet, I'm saying that I can't play the 1916 online, it doesn't appear servers in the list of servers in Internet. In 1536, I can play online.

Reply with quote Wednesday, January 13, 2016

okay, guys, this water is better that we let it. This will be an idea for the revisions 1732 or latest, it's possible that in the future will have the best revision that we can play for this effects.

Well, I was looking for the "deformVertexes" in the scripts and I have some good, I'll give you a script that makes the water waving or creating waves.

Here the script:

maps/water/water
{
   qer_editorimage maps/water/water.png
   qer_trans .5
   q3map_globaltexture
   surfaceparm trans
   surfaceparm nonsolid
   surfaceparm water
   surfaceparm nolightmap
   portal
   tessSize 128
   deformVertexes bulge 3 30 1
   {
      clampmap maps/water/water.png
      blendfunc blend
      alphaGen portal
      depthWrite
   }
}

I found it in: (as I said, I can't give you an URL because the forum changes the letters)
I used it searching the shader 'gkcspinemove' with his functions.
If you want to use this function script for something, just copy "tessSize 128" and "deformVertexes bulge 3 10 1" at the correct order.

Reply with quote Wednesday, January 13, 2016

1up clan from Urban Terror ?

Hu hu. Good days...

Actions

Online [ 0 / 6125]