Content

<<  1, 2, 3  >>

Spritehaven: A Fairy Tale

Shenku RiO Incarnate View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Inventory assets are now partially saved and can be reloaded, but they're referencing the items from the level which causes them to be null when changing or reloading the level... (By which I mean, the icon is showing the item as present in the inventory, but it does nothing when used/dropped because it doesn't technically exist)

Need to fix that, and then the inventory system will be mostly done. (Only need to make the rest of the base item types, and input the character equipment menu once saving the items is fixed...)

Well that didn't take as long as I thought it would.

Items are now saving, loading, spawning, and being "used" correctly.

Eagle The Purpose View user's profile Send private message

Nice. Smile

Reply with quote Wednesday, April 01, 2015

Stat changes from using Power Up items are now saved, and a new "item spawner" object has been made that will spawn and respawn items in the world.

Now that stats are being saved, I can reference the changes for the equipment/stat menu, which I should have done by sometime tomorrow. Just need to set some Hard Caps to the stats first to keep them from getting too ridiculous to the point that it brakes the game and/or stat displays...

Stat Menu is partially done, stats are now visible to the player, and rough layout of the equipment slots is there, it just needs the functionality to be added...

Isn't it a bit too much detailed in the stats ? Laughing

(or it is for the tests ?)

Wh1t34Gl3(SAS) wrote : Isn't it a bit too much detailed in the stats ? :*laughing out loud*:

(or it is for the tests ?)

It's not really too much. Besides, if you compare it to something like a full blown RPG or even MMORPG, these few stats are relatively few in comparison. I'm debating keeping the item and rare item drop rates hidden, but the rest of these stats are definitely staying in this menu.

The idea behind these stats is that there's going to be clothing and accessories that the player can equip that will effect these stats, which will allow them more control over how their character moves around in the world, and is made visible so you know your capabilities for the racing portion of the game. Certain races/activities may even have minimum requirements to be able to access them as well, so it'll be easier to know how close/far you are from being able to meet said requirements.

The equipment will also have other secondary effects, such as changing your "pixie dust" particles, altering your clothing's colors, giving you new clothing options(that weren't available at player creation), increasing the likelihood of certain events occurring, exc.

Reply with quote Thursday, April 02, 2015

In fact nevermind about what I said, I just remembered of diablo and it seems pretty normal to me now.. *intense laughter*

Reply with quote Monday, April 06, 2015

The Kickstarter is now over, and the funding goal has not been reached, so... No funding...

Oh well. Maybe next time when I have more stuff to show off the bat....

Zeth The Admin View user's profile Send private message

Oh well. Maybe next time when I have more stuff to show off the bat....

That's honestly the biggest key and the main reason why our project never saw the light of the day of a kickstarter. We had roughly four dozen polished, detailed concepts and several semi-polished ingame shots for our project and STILL didn't feel comfortable posting our kickstarter. Months spent just on just preparing scripts, goals, handling outsourced goodies, etc.

To be perfectly honest, I wasn't very comfortable with the amount of material I had to show for the Kickstarter at all, as it's largely unpolished sketches/thumbnail drawings and large blocks of text. But I'm at a point in my life now where I've realized that I've been having too many second thoughts, reservations, and even skepticism in general, for me to get anywhere in life. The Kickstarter was me taking a chance and just seeing what happened.

Granted it wasn't a success, but as with most things in life, I just need to learn from this so that next time it'll go better.

And I just finished slapping together a website/forum for this project at spritehaven.com. All future updates will be getting posted up there(I'll still keep you guys posted here too, of course).

Reply with quote Tuesday, April 07, 2015

Don't rush things. It just started, you have all the time you want. No constraints about time and fans yet. And you are making this for fun too, don't forget that. Smile

Just an advice.

Do not promise something you won't give. From the game, to a simple media. It can cause ravages in the worst case.
Blackdragonstory knows what I mean, we saw that again few months ago on another indie game. Wink

I wonder if it's still "on going"..

