Content

Junk forum utility

Eagle The Purpose View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Thursday, October 22, 2015

In this thread, I want to discuss about the junk forum utility with the forums managers team.

Shortly, and how I understand it, the junk forum was made (maybe without a lot of thinking behind, but I will cover that a bit later*) to move unnecessary threads from the main forums, not respecting the rules and/or off topic subjects.

*But at the end, is it really useful ? Plus, considering the environment it is in ? Why don't moderators have full rights on the threads management ?

Moderators with removing/moving/editing powers would be better on every points than a "trash" like forum, here for nothing.

It's pretty much my opinion about it. Now waiting for debating about it, and probably some alternatives.

leogone View user's profile Send private message

Having the ability to delete a topic is way more useful I must say.

And I agree with the fact that mods' should have full rights, as Wh1t34Gl3(SAS) said it might be easier to have moderators with Editing/Removing/Moving rights, instead of moving a topic to the Junk Forum.

Of course this is just my opinion~

Shenku RiO Incarnate View user's profile Send private message

Firstly, it's Brad's board, we run it how he wants it run, and he doesn't like us deleting posts for any reason. He's even told me on several occasions that he'd rather just leave a thread than delete it, because if a similar topic comes up again, people could in theory search for the pre existing thread and utilize that rather than creating a redundant thread on the forums that doesn't really need to exist. Of course the entire problem with this, is too many people keep coming here, largely because of the unofficial ModDB page, and are too lazy to actually use the search function first...

Secondly, for moderation purposes, it's actually better to keep an existing copy of a post by an individual for future reference in case its relevance becomes necessary at some later point in time. For instance, if someone repeatedly makes a lot of spammy or insulting posts, we can keep track of how many times said individual violated the rules or was just being an obnoxious Namekian Goat Herder, so we better know when it's actually necessary to hit someone with the good 'ol banhammer. Plus, it gives us something to go off of, behavior wise, for identifying potential banees who are trying to skirt the rules and site restrictions to come back under different user names. Most notably, Andy, for those who are still here that remember him, who was so bad his name got added to the forum filter...

Thirdly, it's mod business anyways, and shouldn't even be a concern of yours in the first place. Just let us worry about it. I suppose we could theoretically hide the Junk forum from non-moderators, but of course, that goes back to point one, about this being Brad's site to run how he wants, and I'm not sure if there's some other reason for why he wants the Junk forum visible... Either way, don't concern yourself with it, it's called "Junk" for a reason... Stop going through our trash, and just ignore it like normal people... Razz

Zeth The Admin View user's profile Send private message

If I had the time, I'd finish off the CMS I started working on in 2007 and port the forums to that with a SLEW more features and better management all around. Until I can grab another web developer or two to help, we're stuck with this ancient, heavily modified phpbb2 installation.

The reason that posts aren't deleted are mostly covered by Shenku, but I'll clarify and add more to the rationale pot.

Deleted posts/users have no trace and provide no history. It's difficult to keep track of spamming users or know trending unaccepted topics at a glance if a thread/post is entirely removed. The reason the Junk Forum exists (and is visible) is so spiders/users can search and see exactly what kind of topics are (and were) frowned upon at a period in time.

Keeping a singular, existing topic on a subject is the ideal scenario regardless of post dates. Can this be accomplished right now? Yes. Is it streamlined or practical (considering slightly variable subjects)? Not entirely.

I'm completely open for other options that preserve board integrity to the points above, but majority of them will mean extra work for us -- time we really don't have to invest.

Eagle The Purpose View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Friday, October 23, 2015

>Shenku

Firstly, it's Brad's board, we run it how he wants it run

Doesn't prevent from any discussions about it. :p

He's even told me on several occasions that he'd rather just leave a thread than delete it, because if a similar topic comes up again, people could in theory search for the pre existing thread and utilize that rather than creating a redundant thread on the forums that doesn't really need to exist.

It applies for the the main forums, plus the importance factor of the specific thread. But we are talking about the junk forum. Filled of... Junk ?

Secondly, for moderation purposes, it's actually better to keep an existing copy of a post by an individual for future reference in case its relevance becomes necessary at some later point in time.

The only utility I see for this, is to link these proofs/quotes/refs as arguments for a pre-high five debate.. Which, is not really useful in itself.. :\

Thirdly, it's mod business anyways, and shouldn't even be a concern of yours in the first place. Just let us worry about it.

Since it's visible to basic members, as one, nothing prevents me to discuss about it and/or the system, as long as there is an intelligent discussion and some thinking behind, which makes probable some improvements (even if chances are almost non-existent in my case), I believe it isn't really troublesome. :p

I suppose we could theoretically hide the Junk forum from non-moderators, but of course, that goes back to point one, about this being Brad's site to run how he wants, and I'm not sure if there's some other reason for why he wants the Junk forum visible...

Well, since this trash.bin seems to be useful, at least to the moderators, it would be preferable and probably the best way to solve the "problem".

Either way, don't concern yourself with it, it's called "Junk" for a reason... Stop going through our trash, and just ignore it like normal people... Razz

No needs to go really far to know I'm not really normal. Just look at my icon. :p

>Zeth

If I had the time, I'd finish off the CMS I started working on in 2007 and port the forums to that with a SLEW more features and better management all around. Until I can grab another web developer or two to help, we're stuck with this ancient, heavily modified phpbb2 installation.

The only place where I found an official "needed jobs" post (obviously related to ZEQ2(/-Lite)) was on the moddb page. It included unity, and web developers, which I suppose, stick to the actual needs. Remember when I said the forums/site needs more extravaganza and some specific demands, with red blinking messages windows, explosions effects, over nine thousand images etc.. so peoples would know about certain information ? There's a great example. :p

But I guess the answer will be ZEQ2-Lite's importance among other things...

Deleted posts/users have no trace and provide no history. It's difficult to keep track of spamming users or know trending unaccepted topics at a glance if a thread/post is entirely removed.

They don't need to, once deleted/released, end of story. Except for arguments purpose, the moved messages aren't really useful.

As for the trend of unaccepted topics, aren't the rules at the beginning of each forums covering them (or supposed to ?) ?

It's one more reason for everyone to read them.

Keeping a singular, existing topic on a subject is the ideal scenario regardless of post dates. Can this be accomplished right now? Yes. Is it streamlined or practical (considering slightly variable subjects)? Not entirely.

But it's another thing, concerning useful (more or less) threads.

I'm completely open for other options that preserve board integrity to the points above, but majority of them will mean extra work for us -- time we really don't have to invest.

A lot of things related to ZEQ2 is made by contributors. As it is for the development, asking for some help isn't forbidden. :p

The only other alternative except everything mentioned is paying a professional to make/remake the site/forum, and I guess it's off limit...

Actions

Online [ 0 / 6125]