Content

Create Maps

nielsmillikan View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Hello there.

I am trying to create maps for zeq2lite. I am using gtkradiant 1.4 for quake 3. I need textures for the map cause the original quake 3 textures are gloomy and dull and won't suit the Dragon Ball Z environment.

Will you PLEASE upload a rar file with all the textures. Making them myself in Photoshop will take a lot of time and also I am not so good at Photoshop.

Please help me out.

Zeth The Admin View user's profile Send private message

The textures are already provided with the ZEQ2-lite build.

ZEQ2Contents\maps\landing, for instance.

madman122 View user's profile Send private message

it would be cool if the team started doing maps as models and using blank bsp files so the maps will show up in the select screen with modeld maps there's more space to fight

it would be cool if the team started doing maps as models and using blank bsp files so the maps will show up in the select screen with modeld maps there's more space to fight

Not sure I follow. Our maps ARE modeled and have already pushed beyond the physical size limit in Quake 3 several times.

Damaera View user's profile Send private message

Zeth wrote :

Not sure I follow. Our maps ARE modeled and have already pushed beyond the physical size limit in Quake 3 several times.

He's talking about VBO.

Reply with quote Wednesday, October 28, 2009

VBO is just an optimization technique for offsetting work to the GPU. Although it would provide a performance boost (if implemented properly), it's not currently supported and most certainly not needed to use modeled maps.

Alex Al Knows View user's profile Send private message

I'm confused about what vertex buffers have to do with "modelling a map in a blank bsp" Confused Vertex buffer objects (VBO's) are purely a method of keeping vertex data on the GPU rather than having to send the data down the pipe every time it's to be rendered. It gives a very big performance boost when you have lots of non-animated meshes being drawn every frame with no changes to the vertices or indices.

Enabling the use of VBO's in the Quake 3 engine so it was the primary method of sending the GPU data rather than bulk vertex arrays would be a chore to say the least as the whole renderer is designed for batching vertex arrays. Further more it would negate tons of optimizations the engine already has, such as visibility culling as it wouldn't be able to cull polygons from the VBOs. Further it also batches polygons of the same material together to reduce the draw calls, using VBO's would cause issues with the batching as VBO's simply can not be altered like that at run time (well, they can, just it's bloody slow and can stall the pipeline.)

Chances are, using VBO's in that manner in Quake 3 -would reduce performance due to more unseen polygons being rendered and, more importantly, far more draw calls being made and as any graphics programmer knows draw calls are evil when it comes to performance.

nielsmillikan View user's profile Send private message

Two questions : (for the developers)

1) Do you use gtk radiant 1.5?
2) Can you provide me the 'landing.map' file (if you used gtkradiant) so that I can get an idea as how to make the maps?

Damaera View user's profile Send private message

Alex wrote : I'm confused about what vertex buffers have to do with "modelling a map in a blank bsp" Confused

Basically he's suggesting that you guys model the maps in 3ds max and create blank bsp files (which is improbable with quake since quake doesn't use the bsp file format) so the map loads properly.. which is basically what Naruto: Naiteki Kensei does.

Reply with quote Thursday, October 29, 2009

Basically he's suggesting that you guys model the maps in 3ds max and create blank bsp files (which is improbable with quake since quake doesn't use the bsp file format) so the map loads properly.. which is basically what Naruto: Naiteki Kensei does.

Quake 3 DOES use the BSP format for it's maps. Yes, we could create it so that there's only one blank BSP file for maps that are loaded as objects. However, not only would this mean that you could not use many shader keywords that require map compilation, but you'd have no visibility/collision data as this is built into the BSP itself. While the visibility data isn't used currently in our open maps, the collision data is.

Alternative collision solutions would be to use either [a] raw triangle data, which is slow and inefficient or [b] primitive collision shapes for each object, which is not reasonable for complex shapes like terrain (which would be best using a heightmap lookup). Both would require additional implementation without much gain and as such are pretty much deemed impractical to implement.

1) Do you use gtk radiant 1.5?
2) Can you provide me the 'landing.map' file (if you used gtkradiant) so that I can get an idea as how to make the maps?

1. We use netradiant (a form on GTK radiant) http://dev.alientrap.org/wiki/7
2. Not available at the moment (likely will be in a developer pack on the next update). Essentially all you need to do is model your map in whatever means you see fit, import it into radiant, add a skybox, and compile (after making sure your shader/texture paths were right).

Damaera wrote :

Alex wrote : I'm confused about what vertex buffers have to do with "modelling a map in a blank bsp" Confused

On a point of interst, the Half-Life engine's BSP format is pretty much the same Quake 1's BSP format just extended a bit, exactly as Quake 3's BSP format is pretty much the same as Q1's but extended a bit. After all, both Quake 3 and Half-Life engines come from the same family tree Wink

And yes, I knew he was saying "model maps with polygons rather than standard BSP brushes", but that still doesn't answer my question about what using Vertex Buffer Objects have to do with any of it Smile

And yes, I knew he was saying "model maps with polygons rather than standard BSP brushes", but that still doesn't answer my question about what using Vertex Buffer Objects have to do with any of it Smile

Probably due to the fact that Earth Special Forces and Naruto: Naiteki Kensei have promoted the concept of VBO as primarily a schema that allows you to use your modeled works as scenes over the more generalized concept of what it offers.

Ahh, that makes sense. I don't follow Earth Special Forces or Naruto: Naiteki Kensei so never seen such misuse of the term Smile

Though it is a pet peeve of mine when people use technical terms as buzzwords for things which aren't particularly anything to do with what the term actually means, especially in such large communities of uninformed participants as Earth Special Forces where what's said by the teams is percieved to be truer than true. I've crossed verbal swords many a time with people who've got agitated when I try correcting them and explaining what such a term actually means *laughing out loud*

Actions

Online [ 0 / 6125]