Content

1, 2, 3  >>

[Photoshop] Texturing

TRL View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Tuesday, April 19, 2011

I'm not satisfied with the amount of people who are taking to learning decent texturing.

So if you're interested this might be a good thing to get you started. It explains which tools I use and what for. It's an unique look into how I go to work.

I intend to at one point get a step by step one in here too.

Show me what you guys can do with this!
A good ref is what seperates the good from the bad.

Also tell me, if you need some more clarification at a certain part.

Konan View user's profile Send private message

Its funny, because they look at the texture..but for that you need a legal copy.

suckapunch View user's profile Send private message

TRL wrote : I'm not satisfied with the amount of people who are taking to learning decent texturing.

So if you're interested this might be a good thing to get you started. It explains which tools I use and what for. It's an unique look into how I go to work.

I intend to at one point get a step by step one in here too.

Show me what you guys can do with this!
A good ref is what seperates the good from the bad.

Also tell me, if you need some more clarification at a certain part.

it's not as easy as you put it in the picture

Konan wrote : Its funny, because they look at the texture..but for that you need a legal copy.

I'm pretty sure you don't... you're pretty much saiying that you need a legal copy to watch the anime

You can do all this with Gimp as well. Just try it. Get a screenshot of the anime and try to copy it as good as you can. I'm trying to give you guys a head start for anyone who wants to learn. The more you do it, obviously the better you get at it.

suckapunch wrote :

Konan wrote : Its funny, because they look at the texture..but for that you need a legal copy.

I'm pretty sure you don't... you're pretty much saiying that you need a legal copy to watch the anime

First thing first, please don't double post like sarge55, use edit function..

And than, for good quality you need:
-Blu-ray or HD version of Dragon Ball Z(legal copy), if you don't have than don't show what you made..
-Photoshop or GIMP and some skill

Konan wrote :

suckapunch wrote :

-Blu-ray or HD version of Dragon Ball Z(legal copy), if you don't have than don't show what you made..

what the heck? that has nothing to do with the thing about the legal copy...

Note: by the way that couldve been a double post... but that's not a double post in my book

suckapunch wrote :

Konan wrote :

suckapunch wrote :

what the heck? that has nothing to do with the thing about the legal copy...

Note: by the way that couldve been a double post... but that's not a double post in my book

If you don't have legal HD copy, than how you do it? The HIGH QUALITY? Copy from crappy quality online stream version?

Your book was a fail.

YES ITS MY BOOK NOT YOURS! DO YOU THINK PEOPLE WATCH THE ANIME AS they're ARE MAKING TEXTURES? SO ALL THEY NEED IS A PICTURE NOT A WHOLE FUUUUCCCCKKKKIIINNNGGG EPISODE!...

.... teehee

Mima The Disciple View user's profile Send private message

DO YOU THINK PEOPLE WATCH THE ANIME AS they're ARE MAKING TEXTURES? SO ALL THEY NEED IS A PICTURE NOT A WHOLE FUUUUCCCCKKKKIIINNNGGG EPISODE!...

Actually, reference gathering is not an easy job. And yeah, people DO watch the episodes again to get their references. At least that's what the better artists do. I gathered over 6000 pictures, and still that's not much. Of course, you can take a picture from the internet, but that is bad for 2 reasons:
1) It can be edited.
2) It's rare to find the exact picture you need on the internet.
So yeah, in my opinion, artists should stick to the refs from the anime it self.

suckapunch 0wned by Mima and Konan. Very Happy

Mima wrote :

DO YOU THINK PEOPLE WATCH THE ANIME AS they're ARE MAKING TEXTURES? SO ALL THEY NEED IS A PICTURE NOT A WHOLE FUUUUCCCCKKKKIIINNNGGG EPISODE!...

Actually, reference gathering is not an easy job. And yeah, people DO watch the episodes again to get their references. At least that's what the better artists do. I gathered over 6000 pictures, and still that's not much. Of course, you can take a picture from the internet, but that is bad for 2 reasons:
1) It can be edited.
So yeah, in my opinion, artists should stick to the refs from the anime it self.

yeah but they don't watch the anime as they are doing it... tehy probably get a BOX and as they're watching it they pause it and look a the texture... you don't NEED to look at the anime... that was only meant for this thread because TRL is challenging people to make textures... so you an find any texture on the internet and use that... if it was going to be used for a real video game not just for trying it than of course you would need to use the Anime as a reference

Konan wrote : suckapunch 0wned by Mima and Konan. Very Happy

Actually, nobody is owning anyone Wink I've just explained what is the best.

yeah but they don't watch the anime as they are doing it... tehy probably get a BOX and as they're watching it they pause it and look a the texture... you don't NEED to look at the anime... that was only meant for this thread because TRL is challenging people to make textures... so you an find any texture on the internet and use that... if it was going to be used for a real video game not just for trying it than of course you would need to use the Anime as a reference

One tip. Now that you people have SVN access, you can always find some cool references in Media\References.

Mima wrote :

1) It can be edited.

True that.

So I want to see people's takes on this. Baldwin, Zielan you too.

In fact Mima maybe you could upload some of refs of your vast library. So people have something to start with. It can be a rock, cliff, some grass.

TRL wrote : True that.

In fact Mima maybe you could upload some of refs of your vast library. So people have something to start with. It can be a rock, cliff, some grass.

Yeah, no problem. Smile
I'll upload some references for you guys in 1-2 hours. They will contain only basic stuff: rocks, grass, cliffs, mountain edges, dirt, etc...

Added the first batch of references. A variety of pictures for you guys to texture Smile
So start texturing, good luck learning, and let's see some great results. Smile

Surge View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Wednesday, April 20, 2011

thanks for the tutorial TRL

Zeth The Admin View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Thursday, April 21, 2011

Great tool overview primer/starter, but I hardly would call it a tutorial just yet. It does explain (in a vague way) what tools you use when designing a texture as well as some of your practices, but most people (at least myself) usually struggle with the actual drawing of the mouse and shaping out the details with proper strokes.

Perhaps you should do a simple livestream/fraps/video of yourself drawing a texture from scratch and then link people to that? It would be a heck of a lot easier than planning/managing an actual tutorial and immensely more explanatory.

Raging-Blast View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Thursday, April 21, 2011

Mima wrote :

TRL wrote : True that.

Yeah, no problem. Smile
I'll upload some references for you guys in 1-2 hours. They will contain only basic stuff: rocks, grass, cliffs, mountain edges, dirt, etc...

Thanks a lot mima! I'm going to try to make some textures now..

Shenku RiO Incarnate View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Friday, April 22, 2011

Mima wrote :

1) It can be edited.

You forgot number 3) It can be very convincing, but highly inaccurate, fanart.

Reply with quote Friday, April 22, 2011

Shenku wrote : You forgot number 3) It can be very convincing, but highly inaccurate, fanart.

Yeah, another reason why refs taken from anime directly are better. Smile

najeeb My Sir View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Saturday, April 23, 2011

the anime its self is also in variations , one version"S colours are too contrasted other oversion"S colours are light

Mjuksel Your Past View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Saturday, April 23, 2011

I'm going to try this stuff out dude Smile

ill fire up Photoshop when I'm home again Smile

Acaryus Cutting-Edge View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Friday, April 29, 2011

I would like to try this too : )

Reply with quote Friday, April 29, 2011

There are several that said they were going to try it, but I haven't seen any results yet.
Come on guys don't be shy!

1, 2, 3  >>

Actions

Online [ 0 / 6125]