Zeth ZEQ2 Programmer View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Wednesday, May 10, 2006

DJ-Ready View user's profile Send private message

looks interesting.
~ tri count on that scene?

The total scene is roughly 30,000 triangles. With distance LOD'ing and vis tree optimizations in effect, the view of each shot would exceed no more than 2000 triangles at one time.

Element4q2 View user's profile Send private message

Aside from the sheer size of the modelled map, what else makes it seem so "vast"? Have you per chance used portal skyboxes?

Aside from the sheer size of the modelled map, what else makes it seem so "vast"? Have you per chance used portal skyboxes?

Portal skyboxes? Of course. We had that long ago actually -- doesn't everyone? The general terrain shape not being a square for one. We use hexagon skyboxes and spherical base planes to make it quite difficult to distinguish map edges. Couple that with the nature of the skies layered borders and it's not hard to feel intimidated by the "world" you inhabit.

Japieja Beard with a Conscious View user's profile Send private message

Maps too empty!....

Hahah no sorry couldnt resist making that joke.

On the contrary I must say, im impressed with how many rocks and boulders and mountains are in the map.

But that last post you made? Portal Skyboxes?
I told you all many times before I don't understand anything else that what I actually see, so could you explain how that way you people work would make it for use hard/unable to distuingish map edges?
And what the heck are Portal Skyboxes Razz?

Wait, is it that if you come to the edge you get teleported to the oposite edge of the map without feeling, noticing and knowing it?Hence the name 'Portal'? Or am I on the complete wrong track now?

Forza View user's profile Send private message

Basically I have no idea how you tricked this, but it's damn good. Enlighten me (and Japieja) on how you did this in eehm normal words Smile

I told you all many times before I don't understand anything else that what I actually see, so could you explain how that way you people work would make it for use hard/unable to distuingish map edges?

Check attachment. Normal base planes are square. It's quite easy to know when you've reached an edge or corner. Additionally since normal skyboxes conform to a cube, the seams are slightly visible in skies. HexSkies fix that.

Wait, is it that if you come to the edge you get teleported to the oposite edge of the map without feeling, noticing and knowing it?Hence the name 'Portal'? Or am I on the complete wrong track now?

Not quite the whole "teleportation" jazz as the name might suggest. From my limited understanding of "portal" effects, it seems to be in relation to the distance and sort depth in which they are displayed. Portaled objects (such as a default skybox) will have their staged texture appear far far in the distance and are displayed after shaders of higher depth values are done. Without a texture on a portal effect, you tend to get the "Hall of Mirrors" result. I'm probably off base on this though. Rio or Dave can probably help iron out the technicalities of portal much better than I.

I think Element4Q2 might have been refering to a 3D portal skybox in which 3D objects are given the portal effect as well as the default skybox is. We also have this effect as you may have noticed on Raditz Landing's mountains Wink.

SimpleExplanation.jpg

SimpleExplanation.jpg

Zeth wrote :

Check attachment. Normal base planes are square. It's quite easy to know when you've reached an edge or corner. Additionally since normal skyboxes conform to a cube, the seams are slightly visible in skies. HexSkies fix that.

Not quite the whole "teleportation" jazz as the name might suggest. From my limited understanding of "portal" effects, it seems to be in relation to the distance and sort depth in which they are displayed. Portaled objects (such as a default skybox) will have their staged texture appear far far in the distance and are displayed after shaders of higher depth values are done. Without a texture on a portal effect, you tend to get the "Hall of Mirrors" result. I'm probably off base on this though. Rio or Dave can probably help iron out the technicalities of portal much better than I.

I think Element4Q2 might have been refering to a 3D portal skybox in which 3D objects are given the portal effect as well as the default skybox is. We also have this effect as you may have noticed on Raditz Landing's mountains Wink.

Hmm, I might be really sweeet now but I still don't understand the advantages of having a round map and a hexagonal skymap.
Either if the map is square or round, there is still an edge on it, and about the hexagonal skymap, this means there are 6 'corners' on the map now which means ull see 6 seems, instead of 4 now won't that increase the perception on seeing the corners on the skymap?

And still the whole portal skymap thing is 1 big question mark for me..
So nevermind, ill see for myself once I play it Razz

zane View user's profile Send private message

Mhm I'm no expert, but I think it's like this (or probably I'm totaly wrong Very Happy)

So on some Quake3 maps I can see the edges of the skybox (It's like you are in a big cube oO) and this technique probably makes that this can't happen. (oO I'm wrong right?^^)

Devion Slipping Away View user's profile Send private message

Now you only PLD Razz

Seriously, nice job.
This really gives you the idea that your in a real world, instead of a little map ;o

Element4q2 View user's profile Send private message

Portal skyboxes, at least in the context I'm using here are: Skyboxes that display a viewable 3d area (that may be seperate from the main skybox) on the "walls" of the skybox instead of a texture.

