Content

1, 2  >>

Dragonball Evolution

The-Kakarotto View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Friday, September 25, 2009

._. I watched this movie at the cinemas WAAAAAAAY back and rented it out yesterday. I could say that this movie was on the brink of being totally trash but it wasn't quite there. The one thing I could not get past no matter what I tried was the fact that Oozaru serves a Namek. Saiyans killed Nameks for sport did they not? I mean, what the heck WAS THE DIRECTOR THINKING!!!! And the cheesy lines and the friggin strawberry scene. lloyd HELP ME!
The only cool things would be the Martial Arts and the special effects. Hmmmm. Apparently, there will be two more. Hopefully the director comes to his senses and doesn't screw up Raditz and the Saiyans. Who would play Vegeta??? Like Hugh Jackman or something???

mel "I'll Mop Your Face!" View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Friday, September 25, 2009

hahha..*laughing out loud*

Reply with quote Saturday, September 26, 2009

Actually, let's hear some thoughts about who should act as Vegeta and Raditz??? Hugh Jackman = Vegeta (*laughing out loud*) Triple H (we) = Raditz Stone Cold Steve Austin (we)= Nappa

J-Dude View user's profile Send private message

Doomed to failure by the dunderheads who produced it, the evermore consistent fail-factory known as 20th Century Fox were always the wrong people to do this, or in fact, to do anything.

Worst than the simple, yet effective method of "throw money at it and hope for the best", Fox's methods are "Throw some money, and then mitigate the stuff out of the production team".

Fox is known to interfere with films at the most menial levels to try and make it more "socially acceptable". This is the home of Tom Rothman, the man in charge who could walk onto a set, see a prop car, and demand, thinking he's creative, that the car should be green. This is the level of micromanagement that goes on here.

They were too scared to make anything big out of it in case it wasn't as big as they thought, so the original script was hacked to death into something sorta' resembling a complete thought rather than a story anymore, and thus we get...

Goku, as a more "relatable" teenager...

Bulma as some kind of wannabe badass with a fake voice and a faker "talent" at handling firearms (or specifically, brandishing them before firing and never hitting anything in the same country as her target)...

Roshi as Chow Yun lipid with a lloyd-complex...

And Yamucha as more of an leaping lizard than the original Yamucha, with an actor with an eighth of the talent.

Really I don't blame the cast for all this, they just do what they're asked to do. And I really have to have respect for James Marsters, who's been a fan, risked his job to make sure Piccolo stayed green and old, and delivered by far the best performance of the film, enough to give Piccolo enough presence to not make him seem as laughable as his black Tim-Burton-why armor plating makes him seem.

As to the others, I don't dislike Chatwin, but I don't think he belongs in the Dragonball Universe unless playing adult Gohan, and I'd prefer a Dragonball film series ended with Frieza. Rossum as Bulma, I honestly think she could have pulled her off if not forced to play a character more like Launch with a college degree than can be called "Bulma" with a straight face. Joon Park needs to find a crevasse and dive into it, because I never want to hear his acting again.

But aside from the paint-by-numbers story and the painfully small budget for sets, there were actually things I liked about the film.

First and foremost, Brian Tyler's score. Nothing revolutionary, but it was taken seriously by him, and his percussive orchestral melodies carried the film on it's back. It gave scenes more of a boost than they deserved, and WOULD HAVE made the Kamehameha scene borderline epic had the leaping lizards in charge not turned the Kamehameha into some kind of grappling hook beam which defies every nuance of physics and throws Chatwin at Marsters, which feels as wrong as seeing a cannon fire and watching the gun throw itself forward instead of back.

Second, the effects direction. I admit, I like the visual style given to the more Dragonball-esque effects. The Ki in the film looked like Ki ought to, as a potent, fluid life force and not as a laser beam. The only problem was they didn't give it enough visual kick to seem convincingly explosive or damaging.

I actually have to say that I think the effects in Dragonball Evolution were a bit superior to the trash seen in the later-released "Wolverine", which in an inspiring bit of undeserved corporate idiocy, was treated as a criminally small movie to have such an iconic character played by such an A-list actor, with special effects which I could see through like Casper. And this was while thinking that they couldn't POSSIBLY step back further from X3.

I've come to learn that since Titanic, including the Star Wars prequels, that Fox has gotten worse and worse as a film studio and really needs to be put down.

