Content

File System of the mod

xbamaris View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Thursday, December 02, 2010

Hello. I'm sort of new to this mod, but not new to the Quake 3 engine.

I have a suggestion/question.

Is it possible to change the file system in the next release to use PK3 files? It makes things much simpler when adding addons as well as other files.

Not sure if this was already brought up, or if it differs from other Quake 3 engine games.

Laguna|DaGGeR View user's profile Send private message

xbamaris wrote : Hello. I'm sort of new to this mod, but not new to the Quake 3 engine.

I have a suggestion/question.

Is it possible to change the file system in the next release to use PK3 files? It makes things much simpler when adding addons as well as other files.

Not sure if this was already brought up, or if it differs from other Quake 3 engine games.

its already supporting PK3 files^^

xbamaris View user's profile Send private message

It just doesn't seem to be organized that way. at least with the one I downloaded.

Laguna|DaGGeR View user's profile Send private message

xbamaris wrote : It just doesn't seem to be organized that way. at least with the one I downloaded.

put the PK3 file in zeq2Contents and open then the game if its a map look if you can select the map in selection screen if not open console and type /map and the PK3 files name

Zeth The Admin View user's profile Send private message

There's actually been some pretty verbose debates with choosing to use (or not use) PK3 files. The folder structures are primarily kept because it's MUCH easier to modify files on the fly rather than doing so from an archive. Not only this, but version control management of PK3 files would be cumbersome and difficult.

Since ZEQ2-lite initially intended to use Subversion as it's primary means of distribution and updates, zipping the files up into a PK3 didn't seem nearly as effective due to the aforementioned shortcomings.

If the project (at this stage) was a standard Quake 3 mod where the overall goal was playing it as a "game", I'd understand and respect your request; however, the overall ambition of the first release was to expose the many custom configuration files (phys, psys, grfx, tier, etc.) so that users can dabble and develop their own creations more easily without having to continually pack, repack, and destroy PK3 version compatibility at a rapid rate.

If you care to offer your own solutions and practical side of things, consideration will be taken to altering this in a future release.

najeeb My Sir View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Friday, December 03, 2010

aaa... no current system is okay , pk3 is a bit to messy

Forza Gerlacious View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Tuesday, December 07, 2010

Once everything is in a final state, I guess it's not a bad idea to turn everything into pk3's. As of yet it doesn't make much sense.

Actions

Online [ 0 / 6125]