Content

<<  1, 2, 3  >>

[Photoshop] Texturing

Wolverine View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Thursday, January 12, 2012

I don't know if I'm posting this in wrong forum .
But this is my first texture ever,I saw some tutorials. I used lighting effects as well. it is supposed to look like a rock.here goes.

edit:@trl I will be glad if you could teach me

Zeth The Admin View user's profile Send private message

Judging by your layers, that's just a very mild texture overlay edit rather than a complete from scratch creation.

Nope. I did that from scratch. Trust me. Sorry but It really hurts me when you say that it was an edit. If you want I'll post a new texture.

here's a new one. I know its uninformed participator work. but it was original

TRL View user's profile Send private message

Try my team viewer video tutorial in my model tutorial thread. (the name of the thread should be renamed to moeling, uvwing, texturing in fact) It explains how I do my textures.

najeeb My Sir View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Friday, January 13, 2012

Zeth wrote : Judging by your layers, that's just a very mild texture overlay edit rather than a complete from scratch creation.

no he created it , I saw a tutorial for this once too

Reply with quote Friday, January 13, 2012

@Brad ah. Now I understand why you thought my texture was an edit. You saw the layers panel and the background copy and assumed it was the original and I duplicated the texture and edited it. Actually what I did was I duplicated my texture before adding noise and lighting and see how it would look by mixing those two layers and the channel. I don't know the right technical term here so I use mix.
@trl saw the tutorials and can I post my version of already existing terrain textures in this thread. Can you comment on the textures and give me inputs on where the texture went wrong and how must I improve, if you have time?

Anoxable View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Sunday, January 22, 2012

So where are the textures Wolverine?

Epic wrote : So where are the textures Wolverine?

I haven't uploaded them yet.They are ,like I said, new but like the already existing textures.So that means I can post them here?

EDIT:

Epic wrote :
Post them,but it would be good if you try to make textures that are close to anime,*for example find some picture of rocks or grass from the anime,then try to draw the texture that will be as much posible like the picture you use.

okay , I'll post it very soon.I already made three textures but they were not exactly from the anime

Wolverine wrote :

Epic wrote : So where are the textures Wolverine?

they are ,like I said, new but like the already existing textures.so that's mean I can post them here?

Post them,but it would be good if you try to make textures that are close to anime,*for example find some picture of rocks or grass etc... from the anime,then try to draw the texture that will be as much posible like the picture you use.

Reply with quote Monday, January 23, 2012

here: did it in about two minutes Smile I think the colour is a bit too dark

mcgrass Beta Trapezoid View user's profile Send private message

Here's my version of this grass

man yours is better than mine.

mcgrass Beta Trapezoid View user's profile Send private message

Wolverine wrote : man yours is better than mine.

That's only the base layer... Brad is going to kill for making Him wait so long *intense laughter* Maybe I'll do the rest today ^^

Wolverine,you can't do textures in two minutes :p.Try looking at TRL's texturing tutorial.

Wolverine,you can't do textures in two minutes :p.Try looking at TRL's texturing tutorial.

You can. Filters (procedural processes) are NOT bad things by any means. They are often just misused/overused. However, just because someone uses a tool incorrectly majority of the time doesn't mean the tool itself is to blame.

This is one area where TRL and I disagree strongly. He believes that all art/texture work has to be manually hand-drawn in multiple strokes/layers with a conventional and traditional approach. I believe that any approach an artist can do can be replicated through procedure by other design schemes. Regardless of the actual end-results produced, if it can be written as steps and explained to someone, it can be produced by a computer via code.

Reply with quote Tuesday, January 24, 2012

I know,but still you can't acomplish that in two minutes(expect if you are expert,which he isn't),so for beginning I think that he should stick to drawing textures,since he is not so familiar to Photoshop.When he becomes familiar with layers,and usage of filters,then he can move next level.
Wolverine try adding some dark patches to the grass,also
remember to use color from the ref,don't try to to find exact same color shade manually.you have all that explained in TRL's tutorial,so I suggest you that you look at it.

okay okay. I saw the first one only.I'll see the entire tutorials. And you mean I have to draw the entire textures by brush manually? I only used the brush for minor things in my three textures here. And filter is not that hard to use.

A texture of grass with only brush coming very soon.Smile

Linkxp500 View user's profile Send private message

Wolverine wrote : okay okay. I saw the first one only.I'll see the entire tutorials. And you mean I have to draw the entire textures by brush manually? I only used the brush for minor things in my three textures here. And filter is not that hard to use.

Can't wait to see what you come up with. Smile

I haven't tried yet, but TRL's tutorials are definitely easy to follow. Not sure if I could do well, but I'll never know till I give it a shot. I think I might try to take a wack at it sometime in the future.

