Content

<<  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  >>

Earth Special Forces

void View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Nemix wrote : what's xreal ?

His post explained it already. A game/engine based on id Tech 3 (Quake 3) with heavy modifications putting it on the same level as Crysis, Unreal Engine 3 and between id Tech 4 (Doom 3, Quake 4) and 5 (Rage).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWkhyIeEfjY&feature=player_embedded

Grega Perpetual Traveler View user's profile Send private message

Zeth wrote :

As for why we are posting news about new features that are common in games since over 5 years ago. Its simple. Half Life can not do that. We had to make our own system coded from scratch. So we are making a news post saying "We did this on Half Life" no other reason.

I think the issue void (and some other programmers I've spoke to) have is that the Earth Special Forces posts are VERY misleading in that it gives the impression/illusion that they created these fantastic new capabilities despite them actually being SUPER dated/common technical design approaches available in engines (some, yes, for a decade -- not 5 years). Whether they existed in Half Life natively is quite irrelevant to the presentation and exposure style that's being given publicly.

Additionally, it's misguided to call it the "Half-Life" engine at this point. From what I remember at Naruto: Naiteki Kensei, the process involves using hijacked dlls/function calls to bypass the ORIGINAL Half-life rendering pipeline and replace it with more modern and direct OpenGL functionality. Granted, yes, the network code and many other aspects of goldsrc are still preserved, but the actual rendering core itself is mostly custom written.

Although most engines will pull from various sources for third-party libraries concerning physics, audio, input, etc., the rendering layer itself is typically a pivotal defining factor of what the engine's identity is about. Since this has been replaced by a new layer, you'd be better off calling it as another engine (or sub-engine).

Regardless of Half-Life's lack of engine source exposure, I think it's fair to say that Earth Special Forces's rendering redefinitions qualify it as a derivative engine and not the parent engine itself.

Take into consideration an actual similar idea. xReal. While heavily modified from Quake 3, xReal absolutely CANNOT be called the Quake 3 engine anymore. The mesh formats, mapping features, rendering features, and even the actual virtual machine code plan was completely non-standard from Quake 3's normal pipeline and capability -- much like is the case with Earth Special Forces.

If you alter something to a certain degree, regardless of qualifiers, there always comes a point where calling it by the "original" name becomes moot and a misrepresentation overall.

Well its true that we have lots of workarounds, that bypass the default engine code. Its also still true that Earth Special Forces is still a Half Life mod. It requires the Half Life 1 game to use its engine in order to run the game. As far as I know xReal does not require the original game engine. Yes Earth Special Forces is a Half Life engine hack, but it is by no means a new engine.

So my point stays. Yes the feature existed long ago in newer engines. But it does not exist in any Half Life mod. Its a new thing for Half Life and for Earth Special Forces.

This is the kind of discussion that can go on forever. Razz
In the end it's pretty subjective.

I can see where you're coming from saying that it's still only a mod because it requires the original game.

However if you look at it from another perspective, Earth Special Forces has way more changes then a quick fork of the ioquake3 code would have, yet that one would be standalone too.

Additionally you may be right about it being new and I didn't mean to start an argument about when you guys should post news or not, but that feature is just nothing worth mentioning in my opinion as it's barely noticeable unless you really focus on your character and try to provoke jerky animations.

To me that news post is pretty much on the same level as "TTF support added" or "New PNG decoder revealed". Yes, it has probably not been done before and by no means do I want to imply that it's an easy 5 minute job to implement, but as a player I don't really give a trash. Compared to your previous news posts adding monster AI or really great special effects etc. it's just boring.

void wrote : This is the kind of discussion that can go on forever. Razz
In the end it's pretty subjective.

I can see where you're coming from saying that it's still only a mod because it requires the original game.

However if you look at it from another perspective, Earth Special Forces has way more changes then a quick fork of the ioquake3 code would have, yet that one would be standalone too.

Additionally you may be right about it being new and I didn't mean to start an argument about when you guys should post news or not, but that feature is just nothing worth mentioning in my opinion as it's barely noticeable unless you really focus on your character and try to provoke jerky animations.

To me that news post is pretty much on the same level as "TTF support added" or "New PNG decoder revealed". Yes, it has probably not been done before and by no means do I want to imply that it's an easy 5 minute job to implement, but as a player I don't really give a trash. Compared to your previous news posts adding monster AI or really great special effects etc. it's just boring.

Meh its either some news or have the community puppy about lack of updates again.

Minor updates like those keep them happy and quiet. They don't really get answers such as "Only minor stuff has been added that took lots of time to implement" Heck they are whining if we miss out a POTW let alone waiting for updates.

But yes I see your point.

Djsonic View user's profile Send private message

*laughing out loud* you know what's the funniest thing. Goku farted.

