Content

Every DBZ "Sub VS. Dub" argument is pointless

J-Dude View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Thursday, June 28, 2007

Normally I only bring this up when the situation arises, but frankly it arises too much. I go on youtube all the time. Awesome place; Incredible nobody thought of it years ago. A lot of times I like to use it to quickly look up my favorite anime stuff, especially DBZ. But there are several DBZ videos that are hotspots for dub wars. Allow me to explain how one works. Basically, as DBZ was translated into other languages, English in particular, the original otaku who watched the show with subtitles (there was also, of course, the handful of pasty Sun-fearing folks who decided to learn Japanese) began watching the dubbed adaptation. The first dub was done by Ocean Group in the early 90s. The second dub was done by Funimation after the new millennium.
Well, since then, there has been an un-win-able war between fans of either dub. Why would this happen? Why would fans of the same damned show suddenly turn on each other in blind spastic rage for such petty reasons? I’m still trying to figure that out, and I don’t think there’s any coherent answer, but I’ll try to explain the different sides of this war and their basic motives for declaring it with equal insult where I can.

1: Japanese Original fans (“Purists”): These guys are the biggest fascists you’ll ever meet. They started this friggin’ thing. They have no friends among any other dubs. On the contrary, they are the enemy of every DBZ dub in existence. Basically, these guys are the ones who have been with the series since the comic came out in the 80s. I’ve never seen one in the flesh, only through Internet posts, but I hear rumors that they’re 10 feet tall and have hideous fangs evolved strictly to kill dub-fans. Whether or not that is true is under investigation.
Well anyway, these guys are pissed off because they think everything about the original was perfect and expected the dubs to be word-for-word black-and-white carbon copies of the original. Therefore, when they heard different music, Goku voiced with a mid-tone voice instead of an discomforting screech and realized that the script was changed from the awkward direct translations to sentences that actually make sense in English, they freaked out and have not stopped since. Their goal is unclear, but every time a DBZ video in English appears on youtube, these guys scurry over and start arguments on why the original is perfect and the dub is trash while doing all they can to make themselves look like hot stuff for being fans of the original, calling anyone who dares to enjoy the English dubs to not be true otaku, or to be noobs or little kids. There’s no clear reason for starting these fights, but there always is one. They cannot be reasoned with, they cannot be convinced otherwise. Avoid these unprovoked aggressors at all costs.

2: Ocean Group dub fans (“Ocean-freaks”): These are the battle-hardened veterans of the dub wars, fighting for the English side, sometimes joining forces with the rival Funimation fans to take on the Purists. They were the ones who were new to the series when it first aired outside Japan and preferred the original English Ocean Group dub to the Japanese original. Their rivalry with the Funimation dub has been their prime concentration in recent years. Mainly they squabble meaninglessly about the voice actors, thinking Brian Drummond is far superior to Chris Sabat as the voice of Vegeta, (I’ve seen several youtube videos comparing scenes from both English dubs trying with no consistent success to prove their point, or lack thereof) unable to fight over the script since it’s basically identical to Funimation’s. These guys are not nearly as bad as the Purists, but are still discomforting if you like the Funimation dub.
3: Funimation dub fans (“Funi-Tards”): These guys are (in comparison to either of the former) the innocent bystanders of this war, the rookies to the series who in recent years have joined in the fight. The Funi’s were assaulted immediately by the Purists when the dub first aired, who believe Bruce Faulconer’s techno-rock music to be utter sacrilege, and also think for unknown reasons (I believe it’s because of censored segments and removed cursing) that it is for children 12 and under. Ocean group fans also criticize Funimation’s music, nevermind the fact that Ocean Group’s soundtrack consists of music from other series’ like Megaman and has scarcely and original music of it’s own; something Funimation has that Ocean does not. Funi-fans have received fire from all ends and have ultimately had to endure more strife than either of its predecessors, flung suddenly into a war that no sane person cares about. Funimation fans are considered to be noobs, loomed over by either of its opponents who consider their status higher for having watched the show longer, as if the recreational act of enjoying television were some sort of ranked competition. M o r o n s…