Wolverine wrote : okay okay. I saw the first one only.I'll see the entire tutorials. And you mean I have to draw the entire textures by brush manually? I only used the brush for minor things in my three textures here. And filter is not that hard to use.

Well as for the tutorials there is only one from TRL(which have kind of bad quality)but internet is full of them.Yep try to create texture with brushes,wanna see how skilled you are :p,of course you don't need to use only brushes if you don't want to,but its nice training if you haven't done any brush work,and will help you later on.What I mean when I sad that filters are not easy is that it is hard for beginner to create full texture by using only filters(with litlle brush stroks),of course filter itself is easy to use,like everything else but it's the good result what is hard to acomplish.

Linkxp500 wrote : I haven't tried yet, but TRL's tutorials are definitely easy to follow. Not sure if I could do well, but I'll never know till I give it a shot. I think I might try to take a wack at it sometime in the future.

Yeah link watch them,like you said they are easy to follow and are great tutorials despite the poor quality.'Course you should try it,I think you can do well Smile.

Zeth wrote : This is one area where TRL and I disagree strongly. He believes that all art/texture work has to be manually hand-drawn in multiple strokes/layers with a conventional and traditional approach. I believe that any approach an artist can do can be replicated through procedure by other design schemes. Regardless of the actual end-results produced, if it can be written as steps and explained to someone, it can be produced by a computer via code.

Well you are kind of both right :p.I think that in this case where we aim for anime quality textures should be most had-drawn because you can acomplish better similarity with the anime style,(but if we talk about art in general than TRL's argument is invalid,art is wide term so every technique is valid),on the other hand Filters (procedural processes) are not bad thing like you said,and can even make job easier,and give better look.But in this case like I said it is more likely that texture should be had-drawn and with litlle filter work here and there.So none of you are wrong.

Linkxp500 View user's profile Send private message

Well, I would disagree about the hand-drawn method being easier to replicate the anime art, since everyone's drawing style is never the same.

Linkxp500 wrote : Well, I would disagree about the hand-drawn method being easier to replicate the anime art, since everyone's drawing style is never the same.

I agree with you that everyone have their style and way of drawing,but with enough skill and work you can replicate the image almost exactly the same,which is in this case easier.Making texture using only filter technique is better for making your own texture that shouldn't be a copy of some image. edit:anyway we discussed on IRC.

I know,but still you can't acomplish that in two minutes(expect if you are expert,which he isn't),so for beginning I think that he should stick to drawing textures,since he is not so familiar to Photoshop.When he becomes familiar with layers,and usage of filters,then he can move next level.

It's not a "next-level" process. I can produce textures like the ones I posted, but I can, by no means, do textures in TRL's layered brush/drawn approach. Not even a little bit. What I'm suggesting is an alternative approach for those that are technically minded and who can understand the design behind the process rather than those with a steady hand.

I'm not saying that an understanding of color compliments, shading/lighting, contrast and other fundamental aspects are not needed; they are, in fact. I'm simply saying that there's more than one way to reach the same end-result.

What I mean when I sad that filters are not easy is that it is hard for beginner to create full texture by using only filters(with litlle brush stroks),of course filter itself is easy to use,like everything else but it's the good result what is hard to acomplish.

You are thinking standard Photoshop filters. I'm talking about more complex and stacked procedural processes for image generation. Something like filterforge, mapzone, FxGen, NeoTextureEdit, and so forth.

I think that in this case where we aim for anime quality textures should be most had-drawn because you can acomplish better similarity with the anime style,(but if we talk about art in general than TRL's argument is invalid,art is wide term so every technique is valid),on the other hand Filters (procedural processes) are not bad thing like you said,and can even make job easier,and give better look.But in this case like I said it is more likely that texture should be had-drawn and with litlle filter work here and there.

It's not really a matter of right and wrong as much as a case of there being more than one possible approach to achieve the same result -- perhaps more quickly and abstractly with more [re]usable results. As I said before, if it can be produced by a human using a step by step process, then the same can be applied by a computer.

My goal here is about having people not only try to reach a result, but to document and understand the steps of the procedure on getting to that result. We're abstracting the process.

Abstraction and design understanding is everything. A picture may be worth a thousand words, but an image is worth a thousand pictures.

Reply with quote Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Hmm,I see.Altrough I think I should stick to old hand-draw style.But you should show me the other procedure.(:

Reply with quote Wednesday, January 25, 2012

here it goes. again only filter no brush.

sorry epic .I'll try do the next one with only brush. . just got home

Reply with quote Thursday, January 26, 2012

Wolverine hurry up! :p

<<  1, 2, 3  >>

Actions

Online [ 0 / 6125]