Content

<<  1, 2

Roshi Island

Forza View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Thursday, May 04, 2006

Well... there are limits to the capabilities of the Quake 3 engine. I can't really remember a Quake 3 based game that had 'good water'.

Zeth ZEQ2 Programmer View user's profile Send private message

Well... there are limits to the capabilities of the Quake 3 engine. I can't really remember a Quake 3 based game that had 'good water'.

Limits? Most of us are idealists here. The word simply stands to mean as something that hasn't been done properly.

You say, "the sky's the limit", we say, "the sky's only the beginning". We don't think out of the box or have a few left field ideas. No, friend. We've climbed out of the box completely, hopped in a car, and drove out to left field to setup camp.

All in all, you underestimate the POWER of RiO and the dedication to our cause.

Blaize ZEQ2 Legend View user's profile Send private message

Most of those water effects can be done useing alpha mapped models.
Anyone could do them, you just have to do a little bit of coding.. nothing difficult though Wink.
But you'll see in the future how we'll make it ;P

Forza View user's profile Send private message

If something's improbable it's improbable. Very Happy

I guess time will tell if it is or not. I can't proof my point, but you can't proof otherwise until it's ingame.

It's just that I have my doubts on the achievability (does that word even exist?) of all the goals you put for yourself. They seem of a size only reachable for major gamecreator companies.

edit: I didn't see Blaize's post yet, but I still have some doubt Smile

N-J ZEQ2 Legend View user's profile Send private message

Forza wrote : They seem of a size only reachable for major gamecreator companies.

WROOOONG...Actually what does that have to do with anything? The fact that they don't care for such detail just to make the release date possible
[sarcasm cough]which happened to be conveniently one month after starting the project[/sarcasm cough]…coughing at you EA >_>.
And for the record, games are made innovating by people like us, independent game developers. We have no rush at all , so we can work out everything as we like it to be and then release it.
And finally why don’t you back up your statement with actual technical facts why such thing is , like you put it, improbable. Just because you haven’t seen it before doesn’t make it sacred and unreachable.

Japieja Beard with a Conscious View user's profile Send private message

About the 2 images, im not gonna go all technical on yo behinds, cause im not technical and I don't know a bit about coding.

But, I think the second image, to make that ingame shouldnt be too dificult, that can even be achieved by 2 sprites right? (probably the simplest way to do it)
But I have my doubts about how the first picture will be put in game. Water will be like 1 big mass, and I havent even seen any game doing something like deviding water in that kind of way,(im not saying its improbable) but im curious how that will work and how it will look..
Suprise me Very Happy

Blaize ZEQ2 Legend View user's profile Send private message

pfff... come one !
I allready explained how you can easely do the second image.

the first one can be done real easy aswell.
By using heightmaps for the water you can create stuff like that real easy.
And we've all seen a simulair technique in other games allready, the one I remember is Populus.. you can raise land in it dynamicly.
and because water doesnt hang over (ok ok.. maybe breaking waves) you can create any water form you want.
so.. use that, add some water sprites particles.. and your done.

ofcourse this is just a simple explenation, not sure if we'll use the same method XD

Japieja Beard with a Conscious View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Friday, May 05, 2006

Blaize wrote : pfff... come one !
I allready explained how you can easely do the second image.

the first one can be done real easy aswell.
By using heightmaps for the water you can create stuff like that real easy.
And we've all seen a simulair technique in other games allready, the one I remember is Populus.. you can raise land in it dynamicly.
and because water doesnt hang over (ok ok.. maybe breaking waves) you can create any water form you want.
so.. use that, add some water sprites particles.. and your done.

ofcourse this is just a simple explenation, not sure if we'll use the same method XD

And like I said, im not technical, so I don't understand either explainations...
Well, I mean, I don't know what all those terms like ex. hieghtmapping means..

Michel View user's profile Send private message

Hehe... nice discussion. in my opinion water should not be heightmapped, but should live on a static height. From there on, you can draw the water plane, with some FFT waves. Waves come in two flavours: line and point. The wackywater image will be a point one.

Alex ZEQ2 Effects Programmer View user's profile Send private message

As far as the water sprays go, that can be achieved with a simple particle system and with relative ease. The deformation, as blaize said, could be achieved with a dynamic heightmap or even softbody physics if they wanted to spend a lot of time on it, or any number of ways.

The point is that the Quake 3 engine does not have limits, as such, with the source available. Given the time, effort and knowledge, you could code virtually anything into it. The engine it's self is damn good, easy to work with, stable, cross-platform and well established, certainly my choice in opensource engines.

Japeija: A heightmap is a greyscale image in which each pixel corresponds to a height. They're often used for creating terrain, as well as being used in advanced lighting/rendering techniques such as parralax-mapping and relief-mapping

Michel View user's profile Send private message

Just to puppy a bit (hehe): the term heightmap can be a bit confusing. For example, like Alex already said, most of the time heightmaps are used to define the height of a terrain, where the grayscale value (0-255: a byte) defines the height. Most of the time, it is stored in a raw image file (height values saved as bytes), so that it's close to what is used internally in a game (memory wise). Now most of such image files are editable in painting programs, so people most refer to heightmaps as being images. In reality they are not. They are 2d arrays representing height values. Being able to edit those value in a painting program is just an extra.

Alex ZEQ2 Effects Programmer View user's profile Send private message

Exactly, like a lot of things used in modern realtime graphics rendering techniques, such as normal maps, heightmaps are stored as images for the purpose of editing and visualisation. As BlueCell said, the games don't use them as 'images', but mearly extract the data into an array, so you could store a heightmap in as a series of numbers in a text file, in an XML file, even a binary file to be read straight into memory, as long as the data can be read from it, it can be used to store it. Image files are used to ease the workflow from an art standpoint and, for all intents and purposes, that's the probably only form that non-coders will have to deal with them in Wink

Andreyesf Sugar & Cocaine View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Saturday, May 06, 2006

I don't know why but the map looks veryy GOOD but it looks kin of a LEGO map *laughing out loud* Laughing

Super Vegetto ZEQ2 Legend View user's profile Send private message

Thats cause the textures are simple at the moment and of course they are temporary.
Once we get new textures on it it will look better.

Dan the Rebirth View user's profile Send private message

as mutch I have seen now all 3 maps only have temporary skins now, I hopw wee will see a finished map soon^^ but the modeling looks cool just....the Lawn Chair is placed to pervect, rotate him a littl about 16°

supermonkey View user's profile Send private message

Very nice, no flaws stick out to me ^-^.

meh View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Monday, April 09, 2007

Zeth wrote :

I fear that isn't really possible, at least not a physical splash. With the right explosion shaders they could do the trick probably... a splashing effect. Making waves and such is pretty much improbable.

improbable? My friend, that word doesn't exist in our vocabulary (or at least mine).

So you are saying that you can accomplish something that has never been done before? Razz

madkiller View user's profile Send private message

There are no laws or bounderies in zeth's world

Newfolder View user's profile Send private message

I have another question... Is this Roshi Island still "up to date" or you have something new? :> It's the same with other "old" things (raditz, piccolo etc.).

Zeth ZEQ2 Programmer View user's profile Send private message

If it's not a 2007 post, it's not up to date Wink

<<  1, 2

0 / 2472