Neither of these people is really innocent, but I have to say the Purists are the biggest jerk-offs you’ll ever meet. Even after hearing all their reasons for the original being superior you can’t help but wonder with rightful bewilderment just who gives a flying Faulconer? Honestly, somehow these guys take offense to these dubs existing at all. It’s a translation! You love the original so much, then why watch the dubs? Stop harassing people Hitler! Nobody gives a rip that Akira Toriyama hand chose the original voice for Goku! Does that mean he HAS to sound like some discomforting pushover who yells like a yowling cat? Newsflash: Maybe Akira Toriyama is tone-deaf?
Naturally people will gravitate to the version they saw first. Understandable I say. But then you have the “born again” Purists; the ones who originally watched the dub, fell in love with the original and decided to use their “I used to watch the dub but then I saw the original and realize the dub is trash, so your views are no longer valid” trump card shiza. Why these people can’t admit that everyone has their own effing preferences and just stop beyotching is far beyond me. No, the dubs killed your parents so you’re out for revenge right? No Peter Pecker-neck, it’s a friggen’ translation into another language and your standards are unreachable. Put down your ramen, shave your Michael Moore beard, step outside your mother’s basement and go do some effing laundry.
Mainly, to me it’s like an endangered species trying to kill each other over petty reasons, mainly since DBZ fans are seemingly few and far between these days. You’d think instead of arguing between petty changes in translations that DBZ fans in general would instead fight to preserve the dignity of the series from people who abhor it? Go figure; people blow…

Ravven ZEQ2 3D Artist View user's profile Send private message

Damn! That was long one to read!

I usually don't pick sides on something like this, cause I respect other people preferences.

I personaly stand with original audio + good subs. in my opinion it souds better plus there are no friggin' and witty transaltions! I watched subbed and dubbed DB (in two dubs actualy, one in CN english and 2nd in polish, transalted from french, which was translated from japanese...confusing huh?), FMA, Naruto, Hellsing and Evangelion (After them I only watched subbed anims!). I like to hear what was oryginaly planned for those, plus I can even learn little by little japanese (as I did witch english when I was young. I used to watch CartoonNetwork everday and when I finally started to learn english my teacher was very surprised with my knowledge!). Although, to me transaltions sounds out of place in those animes, not all people prefer hearing japanese voies... And I can mostly understand that...

In Poland most people think that anime is evil and that anime is only for children!! When those people hear japanese audio tracks, they attack it, saying it's bad and all... Sometimes it can really nibble me off! Ignorants, who are scared of what they don't know or understand!

Anyways... I prefer oryginal audios, but I think that it depends on everyone individual preferences.

Tom ZEQ2 Programmer View user's profile Send private message

Personally I think it's your preference as to what you like.
I grew up watching Ocean Group Dubs, then when I realized they were no longer dubbing eps, I started watching it in Japanese. I used to be a "Purist" as you call them, not just for DBZ, but any anime. However, I had good reason. Back in the 90's the majority of dubbed anime had HORRIBLE voice actors and I'm sorry Ocean Group were no different :/ Well they weren't horrible, just sub par. Now when Funimation started dubbing DBZ I was still hesitant. Then I realized how talented the voice actors really were and started to enjoying watching the dub. It really opened my eyes that maybe not all dubs have such horrible voice actors anymore.
I watched Trigun in Japanese (there was no dub at the time), recently I went back to watch it in English. I honestly thought NO ONE could do Vash's voice like the original, but I thought I'd give it a look. WOW I could not believe how well the english voice actor could sound like the original. From the serious parts, to the comical ones with Vash's signature laugh. I have since gone back and watched serveral anime in english, that I had previously watched in Japanese.
Now I'm not trying to say I converted every which way. It doesn't matter to me anymore which I watch. I will watch whichever version is available. Now if both are (dual audio) available, I'll usually watch Japanese. But that's just because I like the japanese culture and you don't get all of it in the dub, as they sometimes like to localize things (not saying that is completely bad).
My two cents. I edited your title by the way. I have caps lock Razz

Ah...*sigh of utter relief*

Thank you...people with tolaerant minds...indeed, it SHOULD all be down to preference. I blame nobody for liking either. It's people who DO that tick me off. It all becomes so petty...Yeah, I agree. The 90's were a weird transition between the 80s and now. I can't say I was ever a big fan of Peter Kelamis as Goku in Ocean's dub, but heck, I love the guy as Rolf in Ed, Edd n' Eddy!

