Content

1, 2, 3  >>

Spritehaven: A Fairy Tale

Shenku RiO Incarnate View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Friday, March 06, 2015

For those who have been following along with my previous posts, I've finally bit the bullet and launched a Kickstarter campaign for Spritehaven, which can be found here.

If you can shoot some money towards it, that's great, otherwise I'd settle for just a little help in spreading the word about it...

Brief paragraph from the Kickstarter page:

Spritehaven: A Fairy's Tale is going to be a game slated for PC and Mobile platforms featuring an open world fully explorable enchanted forest-island with mythical creatures, quirky adventures, fully customizable characters, and a home built and customized by you the player. While the game is primarily targeted towards a younger audience (8-12ish?), there will be plenty for older players to enjoy!

I'll post more info as I can, or as asked.

ZaichiZ View user's profile Send private message

Shenku wrote : For those who have been following along with my previous posts, I've finally bit the bullet and launched a Kickstarter campaign for Spritehaven, which can be found here.

If you can shoot some money towards it, that's great, otherwise I'd settle for just a little help in spreading the word about it...

Brief paragraph from the Kickstarter page:

Spritehaven: A Fairy's Tale is going to be a game slated for PC and Mobile platforms featuring an open world fully explorable enchanted forest-island with mythical creatures, quirky adventures, fully customizable characters, and a home built and customized by you the player. While the game is primarily targeted towards a younger audience (8-12ish?), there will be plenty for older players to enjoy!

I'll post more info as I can, or as asked.

Nobody will support this, because people only care about things they already know. The concept and the fact it doesn't have online, will already be too much of a turn off for people alone, 8-12 is a bad idea as well.

Eagle The Purpose View user's profile Send private message

Out of the development, I don't think 8-12 years old will be enough interested to pay for this kind of game.

Most of these games are free-to-play, and free-to-play are most pay-to-win, and this leads most to game closure. If it doesn't, it'll become an horrible place and a hated game prioritizing money. And you can pretty much say good bye to game development after the reputation you'll get.

Another problem will be the community (gaming community in general is crappy and it's a VERY long story..), but we already know that it'll be an horrible one judging the "tags" that define game.

I agree a little with Peanut Butter Pete. I know it can be interesting, and everything deserve to be seen and analysed, have chance given, but I don't really stick to it already.. That's not really the place to post that. You know.. Dragon Ball, most are +20 years old etc...

I don't force anything, it's just my though, don't get it the bad way.. Neutral

TRL View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Saturday, March 07, 2015

I think you should've posted more finished work before starting the kickstarter. A handful of sketches is not that convincing I'm afraid Shenku. Hey but congratulations anyway you got the balls to try this.

Reply with quote Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Forgot to post this here earlier today after I got my internet back up(Yay!)...

http://youtu.be/2LnVzTJzuPk

TRL, yeah I wish I had more stuff to show for it before I started, but when the fan in my laptop went bad it held me up on development by a lot. I'm getting things moving now though, and will be posting more update videos like the one linked above through out the campaign and after, whether successful or not.

Wh1t3Gl3(SAS) and Peanut Butter Petey, the 8-12 age range is a recommendation, just like most Lego games are rated E for Everyone and yet adults still play them. I'm going to make the game fun for everyone. It's just that the estimated preferred age range of 8-12 is more simply assuming that it is the minimal age range before a child is both intellectually mature enough and interested enough to want to play games of this level of complexity.

Anyways, to address your other concerns, no it will not be a "pay to win" or "free to play" game, and I am considering online play, I'm just not at a stage in development yet where I can start testing online play, particularly since I'm still unfamiliar with server setup and configuration in UE4. There are some plans for looking into it for the race mode at the very minimum, but it's still up in the air if it'll include anything beyond that.

