Content

Exporting Characters Tutorial

Shenku RiO Incarnate View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Monday, July 11, 2011

Scratching off the original tutorial's link since the website I was hosting it on no longer exists, and am replacing it instead with a video tutorial I just put together covering the basic steps from tag creation to character exportation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRUcRqvE9zU

This tutorial only briefly touches on the shaders and skin files, for a better understanding of those subjects, please take some time to examine Goku's skin and shader files on the SVN, one of the best ways to learn is through studying examples.

This tutorial assumes some experience with 3DS Max already, and that you already have a character modeled, rigged, textured, and animated. If you need help with any of these areas, you can check out these helpful links below for further information on those subjects:

http://www.3dtotal.com/ffa/tutorials/max/joanofarc/joanmenu.php
This is a fairly old tutorial that covers many of the basics of modeling a character from scratch, and is a great reference for how to model certain parts of a character.(Caution, some viewer discretion is advised, recommended for mature and serious modellers only)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcHeHv3i7oY
Part one of six of a good rigging tutorial that covers most of the basics of using the skin modifier to rig a model to a biped bone structure.

najeeb My Sir View user's profile Send private message

thanks that helped , especially the rigging tutorial

Mima The Disciple View user's profile Send private message

It's a sticky now. Smile Great job Shenku, maybe all of us could do a small tutorial like this. Very Happy Awesomely done.

Mima wrote : It's a sticky now. Smile Great job Shenku, maybe all of us could do a small tutorial like this. Very Happy Awesomely done.

Thanks, hopefully this should help a lot of folks who've been asking about how to do this stuff for ages...

I'll try to get some more of the sections in it updated and finished over the course of the next week or so. With any luck, I should have the full tutorial finished by the end of the month at the latest.

ssj6vegeta View user's profile Send private message

Shenku wrote :

Mima wrote : It's a sticky now. Smile Great job Shenku, maybe all of us could do a small tutorial like this. Very Happy Awesomely done.

Thanks, hopefully this should help a lot of folks who've been asking about how to do this stuff for ages...

I'll try to get some more of the sections in it updated and finished over the course of the next week or so. With any luck, I should have the full tutorial finished by the end of the month at the latest.

nice man I hope people do use this Very Happy

RealDeal View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Wednesday, December 21, 2011

the first link is broken

LegendarySS4 View user's profile Send private message

RealDeal wrote : the first link is broken

That would be because my whole website is down due to lack of funds(and has been since November)...

I have no money what so ever to get it back up, either, since I've been unemployed since May, so it's probably not going to be brought back up any time soon unless I either find a new job, get my book published and strike it rich(I've a better chance of being hit by a meteor twice in the same day and surviving...) or people start commissioning me for artwork(of which, only a single friend has done since I started offering my artistic services a few months ago...)...

NikhilR View user's profile Send private message

Shenku wrote : That would be because my whole website is down due to lack of funds(and has been since November)...

I have no money what so ever to get it back up, either, since I've been unemployed since May, so it's probably not going to be brought back up any time soon unless I either find a new job, get my book published and strike it rich(I've a better chance of being hit by a meteor twice in the same day and surviving...) or people start commissioning me for artwork(of which, only a single friend has done since I started offering my artistic services a few months ago...)...

You wrote a book? So did I (unpublished because science fiction isn't supposed to be written by Indians)
What genre is yours?

NikhilR wrote :

Shenku wrote : That would be because my whole website is down due to lack of funds(and has been since November)...

You wrote a book? So did I (unpublished because science fiction isn't supposed to be written by Indians)
What genre is yours?

Sci-Fi/Fantasy. It kind of falls into both categories I think.

My opinion, doesn't matter what others say. If you like your book, and think it could do well, screw what other people think, just go and try publishing it. You never know, it might sell decently. Don't expect a Harry Potter sized fan-base, but you never know until you try.

The only reason I haven't published mine yet, is because I gave a copy I printed up to a friend to read and give me feedback on so I can make some final edits and adjustments before I start to submit it to publishers, and she hasn't finished reading it yet(She just started reading it a few days ago, despite having had that copy for the last 2-3 months...). I was hoping to start submitting it earlier this year, and maybe get it picked up by a publisher(if I'm lucky) by sometime next year, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Heck, my website that I was hosting my character creation tutorial on was dedicated towards my book(s)...

NikhilR View user's profile Send private message

Well said, I've kept mine on ice until I get abroad where the majority of the people at least know what science fiction is.
In any case there are always other mediums of storytelling to explore
Wink

LegendarySS4 View user's profile Send private message

On-topic: Let's get back on topic

Of-topic: Well, Shenku good luck mate, and hopefully you will get your job back Smile

Zeth The Admin View user's profile Send private message

That would be because my whole website is down due to lack of funds(and has been since November)...