I'm mainly a Funi-tard, but I can appreciate the Japanese version, and I compromise with Ocean-freaks that Brian Drummond is a good "young" Vegeta whilst Chris Sabat is great for an "old" Vegeta. I can testify to that from how it went before Funimation dubbed the Vegeta saga. I remember when Funimation first started dubbing; Chris Sabat did a good job mimicking Drummond's Vegeta in the early Funi dub, and as the series went on his Vegeta evolved into what it is today. I know it was probably just Sabat "perfecting" Vegeta's voice, but it certainly feels as though it were the result of aging. It's incredible how subtle the transition is...

The F-Man Leader of the F-Men™ View user's profile Send private message

I never knew anyone was so passionate about this type of thing..

Zeonix The Nix™ View user's profile Send private message

I've watched both subs and dubs of dbz and they rule equally, although I prefer the Japanese dialogue (not the voices though).

Stop watching dbz and start reading science fiction. Dune is where it's at.

Well...I read a lot of Michael Crichton if that counts...awesome author...

Zeonix The Nix™ View user's profile Send private message

Frank Herbert > Crichton

Who's Frank Herbert? What'd he write? Would I know it?

Grega View user's profile Send private message

Sounds like someone took a hit from the "Purists" XD

In any case. While I prefer the original I have nothing against the dubs. Exept for that intro >.<

Listening to the same words for 2 minutes hurts my head >.<

Other than that. I choose to watch Jap with subs or if I can't the dubs. But arguing about such stuff is really as pointless as trying to move Europe to the north pole just cause the Greeks wanted more snow ^^

If you ask me. They are all jolly clowns. Especialy the ones that continue the argument. If someone posts something OK. Let him. But if you put extra fuel into the fire instead of putting it out. Than you are no better than he was >.>

Well thats my way of thinking atleast.

Oh lloyd...yeah, I don't think there's anyone on this planet who likes "Rock the Dragon". I'm just glad Bruce Faulconer came in and made a real THEME for DBZ. Although, I do love Chala Head Chala Smile I've heard the original Japanese song so many times I'm beginning to memorize parts of it...although I haven't got a clue about what it means...

"Chala...Head Chala...something-something-something key-buwah...hedo hedo kapaaaaa..."

ElementX The F-Men™ View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Friday, June 29, 2007

And here I thought, I had a lot of free time on my hands... Laughing

I'm not sure which is which but I preferred the voices that were up to episode 53. Thats right when Funimation would give reruns on Cartoon Network until new episodes came out. When the new episodes came out, I think some of the voices were fruity, but they seemed better after a while.

Reply with quote Friday, June 29, 2007

Well yeah. Looking back at some of the first Funi dubbed episodes, the actors were REALLY new to their roles. Sean Schemmel had only begun his long route to becoming a master of yells XD

I remember a part in the first Funi episode; Burter and Jeice were spinning really fast and firing off several ki-blasts at once at Goku. Goku stopped them with a ki shield while he yelled. But the yell sounded like...well, it sounded like an Opera singer vocalizing or something XD

WarFang_76 True Warrior View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Sunday, December 02, 2007

