Content

Manhunt 2 banned in the UK

Tom ZEQ2 Programmer View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Wednesday, June 20, 2007

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=14385
More or less banned, without a rating it can not be legally sold anywhere in the UK.
As for North America, the ESRB has given it an AO (Adult Only) rating. http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=14396

Adeel View user's profile Send private message

Looks like we've been infected with JackThompsonitis they won't accomplish much, people who do leak it will make lots of money since banning something makes it worth getting as people get curious about why it was banned, and theres always the lovely internet, I can pretty much see this going down the gta route since they tried to high five san andreas what're they gonna make of gt4 -.- dislike these people >.>;

Alex ZEQ2 Effects Programmer View user's profile Send private message

Not really, I completely understand why it's been banned over here. It is just senseless, graphic murder in ways which anyone could do. The game, if it's anything like the first one, has no other point and that seems to be the focus even above actual gameplay. I thought the first one was mediocre at best. It's hardly a loss at all.

Punio4 Somewhat Nifty View user's profile Send private message

I never thought I'd say this, but I agree.
This game can entertain noone but sadistic, brain-sick freaks.
I mean, come on. A game whose gameplay consists entirely of massacre, torturing, killing sprees and sadism without any point.
In all games you kill with strategy, skill, to capture the flag, or finish some other objective, or so that you don't get killed.
In manhunt you burn nuns and children begging for your life with a flamethrower so you could pee on them later.

BIG difference. Glad this POS was banned.

Just a quote from IGN:

Consider for one moment that in Manhunt 2 you can, Wii remote and nunchuk in hands, use a pair of pliers to clamp onto an enemy's testicles and literally tear them from his body in a bloody display; and if that weren't enough, you'll take one of the poor victim's vertebrae along with his manhood. Or, if you'd prefer, you can use a saw blade and cut upward into a foe's groin and buttocks, motioning forward and backward with the Wii remote as you go. But believe it or not, there is much more to Manhunt 2 than mutilation and mayhem. This is a game that begins with the subject of psychosis.

If you get a kick out of doing that, you've got bigger problems than whining about a banned game. Much bigger.
And the excuse "It's just a game" isn't valid.
http://www.level-d.net/
This isn't a real girl, but you're still loved in the head if you buy it.

spyxter Flutie Flakes View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Thursday, June 21, 2007

Have you at least tried that game? Manhunt that is...

tommety View user's profile Send private message

Do you still want to...if you already know the sickness behind that game?

Playing the game, even liking it to the smallest extent, means that somewhere in your twisted little head you kind of enjoy torturing people beyond sane imagination...Sure, everyone likes to be the bad guy every once in a while...but a sadist-pscycho maniac?

You got to draw a line somewhere, even with games...
I think they made the right decision by banning that game, you got innocent violent games and just sickly violent games...

I hope they will high five it here as well. Or else I hope it will never catch on here...

Tom ZEQ2 Programmer View user's profile Send private message

I have different opinions on games like Manhunt. Now I haven't played it, but I know what it involves.
My opinion is that this game should be played and enjoyed, it will NOT make you want to kill someone or go out and want to kill someone. If you are like me that is. Mentally healthy, I.e. you know the difference between reality and a game and the difference between right and wrong. If you're like me, then Manhunt will have no impact on you. Mentally unstable people should not be playing games anyhow (of any kind), as most do not know the difference between reality and the game. That could possibly lead to the game influencing their actions.
I do agree with the Adult only rating though. Children should not play a game like this, as they have not fully developed their minds and hence may not entirely know the difference between right and wrong. I think we all know the majority of hormone pumped teenagers are not mentally sound Razz
That's my take on it anyway.
Oh and about the dolls. Personally I don't think you're "loved" in the head (silly censor) if you own one of those or even use it for sexual pleasure. It's just another kind of sex toy. Would you say a women is loved in the head because she owns a vibrator? Of course not. Toys aren't my thing, but I still disagree that you're messed up because you own one or want to own one (I'm guessing they're pretty expensive Razz)
EDIT: I should probably rephrase that last part.. as long as the dolls do not look like children. Then that is just wrong.

Indeed, the line has to be drawn some where and the biggest problem with adult only games is that, even if the game is refused to anyone under the age of 21, a parent or other relative can easilly pick it up for them and they generally just think "oh, it's just a game, it can't be that bad" despite the rating, while with movies it's quite different due to it being established how bad some movies can be in terms of violence and sadism (e.g. Saw or Hostel.)

Though, apparently both Sony and Nintendo have a 'no Adult Only games' stance for their systems, which means if they can't get the rating down, they probably won't be allowed to release it on the Wii or Playstation 2.

Azurite View user's profile Send private message

Alex wrote : Though, apparently both Sony and Nintendo have a 'no Adult Only games' stance for their systems, which means if they can't get the rating down, they probably won't be allowed to release it on the Wii or Playstation 2.

There are AO games to Playstation 2 and with Manhunt 2 there's at least one to Wii too.

Edit:
The news about Manhunt 2 won't be on Playstation 2 nor Wii I'll take with a grain of salt for now.

Azurite wrote : with Manhunt2 there's at least one to Wii too.

Well, that's what I mean, with an AO rating, it won't be allowed to be released on the console: http://uk.Wii.ign.com/articles/798/798162p1.html

"As stated on Nintendo.com, Nintendo does not allow any AO-rated content on its systems."

I heard somewhere that Sony have the same stance, on this game atleast, though I can't seem to find anything saying either way.

EDIT: And you editted while I replied Rolling Eyes But yeah, this news doesn't mean that the game won't come out on the consoles, it just means that they'll have to rework the game to get an M rating instead.

Azurite View user's profile Send private message

Yes, SCE does seem to have the same stance.
I feel bad for Take2, many downfalls the last couple of year.

0 / 2472