Content

<<  1, 2

Oculus Rift support

Zeth The Admin View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Sunday, July 20, 2014

It's very subtle, but the two screens are slightly different positions from eachother. Take a close look at Goku's feet/legs compared to elements in the background and you'll see the slight variation.

Yes, but that still doesn't make any sense. Does the Occulus do some kind of overlapping screen? I thought each screen was served to an independent eye. Wouldn't that mean the result needs to be a panoramic view?

MDave ZEQ2-lite Ninja View user's profile Send private message

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/oculus-rift2.htm

The Rift incorporates a flat 7-inch (17.8-centimeter) 60Hz LCD display screen with a resolution of 1280 by 800 pixels (around 720p high-def resolution). The screen is divided into 640 by 800 pixels per eye, with a 2.5-inch (64-millimeter) fixed distance between lens centers. The user views the screen through two lens cups. There are plans to make the consumer model's resolution at least 1080p, and the company has already demonstrated two 1080p prototypes (the HD and Crystal Cove models).

The Rift achieves stereoscopic 3-D by feeding a slightly different image to each eye, which is more or less how we see in 3-D in the real world, where each eye is seeing everything from a slightly different vantage point and the differences are used to perceive depth. The110-degree field of view extends into your peripheral vision area and, in conjunction with the lenses, is intended to help immerse you into a game.

The Rift achieves stereoscopic 3-D by feeding a slightly different image to each eye, which is more or less how we see in 3-D in the real world, where each eye is seeing everything from a slightly different vantage point and the differences are used to perceive depth. The110-degree field of view extends into your peripheral vision area and, in conjunction with the lenses, is intended to help immerse you into a game.

That seems problematic to me. Wouldn't this suffer from the EXACT same issue with viewers who are unable to experience the effect from 3D movies/televisions? It sounds like it's essentially emulating something our eyes are STILL going to be doing naturally -- creating an overlapping redundancy.

Domitjen The Champ View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Monday, July 21, 2014

Someone used it on the Rift and it looked very good, he was really impressed about it. of course without headtracking or positional tracking, it isn't really good for VR right now.

I've heard that the lenses in the oculus provide an infinity view which makes it very natural for the eyes to adjust to the picture. The 3D seems to be much much better as well than the 3D television/movies. I'm sure there is an explanation for this, but I don't know why exactly. I'm on the Oculus forums/chat all day and people say there is really no comparision between the 2. But it is one of those things people need to "try out" before they can explain it.

Reply with quote Monday, July 21, 2014

I've heard that the lenses in the oculus provide an infinity view which makes it very natural for the eyes to adjust to the picture. The 3D seems to be much much better as well than the 3D television/movies. I'm sure there is an explanation for this, but I don't know why exactly. I'm on the Oculus forums/chat all day and people say there is really no comparision between the 2. But it is one of those things people need to "try out" before they can explain it.

Yes, I figured it'd be something that needs to be tried out in person. The fact that there aren't any complaints doesn't mean they don't exist; remember that only a small portion of the populous have units. It would really bite if they suffer from the same issues as 3D televisions/cinema do as I'd be incapable of seeing the illusion.

MDave ZEQ2-lite Ninja View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Friday, July 25, 2014

Hmm, definitely a different experience to 3D TV's!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNfSmHMkyfQ

Good first impressions from someone who hasn't used the Rift before.

Reply with quote Friday, July 25, 2014

MDave wrote : Hmm, definitely a different experience to 3D TV's!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNfSmHMkyfQ

Good first impressions from someone who hasn't used the Rift before.

If someone sees that video and thinks: hmm, those colors look weird: that's because the raw video has chromatic aberration but the lenses of the DK2 compensate for it so it looks crystal clear when you're actually wearing it.

(RGB=>pentile)

Reply with quote Saturday, August 16, 2014

Just a little 'first time ever" reaction from my sister and mom while using the rift Very Happy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IU2dUdNxzD0&feature=youtu.be

nielsmillikan View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Sunday, August 17, 2014

That was really cool. I can't wait for the CV1 to be released! Have tons of ideas for games on oculus rift but I can't afford both a development kit and the consumer version Neutral

Reply with quote Sunday, August 17, 2014

nielsmillikan wrote : That was really cool. I can't wait for the CV1 to be released! Have tons of ideas for games on oculus rift but I can't afford both a development kit and the consumer version Neutral

You shouldn't worry about that, the dk2 has a great resell value, even now people are selling their dk1's for the same or even higher price as they bought them, and they are selling it like it's nothing;:p

nielsmillikan View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Monday, August 18, 2014

Nah, the cost of shipping while buying and reselling will put me in a loss finally. I'm going to wait since it won't take long for cv1 to come out, only.... 1 year... minimum...

*wipes tears*

<<  1, 2

Actions

Online [ 0 / 6125]