ZaichiZ View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Shenku wrote : Forgot to post this here earlier today after I got my internet back up(Yay!)...

http://youtu.be/2LnVzTJzuPk

TRL, yeah I wish I had more stuff to show for it before I started, but when the fan in my laptop went bad it held me up on development by a lot. I'm getting things moving now though, and will be posting more update videos like the one linked above through out the campaign and after, whether successful or not.

Wh1t3Gl3(SAS) and Peanut Butter Petey, the 8-12 age range is a recommendation, just like most Lego games are rated E for Everyone and yet adults still play them. I'm going to make the game fun for everyone. It's just that the estimated preferred age range of 8-12 is more simply assuming that it is the minimal age range before a child is both intellectually mature enough and interested enough to want to play games of this level of complexity.

Anyways, to address your other concerns, no it will not be a "pay to win" or "free to play" game, and I am considering online play, I'm just not at a stage in development yet where I can start testing online play, particularly since I'm still unfamiliar with server setup and configuration in UE4. There are some plans for looking into it for the race mode at the very minimum, but it's still up in the air if it'll include anything beyond that.

Lego works out because it can be anything, Lego Star Wars, Lego Batman etc, it still follows the basis of the "people only care about things they already know" as well as Lego in general has been around for ages.

One things for certain, if there isn't going to be online mode supportable this project of yours will fail for the older age group you're hoping to get.

On another note, who remembers ZedU? Aravind worked on it for ages with helpers, Shenku makes a game alone and has already been able to completely destroy ZedU's awful/cheap customization, infact there isn't even a comparsion.

>Shenku

yeah sorry, I have surely judged the thing too soon (as I'm used too..).

Waiting for more. Smile

>Peanut Butter Pete

Not really nice for Aravind. Even if his game showed flaws, he was doing his best on the code. You should know that coding isn't simple (I don't talk about copy/adapt).

Skatter #*&@%! View user's profile Send private message

Peanut Butter Petey wrote :
One things for certain

If anything is ever certain in business, it's that nothing is ever 100% certain. All the demographic research and projection in the world can't take into account every single wildcard or small project with lots of heart that somehow manages to capture someone's interest. Blanket generalizations don't really help.

if there isn't going to be online... ...project of yours will fail

That may and may not be true. It's true that as a feature, burgeoning is an understatement when applied to online. That doesn't mean Shenku can't create a compelling and enjoyable single player experience devoid of multiplayer. And he may end up reaching those of us nearing 30 or even older who grew up before online was ever coined. Plenty of people seek out meaningful singleplayer experiences, after all. And blanket generalizations still don't help.

On another note, who remembers ZedU? Aravind worked on it for ages with helpers, Shenku makes a game alone and has already been able to completely destroy ZedU's awful/cheap customization, infact there isn't even a comparsion.

Then why make a comparison at all, unless just for some douchey, juvenile slam against another developer/project?

Only the most challenged cranial throughput would describe something as incomparable then draw a comparison, especially when factors involved can't properly be calculated in a 1:1 ratio, given how different the scopes, natures, and situations of the developers you're comparing are neither equal nor truly understandable without going much further into detail than you did.

Sorry to derail for a moment Shenku-well, sorry it happened in your thread. I truly wish you the best of luck in your endeavor here-as TRL said, you got balls for even getting as far as you have. It seems like the replay factor would be mostly geared toward your own personal goals, such as customization of your character or home being exactly as you want it, rather than any competitive goals, which can be just as driving to the right people.

Skatter #*&@%! View user's profile Send private message

ZaichZ wrote : You do know what you just said right? Why would an older group play a game aimed for 12 year olds unless it had online?

Let me spin what you said in reverse: You do know what you just said, right? Why would an older group play a game aimed at small children in online mode if not to engage in predatory behavior?

See? Neither of us get anywhere when we make blanket statements.

I've played pokemon games since the year they came out, those are primarily aimed at people much younger than myself, but that doesn't stop me from loving the franchise, hasn't turned me into a social pariah, or any other detrimental side effect, and it is primarily single player, especially if you live in a rural area like I do-you'd never have connected with anyone before the current generation, and I still find myself going back to play Yellow version or Mystery Dungeon spinoffs. There are a lot of other people I know that feel the same way, and not just about those games.

