Content

1, 2  >>

Let's play Budokai Tenkaichi 3!

Domitjen The Champ View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Tuesday, November 15, 2016

Disclaimer: Roms are illegal and you should only have them when you have the real physical disks at home.

Alright, so now that all the legal issues are out of the way let me talk about what I mean.

I've been playing months Dragonball z tenkaichi 3 online against other people from all over the world without any latency or desync.

I've been able to do that because I wanted to play this game in Virtual Reality in an app called Bigscreen.

In this app you can sit next to each other and actually see each other play, and this is what makes this so amazing. (You also hear them, see their head,hands and body language, simply fascinating)

BUT of course people don't need to have VR to play a good match Dragon Ball Z on their pc and that's why I want to share this guide I made.

It contains all the settings you need on the Dolphin emulator to get a netplay setting going. All these settings only need to have been set once by both players, then you are good for a lifetime plug & play batteling!

So what do you need?

* Dolphin 5.0 (Wii emulator)
* Dragon Ball Z tenkaichi 3 rom (this must be exactly the same as the person you want to play against, so ntsc or pal must be the same.

* Dolphin settings
* A gamepad (xbox controller or something)

* A mic is handy for a more internetlobby setup with your opponent and adds a lot of fun in game!

Alright so here is the guide for dolphin settings, I spend days with a guy looking for the right settings without having desync and all that..so I hope you guys enjoy it!

https://www.docdroid.net/hujG6Ql/dolphin-netplay-guide.rtf.html

Postscript: there are a lot of references to that Virtual Reality app called "Bigscreen" just ignore them if you want to play on a regular monitor.

Reply with quote Monday, December 05, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxi1HarDlBc&t=3s

Zeth The Admin View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Monday, December 05, 2016

Heh. Title seems a little misleading. Playing a game on a virtual screen in a virtual theater isn't quite the same as playing in an actual virtual perspective.

You should drop by and idle in Discord sometime, Domitjen.
Your name keeps popping up a lot.

Reply with quote Tuesday, December 13, 2016

Zeth wrote : Heh. Title seems a little misleading. Playing a game on a virtual screen in a virtual theater isn't quite the same as playing in an actual virtual perspective.

Well, I am actually playing Dragon Ball Z in a virtual enviroment. And this is one heck of a way to fight friends. It's the resurrection of lan partys with this app. Not only dragonball z, but super smash brawl,soul calibur,mario kart,every game is playable with a 3D side by side effect while being next to your virtual friends, hearing and seeing them in realtime.

Eagle The Purpose View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Tuesday, December 13, 2016

Sounds like a lot of fun!

Reply with quote Wednesday, December 14, 2016

Eagle wrote : Sounds like a lot of fun!

You have no idea. The screen we are playing on in the youtube video appears for us as an IMAX sized cinema screen.

Shenku RiO Incarnate View user's profile Send private message

Domitjen wrote :

Zeth wrote : Heh. Title seems a little misleading. Playing a game on a virtual screen in a virtual theater isn't quite the same as playing in an actual virtual perspective.

Well, I am actually playing Dragon Ball Z in a virtual enviroment. And this is one heck of a way to fight friends. It's the resurrection of lan partys with this app. Not only dragonball z, but super smash brawl,soul calibur,mario kart,every game is playable with a 3D side by side effect while being next to your virtual friends, hearing and seeing them in realtime.

Just doesn't sound the same to me. Nothing will ever be able to replace seeing the expression on a friend's face when you nail them with a rocket in Halo, or pass them at the last second racing for the finish line in Mario Kart. Body language can only translate emotions so well without being able to see their face too, and voice chat always seems to have problems when more than one person is talking. As cool of an idea as it is, it just won't be the same unless they do facial expression tracking as well.

And I'm with Brad, the title is a little misleading. Seriously, there should be a First Person VR Dragonball Z game by now... OR if not, why aren't we making one? We have enough people here to do one if we pooled our resources on a single project like that... Not that I'm saying we should, just that we could...

Shenku wrote :

Domitjen wrote :

Just doesn't sound the same to me. Nothing will ever be able to replace seeing the expression on a friend's face when you nail them with a rocket in Halo, or pass them at the last second racing for the finish line in Mario Kart. Body language can only translate emotions so well without being able to see their face too, and voice chat always seems to have problems when more than one person is talking. As cool of an idea as it is, it just won't be the same unless they do facial expression tracking as well.

And I'm with Brad, the title is a little misleading. Seriously, there should be a First Person VR Dragonball Z game by now... OR if not, why aren't we making one? We have enough people here to do one if we pooled our resources on a single project like that... Not that I'm saying we should, just that we could...

I totally understand why you say this, but it's really something that needs to be experienced to know how it looks like. Indeed, I'll agree with you, there is no replacer for being with real friends and playing a game together.

But as we get older, this isn't the case anymore, and many games I was such a fan of, for example Tenkaichi 3, just literally died off, My friends I have now are not exactly the friends to play Dragon Ball Z games with, and even then, not a lot of people have these games anymore, let alone coach or netplay.

