Content

<<  1, 2, 3

GLSL Support

TRL View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Tuesday, March 16, 2010

I don't think celshaded models need normal maps, or is it just for experimenting?

void View user's profile Send private message

Mainly experimenting, since maps aren't dynamically lit they're using a different algorithm for this so while I can somewhat make half-assed textures (brick walls etc) for maps and test textures on those trying to do the same on models is nearly improbable, it's not like the original model textures had a level of detail where a 2D normal map filter would do any good.

As for cel-shading on models, I actually think the effect would be pretty amazing. Not only would the shading look much smoother but creases (is that the correct word?) on clothes would get shaded as well even though they don't exist in geometry, not to mention that most post-process outlining techniques rely on normals so you'd get highlights w/o geometry involved as well.

That's the theory, which I'd like to test. Razz

Alex made a normal map based cel-shader for ut once, which already gave a pretty impressive improvement over our current cel-shading technique and I don't even think that a lot of effort went into the creation of that normal map.

If I find the screen you'll see the difference.

EDIT:
found it http://www.moddb.com/mods/naruto-ninja-densetsu/images/normal-mapcel-shading-test

TRL View user's profile Send private message

Personally I don't think the normal map version looks better. It's too correct if you know what I'm getting at.

That rim lighting and gold effect does look a lot better with it though.

void View user's profile Send private message

Heh, well it all depends on how and for what you use it. Smile

I don't really like the way the face looks in the screenshot either, the headband on the other hand looks pretty cool with the normal map cel-shading and I'm not even sure but I don't think the model was really made for the technique, but is more like a quick test with what UE3's tools can auto-generate. I expect the effect to work really well for detailed clothes like Goku's Gi or also a Saiyan armor with that fine "ribbed yellowish" area and maybe muscles, a smooth face without any wrinkles like in the example is kind of the worst thing you can throw at it anyway. Razz

And in the end, I only want to see if all the new pre-calculated data like tangents and binormals are working correctly on animated objects. Razz

<<  1, 2, 3

Actions

Online [ 0 / 6125]