Do not promise something you won't give. From the game, to a simple media. It can cause ravages in the worst case. Blackdragonstory knows what I mean, we saw that again few months ago on another indie game.

Not every project is about catering to fans (nor should ANY really be). Unless a developer cruxes upon finances from their userbase, they should always be progressing and focusing on elements they feel are important -- at a rate that they deem adequate. Not meeting a "promised" deadline in this scope means nothing.

Besides those that invest resources/finances, fans need to understand they are 100% irrelevant at these stages and can easily be replaced by other fans. They mean zero in the larger scope of absolutely any project's development.

You really only see this kind of contrived mentality for users trying to push their project through social media and sites like moddb.

>Zeth

At the limit, I would understand for projects like ZEQ2-Lite, but there, it's a video game. Made for peoples to enjoy their leisure time, relaxing, getting out of the daily routine. It's normal and even recommended to have good relation with them when you are an indie developper. It can serve both sides, gamers, and developers.

Brad's right.

For the most part, most commercial games do not cater to the whims of the fans because in most cases it has the reverse effect from what the developers want by driving the player-base away regardless of what it is they're doing or the reasoning behind it. Rather, what they often do cater to, is the actual sales figures, which can be very different from what the fans themselves are actually saying.

Besides, most people don't really know what they want in a game despite how much they think they know.

I never talked about fanbase controlling the development. I said good relations.

Look Unturned and FNAF (and maybe even minecraft). They aren't controlled by the fanbase. The communities are waiting for what the developers will give to them. It works well in both directions.

Postscript: It's just a theory, A old- *BANG*.....

Not every project benefits from being community-oriented. Not every community-oriented project benefits from fan servicing. You named a handful that may have (to some extent), but 95% of games throughout the course of history had not adopted this ideology. Game development as a form of user-controlled wish fulfillment practically just turns the process into popular opinion -- stifling innovation largely.

The problem often is that the most vocal users may only represent the minority. If you have a hundred people complain about a feature on a forum, it doesn't necessarily mean something needs changing. There could just as well be ten thousand others that are happy with said feature and simply have no need to frequent the service those with issues are.

Additionally, fans don't necessarily understand what they want (nor what the development/design costs may be). Even if the entire fanbase agrees on a particular change, that doesn't instantly mean the project would benefit from it. Besides resource/time overhead for development, the suggestions can VERY easily conflict with the game's original/intended design goals. Essentially, this creates a scenario where the product would need to change its efforts/tonality entirely -- spurring forward what should very well be a unique project on its own.

Reply with quote Wednesday, April 08, 2015

I know how it is actually, and it is sad (nintendo might end like sega..).. But when developers want, they can do it right. And these are most seen in indie games.

Not everyone can manage their projects that perfectly, and being alone. I agree on that.

I know how it is actually, and it is sad (nintendo might end like sega..)..

Not even close. Why in the world would you think that? Nintendo has BILLIONS of dollars on back-revenue. They could coast with a decade of failures and still be fine. Besides that, from what I've read their 3DS sales are still high (thanks to Pokemon) and their WiiU sales are up 300% (thanks to Smash Bros).

But when developers want, they can do it right. And these are most seen in indie games.

What is "right"? Right and wrong are subjective terms. Hardly a metric of quality.

Not everyone can manage their projects that perfectly, and being alone.

What do you mean by this? Manage on what aspect?

Mr.Iwata almost gave up few years ago. They are trying to sell a lot of different crappy versions of their already existent consoles. Other developers gave up on the Wii you. They are now trying their way on phones as well, maybe in case they can't continue on consoles etc... Fortunately nintendo knows how to make good games. But I don't know if it will last for long from now. And I say that being a fan of nintendo since I'm like 50cm.

Oh please, you talk like my math teacher... I meant doing it the good way..

Manage everything.

