Content

1, 2  >>

Linux gaming

spyxter Flutie Flakes View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Wednesday, April 05, 2006

My first thread Very Happy Here we go...

Hello everyone who is reading this Wink

I am going to switch to Linux (already got my Ubuntu CD Wink) and I am a total uninformed participator there... I have a question squirming my brain - how the heck am I going to play games under Linux? Will I have to use some kind of windows emulators? And is there any games created for Linux?

Please forgive me for my zippy english and sweeet questions Very Happy

dale_22x View user's profile Send private message

why not partition your drive and have windows and linux on your computer? Rolling Eyes

well it's no doubt I'm gonna use dual-boot for some time BUT I've heard that linux uses less resources of computer so doesn't that mean that games run faster under linux?

RiO View user's profile Send private message

spyxter wrote : well it's no doubt I'm gonna use dual-boot for some time BUT I've heard that linux uses less resources of computer so doesn't that mean that games run faster under linux?

Not with the added overhead of emulating the Windows API and DirectX to do it, they don't.
Your best bet would be native Linux ports of games. as far as I know Quake 3 atleast had one, because it has conditional compilation statements for Linux in the engine source.

RiO wrote :

spyxter wrote : well it's no doubt I'm gonna use dual-boot for some time BUT I've heard that linux uses less resources of computer so doesn't that mean that games run faster under linux?

Not with the added overhead of emulating the Windows API and DirectX to do it, they don't.
Your best bet would be native Linux ports of games. as far as I know Quake 3 atleast had one, because it has conditional compilation statements for Linux in the engine source.

ok, so this means you're going to release linux version of the final game? Very Happy

Can anyone suggest some native linux games?

Alex ZEQ2 Effects Programmer View user's profile Send private message

Quake 3, Quake 4, Doom 3 all have linux builds. UT2004 has a linux installer on the DVD I think. There's a number of other games that have linux versions, though I'm not too sure about which.

Morpherex View user's profile Send private message

spyxter wrote : My first thread Very Happy Here we go...

I am going to switch to Linux (already got my Ubuntu CD Wink) and I am a total uninformed participator there... I have a question squirming my brain - how the heck am I going to play games under Linux? Will I have to use some kind of windows emulators? And is there any games created for Linux?

Have fun installing any version of Firefox other than 1.0.7 which it comes with ;X. Oh, and you can't log in with root on ubuntu from install. Inorder to do root fruity booty you have to do sudo splatter games.

Reply with quote Thursday, April 06, 2006

Morpherex wrote :

spyxter wrote : My first thread Very Happy Here we go...

Have fun installing any version of Firefox other than 1.0.7 which it comes with ;X. Oh, and you can't log in with root on ubuntu from install. Inorder to do root poo you have to do sudo fiddle sticks.

I dind'nt understand any of your yiddish Very Happy could you explain this simplier?

I think he's telling you not to use Ubuntu....

redhat?

dale_22x wrote : I think he's telling you not to use Ubuntu....

redhat?

It's the tip tapping hard rocking word filter, which I honestly think the team needs to do something about, because it just makes people sexy, and Zeth is the coolest man alive.

Redhat is fedora, which in my honest opinion is a huge nono. I seriously suggest you try out VLos. It's not well known, and it's a very very easy to install somewhat distro of Gentoo.

is it easy to use?

I found red hat easy...

It's the splendorific totally cool word filter, which I honestly think the team needs to do something about, because it just makes people sexy, and Zeth is the master of the mild.

