Content

1, 2  >>

Oculus Rift support

Domitjen The Champ View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Saturday, June 14, 2014

Would this game be able to have VR support when using the Oculus Rift?

My DK2 is arriving in about 2 weeks and it would be really awesome to try zeq2lite out with it. I can just imagine the terror seeing a kamehameha coming to me Very Happy

I upgraded my entire pc especially for the DK2 so I hope it won't be in vein.

TRL View user's profile Send private message

Probably not without some code changes I imagine. I have yet to try an occulus rift. Sounds really awesome though.

You can come and try it out Very Happy

bought a GTX 780 OC especially for it :p

TRL View user's profile Send private message

Hehe maybe I'll do that :p

Zeth The Admin View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Sunday, June 15, 2014

ZEQ2-lite is open source so technically, yes, it could be hooked up to an occulus rift API. However, VR is primarily intended for perceptual immersion. You want a first-person experience else it'd be pretty pointless. That said, ZEQ2-lite as it is does not have a very solid first person mode. Most animations and mechanics would look far more clumsy than they already are.

Dragon Ball Z (and anime) itself isn't really built for a fixed first person camera like this either. It's all about cinematography. The camera needs to be able to adjust and move to position itself to where it can get the best shot -- shattering the perception of self-immersion (and thus benefits of virtual reality)

Reply with quote Monday, July 14, 2014

And what about "VR spectator mode" ?

I can imagine getting sick when actually playing the game, but what about if you are just spectating in a server, looking around the map (imagine being in kami's palace) and seeing other people fight..Wouldn't that be a perfect compromise? To somewhat experience it without inducing motion sickness?

(Imagine seeing your recorded battles in VR Very Happy)

For people who want to know what I am talking about: This is merely one Dragon Ball Z map in Virtual Reality, and already freaking awesome Very Happy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-kcA4-LLOc

Eagle The Purpose View user's profile Send private message

This would be cool for a the world map project. Seeing all the Dragon Ball universe with the occulus. But is this really needed ? :\

Wh1t34Gl3(SAS) wrote : This would be cool for a the world map project. Seeing all the Dragon Ball universe with the occulus. But is this really needed ? :\

No, but it's a dream of me to see the characters/maps/special effects in VR Very Happy

If it could be possible to do that on Quake 3 engine, so on ZEQ2 too, you can try on nameknoclip (the BIG Namek map) + a character with fantastic effects (nello's Goku) + Aura Swirl or another thing.

I think it would be the best render for the occulus on ZEQ2 Confused

Shenku RiO Incarnate View user's profile Send private message

Zeth wrote : ZEQ2-lite is open source so technically, yes, it could be hooked up to an occulus rift API. However, VR is primarily intended for perceptual immersion. You want a first-person experience else it'd be pretty pointless. That said, ZEQ2-lite as it is does not have a very solid first person mode. Most animations and mechanics would look far more clumsy than they already are.

Dragon Ball Z (and anime) itself isn't really built for a fixed first person camera like this either. It's all about cinematography. The camera needs to be able to adjust and move to position itself to where it can get the best shot -- shattering the perception of self-immersion (and thus benefits of virtual reality)

Well, just because most games with such VR screen setups are first person, doesn't mean they have to be. I saw a couple games that were being shown around E3 that used the Occulus Rift to manipulate a third person (platform game) camera.

So in theory, you could set it up to be in third person and have the gyro sensors control the character's aim/look direction.

One method could be something similar to the motion controls for Zelda Ocarina of Time on the 3DS, normal joystick controls aim the bow like normal but can be complimented by the gyro sensor for finer movements. (Made aiming with the Bow and Hookshot infinitely more intuitive than on the N64 or even Gamecube or Wii Zelda games.)

I've also seen some new tech start cropping up with Kickstarters and such for the Rift which gives you sensors for your hands arms and upper body, which in theory could be used to actually perform the actions to do an attack, lean in a direction to go that way, jump to jump, exc., as well as eliminate the need for a controller with those archaic "buttons" entirely. Granted, a fully functional game with all that may be a few years away still, and making such a thing more affordable for general population gamers might take even longer...