The moment I discovered what was possible in Virtual reality, I started to play tenkaichi 3 alone in Bigscreen, just against bots and opponents. Until one day another guy joined in, who was like me, a vivid Dragon Ball Z fan, my age, my sense of humor and so on. So we added each other on steam (you can go straight to their profiles in that app)

We spend 2 days figuring out how to get this going with the entire dolphin / bigscreen / netplay combination, and once we did figure it out, oh man, what a joy.

We ended up playing the entire night. We couldn't believe it, after all these years, we both were playing a childhood game we both enjoyed that much. It was really as if we were in a cinema playing this game together.

At this point, my buddy and I spend weeks in Bigscreen, so we got used to each other avatar, the way we interact , talk, even a little body language.

The more we spend playing, the more it feels like real, you start really loosing up, treating each other as a friend, giving them trash if you are loosing and feeling high and mighty if we are winning.

So we started hosting Rooms, where other people could see us play. Once in a while another vivid Dragon Ball Z fan joined in and couldn't believe what he was seeing. He joined a random room in Vr, and 2 guys were playing Dragon Ball Z.

So he immediatly asked how we did this, and we made an entire guide for everyone asking, and adding each other on steam.

6 months later, I have 150+ steam friends all willing to play Dragon Ball Z together whenever I log on on my pc.

Meanwhile, I can't find friends on Xbox Live to play Xenoverse 2 with...

Don't get me wrong, I still think it's neat and wouldn't mind trying such a thing myself once I manage to save up enough for a VR headset. I just also think an actual VR Dragonball Z game would be awesome as well.

Reply with quote Thursday, December 15, 2016

Shenku wrote : Meanwhile, I can't find friends on Xbox Live to play Xenoverse 2 with...

Don't get me wrong, I still think it's neat and wouldn't mind trying such a thing myself once I manage to save up enough for a VR headset. I just also think an actual VR Dragonball Z game would be awesome as well.

Yeah it would, but I wonder how they would handle that..with the fast paced action and all that:p

Oh and if you want to fight someone, you don't NEED vr to play tk3 online. If you want to, I can set it up entirely for you on pc, and all we have to do then is do some voice chat and jump in the internetlobby and kick buttocks!

Reply with quote Thursday, December 15, 2016

Domitjen wrote :
Yeah it would, but I wonder how they would handle that..with the fast paced action and all that:p

I imagine some of it being handled similar to Epic Games' Bullet Train VR demo, I.e. utilizing static teleport-to points, bullet time dilation, and rudimentary motion controls, or what have you. Would need tweaking to be optimal, especially for factoring in mêlée combat, but it would work fairly well for all the Ki-based attacks. The big problem for VR if giving full movement control to the player, would be overcoming motion sickness issues common from such VR simulations. Which is why Bullet Train used teleporting instead of traditional movement.

Oh and if you want to fight someone, you don't NEED vr to play tk3 online. If you want to, I can set it up entirely for you on pc, and all we have to do then is do some voice chat and jump in the internetlobby and kick buttocks!

Maybe some other time, I was never very good at the Tenkaichi games... AI always whooped my buttocks so bad in the first 2 games, I never even tried the 3rd one. Xenoverse 1 and 2 have been much more forgiving of my poor fighting game skills, seeing as how most of what I do is blindly button mash...

Reply with quote Friday, December 16, 2016

Shenku wrote :

Domitjen wrote :

I imagine some of it being handled similar to Epic Games' Bullet Train VR demo, I.e. utilizing static teleport-to points, bullet time dilation, and rudimentary motion controls, or what have you. Would need tweaking to be optimal, especially for factoring in mêlée combat, but it would work fairly well for all the Ki-based attacks. The big problem for VR if giving full movement control to the player, would be overcoming motion sickness issues common from such VR simulations. Which is why Bullet Train used teleporting instead of traditional movement.

Maybe some other time, I was never very good at the Tenkaichi games... AI always whooped my buttocks so bad in the first 2 games, I never even tried the 3rd one. Xenoverse 1 and 2 have been much more forgiving of my poor fighting game skills, seeing as how most of what I do is blindly button mash...

Don't worry..when you fight against me in tk3 enough, you'll get real good anyway:p

Amazing you are talking about Bullet Train, I just tried it out, and it's simply amazing. The visuals,physics,gameplay. Can't wait for the full game to come out, and it's going to be free!

I had no idea you were in the VR bubble as well.
I don't know if you know about "Onward" , but they use traditional locomotion, and it's one of the best selling steamvr games right now, and simply amazing. Motion sickness disappears completely when you are having your hands in VR.

although I never really was prone to VR sickness. But that's what the general consensus seems to be.

I'm only partially in the bubble by proximity, because half the major updates to Unreal Engine 4 lately have been VR features. Aside from that, I've been trying to keep apprised of the tech as it evolves for if/when I can try making something myself.

Edit: And I think Bullet Train was just a tech demo to showcase UE4's VR features, I don't recall them saying it would be a full game. But what I've seen of it does look fun.

Shenku wrote : I'm only partially in the bubble by proximity, because half the major updates to Unreal Engine 4 lately have been VR features. Aside from that, I've been trying to keep apprised of the tech as it evolves for if/when I can try making something myself.

