Content

Creating an RoQ file

Baldwin Lost Soul View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Friday, February 10, 2012

Greetings. Have you ever thought about getting more than 8 frames(Animmap keyword)? Yes! You're in luck, this is the place for it!

Roq file, it's a bunch of compressed TGA files being played very quickly (Unless fps are low). It's used in many games, such as DOOM, QUAKE 3 Arena..and so on.

Step 1:
- You'll need an avi(Recommend) file(Or any type of video file).

Step 2:
- Open up the command prompt, if you have the ffmpeg files in lets say

C:\Users\Baldwin\Documents\RoQConverter.

Then you put in the command prompt.

cd C:\Users\Baldwin\Documents\RoQConverter

It will direct CmdPrompt to your folder in which the ffmpeg files are located.

Step 3:

Put your video file in the same folder as the ffmpeg files, in my case, the video file'll be in "RoQConverter". Name your video file, instead of using a space use an underscore.. Ex: StarBurst_Particle.

Type in command prompt.. (Change my video name to your video name, of course)

Legend.

-I = Input file

-are = frames per second (It's actually the LETTER "are" and NOT word "Are" forum filter conflicts.

-s = resolution setting

-ar = dealing with sound

After -ar 22050, just put your output file name.

ffmpeg -I StarBurst_Particle -are 30 -s 512x512 -ar 22050 StarBurst_Particle.Roq

STEP 4

Now you've created an RoQ file.

In order to run it in ZEQ2-Lite

Instead of "map" we're going to use "Videomap" Which tells the map that this surface should be played as an Roq video file.

StarBurst
{
   {
   Videomap maps/IslandCityMap/StarBurst_particle.roq

}
}

If you've completely follow those steps then congratulations, not only did you create an RoQ file, but you've got it to run on ZEQ2-Lite!! Give yourself around of applause!

Resources:

ffmpeg files- http://tinyurl.com/ffmpegFiles

NOTE:

If you're planning on having the RoQ file act as a texture. MAKE sure your resolution is by the power of 2. The engine does not know how to tile none squared textures

Ex: 512x512 - Will tile nicely
512x384- Won't tile nicely

NOTICE

You MUST update to the latest revision, for tiled Roq file support.

You might only be able to play about 1-2 Roq files per map. Meaning if you add 3 or more roq files to the map/scene, the surface will become pure white. This is just a noticed now, until this is lifted or if somehow there is a work around.

Eagle The Purpose View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Friday, July 25, 2014

Roq file for ZEQ2 intro:

!!!TUTORIAL FOR WINDOWS!!!

Roq file for ZEQ2 intro:

1. Download ffmpeg here: https://www.ffmpeg.org/download.html

SEARCH FOR YOUR OS AND OS VERSION (XP, 7, 8, x86, x64).

2. Extract the folder where you want to work.

3. Having a video in avi and high quality is recommended.

4. Put the video in the folder that contains an executable named ffmpeg (it avoid putting the entire path in the command prompt)

5. Go in command prompt and type: cd <path to the folder that contain the executable>

6. Then type: ffmpeg -I <name of the current video>.avi -ab 256k(bit rate, keep this) -ar 22050(further sound frequency of the video) -are 30(further frequency of frames per second in the video) -s 256x256(further heigh/width of the video, you can try 512 or higher but the further file will have heavy frame that will not be read by quake3 engine) <further name>.roq

Exemple:

cd C:\Users\Wh1t34Gl3\Desktop\FFMPEG\Bin
ffmpeg -I a.avi -ab 256k -ar 22050 -are 30 -s 512x512 a.roq

I had a video of 1:33 and 15mb

The roq file is 30mb now, and took me 5 min to convert.

If you want quality, try to put 512x512, not more or the game won't be able to read heavy frames and will crash and not over the initial resolution of your video (if it already has a tiny resolution, or it'll be beautimus *intense laughter*). (the program will say in red when some frames are too much for Quake 3, so lower the resolution and restart the convertion)

Don't forget that the resolution must be a power of 2 (square, exemple, 512x512, and not 640x480)

Hope that helped for those who want to convert files to put them as an intro in ZEQ2. Smile

IMPORTANT:

I advice you to make a batch file to avoid typing commands everytime if you fail or you want to convert few videos..

1. Do: Win + are (exec)
2. Type notepad then press enter
3. Write your commands.
"cd <path to the "bin" folder>
ffmpeg -I <name of the current video>.avi -ab 256k -ar 22050 -are 30 -s 256x256 <further name>.roq"

Don't forget to go to the line after the command "cd".
4. Ctrl + S
5. Name it as you want but don't forget to change the ".text" into ".bat"
6. Run it and it'll do everything for you. (you can change rewrite it by doing right click --> modify)

Make some nice intros Wink

Gokua View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Saturday, July 26, 2014

cool I'll try this

link broken (SAS)

edit: http://www.moddb.com/tutorials/how-to-create-a-roq-video-file1

Reply with quote Saturday, July 26, 2014

Woops, haven't seen the link I putted is another version.

But the commands are same, I'm search how it works and update the first post

Reply with quote Thursday, July 31, 2014

Modified post for the latest version of ffmpeg (29.7.14)

Reply with quote Tuesday, August 05, 2014

>Gokua

Quake video maker is good and easy to use, but with ffmpeg you can do over a million of combinaisons with all the parameters it has and you can create a batch file to avoid doing all the settings again and again.. (plus, I always loved to use the command prompt Laughing )

Edit: Improved the tutorial for those who don't have the same tree of folders.

Make some nice intros Wink

firstsix11 View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Sunday, June 19, 2016

nice

Actions

Online [ 0 / 6125]