Content

<<  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  >>

When Shenku gets Bored...

Shenku RiO Incarnate View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Friday, February 21, 2014

Zeth wrote : Went from trackstar gypsie to straight-up adventurer. Not bad, Shenku. Definitely an improvement. Might tone down your over-saturated color palette (unless that's your goal) as well as put in some supplemental details here and there.

Yeah, not sure what I was thinking with the first version, was kind of just doodling with 3DS Max(If you can even call it doodling, since technically no drawing was involved...) and that's what came out... Did the same thing for the second one, but it looks much better now than it did... [edit]By the way, that stripe on her pants from the first version was actually an open hole in the side of the pant legs, but I ended up not liking how it looked at all, so I deleted that entire section, brought the bottom of the pant legs up, reworked the scaling, and turned them into puffy shorts instead...[/edit]

Although, as I was working on the second version of her clothes, I constantly had another model I made stuck in my head(pictured below, made it back in July of last year, but never did anything with it...), but I was trying to come up with something new, not just a rehash of a character design I already explored, so I tried as best as I could to do something different...

Zeth The Admin View user's profile Send private message

Interesting character! Very much a Tifa/Tomb-Raider kind of vibe.
Neat asymmetric details.

If I had to pick an area of your models that lacks a bit of luster, the primary 'under-par' region would be the face. Your features are not quite detailed enough to be realistically bound by modern standards, but also not quite exaggerated enough in layout/proportions to be considered heavily stylized either. This mostly ends up creating a feeling of falling into the late PlayStation / early PlayStation 2 era for that region.

I'm no artist/modeler though. I'm sure someone experienced in the industry could explain in better detail. If I had to wager a guess, I'd say it mostly relates to your eye shape, size, and placement falling in the median between the two contrasting styles.

If this is your aim, of course, then it's obviously not a problem!

Zeth wrote : Interesting character! Very much a Tifa/Tomb-Raider kind of vibe.
Neat asymmetric details.

If I had to pick an area, the primary 'under-par' aspect compared to the rest would be the face region. Your features are not quite detailed enough to be realistically bound, but also not quite exaggerated enough in layout/proportions to be considered heavily stylized. This mostly ends up creating a feeling of falling into the late PlayStation / early PlayStation 2 era of standards for the head.

I could have added more details to her face, as well as some other areas(textures included), but I never got a chance to go back and fix her up to do anything with it... Was largely just practicing slightly more realistic textures than I've been doing for anything around here, since pretty much everything I make here uses flat textures with no shading...

There was also a second character I made from this model as more of a "mage" type character(pictured below), which also suffered the unfortunate fate of being abandoned...

Edit: The original sketch I drew of this character looked a lot better than the model turned out...

Zeth The Admin View user's profile Send private message

Pretty nifty. These are actually somewhat atypical designs. For what purpose were they created? (Please don't say a cookie cutter MMO or JRPG type game!)

Zeth wrote : Pretty nifty. These are actually somewhat atypical designs. For what purpose were they created? (Please don't say a cookie cutter MMO or JRPG type game!)

No, wasn't even attempting those. MMOs by far are nearly improbable to develope by one's self, and JRPGs in general don't appeal to me that much any more... If anything, it would have been more of an action adventure/platformer, maybe akin to something like the dungeon puzzles in Zelda crossed with something like Prototype's faster paced movement/combat mechanics.

Already working on something similar that's based off my book(more elaborate in some senses, but still a relatively simple game, and a completely different style from the above two characters), but development's being held up by issues with various still missing features, proper AI simulation, working GUI, state saving, more customizable spell/ability system, exc... As much as I've learned about scripting/coding in UDK, there's still a ton I haven't a clue how to do...

Reply with quote Friday, March 07, 2014

Some small updates, I have Aka rigged now, changed the mesh up for her sword(it's now a twin "gun-blade" ala Final Fantasy 8-ish, looks like one sword but can be split apart into two to be duel wielded), made a bunch of minor changes to the mesh(added mouth interior, combined everything into a single mesh, reworked some polygons/smoothing groups here and there, made the eye pupils/iris' meshes instead of textures so they can be animated), and added in a control panel to adjust facial animations/morphs more easily with out having to select the mesh and go under the skin modifier.

So far I have a "non-combat walk" animation and a "combat idle" animation. Going to do the other animations when I have more time.

Oh, and before someone asks why I combined all the models into a single mesh(Since it makes for less accurate shading in ZEQ2-Lite...), I decided I'm going to be exporting this into UDK for some root motion animation testing(think stuff like wall running/jumping, dodge rolling, mêlée attacks affecting character movement, exc.), and the Unreal engine gets finicky if skeletal meshes aren't a single skinned object when they're exported...

Eagle The Purpose View user's profile Send private message

Keira looks like Lara Croft *intense laughter*

Arch Mage and Also known as are perfectly modelised but Also known as looks creepy with those eyes *intense laughter*

AnTycrisT RocksTar View user's profile Send private message

there's something about her face... she looks shocked I guess... anyway looks good...

ryku220 View user's profile Send private message

shenku are you going to put a_k_a in ZEQ2 or are you saving her for something special. Very Happy

Wh1t34Gl3(SAS) wrote : Keira looks like Lara Croft *intense laughter*

Arch Mage and Also known as are perfectly modelised but Also known as looks creepy with those eyes *intense laughter*

AnTy wrote : there's something about her face... she looks shocked I guess... anyway looks good...

