Content

Fund Raising - Part 4 - To keep us alive!

MDave ZEQ2-lite Ninja View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Friday, May 20, 2016

UPDATE: GOAL!

$229.87!

That means donations have reached and surpassed the goal! Awesome stuff! Very Happy

Goal met!

The $14.92 left over from surpassing the goal can be carried over to the next payment in 2 years time Very Happy

Thank you again for all your donations, you're keeping this community alive, and all the projects that are hosted on the server too!

For those that wonder about using ads on the site to generate income for hosting; In this day and age, that isn't a viable source of funding. Everyone uses ad blockers (and rightly so!) and we don't get enough traffic to make it feasible.

And we prefer going the ad-free route for all our users for the best user experience Smile

Thank you once again!

Original post wrote :

Hi there! It's that time again.

The host, Dreamhost, which provides ZEQ2-lite with this site, forums, and SVN for the project, are asking for hosting payment once more. Smile

The due date is July 20th.

Dreamhost hosting costs $214.80 every two years.

I humbly ask, for donations to raise enough funds to pay for another 2 years of hosting. Smile

We managed to do it the last three times, can we do it again? Very Happy

Even just $1 would be extremely helpful, it adds up!
If you are interested, then read on Smile

If donations exceed the total required, then they will carry on over for the next 2 years of hosting, or if you wish a refund.

If we don't reach the total required, then all donations will be refunded back, something bad will happen, like the host shutting us down.

I can refund your donation at any time if you wish.

Donate using this page: Here.

If you get problems with that page, then you can send donations via PayPal to this address: [email protected]

Thank you for reading, please support ZEQ2-lite!

All those that donate will definitely be worshipped like Lloyds for keeping this place alive Very Happy

We have $95.01 to start off with from last time since we had that much more then we needed previously Smile already a large amount there!

Total money raised: $229.87

Donator Heroes:

Skatter: $25.17
Shenku: $65.67
Charlie: $43.87

Shenku RiO Incarnate View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Friday, May 20, 2016

I don't get paid until next week, so if we still haven't reached the goal by then, I'll put up as much as I can spare then.

Domitjen The Champ View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Saturday, May 21, 2016

Still waiting on my vr version mate:p

Eagle The Purpose View user's profile Send private message

Can't believe it's this time again... Time flies way too quickly.

Domitjen wrote : Still waiting on my vr version mate:p

You forgot the builds I sent you? Razz Although they were glitchy haha. Biggest problem is how the engine renders in such a way that is not made for stereoscopic views using GLSL shaders, unfortunately. It conflicts with our engine stuff. Something beyond my skill level, as the implementation I put in that was available for ioquake3 was itself incomplete too, based on the very first Oculus SDK. Best bet would be to see if there is a finished or more up to date implementation based on the latest Oculus SDK, and hope it doesn't conflict too much with our own engine rendering changes.

Or wait for a Unity build of ZEQ2-Lite Razz if only we had supporters for that though...

Zeth The Admin View user's profile Send private message

Still waiting on my vr version mate:p

Donations are strictly for svn/site/forum hosting. Not development in any shape or form.

Reply with quote Sunday, May 22, 2016

MDave wrote :

Domitjen wrote : Still waiting on my vr version mate:p

You forgot the builds I sent you? Razz Although they were glitchy haha. Biggest problem is how the engine renders in such a way that is not made for stereoscopic views using GLSL shaders, unfortunately. It conflicts with our engine stuff. Something beyond my skill level, as the implementation I put in that was available for ioquake3 was itself incomplete too, based on the very first Oculus SDK. Best bet would be to see if there is a finished or more up to date implementation based on the latest Oculus SDK, and hope it doesn't conflict too much with our own engine rendering changes.

Or wait for a Unity build of ZEQ2-Lite Razz if only we had supporters for that though...

Hehe, I know, don't worry, I was merely joking. Don't take my comment too seriously. I know that it's almost improbable, I just couldn't resist myself..you know me :p

Zeth The Admin View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Monday, May 23, 2016

Well, it's certainly possible to do, but I'd definitely recommend it in another engine (certainly not Quake 3). Also, VR is mostly benefited from a first person perspective rather than a third-person one -- so that'd require a change in some interaction dynamics.

I'd recommend opening a thread (or finding the old one better yet) if you want to continue discussion.

Reply with quote Monday, May 23, 2016

Zeth wrote : Well, it's certainly possible to do, but I'd definitely recommend it in another engine (certainly not Quake 3). Also, VR is mostly benefited from a first person perspective rather than a third-person one -- so that'd require a change in some interaction dynamics.

I'd recommend opening a thread (or finding the old one better yet) if you want to continue discussion.

No need to open another thread because I will not go further into this because I know what the end result will be anyway. But I do want to tell you that third person vr games are sometimes even better than first person ones. of course when they are made for vr from the ground up.

Take Chrones,edge of tomorrow or Luckey's Tale for example, when showing trailers of those games on a simple monitor, everyone will feel a bit underwhelmed, but when people actually played them on a vr headset they were proven wrong going by the reviews.

First person vr games are a bit tougher to deal with the locomotion and such.

That's all Smile

Reply with quote Tuesday, May 24, 2016

And our first donation rolls in!

£17.26 or $25.17 when converted Very Happy

This brings the total to $120.18!

And the honour goes to: Skatter!

Thank you very much Very Happy

Reply with quote Friday, May 27, 2016

Donation sent.

Shenku, wow! £44.86 converted is $65.67!

Bringing the total to $185.85.

Thanks a million Very Happy

MDave wrote : Shenku, wow! £44.86 converted is $65.67!

Bringing the total to $185.85.

Thanks a million Very Happy

Was it? The converter I used must have been broken then, cause I was shooting for $50 when I checked the exchange rate this morning...

Ah well, not a big deal so long as it gets us closer to the funding goal.

Reply with quote Saturday, May 28, 2016

The exchange rate might change again when it comes time for the Dreamhost payment. I wonder if I can create a US paypal account, although because I don't have a bank in the US it wouldn't be a verified account, and make transferring money slower going through Paypal's system ...

Will get someone with a US Paypal to collect donations next time hah!

No worries though, even if the exchange rate is worse by the time of Dreamhost payment, I will pay the difference!

EDIT: I realise there is also a difference between the regular exchange rate when you use Google, and Paypal's exchange rate. Because Paypal take a small amount for the exchange, I suppose that might be why it looks more then the regular exchange rate.

Reply with quote Sunday, May 29, 2016

Alrighty then! Received a £30 donation from Charlie!

Converted to dollars at the time of this post, is $43.87.

Bringing the total to ...

$229.87!

Thank you so much Charlie! Awesome of you to donate Smile

That means donations have reached and surpassed the goal! Awesome stuff! Very Happy

Goal met!

The $14.92 left over from surpassing the goal can be carried over to the next payment in 2 years time Very Happy

Thank you again for all your donations, you're keeping this community alive, and all the projects that are hosted on the server too!

For those that wonder about using ads on the site to generate income for hosting; In this day and age, that isn't a viable source of funding. Everyone uses ad blockers (and rightly so!) and we don't get enough traffic to make it feasible.

And we prefer going the ad-free route for all our users for the best user experience Smile

Thank you once again!

Eagle The Purpose View user's profile Send private message

Thanks for your help guys! Let's continue this amazing adventure on all the hosted projects; hopefully reaching our goals the soonest!

Sweet deal, that didn't take long to raise the funds at all this time. Smile

Actions

Online [ 0 / 6125]