Content

<<  1, 2, 3

Forum Filter

Zielan KoRnified View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Friday, August 20, 2010

one heck of a good fisherman

Zeth The Admin View user's profile Send private message

@MDaveUK I wasn't talking about just those, I was talking about abbreviations in general like Dragon Ball Online, Warcraft 3, Half Life, Dragon Ball Z and *laughing out loud* for example.

Why would you spell out an acronym if you didn't mean it's context? That makes no sense whatsoever. Most of those exist for either sake of clarity or to show how silly people sound when they are using the words. If you aren't laughing out loud every 3 words, you should NOT be using the relative to acronym to express that you are.

Aside from derogative word replacements and acronym adjustments, the word filter actually has over 250 common typos, corrections, etc. that help improve the quality of viewing general posts.

Postscript : Don't attempt to go around the word filter. Not only is it actually against the guidelines to do so, but your new "variation" word is instantly added to the database in a new form. The more you attempt to go around the filter, the more frequently absurd your posts will start to sound.

Oh please tell me SOMEONE has that one thread in archive (or a picture) from the old forums with the legendary user who wouldn't stop going around the word filter?

void View user's profile Send private message

1. Please consider removing the single letter filters at least. As TRL pointed out they often do the opposite of what you actually intent.

They are common abbreviations after all and while I know you dislike this fact, that does not help potential posts debugging GLSL scripts or the likes where u_TexCoord0.you or u_Color.are are selectors and there's no real possiblity to avoid them (sure you could use u_TexCoord0.x but that's the opposite of what you intend to do).

although a much rarer occurence it also hinders any discussion of physical or mathematical formulas.

2. Other than that I'd also like to disagree on the forums actually improving on readability with the *laughing out loud* and *rolling on floor laughing* filter and a couple other "common abbreviation extenders".

There are enough crazy guys around here that use *laughing out loud* and *rolling on floor laughing* as if they were punctuation and ignoring the abbreviated form is much easier than trying to find the needle of probably valuable information in the *laughing out loud* *rolling on floor laughing* haystack.

The way the brain of fast-reading humans functions is on a per word basis, looking at the first and last letter of a word and then finding a fitting known word with equal length. You can do that with the original *rolling on floor laughing* but not what *rolling on floor laughing* gets turned into here since you don't read 4 words at the same time and it's generally too big to be in focus of the eyes at the same time, also looking for the starting * and * is much more brain work than just skimming the original.

(If you don't get what I mean, check this link: http://forums.techarena.in/off-topic-chat/1205040.htm)

Further, enhancing the size of text by spelling out every single word isn't exactly useful, even in the academic world well known abbreviations are encouraged or otherwise common ones pertaining to a specific field if they are explained in a glossary.

And where's the consistency? Earth Special Forces but not Z Enters Quake 2? Why is PNG still PNG and not Portable Network Graphics? or GLSL Open Graphics Library Shading Language? Clearly there's a reason for that and even Half-Life's executable was called Half-Life.exe which curiously enough gets loved up by the word filter too so you can't even tell someone to back up his Half-Life.exe which is weird in the end.

In the end the filter has reached a point where it causes more problems than it was originally intended to fix and any type of support on technical issues or discussion thereof is highly discouraged.

You're giving the outside impression of a kindergarten community that naturally will mostly attract that kind of people in turn.

It's discomforting for serious people to see half of their post translated to jibberish even though they made a "correct" post, just because you expect that your community consists entirely of numbnubts who write "WHERE are (SINGLE LETTER) you (SINGLE LETTER) LOADIN' Half-Life DUDE?"

You can't even say "improbable" just because there was once a certain context that didn't fit the word. On this forum you can't even say that "mission improbable" is your favorite movie or "are type" your favorite game.

Zeth The Admin View user's profile Send private message

1. Please consider removing the single letter filters at least. As TRL pointed out they often do the opposite of what you actually intent.

Programmers should know the way to circumvent them to express variables anyhow.

2. Other than that I'd also like to disagree on the forums actually improving on readability with the *laughing out loud* and *rolling on floor laughing* filter and a couple other "common abbreviation extenders".

Broadening internet acronyms is mostly done to show users how they sound when using such a term and thereby discourage use.

The way the brain of fast-reading humans functions is on a per word basis, looking at the first and last letter of a word and then finding a fitting known word with equal length. You can do that with the original *rolling on floor laughing* but not what *rolling on floor laughing* gets turned into here since you don't read 4 words at the same time and it's generally too big to be in focus of the eyes at the same time, also looking for the starting * and * is much more brain work than just skimming the original.

Irrelevant. Internet acronyms aren't a component of the human language and are certainly not pronouns. The idea is to discourage their usage overall. Grammar and intelligence have importance and should always take priority rather than promoting simian linguistics.

