Content

1, 2, 3, 4, 5  >>

Map competition

Baldwin Lost Soul View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Friday, June 11, 2010

Niels and I decided to have a little map competition, we would want the people to be the judge. The map we have decided to make is the Buu saga desert map.

So its Niels Vs Baldwin and Resengan.

Niels its still not TO late

nielsmillikan View user's profile Send private message

that's right. A competition! Cool

You both better start working 24/7 if you wish to beat me Razz

Mjuksel Your Past View user's profile Send private message

uhm, maybe you should give us more info..

a competition has a time-span and it has some guidelines Razz

??

Time span for map making? Bad idea Razz.

Instead we'll be posting screenshots. And you people can award points out of ten Smile

Also others can join in as well, whenever they like. They can either pair up with either of the teams or create their own team. Of course to join you need a team you need the existing members permission.

Mjuksel wrote : uhm, maybe you should give us more info..

a competition has a time-span and it has some guidelines Razz

??

Yes of course Razz

Rules/ and guidlines!!! : p

1-size of map (BSP SIZE)
2-shader structure
3-3D skyboxes(Optional)
4-texture quality/texture size
5-
6-
7-
8-
9-
10-

Brad feel free to edit my post and add more.

Map must contain all the guildlines : p

hp321helder View user's profile Send private message

Hmmm.. that looks like an interesting idea. I'm going to have to stick at this topic. Smile

najeeb My Sir View user's profile Send private message

Me and Mjuksel have offically registered in the compition .

Baldwin , rasengan , niels BEGONE!
*intense laughter* MUAHAHAHA

LORD MJ View user's profile Send private message

hp321helder wrote : Hmmm.. that looks like an interesting idea. I'm going to have to stick at this topic. Smile

I agree, can't wait to see what will come out off all this.

void View user's profile Send private message

Baldwin wrote : Rules/ and guidlines!!! : p

1-size of map (BSP SIZE)
2-shader structure
3-3D skyboxes(Optional)
5-
6-
7-
8-
9-
10-

Why impose any additional restrictions on top of those built into ZEQ2 Lite anyway? That just limits mappers in creativity and leads to maps that are potentially worse than they could've been.

A deadline of about x weeks should be all that is required aside from that it needs to work in Public Beta 1 of course.

I think Baldwin was just joking. Apart from that I think a deadline of certain number of weeks should be good or else this would never end.

I'll discuss this with Baldwin and post the related info here as soon as possible.

void wrote :

Baldwin wrote : Rules/ and guidlines!!! : p

1-size of map (BSP SIZE)
2-shader structure
3-3D skyboxes(Optional)
5-
6-
7-
8-
9-
10-

Why impose any additional restrictions on top of those built into ZEQ2 Lite anyway? That just limits mappers in creativity and leads to maps that are potentially worse than they could've been.

A deadline of about x weeks should be all that is required aside from that it needs to work in Public Beta 1 of course.

I put up those guidless for a reason, If they decide that they are going to work for ZEQ2 they need to master it NOW, or else they'll have a HORRIBLE NIGHTMARE doing so later, but guys you DON"T HAVE to listen to me do what ever you want.

UPDATE :

The deadline has been decided and set to 5 weeks. Anyone can join whenever they like, even at the results day and post their work for judgement.

Edit

You are free to use whatever resources you like. Do mention their names so as to give them credit for it though.

Guys I am not in the competition anymore, I'll just be one of the judges. :d

Did the teambuild texture rule scare you? Razz

Shane View user's profile Send private message

nielsmillikan wrote : Did the teambuild texture rule scare you? Razz

It sure did.

Shenku RiO Incarnate View user's profile Send private message

Sounds interesting, but what do the winners get?(Aside from a super awesome finished map that people will drool over... Razz)

Well, niels told me that you'll just be the better mapper.

me and mju are still in *intense laughter* begone niels

Change of plans, I am STILL in.

well you also begone *intense laughter*

Updates Razz Here is my map for the competion reason why I took so long to upload is because I was waiting for someone Razz enjoy this is just a little something something I think ill chnage it and start over

Map overview-
700kb (bsp size)
Polys-147
shader structure- perfect

Zeth The Admin View user's profile Send private message

What restrictions already exist in the ZEQ2-lite environment anyhow? Baldwin's right in having guidelines as he does. Having a map that's 25MB in size, uses 2048x2048 textures, and has shaders/paths plastered all over the place is just going to result in something that performs horribly on most systems, lacks any sort of optimization/efficiency, and is a mess to work with and manage.

There are good reasons why we completely revised/condensed the standard Quake 3 folder structures in a way that gives more semantic purpose by grouping categorically similar file types.

void View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Saturday, June 12, 2010

The size of textures, the number of textures, the vert/polycount per surface, the number of surfaces, the size and number of lightmaps, the size of the map (in terms of game units), that's all hardcoded into not only ZEQ2 Lite (or even OpenGL) but also q3map2 and those are just A FEW examples (actually there's nothing that is NOT limited cause that's just how Quake 3's memory allocation works).

Also, a good map will always have a bigger filesize than a bad map, as such your bringing up of 25 mb in reference to performance is illogical. All ZEQ2 Lite maps completely ignore PVS which saves tons of space, yet kills any performance optimizations put in place by Quake 3 so why penalize someone who's optimizing his map?

There's nothing wrong with 2048x2048 textures either, in fact using a 2048x2048 custom lightmap can greatly increase the visual quality of a map and may even be necessary due to restrictions in lightmap packing, yet hardly has any effect on performance.

Try Pyramid of the Magician, probably the most visually stunning Quake 3 map ever made http://www.simonoc.com/files/maps/Quake 3/pom.zip it's pk3 is already 22mb, unpacked it should easily hit your 25 mb example.

For an optimized map like that the limits you mention all don't matter, because PVS will take care of only rendering what's in the scene.

Load it up with "/devmap pom" then activate "r_showtris 1" and run around a bit, then deactivate r_showtris and run around with "r_speeds 1". You'll see that the map always jumps in the region of 15k to 30k polygons, yet the total polycount is probably closer to 200k.

As for your directory structure: You should realize that usage of the "texture/" directory is necessary to work inside radiant and q3map2.

Not that Simon would join the competition, but he'd surpass anything that'll be made easily in terms of both quality and performance, yet by your rules wouldn't even be allowed to.

;manno fair , using tb"s texutre is unfair , mju and I don't have tb textures , alothh its easy to make , but I need a tb grass refrence to make a replica of it , so its unfair to use things that you ddont make , from textures to map you need to create it you're self Evil or Very Mad

Mjuksel Your Past View user's profile Send private message

first post for me and najeeb, here is a little start of what I made with najeebs layout Smile

1, 2, 3, 4, 5  >>

Actions

Online [ 0 / 6125]