Content

ioquake3 real shadows and realtime shadows

qwerty In Advance View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Sunday, August 09, 2015

In the test build you can enable the OpenGL2 renderer.

I am just curious to know if they work on ZEQ2-Lite.

I tested it on Bid For Power and it works well!

OpenGL2 is an alternate renderer for ioquake3. It aims to implement modern features and technologies into the id tech 3 engine, but without sacrificing compatibility with existing Quake 3 mods.

FEATURES

Compatible with most vanilla Quake 3 mods.
HDR Rendering, and support for HDR lightmaps
Tone mapping and auto-exposure.
Cascaded shadow maps.
Multisample anti-aliasing.
Texture upsampling.
Advanced materials support.
Advanced shading and specular methods.
LATC and BPTC texture compression support.
Screen-space ambient occlusion.

more info

Some tests with antialiasing, real shadows etc...

Majin Jake View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Monday, August 10, 2015

No
No
No

Zeth The Admin View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Monday, August 10, 2015

Sadly, ZEQ2-lite uses a pretty heavily modified engine source. It is anything but "vanilla". Realtime shadow-mapping has been standard in games/engines for a good 10+ years, but the features would have to be ported over in this case.

Eagle The Purpose View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Looking good, but I don't know if it would fit with the "graphic style" ZEQ2-Lite is using.

Also, good look for importing these features into ZEQ2-Lite's modified engine. Laughing

qwerty In Advance View user's profile Send private message

Zeth wrote : Sadly, ZEQ2-lite uses a pretty heavily modified engine source. It is anything but "vanilla". Realtime shadow-mapping has been standard in games/engines for a good 10+ years, but the features would have to be ported over in this case.

Really a shame, I hope one day someone brings ZEQ2-Lite on the Unreal Engine 4. The id Tech 3 is now too old and limited. Unity it's good but the UE4 (see the amateur projects) seems most suitable and easier.

Zeth The Admin View user's profile Send private message

Really a shame, I hope one day someone brings ZEQ2-Lite on the Unreal Engine 4. The id Tech 3 is now too old and limited. Unity it's good but the UE4 (see the amateur projects) seems most suitable and easier.

Unreal 4 and Unity 5 are fairly comparable and both have pros and cons as far as developmental ease goes. Both have shortcomings, but you'd be more likely to see something 'official' pop up on Unity well before Unreal due to the fact that we have years of experience under our belt with it and an actual inhouse framework for shaders, materials, networking, assets, and logic flow.

I'd love to see a bulleted "breakdown" of what actual Unreal users feel are real advantages versus Unity in another thread.

Eagle The Purpose View user's profile Send private message

I should try this unreal engine one day.. I wonder how different it is from unity.

Actions

Online [ 0 / 6125]