Content

Colorless Textures/Outline Approach Guide

Skatter #*&@%! View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Wednesday, December 07, 2011

Colorless textures – Outline approach.

As you can see now, if you were to update to the head revision, Goku’s textures seem a bit off. That’s because his textures consist only of outlines, and all of the colors applied to his model are drawn from the cel-bands instead of the texture. The lack of appropriate color you can see just means that that area hasn’t been separated out and given a cel-band appropriate for the color.

This means that a few things need to occur.

First, the model will need to be separated to properly facilitate this change. For all you addon makers/people interested in helping out with the SVN, A model will have to be separated, with each color being a unique group. TRL, Zielan, and AnTy have experience in that area, if you’re curious you might be able to get them to explain further/help figure it out.

Next, your textures need to be colorless. All colored areas will need to be whited out, or desaturated and lightened.

Here’s the Goku Emblem Texture we all know and love:

And here would be a modified (albeit somewhat crisp and jaggy) outline texture:

Next, we’re going to need to make some adjustments to our shader file.

Original

gokuEmblemShirt
{
   outlines

{
      map players/Goku/gokuEmblemBody.png
      rgbGenidentityLighting
   }
   {
      clampMap effects/shading/celShadeOrange.png
      blendfunc filter
      rgbGenlightingUniform
      tcGencel
   }
}

Modified:

gokuEmblemShirt
{
   outlines

{
      clampMap effects/shading/celShadeOrange.png
      tcGencel
   }
   {
      map players/Goku/gokuEmblemBody.png
      blendfunc filter
   }
}

You’re basically going to follow this rule with every group in the model. The blend function will be used on the outline, rather than the cel-band, from now on, and some keywords removed.

Next we need to look at our cel-bands. If you were to go in-game at the moment, things wouldn’t appear very satisfactory. Although, if you gray-scaled the cel-bands, perhaps you’d come up with a manga-esque result, however unimportant that is to the subject at hand.

Typically in Zeq2Lite, cel-bands are divided into three different shades. To emulate the result I got, I tried to match up toGoku’s current color palette, however more accurate screen captures are needed to get accurate coloring.

For now, we’re going to show a before and after alteration of the celShadeOrange, so you can see the how the color schemes change.
Before:

After:

Also, each character should probably use his ow ncel-bands, rather than color specific. For instance, Goku’s blue undershirt and Vegeta’s jumpsuit might not be the same color of blue, so simply having celShadeBlue wouldn’t work.
Now: Our Normal Goku

Everyone’s favorite hero with cel-band controlled color scheme:

As you can see, the emblem, yellow lines in the boots, and the red lacing need to be separated. The eyebrows and hair do, as well, however I couldn’t bear showing that screenshot.

JayREEZY View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Wednesday, December 07, 2011

Interesting Smile ... I knew you guys would go with this method some day. Best of luck with the results, because I love the colors Very Happy . Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this method used on games like Burst Limit?

Zeth The Admin View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Thursday, December 08, 2011

Doubtful. As far as I am aware, they use standard colored diffuse textures like everyone else. The end result may be similar, but they probably made use of GPU shader support for their shading implementation to prevent having to go to such extremes for a rudimentary effect.

Reply with quote Friday, December 09, 2011

So the models still need to be grouped right? I'm assuming shading can't be applied to only a certain part of the texture (like Goku's symbols). Either that, or the end result would be less filespace...

NELLO!! Mitico View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Saturday, December 10, 2011

interesting but is too satured..

and boots textures losed detail color..

Domo-Kun View user's profile Send private message

That's because they aren't grouped yet (I think)

NELLO!! wrote : interesting but is too satured..

Too saturated? What would you know about saturated colors Nello? Laughing I thought that's how you liked your characters....

interesting but is too satured..

It's not about the specifics of the color as much as the options extended from having colors as a separate process.

NELLO!! wrote : interesting but is too satured..

Skatter wrote : As you can see, the emblem, yellow lines in the boots, and the red lacing need to be separated. The eyebrows and hair do, as well, however couldn’t bear showing that screenshot.

The colors themselves weren't important. This is something to learn by, not a final revision. I'm learning, too.

Shenku RiO Incarnate View user's profile Send private message

Judging by this picture:

I'm assuming that the emblem is going to need to be separated as a decal plane in order to get a separate cel-band from the shirt. Either that, or a circle around the emblem will need to be cut into the model to separate it, which would add to the overall polycount a little. Either way, a colorless texture approach seems to make the shading issue more noticeable than before, so a model adjustment will be needed...

