Tactical Manuevers

Zeth ZEQ2 Programmer View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Sunday, April 22, 2007

spyxter Flutie Flakes View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Monday, April 23, 2007

... and that's all for this week's update? Smile

Surely a fan such as yourself realizes that ZEQ2 updates alternate each week. First a media, then a text. How very rude!

Friend, there ARE other aspects to a project other than pretty pictures and fancy graphics. Wink

Andreyesf Sugar & Cocaine View user's profile Send private message

One question ..when you post this update let's take for example "Tactical Manuevers " update is it finished or it will be worked on? Smile

Punio4 Somewhat Nifty View user's profile Send private message

Pretty short for a textual update, but I guess it will have to do Rolling Eyes

Is it just me, or am I not feeling the love anymore? This is the 3rd largest text update, by the way. Perhaps the ZEQ2 team should start to omit an update here and there to help build more appreciation. It's an idea.

Keef View user's profile Send private message

I liked the update, as im not a graphics wh*re Razz

can't wait to try some of these moves out!

tezcatlipoca View user's profile Send private message

I'm curious how will player control so much manuevers. I guess it won't be: key=certain manuever, right?

Is it just me, or am I not feeling the love anymore?

You're not feeling love? You want to talk about it? : )

Forza View user's profile Send private message

This update is just fine.

I do have a few questions though;

All these moves are pretty cool and all, but I fear that I need to use every key on my keyboard for this game, with the amount of attacks, types of flight and types of jumping that are added. How will you try to minimize the number of keys that will be used?

Now for the rapid jump: I believe all the dbz characters were completely able to control their movement. The fact that the rapid jump costs energy should be enough of a nerf already, it's not really necessary to put limits on the control of it. So is it really realistic to make it hard to control a succession of rapid jumps?

I have no critics on the ballflip and corkscrew somersault. Those are really tight moves.

edit: bah, poster before me had the same question.

Icarus View user's profile Send private message

*Applause*

Have my baby?

All these moves are pretty cool and all, but I fear that I need to use every key on my keyboard for this game, with the amount of attacks, types of flight and types of jumping that are added. How will you try to minimize the number of keys that will be used?

Conditional and situational key palette changes.

Now for the rapid jump: I believe all the dbz characters were completely able to control their movement. The fact that the rapid jump costs energy should be enough of a nerf already, it's not really necessary to put limits on the control of it. So is it really realistic to make it hard to control a succession of rapid jumps?

ZEQ2 is not planned and developed in a standard gaming practice that actually FORCES balancing elements to happen. We're creating essentially nothing original from our gameplay -- it's simply the DBZ series brought to an interactive level. The rapid jump scheme reflects this just as well.

From your tone about energy costs being a defecit, I can already assume that you believe performing a series of rapid jumps would tire or somehow hinder the character with an instant result. As this is not the effect emphasized in the series, it should not be the standard result anticipated.

Extensive series comparison studies have been done on nearly every movement type present (including the ball flip and corkscrew somersault) and all manuevers listed have been FREQUENTLY performed by a large multitude of characters in various sagas else they would not be present in the advanced tactic listing.

The hindering limitations imposed upon the rapid jump are not a self-created concept, but I do think you are over-emphasizing the impact of control obstacles. Observing the DBZ series, one can see that while rapid jumping does offer a seemingly quick and precise manner to cover ground and reach higher cliff areas, it DOES actually follow a standard of angular limitations -- especially concerning those over a 180 degree alteration. This is most logically due to the acceleration and physics of the matter, but could easily relate to other factors as well.

Ussj_gohan View user's profile Send private message

WHOOOOT update!!! Surprised

Hey Zeth's its very good that you guys are posting update's weekly and have to puch it on to make it done.....

Those ppl don't really appeciate it Crying or Very sad

Twisted Evil

Ok, I like fancy pics Razz
On topic, have you tried to produce these animation sequences? Or is it just "in planning"?

Alex ZEQ2 Effects Programmer View user's profile Send private message

Conditional and situational key palette changes.