Shenku's game may invoke some sense of wonder or charm that just resonates with some people. Doesn't make them any more weird than it makes us for hanging out in a Dragon Ball Z forum, liking Pokemon, or anything else.

Let's take a look at a quote from Shenku:

Shenku wrote : I'm going to make the game fun for everyone. It's just that the estimated preferred age range of 8-12 is more simply assuming that it is the minimal age range before a child is both intellectually mature enough and interested enough to want to play games of this level of complexity.

A small bit of comprehension here might help: Shenku goes on to say that it's an estimated preferred age range because he assumes this is the minimum age required to grasp that level of complexity. He didn't say "you're some sort of manchild if you continue to enjoy this after you've passed this age range, so if you like this at age 13+ it's a sure sign you're a poorly developed and poorly rounded individual.

In fact, if he's taking the lego example at full value, he can take and fully create something that's aimed at 8-12 range without excluding any others-except those falling before 8, due to his expressed assumption that 8 would be the breakout age at which you'd grasp the gameplay well enough to be engaged.

Peanut Butter Petey wrote : Secondly you're trying waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too hard, I'm merely trying to help him

Quite the contrary, I love to write, so I'm expending very little effort, there are just tons of ways to help someone without being a total wad if you think about it for more than four seconds. I don't know Shenku well, but I do know that he has the talent, so if he has the time, passion, and willingness to turn this into something charming, it might or might not pass the kickstarter, but the online component isn't always as make-or-break as the heart and charm of a project, and if he's willing to put enough of either of those in, it'll at least stand out.

Skatter wrote :

One things for certain

If anything is ever certain in business, it's that nothing is ever 100% certain. All the demographic research and projection in the world can't take into account every single wildcard or small project with lots of heart that somehow manages to capture someone's interest. Blanket generalizations don't really help.

This right here is certainly true, especially when you consider breakout hit games that you'd never think would be popular but are. Minecraft is a perfect example of this, where as simple as and quirky of a concept as it is, it still drew in a rather large community of dedicated people.

Skatter wrote :

I'm still not going to read a single line. Infact I'm just going to ignore your existence at this point, as I said already when I see essay spam, I'm done.

Also... Your essays are sort of spamming the thread...

But hey, if you'd like to continue spamming a thread with massive essays aimed at a person who isn't even reading them, the best place for that would be the junk thread, here's the link: http://ZEQ2.com/lite/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2523&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Just don't spam someones thread next time, okay? Wink

I don't see Skatter's messages as "spamming", he's fine, and he's also right on target.

To put it in the simplest way possible, since you seem to be allergic to large words and long sentences that have merit to the topic that you yourself were debating, the "age" range is more of an "8 and up" guess.

It doesn't mean people won't be interested in it if they're older or younger than that, it's just a rough guess as to where the audience low-end age would be.

I, like Skatter, also still play Pokémon even though I'm about 2 decades older than the supposed intended audience. So yes, the intended age of a game doesn't really matter.

Too long still not reading?

It's not about how old you are, it's about how fun the game is. The rest doesn't really matter.

Zielan KoRnified View user's profile Send private message

Guys, guys calm down!
No need for a heated debate!
Peanut Butter Pete is clearly over-excited for game that hits right into his age demographics.
He just shows concern since he knows he's in the minority!

ryku220 View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Thursday, March 12, 2015

Shenku I think this is a great idea to be honest ill donate soon have to get internet installed in my new house KEEP IT UP!!! Very Happy

Reply with quote Saturday, March 14, 2015

Added the option to choose your character's gender...

https://youtu.be/UrzN3xBLKlY

Probably going to replace this mesh to something more distinctly different later (Made it from the female mesh to save time, and it kind of shows too much...), for now it's just a proof of concept that it can be done and the choices saved...

qwerty In Advance View user's profile Send private message

Here are my suggestions:

- the art style is too generic, remove the character creator and create a charismatic character. Some example.

