Content

<<  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Goku [Orange GI]

Devion Slipping Away View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Saturday, May 05, 2007

spyxter wrote :

Zeth wrote :

Maybe this 2.5K 'maximum impact' means its the most polys we'll be able to see at a moment?

Bingo.

Where's my treat for answering to my own question? Razz

Then well the heck did you have to ask the first question....

J-Dude View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Sunday, May 06, 2007

Zeth wrote :

Maybe this 2.5K 'maximum impact' means its the most polys we'll be able to see at a moment?

Bingo.

Ah, I see. So the level of detail model will change depending on how many polys are on-screen (when close up)? And so the detail will lessen the further away the camera is?

Alex ZEQ2 Effects Programmer View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Sunday, May 06, 2007

Well, the easiest way to cut down the amount of triangles drawn at a time that I can think of is to simply remove single-sided polygons who's normals are facing away from the camera from the rendering queue. Graphics renders aren't intelligent, so if you just throw a straight scene full of meshes at one it'll try to render every single polygon, whether it's hidden from view or not, leaving it up to the coders to filter out what shouldn't be rendered from the scene, the simplest being frustrum culling and visibility testing on objects. Typically, even if only a small part of an object is visible the whole mesh gets rendered as full per-polygon visibility testing is quite an expensive task, however I'd expect a polygon normal test to give quite a reasonable perforance trade off for the potential cut in polygons.

<<  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

0 / 2472