Don't get your hopes up for James Cameron's "Avatar" folks. Fox is trying to use Cameron as their trump card to remake the success of Titanic, and it's still going to fail hard. Avatar, based on everything it's shown us about it's plot, is just going to be a mixture of "Pocahontas", meets "Ferngully", in SPACE... This will be no "revolution in film-making", it will take storytelling nowhere new, do NOT believe this hype. If Cameron could rule off his own film any more than he already has, he'd be serious competition for Marilyn Manson and his Biblical lack of ribs.

So yeah, we can all hope for a reboot, but my hope is for Fox to get absorbed by a better company and have it's rights and assets cannibalized, so maybe Dragonball will get a second shot. This is all best-vase scenario stuff though.

Either way, I don't think we'll see Hollywood take anime and anime-style things seriously until "The Last Airbender" releases next Summer and finally dispels the myth that Hollywood will kill any beloved series they touch, a point of view that to my understanding, is reasoned almost entirely on Dragonball Evolution essentially being the lone bastardized ambassador for the anime world to the mainstream American consumer. In other words, few animes, if any, have been done as Dragonball was intended to be done, so Dragon Ball has been this huge guinea pig to test the anime/live action illegitimate child son, and it failed, miserably, embarrassingly, putting doubt on anything that might indeed succeed where Dragonball Evolution failed.

TLA has a big gap to bridge, but I'll stop at that, because this is getting really long.

In the meantime, I myself have big plans on a Dragonball fanfilm which I hope to blow Dragonball Evolution, and the best Dragon Ball Z fanfilms out of the water with.

ESFER25 View user's profile Send private message

I don't will watch it because its disgusting, Goku, has 18 years old, and is a student, in the original anime, Goku was a BOY educated in the MOUNTAIN, Goku had a tail too Rolling Eyes, Bulma hasn't blue hair, I understand, in the movie Martians are flying in the sky with their spaceship, but, HEY!, no use a blue hair, this movie is realistic, you know who is realistic? your F** MOT***!!!

And Krillin, how stuff Goku can become Super Saiyan if nobody kill his best friend because he doesn't exist!!!

And roshi, roshis elderly, and in the movie looks 55 years old¿? in the anime he looks 90!!!!!!

Dragon Ball the best maga of all times, ruined by 2th century fox... Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

O.o @ Post above the one above this.
I totally agree.
They ruined the feel of the anime and just killed the story as much as possible. Maybe they wanted us teenagers/adults to stop living in the past and loving Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, Dragon Ball GT? Maybe it was a conspiracy man!!!!! Nah, Jedi Knight. I hope that they make another abomination so that it will ruin 2oth Century Fox and let some other company take over and make EPIC dragonball movies or anime-based movies. That way, more fanatical enthusiastic young children/girls can rant on about how lacking the creators are. And if Akira Toriyama actually approved of such an abomination, then I am extremely surprised.
That move was on the verge of making my head crack open and all these thoughts of dislike come flowing out. I did like the fx for the ki though..... hmmmm. I still do not understand why the F*** Piccolo needed that B**** of a woman slave? I mean, he can blow up entire oceans with a single ki blast. COME ON? WHY IS SHE THERE!!???? Explain. Please. I'm lost for words. And what the heck was with Bulma and Yamucha? ARRRGHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

skatopia View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Wednesday, October 07, 2009

Dragon Ball evolution is rubbish..

dbzspriter View user's profile Send private message

skatopia is the only one who said all that in one line

Timothy View user's profile Send private message

Almost as bad as Street Fighter: Legend of Chun Li

Alex Al Knows View user's profile Send private message

Timothy wrote : Almost as bad as Street Fighter: Legend of Chun Li

Come on, that Chun Li movie can not in any possibly concievable way be any where near as bad as the *shudder* Jean-Claude Van Damme Street Figther movie. I mean, at least by the sounds of the synopsis of Legend Of Chun Li they actually tried to keep the characters and their backstories somewhere close to the games.