I like english better,coz I watched DBZ a few years ago in english and I think most of the sub fans are jealous just coz when they watched the anime there were only subs and they want us to have only subs also.In eng when Chiaotzu blew himself up Tien was like:CHIAOOTZUU! but in jap he was like:Chaoazuu!.It was disturbing,I watch most animes with subs but I would prefer dubs coz I wouldn`t miss the action this way but I like many animes with subs like Trigun,Inuyasha and others but I enjoy some more with dubs:DBZ(english dubbed,I also saw the romanian dub but it was aughfull),Full Metal Alchemist(romanian dub)and Naruto(english dub).Well anyways I respect other peoples choiches but with the subs as I said most aren`t fans of it they just want us to watch the sub version and see our ears bleeding(subed DBZ is disturbing)

spyxter Flutie Flakes View user's profile Send private message

WarFang_76 wrote : I like english better,coz I watched DBZ a few years ago in english and I think most of the sub fans are jealous just coz when they watched the anime there were only subs and they want us to have only subs also.In eng when Chiaotzu blew himself up Tien was like:CHIAOOTZUU! but in jap he was like:Chaoazuu!.It was disturbing,I watch most animes with subs but I would prefer dubs coz I wouldn`t miss the action this way but I like many animes with subs like Trigun,Inuyasha and others but I enjoy some more with dubs:DBZ(english dubbed,I also saw the romanian dub but it was aughfull),Full Metal Alchemist(romanian dub)and Naruto(english dub).Well anyways I respect other peoples choiches but with the subs as I said most aren`t fans of it they just want us to watch the sub version and see our ears bleeding(subed DBZ is disturbing)

Have you heard about this tiny little thing called CENSORSHIP?

Grega View user's profile Send private message

WarFang_76 wrote : I like english better,coz I watched DBZ a few years ago in english and I think most of the sub fans are jealous just coz when they watched the anime there were only subs and they want us to have only subs also.In eng when Chiaotzu blew himself up Tien was like:CHIAOOTZUU! but in jap he was like:Chaoazuu!.It was disturbing,I watch most animes with subs but I would prefer dubs coz I wouldn`t miss the action this way but I like many animes with subs like Trigun,Inuyasha and others but I enjoy some more with dubs:DBZ(english dubbed,I also saw the romanian dub but it was aughfull),Full Metal Alchemist(romanian dub)and Naruto(english dub).Well anyways I respect other peoples choiches but with the subs as I said most aren`t fans of it they just want us to watch the sub version and see our ears bleeding(subed DBZ is disturbing)

And here I was thinking that this thread died over 4 months ago. How wrong I was.

In any case define "ears bleeding". Originally I watched DBZ as a german DUB. And I must say tehy did a superb translation fo Chala wheres the US dub got a weird mixture of rap and techno O.o

As far as voices go.

Vegeta: I prefer the english version to the jap version. he's more serious sounding. And more arogant.

Goku: The jap version is defenitly the betterone. The english version Goku is to serious. Where in the jap version he actually sounds like the goofball that he is.

In any case. The biggest reason why I rather watch subs than dubs is the names. Some shows are OK with names. But others rename stuff.

DBZ example: heck was changed to HIFL

And my fav example of witty name changes.
Shaman King: Hao got translated into Seki. I mean what the heck.

Dubs translate stuff. Thus even some jokes loose their meening. The subs can do a better translation cause they are not bound by the mouth animations of the characters. Thus can make the translation loose less of the original meaning. Where the dubs they usually have to throw such parts out and write their own to fill the hole.

Don`t get me wrong some animes are better subbed then dubbed,but not DBZ.
PS:Spyxter screaming Chiaotzu or Chaoazu has nothing to do with censor Rolling Eyes

WarFang_76 wrote : Don`t get me wrong some animes are better subbed then dubbed,but not DBZ.
PS:Spyxter screaming Chiaotzu or Chaoazu has nothing to do with censor Rolling Eyes

You didn't get the point. English dubbed versions of animes are often censored. That's why some folks prefer subbed animes. Anyway subbed is the original version, that says something.
by the way, what do you think about Funimation's decision to change Satan's name to Hercule?

Yep censored but if you watch the Cell Games Saga that they adress him as:Satan,Hercules or HerculeSatan
PS:You`re right I didn`t get the point of your previous post

Reply with quote Monday, December 03, 2007

What I find the most interesting way to watch an anime is to watch dub with subs to the original. It is pure fun to compare different translations Very Happy

Reply with quote Tuesday, December 04, 2007

That would be interesting to see

0 / 2472