Let us take a map of a city as an example. Once you've completed all the buildings, etc. You are forced to apply a texture to the skybox that will always seem strange because cities are never square configurations that just end suddenly, and as we all know using crappy 2d textures with buildings painted on never look good, especially at close proximity to the skybox.

Instead you may choose to map out a small, second skybox with modelled,unclipped buildings/structures with its own 2d skybox and foghull. Then by using "black magic" (not really, I'm just too lazy to go into the technical procedure Razz ) that area is projected onto the main area's skybox, giving the appearance of a much larger city.

DJ-Ready View user's profile Send private message

3d skyboxes for the win o/

But Japieja is right, it looks kind of empty. Some dynamic foliage on the ground (small rocks, dirt, bushes, etc...) would be neat

Alexander View user's profile Send private message

I like it.
Looks like somewhere you can have interesting battles However it might take a while to find an opponent who is good at hiding behind those rocks unless they still show up on the radar or something.
Still like the vastness though.

Alex ZEQ2 Effects Programmer View user's profile Send private message

They are completely untextured without scene filters and are in NO WAY a representation of the final version.

That's why it look so bland and empty Rolling Eyes

Andreyesf Sugar & Cocaine View user's profile Send private message

Eh they will not be radars some characters will sense like in "the series" , like in "the series" like in "the series" you know and some people will have scouters (vegeta nappa raditz Gyniu force and lots of them) Smile

Sugar & Cocaine wrote : Eh they will not be radars some characters will sense like in "the series" , like in "the series" like in "the series" you know and some people will have scouters (vegeta nappa raditz Gyniu force and lots of them) Smile

Vegeya will only have the scouter in the Saiyajin saga, and maybe the beginning of Namek, cause after that he also learned how to sense without the scouter Razz

But this is going offtopic again,...and how is it, that that always happens when you post something andrew? Razz

Hey japeija you serious have brain damage I GO OFFTOPIC?????????????? Confused nooo I tell my opinion you have something with me...

As it goes to series, sensing is far more effecient than an actual scouter (except as a communication device)

Sugar & Cocaine wrote : Hey japeija you serious have brain damage I GO OFFTOPIC?????????????? Confused nooo I tell my opinion you have something with me...

Yeah you can tell you're opinion, nothing wrong about that, but keep it on topic...

Athelstone Exceedingly Wise View user's profile Send private message

The following post was made in regard to the "Scene Filters" (I Posted in the wrong thread):

I rarely take the time to post compliments to the ZEQ2 team because I always know lots of other people do so. After seeing these screenshots, however, I feel compelled to offer my own congratulations to the development team.

Incredible. Fantastic. This far surpasses commercial quality content. I feel that what you've produced deserves worldwide recognition from DBZ fans. These screenshots seem to indicate that you've captured the anime's essence.

I wish you the best of luck in this ambitious project.

Best Regards.

Yes it will be the most DBZ played game I think it will be much greater than esf 1.3 but it will be for sure *looks at the models and map" but the mêlée system conts we really want to see a video with the mêlée Very Happy

N-J ZEQ2 Legend View user's profile Send private message

Sugar & Cocaine wrote : Yes it will be the most DBZ played game I think it will be much greater than esf 1.3 but it will be for sure *looks at the models and map" but the mêlée system conts we really want to see a video with the mêlée Very Happy

I just have to try this once as well...watch the series and you'll get an idea of mêlée Twisted Evil

Michel View user's profile Send private message

Sugar & Cocaine: I hope that this won't offend you, because it is not ment to be offending by all means. I am hoping you could improve your interpunctions and grammar a bit, because it seems (and I am expierieing this aswell) that it makes people go haywire. If you're not a native english speaker, and you are not able to produce good grammatical sentences, then I would suggest you to use a grammar checking tool (eg. MS Word). It worked for me! Furthermore, please think before you write, while you write and after you write (that is reread you stuff, so that it looks OK).

Thnx!

BC

Forza View user's profile Send private message

BlueCell wrote : Sugar & Cocaine: I hope that this won't offend you, because it is not ment to be offending by all means. I am hoping you could improve your interpunctions and grammar a bit, because it seems (and I am expierieing this aswell) that it makes people go haywire. If you're not a native english speaker, and you are not able to produce good grammatical sentences, then I would suggest you to use a grammar checking tool (eg. MS Word). It worked for me! Furthermore, please think before you write, while you write and after you write (that is reread you stuff, so that it looks OK).

Thnx!

BC

I couldn't agree more. Thanks.

Back ontopic:
It really remembers me of the landscape in my favourite game: DBZ Legend of the Saiyans Very Happy
Actually I haven't seen anything of the Saiyan Saga at all. Only the first 5 episodes.

1, 2  >>

0 / 2472