By the way, an example of game that failed.
District187. FPS Free to play that became a pay to win/money machine. They didn't listen to feedbacks (a lot made by gamers who know what they are talking about) and that's the principal reason that made it fail. The developers added only content, and never optimised it nor worked on an anti-cheat (there was at least one cheater per server..). They focused on making peoples buy their crappy skins to have ridiculously high boosts.. The ESL didn't even want to make competitions on that game..

Postscript: there's a difference between the bigs and indie developers. The bigs cannot listen to the community and interact with them, they can only make things and hope it'll be okay. The indie developers have most of the time a little fanbase and everything or almost everything can be discussed with maturity

Mr.Iwata almost gave up few years ago.

One individual is not a reflection of a company. Presidents and CEOs are replaceable.

They are now trying their way on phones as well, maybe in case they can't continue on consoles etc

That's not the reason they are exploring mobile markets at all. Do your research before making asinine remarks.

They are trying to sell a lot of different crappy versions of their already existent consoles.

I do not follow. They have two primary video game systems. Both have improved in sales. Their new system is unrelated. What are these "crappy versions of existing consoles" you are speaking of?

Other developers gave up on the Wii you. ... Fortunately nintendo knows how to make good games.

A few AAA studios have, sure. Their intellectual properties seem to be doing well, however. This is largely irrelevant in the broader scope of things. Like I told you in my previous post, they could completely botch sales entirely and still be perfectly afloat as a company for quite some time. Last I checked, Nintendo had about an 11 billion net worth and only about half a billion annual loss (at their worst).

But I don't know if it will last for long from now.

Your entire line of thinking is based on conjecture and propaganda. Instead of just making wild accusations or following online favoritism, try paying attention to actual consumer reports, company announcements, and keynotes from shareholder meetings.

Oh please, you talk like my math teacher... I meant doing it the good way..

You aren't making any sense. What is the "good" way? There is no good and bad in life aside from what an individual/group define it as. Also, please quote whatever you are responding to. It makes it difficult to know what you are referencing otherwise.

Manage everything.

That's vague. Elaborate. Go into detail on what you mean management of.

District187. FPS Free to play that became a pay to win/money machine. They didn't listen to feedbacks (a lot made by gamers who know what they are talking about) and that's the principal reason that made it fail. The developers added only content, and never optimised it nor worked on an anti-cheat (there was at least one cheater per server..). They focused on making peoples buy their crappy skins to have ridiculously high boosts.. The ESL didn't even want to make competitions on that game..

Sounds like a rehashed cash grab. A well planned/designed game doesn't need to cater to active consumer feedback. Can you guess how much back and forth public user input went into Bastion? Braid? Portal 2? Nil. Random steam greenlit games or projects on moddb don't even begin to compare.

If a developer doesn't address critical flaws with their project, they either do not care or simply lack experience.

Postscript: there's a difference between the bigs and indie developers. The bigs cannot listen to the community and interact with them, they can only make things and hope it'll be okay. The indie developers have most of the time a little fanbase and everything or almost everything can be discussed with maturity

That's not even close to absolute. There are plenty of indie studios that are closed doors just as there are several large name ones that have community managers to find the leylines of common complaints.

Why must you fit everything into contrived, generalized categories? Is it just to make them more palpable?

Zeth wrote :

They are trying to sell a lot of different crappy versions of their already existent consoles.

I do not follow. They have two primary video game systems. Both have improved in sales. Their new system is unrelated. What are these "crappy versions of existing consoles" you are speaking of?

As best as I've gathered, there's a common misconception amongst the gaming community that all the WiiU is, is an addon for the Wii. Which it's not. It's a whole new console, with much upgraded capabilities over the previous generation. Alternately, he may be referring to the different colors/bundles/HDD sizes that the system is available in... Which if that is what he's referring to, this is nothing new, and every console maker has been doing the exact same thing for years.

