Content

1, 2, 3  >>

[Radiant] Mapping

Baldwin Lost Soul View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Hey guys I am making a hand full of tutorial's. To help the community growth.

How to create a hill- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLzUdoz3KGY Level-Begginers

How to texture an object- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuBpqTxoKL0 Level-Begginers

Smoothing objects without losing the poly count- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1TiN3CwUfs Level-Begginers

Scripting- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9x_iL-NGPH0 Level-Intermediate

Scripting/Keyword's- Coming soon

Exporting- Coming soon

How to make a 3DSkyBox- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ydBf2uqCd0 Level-Expert

najeeb My Sir View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Wednesday, October 13, 2010

keep it up! I'm waiting for the scripting one

Laguna|DaGGeR View user's profile Send private message

I'm waiting for getting clouds and shadows on the map Very Happy

yough I would not tell them to delete vertices from the midlle of the plain and only leaving the over ones because this will cause them trouble when tey want to make a single multistoryed hill , because ten cut tool will come in and beginers will mess up , so leave the vertices inbetween alone guys , no need to remove them , but if you want to model the other story of the hill as a different model , then its you're choice

guys try it out please, here is what you guys can do in some time if you're new , seriously it's not hard , here is a simple model sample , following baldwins hill modeling method so give it a shot guys Very Happy

Zielan KoRnified View user's profile Send private message

There you go you dutch basterd!

Damaera View user's profile Send private message

I highly advise not going with Baldwin's hill approach. While it may be somewhat effective, if you're looking for detail, then it's not going to work out for you.

The reason I'm saying that is because as I said above, if you're looking for quality and detail, his technique isn't going to work due to the lack of polygons for the ground that you'd need to add detail to.

The technique I recommend to the community is; create a decently high poly plane (I used 170 width/length segments for the map in the screenshot I'm about to post), convert to editable poly, select a decent amount of polygons and select the basic shape for your cliff, extrude up, hide everything but the extruded cliff, and then smoothen out the edges. Afterwards, use the swiftloop tool and click the side of the cliff so you can get multiple loops for details on the side. Once you do that, start scaling and get a basic shape.

Once you have the shape of the cliff walls, you can add detail to the ground. I recommend either using the shift tool, or the soft select to add detail to the ground. It doesn't matter which tool you use, you can even use both like I do. You can also use the same technique to the cliff walls to add variety and make it more unique and natural.

For the leaping lizards (Also known as 90% of the community), I even made it easier to notice by shading the the polygons I selected, extruded, and smoothened out.

Please note that I actually did not add any detail to the object you're looking at in the screenshot above. I just simply grabbed it from an older revision of a map I'm working on and shaded the ground gray, simply to show an example of what I was talking about earlier.

Well then YOU should make a tutorial then? If you're not going to do anything then $dance with me. Your hill approach is definitely a fail, way too high poly which will KILL the performance.

Baldwin wrote : Well then YOU should make a tutorial then? If you're not going to do anything then $dance with me. Your hill approach is definitely a fail, way too high poly which will KILL the performance.

Are you mad because I just reigned on your parade by suggesting a different approach? Man, you sure are a team player, I'm glad Brad lets such people who work great others and have positive attitudes work on this mod!

Damaera wrote :

Baldwin wrote : Well then YOU should make a tutorial then? If you're not going to do anything then $dance with me. Your hill approach is definitely a fail, way too high poly which will KILL the performance.

Are you mad because I just reigned on your parade by suggesting a different approach? Man, you sure are a team player, I'm glad Brad lets such people who work great others and have positive attitudes work on this mod!

Hey. If Brad had ask you to make a tutorial, then you should right? But he didn't so don't come around here defeating the purpose of my tutorial's.

Baldwin wrote :

Damaera wrote :

Hey. If Brad had ask you to make a tutorial, then you should right? But he didn't so don't come around here defeating the purpose of my tutorial's.

Who said I was defeating the purpose of your tutorials? I was just simply giving a more effective method of mapping in terms of quality. Cool your jets, Ego-Brad Jr. I'm not here to steal your spotlight.

Cool your jets, Ego-Brad Jr. I'm not here to steal your spotlight.

Wow an ego? Seriously? *laughing out loud*. Say spotlight, WA WA WA smt you way bui yyc

Baldwin wrote :

Cool your jets, Ego-Brad Jr. I'm not here to steal your spotlight.

Wow an ego? Seriously? *laughing out loud*. Say spotlight, WA WA WA smt you way bui yyc

Resulting to insults (or whatever you just said) in a different language makes you very mature, Baldwin. I'm glad that despite your large ego, you don't care about being extremely immature in public places.

Acaryus Cutting-Edge View user's profile Send private message

Not bad tutorial.

RoganX Classy View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Thursday, October 14, 2010

Zielan wrote : There you go you dutch basterd!

Please don't involve the Dutch in this! *intense laughter*

Baldwin , the thing that damaera is saying is not wrong , but you're right on you're point , also the fans do not need so much detail and they can't add it any ways at this level , I personally use the same way damaera uses , but Baldwin one is a bit basic for beginers , so you both are right on you're places

Buksna Blaizing View user's profile Send private message

Just calm down guys

Both ways are correct and really helpful

One thing though Baldwin (not really important) - using that tool is just not necessary because it just slows you down - everything you have on that tool can be used with keyboard and mouse (zooming, moving....)

Thanks to both of you Baldwin and Damaera Wink

yeah said that in the irc , manual is faster

Who said I was defeating the purpose of your tutorials?

This line.

I highly advise not going with Baldwin's hill approach.

stop it already you 2 , this is for people who want to learn how to map , not how to argue :p

also dudes , remember , the hill has not to be smooth flat from the sides , it hhas to be rocky like this , I know the textures can cover it up , but to a certian limit , do make it a bid rugged like this , her eis a quick sample I made , well okay *laughing out loud* its a map wip *intense laughter*

Baldwin wrote :

Who said I was defeating the purpose of your tutorials?

This line.

I highly advise not going with Baldwin's hill approach.

You posted multiple videos, as far as I know, I only responded to one. As in, tutorial. Singular, not plural.

Also:

najeeb> Damaera the way you model hills is more efective
<najeeb> tough I do not follow Baldwin one , his one is a bit time consuming and not so efficient
<najeeb> hello Damaera how are you today
* najeeb has quit (Ping timeout: 265 seconds)

umadtantantan?

TheXenon View user's profile Send private message

*Eats popcorn*

Acaryus Cutting-Edge View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Friday, October 15, 2010

image deleted

Reply with quote Friday, October 15, 2010

enough argument already ? Baldwin one is absolutely fine for beginers , also acyrus , that's not a Dragon Ball Z hill Razz its a bit weird from its top where the grass is

1, 2, 3  >>

Actions

Online [ 0 / 6125]