- turn the game into a 3D platform with levels and skills to unlock like Banjo-Kazooie, Super Mario 64, Psychonauts etc..

- your game has to be unique and innovative, no one needs a copy of the commercial games. Example Goat Simulator yes, it's a beautimus and lacking game but it's original and has become popular

- add a physics-based gameplay, at children like this

- the game must be fun to play and much humor Very Happy

- try a better game recorder like Bandicam, Fraps etc..

- try the Steam early access way

- good luck! Very Happy

- forgive my bad English Very Happy

Banjo-Kazooie, Super Mario 64

Old times.. slam I miss this so much..

>qwerty

The theme stick more with adventure and gorgeous environments worth of fairy tales than a 3D platform game.

3D platform games goes most of the time with cartoonish and/or anthropomorphic character (mario, sonic, link, banjo, alex kid, spyro, conker, kirby, bubble bobble characters etc...) and with more rare exceptions (samus, etc..), in their own type of world with their own stories.

When I see this project, weirdly, I see it in a world like dragon nest (without the "Amelia: shop holder, 8 years old, wearing 110E bras, half nude" side...). Briefly an mmo, but simplier.

AraVinD View user's profile Send private message

I Really wonder if it was worked on for age's though and again
thought you would bring up something with Zedu, are you trying to get something out of this ? Really? well which ever it is Zedu is completely being reconstructed and its progress and will surface Once some Developmental goals are reached (non of the effort that was put through is a waste!), the old prototype was mearly a test, and Peanut Butter Pete I suggest you to rethink before comparing two completely different things and trying to bash something through here,

and nice project by the way seeing the customization video gave me some Sword Art (anime) online feels Razz

qwerty wrote : Here are my suggestions:

I appreciate your suggestions, but I'll address each of them individually.

- the art style is too generic, remove the character creator and create a charismatic character. Some example.

Funnily enough, I was attempting to draw from Disney's art style in general, and more specifically, the Tinkerbell movies(watched them all numerous times for research and inspirational purposes). The final game will be a lot more stylized to match it. Keep in mind the game's art assets are still very early in development, ALL the 3D assets WILL be replaced, and all textures will likely be altered/swapped/replaced to form a cohesive matching style across the whole game.

- turn the game into a 3D platform with levels and skills to unlock like Banjo-Kazooie, Super Mario 64, Psychonauts etc..

Switching to a platformer style game defeats the entire theme of this game, which is flying. Most platformers are too restrictive by far, and the only way to make it a proper platformer would be to completely remove the free flight ability. Otherwise, you could just fly over all those obstacles...

- your game has to be unique and innovative, no one needs a copy of the commercial games. Example Goat Simulator yes, it's a beautimus and lacking game but it's original and has become popular

It will be. I've looked for a few years, at least, and I have yet to find a single fairy themed game where you were truly able to fly anywhere and explore freely. Unless I've missed some obscure foreign game that's never made it to the USA or for that matter the English speaking countries in general, mine would be one of, if not, THE first. That in itself makes it unique.

- add a physics-based gameplay, at children like this

Working on a "flying soccer/football/rugby" system right now actually. Running into some issues throwing the ball after picking it up, but I'm hoping to sort it out soonish to have in the initial demo(at least in a single player practice mode until I can get AI sorted out). The general idea is that you can either bump into and push the ball, or you can pick it up and throw it, and the goal will be to get the ball into the opposing team's goal. Kind of like the mini-game Blitz Ball in Final Fantasy 10, but flying instead of swimming...

- the game must be fun to play and much humor Very Happy

The main story mode will have humor, and the NPCs will be given a variety of personalities. "Fun" is dependent largely on how polished I can get the main game features.