RealDeal View user's profile Send private message

news flash to all you uninformed participators out there

Earth Special Forces doesn't require original hl1 I use pirated hl1
also start it with cs

SO PLEASE don't WASTE MONEY Laughing Laughing Laughing

GOOGLE IT

SG_SSJ View user's profile Send private message

RealDeal wrote : news flash to all you uninformed participators out there

also start it with cs

SO PLEASE don't WASTE MONEY :*laughing out loud*: :*laughing out loud*: :*laughing out loud*:

GOOGLE IT

Yeah go play against bots with lag and stuff...I'll wait till I get Half Life legaly.

RealDeal wrote : news flash to all you uninformed participators out there

also start it with cs

SO PLEASE don't WASTE MONEY :*laughing out loud*: :*laughing out loud*: :*laughing out loud*:

GOOGLE IT

Yeah, those $5 are really to much. Risking civil prosecution for thousands of dollars is definitely worth it and is totally fair towards the developers who worked on it for more than 2 years.

by the way smart move to confess illegal activities on a public forum. Why don't you tape car theft and upload it to youtube while you're at it?

Yeah, those $5 are really to much. Risking civil prosecution for thousands of dollars is definitely worth it and is totally fair towards the developers who worked on it for more than 2 years.

by the way smart move to confess illegal activities on a public forum. Why don't you tape car theft and upload it to youtube while you're at it?

wow I go to tell a good trick to save money and I get to see garbage okay do what the love you want

and dude 5 dollars isn't less the conversion of thst in many countries is very high

and secondly this legal stuff is only der in us,Europe and aus
this doesn't happen in those devloping countries

and at least I am open that I buy illegal stuff
not like some people who flash their fake legal stuff

Yeah go play against bots with lag and stuff...I'll wait till I get Half Life legaly.

no lag

Yes half life does have virus. Every time I played it I got a virus, after I shut the game off. Still it freeze up my computer system and it keeps on vibrating. I was trying to play Naruto: Naiteki Kensei my computer turn itself against me and the whole screen turns blue and it is scanning the virus.

I am staying away from all those errors that are trying to scan my computer.

ESFER25 View user's profile Send private message

Of course half life is a virus Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

RealDeal wrote :

no lag

Maybe we should just cut off the bots then *intense laughter*

Grega wrote :

RealDeal wrote :

no lag

No! I want bots in the game.

don't worry. That was a joke. Bots will be included.

SonGoku Super Saiyan wrote :

Grega wrote :

RealDeal wrote :

no lag

Grega no bots will be available at this moment.

VisualBlack wrote :

Grega wrote :

RealDeal wrote :

no lag

Actually the bots are working quite nicely in the inteam. ASide from the fact that they are nearly unbeatable unless you spam beams from a distance and run the moment they see you ^^

Grega wrote :

VisualBlack wrote :

Grega wrote :

RealDeal wrote :

no lag

Actually the bots are working quite nicely in the inteam. ASide from the fact that they are nearly unbeatable unless you spam beams from a distance and run the moment they see you ^^

That's the insane dificult right?

Grega wrote :

VisualBlack wrote :

Grega wrote :

RealDeal wrote :

no lag

I think I was being a little harsh on people but I don't think Zeth can make other bots available to ZEQ2.

VisualBlack wrote :

Grega wrote :

VisualBlack wrote :

Grega wrote :

RealDeal wrote :

no lag

I think I was being a little harsh on people but I don't think Zeth can make other bots available to ZEQ2.

Dude he's talking about Earth Special Forces.

ESFER25 View user's profile Send private message

VisualBlack wrote : *laughing out loud* you know what's the funniest thing. Goku farted.

Why are you even posting?

Grega wrote :

VisualBlack wrote :

Grega wrote :

RealDeal wrote :

no lag

Actually the bots are working quite nicely in the inteam. Aside from the fact that they are nearly unbeatable unless you spam beams from a distance and run the moment they see you ^^

That's the insane difficult right?

No that's the default ^^

Their personality is a tad hard to set, since they don't have one yet. And in mêlée they cheat since they read your input ^^

At least at the moment. Difficulty levels are for a later time *intense laughter*

Zeth The Admin View user's profile Send private message

ZEQ2-lite (don't forget the LITE) could easily whip up some capable bots by treating them as faux-players with mimicked input -- granted we focused timewise on the task.

It's simply not a priority at the moment.

Konan View user's profile Send private message

Maybe we can use Bid For Power bots, the problem is the copyright and..well those bots are really dummmy. Very Happy

Konan wrote : Maybe we can use Bid For Power bots, the problem is the copyright and..well those bots are really dummmy. Very Happy

How do you know. They always keep attacking and they will not stop.

<<  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  >>

Actions

Online [ 0 / 6125]