Likewise with the 3DS(although the new 3DS is actually upgraded from the original, and has a faster processor, facial tracking for the 3D functionality, second analogue stick, exc.), it's standard practice in the industry to encourage people to purchase additional versions of the system(such as various limited edition Pokémon or Zelda versions of the 3DS) in order to keep money coming in. This isn't a money grab, it's just Nintendo doing what Nintendo has always done. If the different versions were really that bad, no one would be buying them at all.

Zeth wrote :

Other developers gave up on the Wii you. ... Fortunately nintendo knows how to make good games.

A few AAA studios have, sure. Their intellectual properties seem to be doing well, however. This is largely irrelevant in the broader scope of things. Like I told you in my previous post, they could completely botch sales entirely and still be perfectly afloat as a company for quite some time. Last I checked, Nintendo had about an 11 billion net worth and only about half a billion annual loss (at their worst).

This has been one of the biggest problems for Nintendo for the last few years, but the problem isn't any one company in particular, it's the state of gaming culture in general. A lot of people have fallen into one of four categories.

Gamers
Nintendo Fans
Sony/PlayStation Fans
And Microsoft/Xbox fans

Gamers are the generalized category which aren't really "loyal" to any one system, and will buy any system to play the games on it if they feel the games justify the cost.

Nintendo, PlayStation, and Xbox fans are sometimes more "elitist" in their attitudes towards other consoles, and snub their noses at the competition regardless of what they may have to offer. PlayStation fans, I've noticed, are most notorious for this, and I've had numerous occasions at Gamestop where the employee there attempted to convince me of the greatness of the PlayStation 3, and how I needed to get one, because graphics.

Me~ "How is the game-play-?"
Them~ "OH MY GOODNESS the Graphics are AMAZING!"
Me~ "But what about the game-pla-"
Them~ "Awesome Graphics!"
Me~ "But-"
Them~ "Graphics!"

This was basically the conversation every time... What people like this fail to realize a lot of the time, is that good graphics =/= good games.

Anyways, these types of people have been "choosing sides", and a divide has been growing between these. There's still "gamers" who will try all three systems, don't get me wrong, but there are some people who will refuse to even give another console a chance. I had a co-worker a few years ago who refused to listen to anything I said in the WiiU's defense, and only kept making rude gestures with his hand emulating what he thought the Wiimote was used for... Never mind that he was a PlayStation 3 fanboi and Sony basically ripped Nintendo off for the idea of motion controllers that look nearly the same(save the lacking ice-cream scoop on the top...), but he didn't seem to think about it like that...

Add on top of that the wide gap between when the Wii, PlayStation 3, and Xbox 360 were first launched, and the next generation was released. Traditional Console lifespans were roughly 3-5 years originally. It's been so long since the last console cycle had started, that a lot of people don't remember how it goes with a new generation. One of the biggest complaints I saw about the WiiU originally, aside from people thinking it was just an addon, was that there were not very many games available for it. Of course there weren't. There weren't very many games for the PlayStation 3 or Xbox 360 either when they first launched. And people who were saying that Nintendo is dead because of it, started making the exact same complaints about the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 once they released...

Anyways, long story short, the game industry as a whole has somewhat lost its sense of itself from how it use to be, and some segments are still attempting to adapt. The Indie market, which has a large presence on mobile devices, has shaken the industry as a whole, and now bigger developers want to get in on the action. Nintendo expanding to mobile devices is a chance for them to get more money, more public exposure, and release things they might not otherwise consider making for their consoles. It's not a bad sign, it's a good sign. It means they see the way the market is changing, and are adapting to it.

Reply with quote Monday, May 11, 2015

Added some basic pathing mechanics to the NPCs so that they'll follow a pre-determined customizable spline(path) in a continuous loop. They don't stop or do anything else yet, but one thing at a time...

http://youtu.be/8B8-45KB5lA

Acaryus Cutting-Edge View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Sweet animations.
I'm really starting to like it. The game looks good thus far! Also digging the giant teapot! Smile

Reply with quote Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Great progress! Shocked

Very promising. Very Happy

<<  1, 2, 3  >>

Actions

Online [ 0 / 6125]