Content

1, 2, 3, 4  >>

Dragon Ball Quake ?

Zeth ZEQ2 Programmer View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Saturday, March 11, 2006

After a bit of history sliding, I eventually found myself crawling back to check out some old DBQ shots. For those of you out of the loop, DBQ was basically the high-end DBZ mod of its day. Everyone looked up to it, and it shadowed others by far. On a curious sidenote, if anyone knows how to get in touch with any of the former DBQ team (or can provide me with the ALX soundtracks), I'd be quite thankful.

Anyhow. I posted this thread because of a discovery I made. Apparently someone else has registered another Dragon Ball Quake at modDB (just another reason their database needs to have its eyes checked every now and then).

It looks like pre-rendered shots only and seems to have discontinued at least a year ago; however. I was just wondering if anyone else had actually seen, followed the project, or even known if they knew of the existence of the godfather mod that preceded them.

Tom ZEQ2 Programmer View user's profile Send private message

I have a Cd with every song ALX released to the public, I think Vox has a lot more, if he didn't delete them. Sokidan and Readonwolf can be found here: http://chitan.battlerats.com/
It seems however SSJ4 G0tenks (also known as zytrox) site is down... he used to have one on 3dluvr.com I tried to find ALX's site again awhile ago but I couldn't find it... I know I seem like a stalker, but I used to know some of the team and I used to be a moderator at the dbq forums ;p
and ofcourse Ned is over at sos Smile

I know I seem like a stalker, but I used to know some of the team and I used to be a moderator at the dbq forums ;p

I had a strong feeling you were the same "Tom" Very Happy. I remember you all too well. I might just need to give you a buzz sometime on your messenger of choice. Thanks for the info by the way.

TRL Spam Machine View user's profile Send private message

Those renders look good for it's age?

1 year isn't old. Those renders aren't the original Dragon Ball Quake by the way. Re-read the first post.

Zeth wrote :

I know I seem like a stalker, but I used to know some of the team and I used to be a moderator at the dbq forums ;p

I had a strong feeling you were the same "Tom" Very Happy. I remember you all too well. I might just need to give you a buzz sometime on your messenger of choice. Thanks for the info by the way.

yep that's me Surprised oh and by the way you might find zytrox on some 3d forum like cg talk or something. I've seen him post on there before. Last I heard he had to do some military time or something... as for the rest of the team I have no clue. Not sure where sith went.

Azurax View user's profile Send private message

The Cell Remix is my favorite.

Miss the old DBQ days, all Im gonna say is the Azurax-Mobile just doesnt sound as good. Wink

Zeth wrote :

1 year isn't old. Those renders aren't the original Dragon Ball Quake by the way. Re-read the first post.

Ok sorry I didn't totally read your post but I had the feeling you were being nostalgic. So I assumed it was all one big old quake thing.

Slipstream Catching On View user's profile Send private message

I've seen zytrox on Polycount, and the old SOS forums before, but that was about a year and a half ago. And it seems like he took down his 3dluvr.com site a while ago. Ned has his own site at www.ned-art.com

I just breefly ckecked his site and some of his 2d work truly is amazing. I was surprised, didn't know he was that good.

Alex ZEQ2 Effects Programmer View user's profile Send private message

I followed DBQ quite a lot back in the day, though wasn't too much of a regular on the forums. They had some quite interesting ideas and looked to be a potentially great mod, but as I remember coder troubles had quite a big part to play in the mod dying. They had a habit of getting some quite unreliable ones, even one which leaked to code and used it in his own project. It's a real shame, I'd have liked to have seen it finished Sad

Devion Slipping Away View user's profile Send private message

DBQ, ooooh DBQ.

They did have a gameplay movie, with Freeza shooting a deathball.

Some of their ideas were wack, like World Strongest orso, creating some kind of mmorpg.

EDIT: Here DBQ maps videos.
http://www.planetquake3.net/download.php?op=fileid&lid=946
http://www.planetquake3.net/download.php?op=fileid&lid=947

RaiDer Genuine Pirate Therapy View user's profile Send private message

You can actually download the DBQ_Xmap_Beta's, on www.anime-mods.de.. a lot of people used them for bfp..

The world's strongest mode was ambitious.. it wasn't like an mmorpg though. Basically you chose your race and body parts and you could level your character. That part is like an mmorpg yes, but you would still be on servers of 16 players max. Like I said it was pretty ambitious, especially with quake 3 not under the gpl at the time.

RaiDer Genuine Pirate Therapy View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Monday, March 13, 2006

It's a shame it died..

Morpherex View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Tom wrote : I have a Cd with every song ALX released to the public, I think Vox has a lot more, if he didn't delete them. Sokidan and Readonwolf can be found here: http://chitan.battlerats.com/
It seems however SSJ4 G0tenks (also known as zytrox) site is down... he used to have one on 3dluvr.com I tried to find ALX's site again awhile ago but I couldn't find it... I know I seem like a stalker, but I used to know some of the team and I used to be a moderator at the dbq forums ;p
and ofcourse Ned is over at sos Smile

Did you guys look into it to see if it was a prank or not?

to see if the pics that zeth has are fake? My guess is they just wanted to use the name to get some hype ;o

Morpherex View user's profile Send private message

Tom wrote : to see if the pics that zeth has are fake? My guess is they just wanted to use the name to get some hype ;o

No, the C&D. Because if I remember correctly they have to get the review done within a certain ammount of days. They can't just keep you sitting there waiting for them to finish. Rolling Eyes. Afterall, it was free, nobody was making money off of it except for FUNi, Bandai, etc. And it was based off of Open Source code/GPL.

very well could have been, the public were never shown the C&D or anything about it, the team would know, but honestly I don't know if Zar showed anyone else. Which sounds suspicious I know, dbq was kind of spiralling out of control, with members leaving and zar changing some of the game mechanics (he wanted it to be more of a fighter, if I remember correctly). We'll never know for sure. Well unless someone e-mails infogrames/atari and asks ;o but whose to say they'd want to fess up to shutting down something other people made because they were afraid of competition.
EDIT: and I doubt that the team would have known it was fake, IF it was because ssj4g0tenks was just too loyal to the project to do that. in my opinion anyway.

The_One11 View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Monday, May 08, 2006

never played it if its still download aibel PLEASE send me the link "post in forum if ya whant but pm is fine tho"

Reply with quote Tuesday, May 09, 2006

It was never released and as far as I know never playable. I wonder if they ever got further than this, though:

And here's all the pictures I have archived right now. Some of these are as old as 5 years, I believe. Additionally, I've uploaded 3 roll videos with the Cell ingame kamehameha video.

DBQ Videos.zip

DBQ Images.zip

So, from my understanding, they basically managed to get a few particle-esque effects in, some powerlevel stuff (I think transformations), flight, special beam cannon and a kamahameha? Baring some media (levels, models, shaders, etc.) and particles, the version I have (under the name of DragonBall Afterlife, skydet's 'side project' when he was on the DBQ team, some five years ago, he asked me to do some coding for it not knowing it was effectively DBQ-Leaked until I'd delved into the code) has everything those pictures and such show. It's a shame it never got anywhere substantial, even the pre-hibination SoS build had more features than DBQ seemingly ever managed Sad Damn shame.

The_One11 View user's profile Send private message

m thats to bad then the grapics where nice atleats I like it bttr then bfp I mean come on bfp I don't just like the mêlée style

Chase___54 View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Dude.....Tom.... long time no see... Very Happy

remember me?

1, 2, 3, 4  >>

0 / 2472