- try a better game recorder like Bandicam, Fraps etc..

I am using Fraps... The slow framerate isn't from the recording software, it's from my not so powerful laptop screaming incoherently at trying to run the game because my processor, RAM, and Graphics Card are only just barely passable to run the UE4 Editor/Engine.

Cleaner and smoother recordings would require a better computer to run the game on, which at present is not very cost effective.

- try the Steam early access way

Do elaborate, I'm not exactly sure what you mean here...

- good luck! Very Happy

- forgive my bad English Very Happy

Thanks, and don't sweat it. I understood you just fine. Smile

Just a simple warning, but the more accounts you make to get around being released from the forums to continue posting, the less likely it is that you will be allowed to return...

AraVinD View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Sunday, March 15, 2015

GokuMan wrote : The original message can be seen here, but I apologize for it. I have changed my biased and very wrong ways, and I will try to be more respectful in the future. Thank you for your time, all of you. http://pastie.org/private/e6ucs9hoar5lx78qy4usca

oh my lloyd Peanut Butter Pete mister I dare you to post all those screenshots and what ever things you got from me but which ever you do post here, it will not work I will say this I never ever ment any of that the way you think I ment I was mearly dancing(replying in accordance) to you're tune of words for fun again, I never degraded any other project ONCE ever! and as for the degrading you are already degrading Wolf's project Fist of Ki already by saying it as low quality How dare you ? {you posting a another low quality project and claiming it to be Earth Special Forces to people.} and also I posted that image on enjin forums for Fun and everyone knows the truth are you mad ? I thought you had potentials when you're posting stuff to help ZEQ2 lite develop on the code side of things but sshhhhh
on the side note I speak with developers from many different projects everyday and they know my true self and what kind of wits and jokes that goes on there as well. you're sorry post about taking revenge will not work here

and once again sorry for posting on you're thread with unrelated content shenku,
Edit:
Zeth can you please delete all these irrelevant posts from this thread, Peanut Butter Petey and I have talked and concluded things and have come to an agreement.

Getting this thread back on topic...!

Spent practically all day trying to get this working (Either the mesh was the wrong scale, or it wasn't colliding with the boundary when thrown, or half a dozen other issues...)... But it's working now, so yay...!

https://youtu.be/7YRmvfrE744

Can now pick up the "ball" and throw it. Still need to add in the Goals and adjust the initial velocity on the ball when thrown so it goes a touch faster. As it is now, it's too easy to intercept mid throw, particularly by the person who threw it, which I demonstrated twice in that video...

Also need to (probably once I get AI working) set up some kind of "tackle" that'll knock the "ball" away from the player so you can't simply fly the ball all the way to the goal so easily (also a large visual indicator on the screen to help track the "ball" since it gets very hard to spot at a distance...)...

Disney

That's the only word that came to me when I saw the video. Neutral

In which engine it is made already ?

Wh1t34Gl3(SAS) wrote : Disney

That's the only word that came to me when I saw the video. Neutral

In which engine it is made already ?

Unreal Engine 4. I thought I said that somewhere before, maybe it got burried...?

And yes, Disney is a heavy influence on the intended art style for this game. The female Fairy's face was actually modeled using a variety of reference images of Ariel from The Little Mermaid to help me capture that kind of style.

Ahh that's why.

I didn't remember for the engine, I think you told it on another thread.

And I broke it...

Apparently my throwing system has a slight issue where it throws the "ball" when you're not even holding it, giving it a boost to its velocity matching your character's forward facing direction... I didn't notice it before because the velocity change was so low, but after I cranked it up, it became very obvious...

Already fixed it, and added a particle system to help locate the "ball" easier.

Reply with quote Monday, March 30, 2015

Added in the initial framework for an inventory system. No drag and drop functionality yet, but it is on the to do list.

http://youtu.be/7XzwQK90JJQ

1, 2, 3  >>

Actions

Online [ 0 / 6125]