That's just the default face pose. I actually have different morph targets setup through a "control panel" in the scene that I can use to change her facial expression on the fly.

http://youtu.be/1M7WWToEOzM

When I use the final character in-game, her default expression will be more serious like pictured below.

Wow impressive Shocked

What program do you use to make this ?

I like the sword too, I think you were inspired of something to make one of this kind Wink

Wh1t34Gl3(SAS) wrote :

Wow impressive Shocked

What program do you use to make this ?

It was in the video's description... Rolling Eyes

wups sorry Embarassed

AnTycrisT RocksTar View user's profile Send private message

Shenku wrote : That's just the default face pose. I actually have different morph targets setup through a "control panel" in the scene that I can use to change her facial expression on the fly.

When I use the final character in-game, her default expression will be more serious like pictured below.

that's great, great work shenku...

TRL View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Sunday, March 09, 2014

Still the blank stare is off. It's derpy. Toriyama only put the pupils right in the middle when characters went derp. Xatoku used to make the same mistake.

The straight forward look should have the pupils sticking to the inner (nose) side of the eyes.

TRL wrote : Still the blank stare is off. It's derpy. Toriyama only put the pupils right in the middle when characters went derp. Xatoku used to make the same mistake.

The straight forward look should have the pupils sticking to the inner (nose) side of the eyes.

Well, I was kind of forced to move them off the inner corners because when I added the left/right look direction morphs, it looked weird when the one eye barely moved while the other obviously moved.

Less accurate to Toriyama's style? Perhaps, but this doesn't have to perfectly emulate Toriyama's style since it's not an actual Dragonball character. Besides, how do you know I didn't intentionally make her "derpy" looking on purpose...? Razz

TRL View user's profile Send private message

Derpy it is then!

ryku220 View user's profile Send private message

since she has a gunblade will she have any ki attacks?

ryku220 wrote : since she has a gunblade will she have any ki attacks?

Define "ki".

Edit: Long answer because the above was posted from my phone while I was walking home from work, and I didn't want to get hit by a car as I was cutting through a Jewel parking lot at the time...

No she will not have "Ki attacks" in the Dragonball sense. I want a majority of her ranged abilities to be based off just the gun portion of her blades(they are predominately swords after all, the Guns are just there to give some ranged offensive capability for dealing with people from a distance until she can get in close enough to cut them to pieces...)

Any other attacks will be either very short ranged, or A.O.E.(Area of Effect) attacks centered on her(such as Link from Zelda type Spin-Attack moves, blasting in every direction with the guns{Very inaccurate the further the enemy is from her}, "quake" type ground smashing/slashing moves, exc.). There'll probably be some "quasi-magic" attacks, but they won't be based off of anything Dragonball, and their effects will be much less impressive compared to something like Goku's Kaioken X5 Kamehameha against Vegeta.

Edit 2: Why the heck is "AoE" filtered as "Age of Empires"...? It's not like it's an inappropriate term or anything... Shocked

Reply with quote Friday, March 21, 2014

Was working on my book a little bit today(working on book 2...) and wrote about two pages before I needed a break, got bored, then wanted to model something a little different in 3D... Goal was to slap it together as quickly as I could, so the majority of the mesh was thrown together in about 2 hours, with about 1 hour touch up time...

Been tempted to model Mewtwo for a while now, just never found the time to do it. Now I know that it wouldn't have taken much time to begin with...... Confused

ivanhoeGT View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Friday, March 21, 2014

I think ki is japan version of inside energy Wink

Reply with quote Saturday, March 22, 2014

Decided to take it to the next level, so to speak, and edited the model a bunch to make Mewtwo's Mega Evolution form from PokémonY(I actually like this version a bit more than the version from Pokémon X)...

Edit: And yeah, I know what Ki is, or Chi, or what ever other term it's known as. Regardless, Aka will not have Dragonball Z style energy attacks.

najeeb My Sir View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Sunday, March 23, 2014

she will still beat krillin though

iykwim *intense laughter*

Mewtwo --> *laughing out loud* good game x)

MewshitThree --> NAAAAAHH WHYHYYYYYYYYY T.T

najeeb wrote : she will still beat krillin though

iykwim *intense laughter*

Actually, in a straight up fight, ignoring personal morals or individual alignments of good/evil, Krillin would beat her hands down.

Of course, I'm not sure Krillin can even hit a woman under normal circumstances(Has he ever even hit a woman other than 18 when she refused to give him breakfast until after training...?), so the fight would either be a stale mate, or he'd forfeit not wanting to hurt her...

Wh1t34Gl3(SAS) wrote : Mewtwo --> *laughing out loud* good game x)

MewshitThree --> NAAAAAHH WHYHYYYYYYYYY T.T

Don't think of it as Mewthree, because it's not. Think of the Mega Evolution forms as some sort of Super Saiyan type transformation since it's only a temporary state compared to normal evolutions, but still gives them dramatic boosts to all their abilities.

Although in all honesty considering you're here on a Dragonball Z related site, an anime commonly joked about as overusing transformations to the point of absurdity, you really shouldn't mock Pokémon when they do something similar. That's just the pot calling the Kettle black... Rolling Eyes

<<  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  >>

Actions

Online [ 0 / 6125]