You see those buttons? Actually you'll find that, eh … eh, they're called context sensitive. Hehehe. And … eh … well, actually … they, eh … press B.

It means context sensitive... it's sensitive to the context... here... try it over here...[/Birdy]

Newfolder View user's profile Send private message

Yeah it's hmm.... nice... but... are you describing how it looks in the game or in anime (accuracy!!!!!) Razz

TRL Spam Machine View user's profile Send private message

I now he didn't use the move a lot but will goku be getting his tornadolike swing he used to get back in to the ring in the last tournament of dragonball?
Or maybe the kamehameha blast movement he also used frequently?
Not that I would really want that and in fact it's more of dragonball thing then a dbz thing but still seeing this jump control techniques, I thought maybe they thought about it too.

LionHeart View user's profile Send private message

This sounds really interesting, guess it would take us at least 1-2 months to learn how to fully handle these moves and flight.

Grega View user's profile Send private message

I give it 2 weeks for the hardcore fans. Doesnt sound to complicated.

Great update. can't wait to see it in motion (possible movie update perhaps XD)

oh and <3 zeth you arnt unloved ^^

Super Snake Sugar & Cocaine View user's profile Send private message

This is a very interesting concept. It's nice to see that you still have an eye for details.

Still.. Won't manuevers like this cause problems when you jump really low?

The image I get is that when you are low to the ground and use a manuever like one of these that you'll get a lot of 'bugs'. Like going IN the ground or things like that.

Or do these manuevers only work in high jumps?

This may sound witty, since I'm not even close to being a coding dummy.

Alex ZEQ2 Effects Programmer View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Obviously collision detection and prediction would be involved when for any sort of movement in the game. If it'll collide with something then I expect there'll either be a different animation; or it'll force some distance between you and the collision; or it'll switch to a ragdoll for a few moments (e.g. doing a corkscrew flip and smacking into a wall, the character would ragdoll off 'realistically' until it recovers); or it'll have the standard animation played while pressed up against the wall, though that would look quite intellectually lacking.

I'm hoping for the ragdoll, myself, not enough games realistically blend between ragdoll and animations. Doesn't the Zios engine use ODE anyway? Ragdolls should be relatively simple to implement with it, from what I hear.

J-Dude View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Really, this sounds like a great idea Smile. Multiple forms of jump sound great. ESF's jump is one size fits all, save for the well done wall jumps and springing jumps. I love the idea of the rapid jump, as seen when a fighter is scaling a large rocky hill. Obviously the rapid jump means the fall is fast as well, faster than gravity. Obviously the high jump is seen many times, like when Frieza avoided Trunks' Burning Attack. ESF TRIED for 1.3 to implement the "rolling" fall, but instead made the character ball-roll every time they swoop upward, which in my opinion looks really unrealistic, not to mention cheezy. Having it for descending only sounds like the perfect implementation. Once more, ZEQ2 is the win!

Go ZEQ! For great justice!

Super Snake Sugar & Cocaine View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Alex wrote : Obviously collision detection and prediction would be involved when for any sort of movement in the game. If it'll collide with something then I expect there'll either be a different animation; or it'll force some distance between you and the collision; or it'll switch to a ragdoll for a few moments (e.g. doing a corkscrew flip and smacking into a wall, the character would ragdoll off 'realistically' until it recovers); or it'll have the standard animation played while pressed up against the wall, though that would look quite intellectually lacking.

I'm hoping for the ragdoll, myself, not enough games realistically blend between ragdoll and animations. Doesn't the Zios engine use ODE anyway? Ragdolls should be relatively simple to implement with it, from what I hear.

Hehehe. Cool never thought of that.
Ragdoll would be cool.
I don't think they'll use it though. Not DBZ-like.

zane View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Thursday, April 26, 2007

nice Smile I like these ideas :O

Reply with quote Thursday, April 26, 2007

I wonder how do these maneuvers look in action... Smile

0 / 2472