Bad movies are slightly more acceptable when they try to use the source material as a base rather than using it as toilet paper Smile

Reply with quote Thursday, October 08, 2009

Alex.....no my friend, I wouldn't think it would be possible for them to make a movie worse then the original street fighter, but they seemed to have pulled it off quite easily. For one...Chun-Li starts off as a perfectly Asian baby, throughout the progression of Chun-Li growing into teenage-womanhood she gets less Asian looking and ultimately ends up Kristina Kreuk. For one she's not a strong enough actress to be the lead lady, and two she's one of the less interesting characters in my book anyways.

Alex Al Knows View user's profile Send private message

Timothy wrote : Alex.....no my friend, I wouldn't think it would be possible for them to make a movie worse then the original street fighter, but they seemed to have pulled it off quite easily. For one...Chun-Li starts off as a perfectly Asian baby, throughout the progression of Chun-Li growing into teenage-womanhood she gets less Asian looking and ultimately ends up Kristina Kreuk. For one she's not a strong enough actress to be the lead lady, and two she's one of the less interesting characters in my book anyways.

Sounds just as effective a performance as which ever of the Minogue sisters played Cammy! And yeah, Chun Li is a side character at best in the whole SF universe. Why on earth didn't they just make a Ryu movie? That could've worked well, though no doubt Ryu would end up being American, or in a failed attempt to get it right, Korean Wink

Ryu would have been by far a better character to have a story about. Your right though, they probably would have made him American.

Reply with quote Friday, October 09, 2009

Ryu for the win Razz
SF: Legend Chun Li was terrible. enough said.

TheXenon View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Thursday, October 22, 2009

Edit:

They should have kept it animated... the actors were bad storyline was inaccurate and Goku.. was white what the heck!?

madman122 View user's profile Send private message

what they should do is if they make dragonball z movie they should do it in CGI using keanu reaves as Goku and him who played as wolverine as Vegeta

broly3110 View user's profile Send private message

madman122 wrote : what they should do is if they make dragonball z movie they should do it in CGI using keanu reaves as Goku and him who played as wolverine as Vegeta

or if they make it live action at least get someone that knows what he's doing for this movie no just some random silly goose,I hope they don't ruin the Dragon Ball Z to

^
^ *laughing out loud* I sweared something and the comment change it Sad

Reply with quote Saturday, October 24, 2009

You don't want a CG movie Dragonball. All that would be is a reliving of every Dragonball video game ever made without the interactivity. Dragonball needs to be refreshed, but the makers of "Evolution" didn't have the talent or the freedom to do that right. I fully believe a Dragonball film could be even better than it's source material without compromising the characters or the essentials of the storyline.

But unless you're a big director like James Cameron, who can't be replaced or threatened or bullied into making changes demanded by the bean counters, 20th Century Fox is going to mitigate everything to the last detail. It simply cannot be done with Fox in the way, and anime will always be seen as 2nd class material to Hollywood, even though in Japan these franchises might be as big as any Marvel or DC comic series. It would only really be IN Japan that a Dragonball movie could be treated as serious business.

Zero EXE View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Wednesday, October 28, 2009

You guys you do know there was a movie that came in japan after dragonball evolution its was about Gohan and it came for the psp its really cool I saw it the effect could have been better but heh a lot better then evolutions enough said.

Reply with quote Thursday, October 29, 2009

Zero EXE wrote : You guys you do know there was a movie that came in japan after dragonball evolution its was about Gohan and it came for the psp its really cool I saw it the effect could have been better but hehe a lot better then evolutions enough said.

Dear lloyd man, there's something called a "period", they've been all the rage since after the Black Plague, you might want to use one some time.

So what you're saying, is there was a video/movie about Gohan, made in Japanese, for the PSP? Could you elucidate a little? A link? A title? Was it animated, live action, claymation, what?

Live action only saw one scene in youtube here it is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVeQS_Qhv_8

Edit:my mistake its french but heck its still pretty good.

TRL View user's profile Send private message

That's fan made, so I don't see the relevance...

Reply with quote Tuesday, November 03, 2009

Its still better then the entire movie :p.

Kyle_Katarn View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Friday, November 06, 2009

Zero EXE wrote : Its still better then the entire movie :p.

This I can agree with. I mean seriously, when in right royal heck was Kamehameha used as a healing move? Next I'll be scrubbing my bathroom with a Special Beam Cannon.

Konan View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Friday, December 11, 2009

Can we made a better movie with Fraps + ZEQ2! Razz

1, 2  >>

Actions

Online [ 0 / 6125]