Content

Dragonball Z Xenoverse 2

Shenku RiO Incarnate View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Granted it just came out today, but anyone else pick this up yet? So far it's not bad, but it's still very button-mashy as Dragonball Z games go... Story seems okay so far (up to the Frieza saga currently), but the tutorials are really overdone, and the difficulty curve is about as bad as the previous game if you forget to keep up with leveling your character before progressing through the story, but otherwise I think it's okay so far....

Anyone else try it yet?

Grega Perpetual Traveler View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Tuesday, November 01, 2016

Compared to the previous one. How different is it mechanically?

Eagle The Purpose View user's profile Send private message

From what I have seen of it, it went through a certain amount of improvements. They seem to have taken this one pretty seriously. Graphically, mechanically, accuracy-wise, "open-world", everything got a little update. After, a certain amount of content is obviously taken from the first, but that isn't much of a bad thing in the context.

My brother showed me that Yamucha-berserk yesterday, that was a good bet from the developers. Razz

Eagle wrote : From what I have seen of it, it went through a certain amount of improvements. They seem to have taken this one pretty seriously. Graphically, mechanically, accuracy-wise, "open-world", everything got a little update. After, a certain amount of content is obviously taken from the first, but that isn't much of a bad thing in the context.

My brother showed me that Yamucha-berserk yesterday, that was a good bet from the developers. Razz

Pretty much this from what I've experienced so far.

mêlée combos are a bit more refined and less likely to miss because of a few feet of distance like the previous game, although it does still happen. Although insome cases it happens more frequently as you use a dodge/Zanzoken to teleport around behind the opponent and immediately start throwing punches/kicks behind you instead of at the target from holding the directional stick the wrong way...

Super Saiyan forms no longer give the user unlimited Ki for super/ultimate skills, and instead just change the effect/ability of skills. Example: some charge attacks such as Vegeta's Gallick Gun or Piccolo's Evil Blast Zanzoken you next to or near your target on a full charge, which in some ways I think is worse in terms of balance than the unlimited Ki from the first game. Also still has some stat boosts, but not over the top or anything. A change I did like though, is you don't simply "buy" Super Saiyan, or loot it from specific missions, but rather earn it by doing a specific mission once you get to level 40. On the down side, I didn't like that all 3 forms were unlocked all at once, they really should have been earned separately to follow the progression of the anime as an example.

Story still suffers from some difficulty curve spikes, mostly caused by going through the story too quickly and not stopping to apply your ability points from leveling up, or grinding out levels from PQs. Story also felt like it was a lot shorter and ended more abruptly than the previous game, which was only made worse by the fact that the end game boss in this one was a huge pushover compared to fighting Demigra in the first game. I only had to stop going through the main story once to level up before continuing, and that was only for the last chapter where it strongly recommended I be 2 levels higher before continuing, but I think I probably could have gotten by anyways.

Graphics look about the same, but performance seems a little better, though it's hard to judge for certain since I played the first game on my crappy laptop and the second one on my Xbox One...

The new "hub" city is much bigger now, with nearly no loading screens, lots more NPCs to get lacking in identifiable function dialogue from, but on the plus side all possible mentors are ALWAYS present in Conton city, unlike the extremely random appearance rates in the first game's hub, and they're most always in the same places, so you can always find them when you want to learn their skills. Which brings me to another improvement over the previous game, where unlike before, you can learn from any mentor without having to change your current instructor. As an example, a couple days ago, while I was still Vegeta's pupil, I went and learned all the skills from Goku. Also note, despite all the trailers making it seem like you can fly around the city hub from the start, they actually don't let you until you complete the Frieza saga in the main story.

There are some very MMO like elements now though, such as mini raids (known as "rifts in time" which are different from other rifts in time in the hub, and are either multiplayer or single player with NPCs to fill in for the other players), and "daily" styled missions (such as feeding Majin Buu to have him make children who you then feed as well to get various loot depending on what color they are...) which aren't really limited to once a day, but there's a bit of a delay before you can repeat most of them.