I can host it for you. You'll have to settle with a subdomain that I can offer or handle your own domain though.

Zeth wrote :

I can host it for you. You'll have to settle with a subdomain that I can offer or handle your own domain though.

That might work. The only reason I didn't simply post the tutorial hear was because the word filter plays heck on scripting, especially when things are case sensitive...

I guess I'll see if I can dig out my backup of the tutorial and we can discuss how to go about hosting it... I don't want to suggest you hosting my entire website, I'm debating trying to setup my own local server for that(assuming my brother is willing to help, since he already has a server running for his own site).

Reply with quote Thursday, December 22, 2011

I'm debating trying to setup my own local server for that(assuming my brother is willing to help, since he already has a server running for his own site).

Hosting on a consumer internet connection isn't going to be very practical. I don't mind providing you the hosting. I have plenty of bandwidth and space. I can set you up with a separate ftp account, database, and whatever other services you may need.

RealDeal View user's profile Send private message

I don't understand how your sites are so costly
I mean if I wanted to buy my yola domain it costs only $20 per year and it has html feature

and shenku free sub domains are available I mean it's not that bad my site is a sub domain
and its a cool site Laughing

I don't understand how your sites are so costly
I mean if I wanted to buy my yola domain it costs only $20 per year and it has html feature

and shenku free sub domains are available I mean it's not that bad my site is a sub domain
and its a cool site

No offense, but your yolasite is likely pretty backwater by comparison to a proper web development environment. From what I could tell you only have a sub-domain offshoot from theirs, probably self-provided editing tools for management, and little (if any) access to server-side programming languages or databases. You're also probably heavily limited on monthly bandwidth, versatility in services, and overall disk storage.

If you consider something like ZEQ2-lite's shared hosting packaging as being only a slice of possible features from a full virtual private server environment (which is only a slice from a full managed server), then your environment would only be a slice of what we have.

Type                      Access    Users    Cost (monthly)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dedicated Server          100%      1        $100
Virtual Private Server    10%       10       $30
Shared Server             0.5%      200      $5
Shared Single Service     0.01%     10000+   $1

That's just a rough approximation and will obviously vary between provider and hardware, but it should put into scope the differences.

Wolverine View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Saturday, December 24, 2011

NikhilR wrote : Well said, I've kept mine on ice until I get abroad where the majority of the people at least know what science fiction is.
In any case there are always other mediums of storytelling to explore
Wink

don't give up on India yet nikhil. Perhaps you could become India's next anil menon. You know about his workshop in pune a fortnight ago? I was suprised at the amount of people who came. Scifi enthus are on the rise dude.

Merry christmas

Reply with quote Saturday, February 18, 2012

Updated the first post of this thread with a link to a new tutorial video I put together tonight(the previous "written" tutorial being considered officially dead), the audio might be slightly out of sync, but you should still be able to follow along with most of what I'm doing in the video.

Note: The video is about 46 minutes long, mostly due to the fact that I was actually going through every step of the process for getting the character prepped for the game. If you're familiar with most of the steps involved, you can probably skim some parts, but I recommend that if you're new that you watch the entire video.

I hope this helps some of you folks out! Cool

Kakarot2550 View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Wednesday, January 09, 2013

SHENKU DO YOU MAYBE HAVE SOME character WHO HASN T BEEN RIGEED SO THAT I CAN PRACTICE ON HIM?

Maszek View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Thursday, January 10, 2013

Kakarot2550 wrote : SHENKU DO YOU MAYBE HAVE SOME character WHO HASN T BEEN RIGEED SO THAT I CAN PRACTICE ON HIM?

http://ZEQ2.com/SVN/Media/Characters/

This SVN folder has lots of character models, although not all of them are textured, animated or even finished. I suppose you could try the Saibaman model - That one has all it's textures in place and the model itself is finished, but not rigged.

You can practice rigging on that.

EsMortal View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Thursday, January 10, 2013

how do you add them Confused

Maszek View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Friday, January 11, 2013

EsMortal wrote : how do you add them Confused

After you're done with the rigging, you should download the default animations from HERE and import them.

When that is done as well, you should visit THIS THREAD to learn more about exporting the model in the proper format.

I hope that answers your question.

Kakarot2550 View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Friday, January 11, 2013

Thanks Maszek I will start rigging and exporting soon
well when I will not be occupied with Schoooool!!!!
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Actions

Online [ 0 / 6125]