Content

<<  1, 2, 3, 4  >>

Dragon Ball Quake ?

Zeonix The Nix™ View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Thursday, May 31, 2007

NeD gave his goku and trunks to the ESF community after SoS fell apart. Ripping isn't a problem on the ESF scene anymore.

Kriccolo View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Tuesday, July 10, 2007

I used to be on the original DBQ team, my name was Vegitto, I was the texture artist.

Tom ZEQ2 Programmer View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Tuesday, July 10, 2007

You must have been on the team near the beginning? I recognize the name, but I don't think you were around when I joined the forum. This was when dbq was still on planet quake and were using ezboard forums Razz

Zero_SFX ZEQ2 Sound Artist View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Thursday, July 12, 2007

I used to work on sos for a short time but was just a project that won't get done so.

Rykosho View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Thursday, September 06, 2007

Sometimes I just miss the IRC chan. The forums were great for a long long time, but inevitably deteriorated toward the end.
It was quite a while ago now and I didnt think I would recall so many names, but it's funny, I guess, how these things can just come back to you with a slight memory jog.

using the old nick I see Razz

Rykosho View user's profile Send private message

It kind of stuck with me to be honest mate.
You're using the same.....non-nick I see Razz hehe.

zaradis View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Wow, this is incredible!

Here I was reminiscing about the DBQ days with my friends over some dinner and I had the craziest idea to try and search for some of our old material. I really was looking for Alx's old songs for my mp3 player, and here I come across this board. (Is it up on any fileshare networks?)

I couldn't help but register! I know I'm a few months late but whomever is around I'm saying hi!! This is unreal Smile

WarFang_76 True Warrior View user's profile Send private message

Just when you think a thread is long gone somebody remembers that he has something to say in this matter as well. Very Happy

My eyes are opened for full questioning...call it DBQ Uncut...the lost years (I think it's been 5 years now?)

Hopefully some of the oldies I've seen who had posted in here last year (godbomber, loof, etc) will stumble upon here again. I'd love to catch up Very Happy

Alex ZEQ2 Effects Programmer View user's profile Send private message

Zaradis as in the former DBQ team leader? Cool to see you about, dude.

So Zaradis if you were in DBQ team why don`t you join the ZEQ2 team now? Confused

Yea this is me, zar from DBQ days.

Honestly as much as I'd enjoy being on another development team (the engine looks sick), I don't have any experience in game development. Most of you might have remembered that I was going into computer science to do software engineering...however that fell through 2 years later when I almost got kicked out due to horrible horrible grades and too much drinking.

I cleaned myself up significantly and now I'm in the top (or 2nd best) school in Canada doing my masters degree in Physiotherapy. I got my Bachelors in Science in Kinesiology as an exercise physiologist, helping IT sector guys stay in shape *laughing out loud*. Now I'm curing carpal tunnel syndromes from too much gaming (Wii-elbow hehe). No seriously I do more than that, but my life direction had taken a complete 180. This takes up so much of my time as a full-time student that it'd be hard for me to commit anything (plus my wife still hasn't gotten over my WoW fit hehe).

On a positive note you guys seem to be doing well, hopefully you never come across issues like we did. I wish I still had my old files that I wrote up...man I don't remember how many hours I spent designing the world's strongest mode and the little intricate systems like the lock-on or gravitational pull system (think mario galaxy). Unfortunately the limitations of the quake 3 engine really mucked up some plans but all in all the failure of the team was due to me as a leader not being able to secure a proper programmer like the BFP team did. I blame that on inexperience and ambitious youth, because we had everything in place except for the code to support it. If you remember Sith he was finally doing some good but still at the age of 17 (and before the new age wave of compu geeks flooded in) you can only do so much.

Honestly though, as much and fun as this would be, my role wouldn't be much on the team other than designing infrastructure ideas and design (much like last time but with 6 extra years of wisdom and knowledge) and filling in Sokidan's old role of 'lyrical champion' *laughing out loud*.

Zeth ZEQ2 Programmer View user's profile Send private message

Here you go, Zaradis.
http://bradsmithee.com/media/music/dbq.rar

It's good to see staff from other former development projects surfacing about. Back in the day, it was mod projects like DBQ that other mods really looked up to push the envelope. You can still find a few of the former DBQ staff lurking around here and there on a few community sites as well as through various messenger applications. Just dig around or contact one of the ZEQ2 staff for specific information. I know of ALX's and Ned's off-hand, in the least.

Even though you aren't an active developer any longer, you do (no doubt) have a level head for the processes, design structures, and creation styles in general involved with development approaches. Experienced and understanding users such as yourself are always welcome -- and furthermore encouraged to become involved from at least a perspective input angle when the Zios community becomes active.

Thanks zeth it's appreciated. I will tell you guys a little thing that happened 2 days after we got our C&D order. I was emailed by a project leader from a design company looking to win the contract for Infogrames first big DBZ game, who later called me to discuss about having the DBQ team hired as 'consultants' and long distance stipend workers. The idea he wanted was a gigantic overworld style fighting game (originally conceived ala boudokai) for the PC. We chatted for a week throwing ideas around, and he learned a lot about what the DBZ community wanted it's focus on. Unfortunately his company didn't win the contract, and I never heard from him again. But at least it's was interesting to know that the work done was worth investing time into.