Most of the clothing options from the previous game still seem to be there, although some are able to be purchased now instead of only looted from PQs, although some seem like they might only be random drops from items you can pick up wondering around the city hub, or get for completing specific missions inside the rifts in time areas.

Vehicles are kind of pointless once you unlock flying, and there doesn't seem to be a way to get or buy additional ones in the game outside of DLC... Black Goku is kind of intellectually lacking as well, as far as DLC goes at the moment, but that might be mostly because I've only used him as an NPC ally, and the ally AI seems to be more abysmal than the previous game...

As far as multiplayer versus, or server stability/performance, I can't judge since I've only played the "solo" instance of the game so far, but I have been booted from the server a few times for no apparent reason, and the game has crashed a few times with seemingly nothing in common between each instance of it crashing, but it was the initial release build of the game, and they just released a patch which I haven't tried yet, so those issues may have been fixed.

Overall, I'd give the game a 7.5 out of 10. It makes some good faith efforts to improve over the previous game, but suffers in some areas where things could have been done better. The story, while good, was a little underwhelming and felt largely like a reskinned rehash of the previous game's story until around the second half of it. The combat feels a lot cleaner and smoother, but you'll still be firing the occasional Kamehameha at the ground for no reason when your target moves 1 second after you start charging, or more often, fire it straight at them only for the AI to neatly sidestep it like nothing. Much of the difficulty of the previous game seems to be gone, and now it feels like fights are sometimes so easy they end much quicker than story dialogue is actually played, interrupting the narrative for a loading screen into the next cutscene. Most of this is easy to overlook though because of how much more fun this game was compared to some Dragonball games that I've played which were much much more difficult than necessary.

On a final note, if the Supreme Kai of Time ever offers you pudding, politely decline.

najeeb My Sir View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Wednesday, November 02, 2016

my 2 cents will be

it felt allot more like the PlayStation 2 tenkaichi games for some reason , compared to the first

TheXenon View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Monday, November 07, 2016

After buying the first one I don't think I'll be giving the second one a shot. Not really feeling the fighting game style compared to other fighting games like SFV for example.

Reply with quote Tuesday, November 08, 2016

TheXenon wrote : After buying the first one I don't think I'll be giving the second one a shot. Not really feeling the fighting game style compared to other fighting games like SFV for example.

If you're playing a Dragonball game expecting it to play like a Street Fighter game, then you're not giving it a fair chance. It's not supposed to be a fighting game like Street Fighter or Mortal Kombat for that matter, it's always been trying to find its own style, and nearly every series of games plays differently.

Dragonball games are mostly about fast paced combat and flashy moves, Street Fighter is mostly about tactics and timing combos, and then there's Mortal Kombat which is all about gory visuals and ridiculous finishing moves. Playing one while expecting it to be like the other is like getting a cat and expecting it to act like a dog. It might happen on occasion, but shouldn't be expected as the norm just because they both walk on four legs and have tails.

ESFER25 View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Thursday, November 10, 2016

I bought it on Steam and I'm having a blast. I mean, it's not perfect by any means, but I don't think I've had so much fun since Budokai 3 and that one is my favorite Dragon Ball Z game, it's that good Smile

Xenoverse was a rough diamond, it had a lot of potential but it also felt like an unfinished product, the game really needed polishing. Well, that's what Xenoverse 2 is, essentially Xenoverse 1 but more of it and better, in every way really.

At first it looks like the combat hasn't changed much, but once you start doing Elder Kai's missions (basically an optional tutorial) you'll learn that there's so much more to it, and trust me, you'll notice once you get to the tougher missions and/or play multiplayer. It feels better AND they've added a lot of interesting mechanics.