And where's the consistency? Earth Special Forces but not Z Enters Quake 2? Why is PNG still PNG and not Portable Network Graphics? or GLSL Open Graphics Library Shading Language? Clearly there's a reason for that and even Half Life's executable was called Half Life.exe which curiously enough gets loved up by the word filter too so you can't even tell someone to back up his Half Life.exe which is weird in the end.

The only pronoun-type acronyms that have been expanded are those of relative forum association -- to avoid confusion with similar acronyms that may exist otherwise. We'd rather new users not be totally confused at people tossing around terms used frequently only within this community.

Also, ZEQ does NOT and NEVER HAS stood for "Z Enters Quake". That was a fan-interpretation made years ago. ZEQ is a hollow acronym actually poking at the very concept of acronym usage (thus another reason why their treatment on these boards is radically skewed from the norm).

You can't even say "improbable" just because there was once a certain context that didn't fit the word. On this forum you can't even say that "mission improbable" is your favorite movie or "are type" your favorite game.

This has nothing to do with a certain context. The entire project was started on the basis that nothing can be that word -- regardless. The usage of improbable is yet another unique trait this board has for historical reason. The act of not being able to flag a movie title clearly is of little consequence.

In the end the filter has reached a point where it causes more problems than it was originally intended to fix and any type of support on technical issues or discussion thereof is highly discouraged.

There are no problems and the filter will not be changing regardless. There have been far larger and more elaborate posts made on the old forums concerning it's usage, but the fact of the matter if that it's existed for over half a decade and embodies a key character trait of these boards.

The boards are built upon a phpBB2 foundation and I simply don't have the time or desire to muck about and work on fixing something archaic that simply does not need fixing in the first place.

It's a waste of time and energy that could be spent in other areas of the project -- just as is you expressing contempt towards the filter's usage in a long-winded post (along with other threads) when more pressing matters should be taking priority.

void View user's profile Send private message

Zeth wrote : Programmers should know the way to circumvent them to express variables anyhow.

Then tell me how I can write a single letter word like are in a way that'll prevent it from getting filtered. Razz

EDIT:

Zeth wrote : It's a waste of time and energy that could be spent in other areas of the project -- just as is you expressing contempt towards the filter's usage in a long-winded post (along with other threads) when more pressing matters should be taking priority.

Okay after finishing reading of your post I'd like to officially announce my immediate withdrawal from this project and forums.

I can live with the word filter and your crazy ideas about how to do things, but I'll decide myself what I do with my time and if I want to spend 10 minutes posting on these forums I don't need you to come and tell me something along the lines of "go back to coding slave".

As a sidenote it's ridiculous to say that removing the word filter is a waste of time when it's one click as opposed to maintaining it by adding new words all the time, but have fun with it.

ESFER25 View user's profile Send private message

void wrote :

ESFER25 wrote : one heck of a good fisherman are filtered.

Haha what's the original for that one? Very Happy

applesauce humdinger

najeeb My Sir View user's profile Send private message

ESFER25 wrote :

void wrote :

ESFER25 wrote : one heck of a good fisherman are filtered.

Haha what's the original for that one? Very Happy

applesauce humdinger

ESFR ESFR BROUGHT PIE TO EVERYONE AND ONCE I FLEW A BIRD AND WE WENT INTO SPACE

TRL View user's profile Send private message

void wrote :

Zeth wrote : Programmers should know the way to circumvent them to express variables anyhow.

Then tell me how I can write a single letter word like are in a way that'll prevent it from getting filtered. Razz

EDIT:

Zeth wrote : It's a waste of time and energy that could be spent in other areas of the project -- just as is you expressing contempt towards the filter's usage in a long-winded post (along with other threads) when more pressing matters should be taking priority.

Okay after finishing reading of your post I'd like to officially announce my immediate withdrawal from this project and forums.

I can live with the word filter and your crazy ideas about how to do things, but I'll decide myself what I do with my time and if I want to spend 10 minutes posting on these forums I don't need you to come and tell me something along the lines of "go back to coding slave".

As a sidenote it's ridiculous to say that removing the word filter is a waste of time when it's one click as opposed to maintaining it by adding new words all the time, but have fun with it.

Hey don't leave void!
Brad gets a little hitler on all of us at times. Wink

Damaera View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Saturday, August 21, 2010

I still think at least "gooey insides" should be uncensored.

TheXenon View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Saturday, August 21, 2010

First it was Denz, then Lfs and now Void. I wonder who will leave next. Something tells me Void is of far more importance than Lfs or Denz seeing as how they weren't official members of the team. I don't think losing Void is a small matter. Shocked

<<  1, 2, 3

Actions

Online [ 0 / 6125]