And who knows about me being involved with MODS or other projects. I remember being way ahead of my classmates in my application design class given the experience I had with DBQ, and I'm still in love with DBZ even at 24. I'll definitely stick around the community here to see how it flourishes and give some input every once in a while. I doubt my days within the scene are over.

*still waits for brain to be picked on DBQ ideals hehe*

ps good music mix...do you happen to have his dance mix song? I think the name was lets party or something.

Here's the only other set I have, Zaradis.
http://bradsmithee.com/media/music/olddbq.rar

Interesting to hear about the aftermath of DBQ overall. I'm sure there are several people floating about that would be curious to know more details about everything. It might take them a bit of time to come around and respond, however.

As much as I appreciate the gesture about lounging around this community, keep in mind that the ZEQ2 project itself is actually inactive while the development team focuses on the Zios Engine and other more imperative Zios projects. Not directed towards yourself, but this has been insisted quite often in a lot of threads without many really understanding the overall direction and nature of the status. We'll probably bluntly instate the message as a pre-site statement in the near future, however, to make things more clear.

Should you ever get involved with software development or design theory of any kind again, feel free to contact us for details on Zios project lines or general discussion on various subjects in relation.

Reply with quote Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Holy poo, it's Zaradis Neutral Not sure if you remember me, but I used to be one of the mods Razz Loki and I also worked on DBQ tactics, or whatever that extra dbq site was that Loki started
Too bad I wasn't as involved with programming at the time, or I would have joined the team. DBQ actually influenced me to become a programmer Razz In hopes to join the team one day, but my C/C++ skills were not that great back then (read: horrible), nor did I know the quake 3 engine that well.
EDIT: by the way if you wanted some stuff from the about section on the old dbq site pm me your e-mail and I'll send it to you (yes I still have that information Razz)

Of course I remember you Tom. You were quite a participant from the latter end of our reign Smile

Yea it's a shame things happened the way they did back in the day. Had quake 3 been around now with our experiences I'm sure we'd be even bigger (and have more law on our side) and more structurally sound.

Talking with you guys really gets me excited from the old days and makes me want to jump into project development again. And it's AMAZING too that you still hold that information...my email is [email protected] if you want to email that to me!

I find it extremely humbling that my team has given that effect on people such as yourself. Just googling 'dragonballquake' shows up a lot of sites and old information from boards and discussions from avid quake 3 and dbz junkies. I would imagine you've become quite a programmer now, and again I'm very happy I was able to help provide a stepping stone into your career.

Sent, I also sent you ssj4 g0tenks/Zytrox/Rick's email, although I'm not sure if he still uses it. If you want to get a hold of Radeonwolf, DaMaN or Soki they used to hang out on irc.gamesurge.net in #habakuhei

must be taking awhile...no emails yet.

I pm'd you the information as well just now.

Slipstream Catching On View user's profile Send private message

Man, when I think back on DBq it feels like such a ridiculously long time ago. Such awesome times!
I was just a uninformed participator internet and forum user back then, so I didn't know you, but its cool seeing you here.
Its also cool remembering where a lot of my inspiration for getting involved in game development came from!

Sadly death of mods that seem to be going good today and disappear tomorrow is something that cannot be stopped Sad I`d like to think there`s a way to keep them alive if their leaders disappear but I can`t,and as I said I think a project dies only if the leader lets it die,ambitious at first he sees the progress is slow and has to be redone sometimes and he just loses his patience and enthusiasm and this gets to death of the project in many times.But overall there are some mods that refuse to die even if the whole team disappears and that is a good thing by me Very Happy

Although I don't know if you are referring to Dragon Ball Quake (DBQ) specifically, but I'll remind anyhow that it actually received a Cease and Desist order and wasn't an end-result from in-activity.

Yes I remember getting that email...it was 2 weeks after the BFP team was rumored to get one (and actually did). I thought well 2 weeks went by we are safe, and then right before my eyes it came in from their legal dept. It wasn't a threatening letter per se, but it definitely gave me the 'or else' type statement.

It was at that time I told everybody it was over, and that's when I got the next email and phone call from that project leader from whatever company it was looking for the contract.

Honestly I probably could have continued, but I was so fed up with the backstabbing, lies, and slow progress that I felt relieved to put the project behind me. DBQ took up 2 years of my life (last year of highschool and first year of university) and it consumed me every day. At the very end it was nothing but conflicts, arguing and threats. I remember after I fired quakemage from the team he got a chip on his shoulder and decided to delete the entire server and it's information. Lucky for me one of my 'fake' programmers (who I thought was real) had the server backed up, so we were able to restore it. Godbomber gave him quite a scare about litigation and he apologized afterwards for all the trouble he caused.

I know now at my age and experiences that it takes quite a collaborative effort of resources and time to get ambitious projects done. All but a handful of us were teenagers, and perhaps I put too much pressure to get my wild expectations accomplished. Had I focused on the pure fighting action like BFP did instead of the dbz realism we might have gotten much further.

While I do believe that visions should be seen through heck or high water, after many many disappointments I don't consider what we accomplished as a failure even with the disbandment. The proof of our success is in these boards and the people who have came from our time. To me, even just inspiring ONE person at my age is unbelievable and a success Very Happy

<<  1, 2, 3, 4  >>

0 / 2472