Content

Interesting Dragon Ball Z Fangame

Skatter #*&@%! View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Tuesday, July 11, 2017

So I was directed to a new Dragon Ball Z fan game being created in Unity 5 and it's inspiring to see how quickly it was put together.

Many of you probably saw this already, but I hadn't seen it posted anywhere, so here goes:
https://youtu.be/jPh4h9o8iow

I'm absolutely not fond of the artstyle, but that's the dealer's choice. It'd be interesting to see if he weren't putting such rigid time limitations on himself and looking more at referential integrity what he could do.

I can't say it looks fun to me, just because subjectively I'm not enjoying Dragon Ball Z in the way that I did when I was younger, plus this isn't Saiyan Saga so subjectively I'm out, but it's really promising and inspiring, not to mention that Emirh08 helped sort of inspire him to do it in a roundabout way. Neat to see such a ripple effect!

Eagle The Purpose View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Tuesday, July 11, 2017

When did Emirh become that famous? Razz
But yeah, I don't like much the directions it takes either, and I find odd how popular such drafts can get. Like, do their really bring anything new or special on the table? Or are their eye candy visuals just enough to satisfy that much people?
Almost makes me want to do a very fancy video for ZEQ2-Lite (as never been seen before!) and see just how popular this fearsome creature can get, hah.

Shenku RiO Incarnate View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Wednesday, July 12, 2017

Eagle wrote : When did Emirh become that famous? Razz

Probably about the same time that no-talent character drop-in demos, such as "ZOMG Mario in UE4 is amazeballs!!!!11!1!Elevinty!ONEONE!1!" videos became a thing...

But yeah, I don't like much the directions it takes either, and I find odd how popular such drafts can get. Like, do their really bring anything new or special on the table? Or are their eye candy visuals just enough to satisfy that much people?

Keep in mind that the vast majority of the gaming community, and by extension the Dragonball fan segment of that community, are largely uneducated on what constitutes the difference between a pretty and glorified tech demo and a fully functional game. A lot of the time, it seems the only ones who can really see the differences are those of us with actual experience in developing games in one form or another.

And while I disagree with the artistic direction he took his project, I do applaud him on trying to make something with its own distinctive personality, and while it may not have been pretty, it was at least original. You know, as opposed to 99% of the rehashed addon packs we used to see on a daily basis around here...

Almost makes me want to do a very fancy video for ZEQ2-Lite (as never been seen before!) and see just how popular this fearsome creature can get, hah.

Doo Eeeeet! Razz

Reply with quote Wednesday, July 12, 2017

Shenku wrote :
And while I disagree with the artistic direction he took his project, I do applaud him on trying to make something with its own distinctive personality, and while it may not have been pretty, it was at least original.

You didn't like Rainbow Piccolo?

But in all seriousness, I agree with you. It's also a really short time period and might've gone on to do something more aesthetically pleasing with more time. Just look at how his Frieza changed.

Eagle wrote : Almost makes me want to do a very fancy video for ZEQ2-Lite (as never been seen before!) and see just how popular this fearsome creature can get, hah.

Just know that if you try and hype it, you're going to be responsible for positively and informatively dealing with the people you hype up about its true status after they see it and show up on the forums and discord, because you'll be creating a situation that draws in exactly what you dislike dealing with.

Reply with quote Thursday, July 13, 2017

Well, I may have come a bit too rude and/or mocking in my previous message, and I know I should be more objective...

If we swap to someone else's place with next to no development experience, we could notice regarding Emirh's DBU that:
- There's one person offering quality work in a fairly short amount of time.
- This developer doesn't limit himself on any front, and thus talks to a pretty big part of the Dragon Ball "Z" community (endless powerlevel, transformation and eye candy contests).
- The developer's media approach is not worked; it is even carelessly spread. It shows a popular perspective and that the guy behind that "amazing project" is "human" and somewhat nearer to the public. Though, as I said, he was sometimes careless, and some reckless actions could have returned the table (will avoid to name events).

As to how that could be considered an example to developers themselves, I guess it's justly that previous scheme and the results that are inspiring. It makes you believe you can do more than what you think you can actually earn. At least, I believe it happens to little developers without too deep knowledge or any professional background. I'm not saying it's lacking or it cannot work, that's a complicated method on long term, but I don't think you see that often in either big and very serious projects or in the professional territory. That very last thing could be a factor to it's success as well.

I can understand all of that to some extent. Heck, I did consider ZEQ2-Lite like a sort 3D Dragon Ball Z oriented M.you.G.E.N mod' back when I discovered it, and shortly after a potential video game (*rolling on floor laughing*). But ever since I dove into it and learned about it's (fairly hidden) history, I can't simply get hyped over a random project, nor do I try to limit myself to too simplistic or subjective reasoning. To me, ZEQ2 and subsequently ZEQ2-Lite (a bit? Sad ) incarnate a true love for both development and true-to-target directions that do efficiently call to our childhood. If anyone in the community that loves the Dragon Ball franchise didn't feel the deep potential this project has, please do throw rocks at me.

Doo Eeeeet! Razz
___
Just know that if you try and hype it, you're going to be responsible for positively and informatively dealing with the people you hype up about its true status after they see it and show up on the forums and discord, because you'll be creating a situation that draws in exactly what you dislike dealing with.

Heh. I was joking, really. If it was to happen, I would clearly state things beforehand. ZEQ2-Lite had that darn habit to evasively informing people, but things need to be clearly established for an enterprise to work; no matter how we see it. However, getting it rolling again is still in my plans. I assigned a personal role to myself that is to make it friendly to anyone and strike to Dragon Ball Z fans' childhood even harder! I'm convinced some people would love that.

emirh08 View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Saturday, July 15, 2017

not bad at all though combat just looks so sloppy, and to say better then dbu in my opinion is a way overstatement especially since the dbu reboot about a month or 2 ago, Though he does have some skill there and I'm looking forward to seeing more development

Reply with quote Monday, July 17, 2017

Well yeah, the motivations of comparison in order to have a pissing contest aren't super great, since saying either is better/worse is just childish ego-stroking, but there's no denying the motivation was used to very constructive results in a quick timeframe. You created yourself a nemesis! Razz

Reply with quote Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Dragon Ball extensively uses ego-stroking, and some character actually mastered that art. How could that not taint the mind of it's fans? Razz

qwerty In Advance View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Thursday, July 20, 2017

Reply with quote Monday, August 07, 2017

Dragon Ball: Zenkai Revival

Munki View user's profile Send private message

Wasn't there a beta for this game available somewhere??

Munki View user's profile Send private message

Also, anyone got anymore info on it, like a website?? Only thing I've found online was bunch of youtube channels playing clips of the game... I've been wanting to make a post about it on my site but can't find much on it. *laughing out loud*

Reply with quote Saturday, August 26, 2017

Actions

Online [ 0 / 6125]