All the spammy nonsense the first one had, the infuriating RNG, the fact that the game forced you to wear certain clothes if you wanted good stats, the completely unfair bosses... All of this has been fixed, the game feels balanced and the QQ Bang system is a great addition.

Then again, as I said it's not perfect. There are some secondary quests that can get quite tedious (looking at you, Nail), expert missions have some nasty bugs and, well, that's about it as far as big flaws go.

I still have some minor complaints like Super Saiyan CaCs not having spiky hair, but overall the game is good, they really hit the nail on the head this time.

Reply with quote Tuesday, November 15, 2016

ESFER25 wrote : I bought it on Steam and I'm having a blast. I mean, it's not perfect by any means, but I don't think I've had so much fun since Budokai 3 and that one is my favorite Dragon Ball Z game, it's that good Smile

Xenoverse was a rough diamond, it had a lot of potential but it also felt like an unfinished product, the game really needed polishing. Well, that's what Xenoverse 2 is, essentially Xenoverse 1 but more of it and better, in every way really.

Basically, yeah. Xenoverse 2 is what they should have released for the first one.

At first it looks like the combat hasn't changed much, but once you start doing Elder Kai's missions (basically an optional tutorial) you'll learn that there's so much more to it, and trust me, you'll notice once you get to the tougher missions and/or play multiplayer. It feels better AND they've added a lot of interesting mechanics.

All the spammy nonsense the first one had, the infuriating RNG, the fact that the game forced you to wear certain clothes if you wanted good stats, the completely unfair bosses... All of this has been fixed, the game feels balanced and the QQ Bang system is a great addition.

The QQ Bang system is nice, but largely random and may take a few tries to get the result you're after, which can be time consuming and potentially expensive depending on what you're trying to make. And some spam that was in the first game that was removed in this one was only replaced with other forms of spammy nuisances... But the RNG isn't as bad in 2 as it was in 1, so some of it balances out.

Then again, as I said it's not perfect. There are some secondary quests that can get quite tedious (looking at you, Nail), expert missions have some nasty bugs and, well, that's about it as far as big flaws go.

Feeding Buu to have him make his family, that one gets boring real quick when you end up just flying around Conton City for hours just looking for food items.... Although Nail's constantly needing help does make that one rather tedious, and I end up ignoring it a lot once I had gotten the 125 ability point unlock, and the egg from that area.

I still have some minor complaints like Super Saiyan CaCs not having spiky hair, but overall the game is good, they really hit the nail on the head this time.

This is probably still one of my biggest complaints. If they can give us Super Saiyan 3 hair, why couldn't they have done 1 or 2 as well to distinguish it from base form better, or for that matter, why no SSG or SSG-Blue when they clearly put enemies into the story, like Beerus or Golden Frieza that might have warranted a need for the forms? It's not like it would have been hard to do, and I mean, they gave Frieza Race the Golden form, so what the heck... Sorry, kind of ranting, but it just irks me that they overlooked something so obvious, unless they're saving them for DLC down the road...

TheXenon View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Saturday, January 09, 2021

Shenku wrote :

TheXenon wrote : After buying the first one I don't think I'll be giving the second one a shot. Not really feeling the fighting game style compared to other fighting games like SFV for example.

If you're playing a Dragonball game expecting it to play like a Street Fighter game, then you're not giving it a fair chance. It's not supposed to be a fighting game like Street Fighter or Mortal Kombat for that matter, it's always been trying to find its own style, and nearly every series of games plays differently.

Dragonball games are mostly about fast paced combat and flashy moves, Street Fighter is mostly about tactics and timing combos, and then there's Mortal Kombat which is all about gory visuals and ridiculous finishing moves. Playing one while expecting it to be like the other is like getting a cat and expecting it to act like a dog. It might happen on occasion, but shouldn't be expected as the norm just because they both walk on four legs and have tails.

Necro bump but yeah, Arksys made what I was longing for in Dragonball Fighterz afterall. Razz

Actions

Online [ 0 / 6125]