I kinda like the filter. am sure none of the peopel it drives away matter. plus... why do you feel the need to use and of the terms filters, it's quite easy get your message through with out having to swear....POTTY MOUTH!

however some words that are getting filtered, may no necessarily diserve the filter..

but you know I guess there are some really sensitive people that do get bothered if you call them or their work magnificent, or intellectually lacking...(*laughing out loud*...=_= my spelling is bad enough to get those past the filter)

love puppy shovel <3 ^^

3rd edit..the one that I do however think we can all go with out is *laugh out loud* one....

by the way..^^ change poo into manure I did that at this site I helped out with, it made for some greate humour that lasted about an hour

Well, it looks like your opinion about ubuntu isn't too lloyd ;D. What the heck, I think, I already got my free CDs so I'll give it a try Very Happy

Could you recomend some distros that aren't zippy? I mean not-being-a-resource-hog and easy interface (GUI is a must Very Happy). Oh, and it MUST be free Very Happy

..you can get most linux stuff for free....

Zeth ZEQ2 Programmer View user's profile Send private message

..you can get most linux stuff for free...

Free linux games? I mean... SuperTux is the whizzy zazz and all... but it can only last so long.

In comparison to windows games available, linux gaming is only slightly more effective than mac gaming -- which needless to say is "limited".

no I meant the operating systems not games...he was saying how he got his thingy for free

supertux is that the penguin sliding down hill?

about the free stuff... I was asking for a free, not-a-resource-hog, user-friendly DISTRO recommendation Wink

SUSE 9.3 is what I use, really simple to install, uses less resources than windows despite running more services in the background and generally seems a good distro from my experience, though I haven't played around with too many distros.

Alex wrote : SUSE 9.3 is what I use, really simple to install, uses less resources than windows despite running more services in the background and generally seems a good distro from my experience, though I haven't played around with too many distros.

Luckily, I've got this one Wink So it's worth installing? Or should I download SuSE 10.0 ?

I'd say go with 10 as it's newer.

Reply with quote Friday, April 07, 2006

dale_22x wrote : is it easy to use?

I found red hat easy...

It's the splendorific totally cool word filter, which I honestly think the team needs to do something about, because it just makes people sexy, and Zeth is the master of the mild.

I kinda like the filter. am sure none of the peopel it drives away matter. plus... why do you feel the need to use and of the terms filters, it's quite easy get your message through with out having to swear....POTTY MOUTH!

however some words that are getting filtered, may no necessarily diserve the filter..

but you know I guess there are some really sensitive people that do get bothered if you call them or their work magnificent, or intellectually lacking...(*laughing out loud*...=_= my spelling is bad enough to get those past the filter)

love puppy shovel <3 ^^

3rd edit..the one that I do however think we can all go with out is *laugh out loud* one....

by the way..^^ change poo into manure I did that at this site I helped out with, it made for some greate humour that lasted about an hour

Ho/w ab/out y/ou actua/lly re/ad th/e po/st? H/e's cha/nging t/he w/ord d/rives an/d a/way. Ho/w th/e F-UC/ok AR/E THO/SE NE/GATIVE WO/RDS?

dale_22x wrote : is it easy to use?

I found red hat easy...

love puppy shovel <3 ^^

VLos's default is Gnome. So I'd say mostly yes.

CYN View user's profile Send private message

for linux game hosting, like counter-strike servers, I recommend CentOS

CYN wrote : for linux game hosting, like counter-strike servers, I recommend CentOS

I'd still rather use Gentoo Smile.

MDave ZEQ2 Ninja View user's profile Send private message

Morpherex wrote : How about we have a BBQ!? I AM A SILLY MAN. How the flip ARE THOSE SPICY MEATBALLS?

Laughing 172 word censors!!!

Whats a small compact linux distro that has a nice GUI to it? Smile

MDave wrote :

Morpherex wrote : How about we have a BBQ!? I AM A SILLY MAN. How the flip ARE THOSE SPICY MEATBALLS?

:*laughing out loud*: 172 word censors!!!

Whats a small compact linux distro that has a nice GUI to it? Smile

How about you get rid of all of em eh? Or would you rather draw people away, too. For all the registered people you have here, you sure only get about 3 posts per day. Even worse than ESF here sushi platter.

And a compact distro with a nice GUI? Oh gee, PICK ONE that has gnome.

1, 2  >>

0 / 2472