Edit: And I think Bullet Train was just a tech demo to showcase UE4's VR features, I don't recall them saying it would be a full game. But what I've seen of it does look fun.

The game based on the tech demo is "Robo Recall"

Baldwin Lost Soul View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Tuesday, December 27, 2016

Or the game can be handled like the unspoken

Reply with quote Wednesday, December 28, 2016

Baldwin wrote : Or the game can be handled like the unspoken

Why haven't we played tk3 together in Bigscreen man!

and yeah, perhaps something like the unspoken, although that could feel restricted.

Reply with quote Saturday, January 07, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QweYikZFrJU&t=6s

Domitjen vs Newgroundsman Fight 2 !

This has been recorded in Bigscreen Beta. This is an virtual reality app which makes it possible to join in with other people around the world and have lan partys!

This has been played on the Dolphin emulator which makes it possible to play Wii/gamecube games against other people in the world.

This video is best being watched in Virtual Desktop or Bigscreen Beta which allows you to enable the Side by Side 3D in your headset.

On regular youtube however, you will see 2 seperate images for each eye.
[/url]

Reply with quote Thursday, May 25, 2017

https://youtu.be/BZhuvUqIEj8

Reply with quote Friday, May 26, 2017

Can't really make out the screen and it looks like the aspect ratio is stretched on the "projection". Doing a game within a game (VR theater) like this just seems to minimize the viewable area and add unnecessary shakiness/jutter to the focus point.

What's the purpose/benefit?

Reply with quote Sunday, May 28, 2017

Zeth wrote : Can't really make out the screen and it looks like the aspect ratio is stretched on the "projection". Doing a game within a game (VR theater) like this just seems to minimize the viewable area and add unnecessary shakiness/jutter to the focus point.

What's the purpose/benefit?

Seeing me having fun.

Seeing me having fun.

Right. That would be the benefit of the picture-in-picture camera and the voicover. That makes sense. What's the benefit of the projected theater environment and stretched image, however? What are the advantages of it over having a proper aspect ratio, non-shaky presentation, and full screen coverage?

Zeth wrote :

Seeing me having fun.

Right. That would be the benefit of the picture-in-picture camera and the voicover. That makes sense. What's the benefit of the projected theater environment and stretched image, however? What are the advantages of it over having a proper aspect ratio, non-shaky presentation, and full screen coverage?

There are none, but I have currently no other way to do it. This is not just recording the game Budokai Tenkaichi 3, this is recording inside a Virtual reality application which is only viewable inside the hmd itself.

The cinema enviroment does not get mirrored to main display, so the only way to record that footage is to use a program called vrcapture to record in game side by side 3D.

Problem with that is, when seeing a recording on sbs 3D, means there are 2 halves on the screen, instead of 1 solid screen with a decent aspect ratio..you can compare it to my screen being split in 2 but both sides show the full enviroment.

These recordings can only be used in vr apps such as bigscreen beta where you can rewatch those fights and create a side by side effect with a shortcut.

But because I make let's play videos and not expect my audience to have a hmd to watch sbs3d videos on, I need to stretch one half of the recording to an entire frame when editing my videos. There is currently no other way of recording or this would result in an endless loop of mirror display in Vr and monitor. hard to explain.

Reply with quote Monday, May 29, 2017

There are none, but I have currently no other way to do it. This is not just recording the game Budokai Tenkaichi 3, this is recording inside a Virtual reality application which is only viewable inside the hmd itself.

Yes, but my question is "what is the purpose of this?".

You can project a video/stream to a texture in a 3D environment very easily. There are reasons why this hasn't been a commonplace presentation style for the last 20+ years.

Why not just record a stream of the game itself rather than this layered VR? Even if your users had a VR headset and you could allow them to be there, you are giving them only detriments and no benefit to the experience.

If you were playing a game in first-person 3D and your viewers could fly around as spectators or look with their VR headsets (as you were seeing), THAT would provide elements to enhance the experience to the audience. As it stands though, you'd be better off just having a lets play with the game's video stream, audio commentary, and a video overlay. This would offer more than your current setup in terms of absolute data quality/clarity.

Reply with quote Saturday, June 10, 2017

Zeth wrote :

You can project a video/stream to a texture in a 3D environment very easily. There are reasons why this hasn't been a commonplace presentation style for the last 20+ years.

Why not just record a stream of the game itself rather than this layered VR? Even if your users had a VR headset and you could allow them to be there, you are giving them only detriments and no benefit to the experience.

If you were playing a game in first-person 3D and your viewers could fly around as spectators or look with their VR headsets (as you were seeing), THAT would provide elements to enhance the experience to the audience. As it stands though, you'd be better off just having a lets play with the game's video stream, audio commentary, and a video overlay. This would offer more than your current setup in terms of absolute data quality/clarity.

Answered in Discord since I'm not on here a lot.

Reply with quote Sunday, July 02, 2017

Domitjen wrote :

Zeth wrote :

Answered in Discord since I'm not on here a lot.

Thought about it, here you go: https://youtu.be/UoHPiBtQ-kw

1, 2  >>

Actions

Online [ 0 / 6125]