Well, just because most games with such VR screen setups are first person, doesn't mean they have to be. I saw a couple games that were being shown around E3 that used the Occulus Rift to manipulate a third person (platform game) camera.

I'm not saying third-person cannot be done in such a setup to success -- only that it doesn't reap any "immersion" benefits that come inherently from virtual reality environments. You aren't going to be looking around your shoulder nervously or reacting on instinct in real life to cover your face from something coming your way without that "I'm actually there" feeling.

Reply with quote Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Shenku: You are talking about ControlVR and Luckey's Tale I presume? Yeah, that seems promising, but ControlVR still has a long way to go though, and they still need a Wii mote to move. Luckey's Tale is indeed a nice example on how VR could be done for third person platformers, I heard a lot of people say it opens up an entire new perspective for the genre.

To be honest, I think PLAYING ZEQ2 on the oculus would perhaps cause some motion sickness, but when just SPECTATING other people's fight, that must be awesome to see as well Very Happy (not to say that I would be sad if we could play it as well haha :p)

The best way to use occulus is to play on first person, I just imagine ZEQ2 like Dragon Ball Z kinect.. Laughing

To be honest, I think PLAYING ZEQ2 on the oculus would perhaps cause some motion sickness

I think that's just popular opinion right now. When first person shooters on PC were first introduced, everyone said the exact same thing about them. Even the Virtual Boy's infamous "headaches" could be circumvented by play style and time.

Domitjen wrote : Yeah, that seems promising, but ControlVR still has a long way to go though, and they still need a Wii mote to move.

I agree that they still have a long way to go which is why I said it's still a few years away before we'll see something good enough for serious gaming.

And needing a controller is just how they had it setup, but there's plenty of options to remove the need for holding a controller, from using hand gestures such as rotating your hand slightly in the direction you want to move in(or leaning that way) to implementing some form of omnidirectional treadmill(assuming you want to actually do all your character's walking/running). Heck, even voice commands could be used to control certain actions if you consider how voice recognition software is getting better these days as well(Siri, XBOX Kinect, exc.).

My point is that the tech is slowly getting there, but I never said it was already where it needed to be. I give it about 5-10 years before we'll have much more practical VR rigs for reasonable consumer level prices.

Recently relistening to the audio book version of Ready Player One by Ernest Cline, story takes place almost entirely within a VR-MMO game. It's a good read if you like things from the '80s and old video games, but goes into some good detail about some of the various ideas the author had that could work for a "full immersion rig" for such VR games. Granted, it's Science Fiction and still mostly just "ideas", but many of them were pretty sound as far as controlling the player.

MDave ZEQ2-lite Ninja View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Almost finished putting Oculus support in Wink

Based on the stable revision.

How O.O'

You coded it ? o.O

MDave ZEQ2-lite Ninja View user's profile Send private message

I don't suppose anyone here has a DK1 or even a DK2 Oculus rift do they? I might need someone to test something out for me Wink

I ported it from Oculus ioq3 Smile

that wind.... It's cold...

Reply with quote Thursday, July 17, 2014

MDave wrote : I don't suppose anyone here has a DK1 or even a DK2 Oculus rift do they? I might need someone to test something out for me Wink

I ported it from Oculus ioq3 Smile

I already contacted a person with a dk1 to test it when it would be finished Very Happy

And someone with a dk2 is improbable since they will start shipping in the middle of next week :p

Reply with quote Thursday, July 17, 2014

And someone with a dk2 is improbable since they will start shipping in the middle of next week :p

The creators/designers would have had them for a while though.

Reply with quote Sunday, July 20, 2014

Can't wait .. Very Happy

I'm sure it'll be used like 10 min and after, you won't use if forever x)

Can't wait .. Very Happy

Why is the same image on both screens? I thought the idea was independent views representing each eye. This isn't like one of those dinky 3D media effects, is it?

Zeth wrote :

Can't wait .. Very Happy

Why is the same image on both screens? I thought the idea was independent views representing each eye. This isn't like one of those dinky 3D media effects, is it?

It's very subtle, but the two screens are slightly different positions from eachother. Take a close look at Goku's feet/legs compared to elements in the background and you'll see the slight variation.

1, 2  >>

Actions

Online [ 0 / 6125]