Shenku wrote :
I'm assuming that the emblem is going to need to be separated as a decal plane in order to get a separate cel-band from the shirt. Either that, or a circle around the emblem will need to be cut into the model to separate it, which would add to the overall polycount a little. Either way, a colorless texture approach seems to make the shading issue more noticeable than before, so a model adjustment will be needed...

Likely something similar would need to be done for the lines on the boots. The laces might be okay simply to be separated, though. You'd know much more than I, Shenku, I'm sure Smile

It seems you can't apply celShading to only certain parts of the texture. Shenku is right though, the symbol may need to be an actual part of the model.

Is GPU shader support the only other way?

Reply with quote Sunday, December 11, 2011

As long as you don't mind excluding shading from certain regions, you can put the emblem regions as a separate texture (as you did) and as an additional Quake 3 shader texture stage.

Zeth wrote : As long as you don't mind excluding shading from certain regions, you can put the emblem regions as a separate texture (as you did) and as an additional Quake 3 shader texture stage.

Hmm... That is a good solution as well, I suppose... But is there perhaps a way to apply the shading to specific stages only, without effecting anything that the specific stage dictates is transparent, I.e. only shade the opaque pixels of the emblem whilst ignoring the transparent pixels and allowing the shirt which is in a separate stage to be unaffected by it?(I hope that made sense...)

I'm not sure how difficult that would be, or if it would cause some rendering conflicts or something on the model...

On the plus side, it could theoretically simplify things by not requiring color-by-color separation of all model components if we could do some of it through the shaders by themselves(which in instances such as Goku's emblem, would allow us to keep shading effects, while avoiding increased polycounts)... We would need independent textures for each stage though, so I'm not sure how taxing that could become if we were to, say, eliminate the separate shader references for Goku's whole shader file, and merge them purely into a singular "1 shader reference per-md3" format with separate stages for each color.

Just thinking out loud I guess, so feel free to ignore this post...

Hmm... That is a good solution as well, I suppose... But is there perhaps a way to apply the shading to specific stages only, without effecting anything that the specific stage dictates is transparent, I.e. only shade the opaque pixels of the emblem whilst ignoring the transparent pixels and allowing the shirt which is in a separate stage to be unaffected by it?(I hope that made sense...)

All we really have control over right now is texture ordering in the shader. If we wanted more finite control over these kinds of things, we'd need our own GPU shader program written (which we lack support for) or multiple pass support -- not just multitexture support.

Reply with quote Monday, December 12, 2011

Zeth wrote :

All we really have control over right now is texture ordering in the shader. If we wanted more finite control over these kinds of things, we'd need our own GPU shader program written (which we lack support for) or multiple pass support -- not just multitexture support.

Eh, was a thought... Probably something that we won't see for a good while, if ever...

Reply with quote Monday, December 12, 2011

That really all depends on Arnold and if he is successful in syncing us up to the latest ioquake3 revision. If he is, we can apply a patch that will give us GLSL access (among other things).

JadenKorn Totally Explicit View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Wednesday, December 14, 2011

And got it all patched up since yesterday. Got a bit here and there to fix up, though. Seems my upsyncing removed a bit more than expected.

Reply with quote Wednesday, December 14, 2011

JadenKorn wrote : And got it all patched up since yesterday. got a bit here and there to fix up, though. Seems my upsyncing removed a bit more than expected.

So your Arnold Smile , well good luck with your patch. It must be very hard and time consuming huh? A little motivation does us all some good..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLINdHoqC1Q

SAMCROSS View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Sunday, December 18, 2011

JayREEZY wrote :

JadenKorn wrote : And got it all patched up since yesterday. got a bit here and there to fix up, though. Seems my upsyncing removed a bit more than expected.

So your Arnold Smile , well good luck with your patch. It must be very hard and time consuming huh? A little motivation does us all some good..

Such an Epic clip

najeeb My Sir View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Friday, January 13, 2012

JayREEZY wrote :

if you close you're eyes and listen , seems as Piccolo is having an 0rgasm for the first time :S

ESFER25 View user's profile Send private message

najeeb wrote :

JayREEZY wrote :

if you close you're eyes and listen , seems as Piccolo is having an 0rgasm for the first time :S

Thank you, I just tried it and at the end of the video it sounded wrong, really wrong.

LegendarySS4 View user's profile Send private message

ESFER25 wrote :

najeeb wrote :

JayREEZY wrote :

Thank you, I just tried it and at the end of the video it sounded wrong, really wrong.

*laughing out loud* Laughing

Actions

Online [ 0 / 6125]