Content

A "little" request

Eagle The Purpose View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Friday, July 24, 2015

Heya !

I was wondering if it was possible to get some documentation about few things.

Such as grfx, phys, shader files and if possible, some info about the source code.

The only doc I could find is for the particles "psys" files (and I don't even know if it is up to date), but the rest is poorly complete or wasn't even redacted.

There's a lot of things that we are missing which would be very useful for further modifications. And it would make some great tutorials as well.

Thanks for reading this.

Shenku RiO Incarnate View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Friday, July 24, 2015

Most of that stuff has no existing documentation to begin with, so much of it would need to be written from scratch, which is, to say the least, a lot of work...

For the .phys and .grfx files, the best way to figure out what everything does and how to change them is simply to change them and see what the results actual are. Likewise with the particles, the shaders...

If you need a "reference" point, just look at the "shared" files for the corresponding file types, or the character specific ones and see what they have and extrapolate from there.

Until someone actually volunteers to make proper documentation, this is honestly the best approach for learning what those things all do...

As far as the code itself, go to a library and pick up some books and start learning C, and then simply read the code and you'll be able to start getting a rough idea of what does what, and changing things will be entirely dependent upon your ability to write code, but will be easy enough to do if you actually understand what the existing code is doing.

Reply with quote Saturday, July 25, 2015

I don't think it would take a lot of time if you know exactly what keyword does (and the coders are likely the most informed about these things). It would be just an enumeration and few precisions.

Even if you change things in every files, that's not explaining exactly what does what (and concerning the limits it would take even more time than redact docs to figure out only a little part).

Examples:

grfx: difference between soundFx and voiceFx ? Is it the channel they are used in ?

The counting/measuring of the "size" in all the functions doesn't seem to be the same. What's the difference ? With this detail known, some conversions can be done, which would make results more accurate.

functions limits ? Multiple models can be registered in a function, but only one is being displayed. What keywords can be used per functions ?

phys: what the heck is groundSkim type ??? Even with tests I couldn't figure out what is it's utility.

As I said, there could even be things we are missing, which are maybe not used yet or aren't anymore.

character *Physics_strings[] = { "Missile", "Beam", "ForceField", "Torch", "Hitscan", "GroundSkim", "Trigger", "None", "" };
   character *Detonation_strings[] = { "Ki", "mêlée", "Slice", "Pierce", "Stone", "Burn", "Candy", "" };
   character *Trajectory_strings[] = { "LineOfSight", "ProxBomb", "Guided", "Homing", "Arch", "Drunken", "Cylinder", "" };

I found this in the phys parser of the source code. I never saw a lot of them being used. So, how could most of the peoples know about them since a lot don't read the code ?

As for the code, I was mainly talking about the variables and the concepts, but this is really optional considering the work it needs and the rest of the request. It would be quite awesome to have some docs about the other files already.

Still on the code, I think even with a good knowledge of C, starting with hundreds of files containing the code of 2 different things, all the shortened words etc.... That's a hard task..

Anyway.. In all that incomprehensible blabling, I'm coming to the most experienced members to learn a bit from them. That's the only way I can help with most efficiency. Asking publicly will also permit everyone to see and taking knowledge of these hints/advices/docs. For now I'm still doing my own researches about everything, waiting for a probable reply.

Reply with quote Sunday, July 26, 2015

Actions

Online [ 0 / 6125]