Content

Question about server setup and costumization.

icedusan View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Tuesday, May 03, 2016

Sup guys!

Some of you who play the game online might have seen my server coming by. The name is IceDusan, started playing again a week ago but what I noticed is that there aren't any or not many dedicated servers that run for long times and are stable. So I figured might as well start hosting then, since I have been hosting servers and games for about 8 years now. Anyway that's my introduction here's my question.

I'm looking to costumize the server as much as possible tweak characters, energy usage damage etc. Because as prolly many of you know some characters flat out bloppity blip bloop to the point where its just discomforting to have said charachter on your server. Usually on ZEQ2 I wouldn't bother but I want to make the server as enjoyable, stable and balanced as possible while still leaving some room for strong charachteristics here and there. I.E. gokus Spirit Bomb krillins destructo disc and Piccolo's nail gun (special beam cannon). So I have been messing around with the settings for that a few days now and its coming along nicely. So question about this part is it possible to edit individual attacks as in power consumption, damage, etc.?

As for my next question is about server safety stability and in turn enjoyment. I don't need to say how easy it is to breakdown a server if the person hosting doesn't know what he's doing. Myself included in the first few days... so I managed to secure the server to some extend but I'm wondering what else I could do perhaps if anyone has a list for me on thing, of what I should look out for.

Now that's safety, as for stability currently I'm thinking about implementing the rcon system there is just one question about that, I can't really test it right now because the server is running but if I happen to enter rcon<pass> instead of /rcon<pass> will that print it as a "say" on the chat for everyone to see? I can imagine that having catastrophical consequences. Is there perhaps another way of rcon or remote admin possibilities like mods or addons that I could add to the server?

As for a part of all 3 mentioned categories above. The names of players joining usually its Goku Goldedition or revo# latelty I have also started seeing Invite###_###. Question on that part, is it possible instead of whitelisting player names to create a blacklist or something? Perhaps a way to refuse people connecting with non unique names onto the server, preferbly giving them a message in console that they should change their names. Because it might seem irrelevant, but imagine a Goku starts spamming the server with text or blasts, you could kick each Goku of the server or you could use status them dumpuser<name> and hope you can find his IP if the person isn't smart enough to use a vpn but that's something different to worry about another time. that's security wise. But same thing goes for enjoyement lets say you are fighting aplayer and you really enjoy fighting him/her in the end you both are left with 1 hp and one of you deals the final punch or you both get blasted. Lets say both these players didn't bother to change their names to something else then Goku, and both were playing the standard Goku charachter, how will these 2 find each other again in a server with 10 Goku's? They could use the chat but hey Goku: where are you? Goku:who? Goku:you. Goku: me? Goku:me? Goku:I'm here. Goku: what?.... you get the point. Would be easier if everyone had a unique name even if it's just a number like Goku1 Goku2 etc. So is it possible to implement some kind of script to make the server force names changes or perhaps give random # to a name that already exists on the server?

Thus far my questions any and all help/suggestions are welcome. I consider myself average on scripting in most languages. Might be useful information for you guys.

EDIT: I was also wondering if its possible to make a charachter exclusive to say admins for example, that I could edit to be like invincible spectators or something. Because I personally like to sit on top of a rock and just spectate everyone look for blast spammmes and stuff.

greets,

IceDusan

Shenku RiO Incarnate View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Tuesday, May 03, 2016

icedusan wrote : Sup guys!

Some of you who play the game online might have seen my server coming by. The name is IceDusan, started playing again a week ago but what I noticed is that there aren't any or not many dedicated servers that run for long times and are stable. So I figured might as well start hosting then, since I have been hosting servers and games for about 8 years now. Anyway that's my introduction here's my question.

First off, while I'm willing to answer your questions here, as some do have some relevance, ZEQ2-Lite shouldn't be getting played right now, as it is presently, for both development and Stable revisions, not in a condition for balanced or fully functional "play".

I'm looking to costumize the server as much as possible tweak characters, energy usage damage etc. Because as prolly many of you know some characters flat out bloppity blip bloop to the point where its just discomforting to have said charachter on your server. Usually on ZEQ2 I wouldn't bother but I want to make the server as enjoyable, stable and balanced as possible while still leaving some room for strong charachteristics here and there. I.E. gokus Spirit Bomb krillins destructo disc and Piccolo's nail gun (special beam cannon). So I have been messing around with the settings for that a few days now and its coming along nicely. So question about this part is it possible to edit individual attacks as in power consumption, damage, etc.?

Yes, you can edit them on a per-character basis, just open each character's folder in the players folder, and look for the .phys files to adjust their settings.

As for my next question is about server safety stability and in turn enjoyment. I don't need to say how easy it is to breakdown a server if the person hosting doesn't know what he's doing. Myself included in the first few days... so I managed to secure the server to some extend but I'm wondering what else I could do perhaps if anyone has a list for me on thing, of what I should look out for.

All of these issues are symptoms of exactly why we have been telling people for years not to play ZEQ2-Lite. If it were in a state where it was fully functional, and moderately setup well enough to defend against abuse, we wouldn't so adamantly tell people to stop playing on servers...

Now that's safety, as for stability currently I'm thinking about implementing the rcon system there is just one question about that, I can't really test it right now because the server is running but if I happen to enter rcon<pass> instead of /rcon<pass> will that print it as a "say" on the chat for everyone to see? I can imagine that having catastrophical consequences. Is there perhaps another way of rcon or remote admin possibilities like mods or addons that I could add to the server?

There might be a way to do that, but you would probably need to code that in yourself, as the current system isn't really setup for that. Server-only command functions, and remote admin commands too probably, were probably on some far distant future to-do list, but since no one's been working on the code really, nothing has gotten done for any server adjustments in a good long while.

As for a part of all 3 mentioned categories above. The names of players joining usually its Goku Goldedition or revo# latelty I have also started seeing Invite###_###. Question on that part, is it possible instead of whitelisting player names to create a blacklist or something? Perhaps a way to refuse people connecting with non unique names onto the server, preferbly giving them a message in console that they should change their names. Because it might seem irrelevant, but imagine a Goku starts spamming the server with text or blasts, you could kick each Goku of the server or you could use status them dumpuser<name> and hope you can find his IP if the person isn't smart enough to use a vpn but that's something different to worry about another time. that's security wise. But same thing goes for enjoyement lets say you are fighting aplayer and you really enjoy fighting him/her in the end you both are left with 1 hp and one of you deals the final punch or you both get blasted. Lets say both these players didn't bother to change their names to something else then Goku, and both were playing the standard Goku charachter, how will these 2 find each other again in a server with 10 Goku's? They could use the chat but hey Goku: where are you? Goku:who? Goku:you. Goku: me? Goku:me? Goku:I'm here. Goku: what?.... you get the point. Would be easier if everyone had a unique name even if it's just a number like Goku1 Goku2 etc. So is it possible to implement some kind of script to make the server force names changes or perhaps give random # to a name that already exists on the server?

That's an issue with the dated engine, and a lack of database to cross-check character names against, and I'm really not certain there's a way to fix it outside of a major overhaul of the entire server architecture.

Thus far my questions any and all help/suggestions are welcome. I consider myself average on scripting in most languages. Might be useful information for you guys.

If you know any C, you can download the code off the SVN and poke through it to make any more advanced changes that you want. Be forewarned that the code is a little all over the place with old IO Quake 3 code, and hodge-podged ZEQ2-Lite systems.

EDIT: I was also wondering if its possible to make a charachter exclusive to say admins for example, that I could edit to be like invincible spectators or something. Because I personally like to sit on top of a rock and just spectate everyone look for blast spammmes and stuff.

greets,

IceDusan

I'm not entirely sure if that's possible as the engine stands currently, particularly since there is presently no way to create an invincible character. There is a spectator mode though, I believe, or at least there use to be, so it's probably still in there for certain server modes unless it was since removed as part of the many updates that were made between Public Beta 1 and the Stable SVN release...

Oh, and this belongs more in the discussion section, so moving this there.

Actions

Online [ 0 / 6125]