Content

Map question/suggestion

spyxter Flutie Flakes View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Well it's a question I've been pondering for a long time - does anyone bother to make round maps? It sounds weird, doesn't it? Very Happy
Ok, I'll explain...
We all live in a planet called EARTH (duh!). And it has already been proved that this "planet EARTH" is NOT flat Wink. But in my time of gaming I haven't noticed any map that wasn't flat. NO, I'm not talking about lack of mountains and hills Confused What I mean is - does any mapper considers the roundness of planet we're living on while mapping? Or maybe I just haven't noticed?

My suggestion/request would be - why not include the roundness of DBZ's earth? It WAS on the show Wink

Please forgive me for my zippy english Wink

dale_22x View user's profile Send private message

you've never played ff7?...or does that not could as earth.

besides....how do you know that the earth IS accually round,...goign around it doens't prove anything. it maybe that you are just transported to the other side.

oh what about all those pictures from space...:/ have you been to space? how do you know that humans have accually been able to send poo into space :S how do you know it's not all faked up stuff that they make you believe. huhh??..and they don't just use all the fundin gthat goes into space exploration for some other unknown projects that they prefer that the world not know about? HUH???

yea..I thought so!

MDave ZEQ2 Ninja View user's profile Send private message

We're using the quake 3 engine here, not flight simulator or even the awesome Real-Life(tm) engine Razz poor N-J would have a heck of a time mapping Razz

Reply with quote Thursday, April 06, 2006

dale_22x wrote : you've never played ff7?...or does that not could as earth.

besides....how do you know that the earth IS accually round,...goign around it doens't prove anything. it maybe that you are just transported to the other side.

oh what about all those pictures from space...:/ have you been to space? how do you know that humans have accually been able to send poo into space :S how do you know it's not all faked up stuff that they make you believe. huhh??..and they don't just use all the fundin gthat goes into space exploration for some other unknown projects that they prefer that the world not know about? HUH???

yea..I thought so!

Man, you should stop making those conspiracy theories... Rolling Eyes

Very Happy

dale_22x View user's profile Send private message

I am not making this up..it's true!!!
look at this picture that nasa doesn't want you to know about but ACCIDENTALLY put up on there website!!!

IT'S FLAT!!!!

N-J ZEQ2 Legend View user's profile Send private message

You mean having an actual "earth map" being an actual globe. Well we'll see :p

Michel View user's profile Send private message

MDave wrote : We're using the quake 3 engine here, not flight simulator or even the awesome Real-Life(tm) engine Razz poor N-J would have a heck of a time mapping Razz

MDave: It might actually be possible thanks to zeq2's brilliant coders. Surprised

Punio4 Somewhat Nifty View user's profile Send private message

but utterly pointless :/

Forza View user's profile Send private message

Who the heck would want to fly for 5 hours to get back on the other side? That's so lacking. Very Happy

RiO View user's profile Send private message

I can think of only one practical application for point gravity (which is the technique needed for round worlds); King Kai's planet.

Japieja Beard with a Conscious View user's profile Send private message

RiO wrote : I can think of only one practical application for point gravity (which is the technique needed for round worlds); King Kai's planet.

of which I have the feeling,... will be in ZEQ2 Razz

Tom ZEQ2 Programmer View user's profile Send private message

Reply with quote Friday, April 07, 2006

The thing is, if the team wanted to make the planet earth (in the dbz universe) it would be awfully difficult to be accurate (and I believe that's what they strive for). For one, the world as an entirety has not been shown in dbz, so they would have to improvise. And two, they would have to improvise where all the places that were in dbz are in the world. Although I do agree with RiO, that would definitely be a great thing for King Kai's planet. Mainly due to the fact that it's easy to make because it was shown many times in the series. Most of the time as a whole.
EDIT: Also it would be difficult (albeit not improbable) to find someone in the map. The only reason I could see such a map being of any use is for role playing.

tommety View user's profile Send private message

or when you're bored and think 'Let's see how far I can fly around the world before my energy is burned up..'

Whilst I think it would be 'original' to say the least,
it would kill your comp I think, having to load that entire map, let's say with todays average comp loading a normal Q3 map takes 2 - 5 seconds max. I guess with all the stuff they'd need to plant on the planet it would take close to 15 mins to load...I don't really like waiting that long...

Japieja Beard with a Conscious View user's profile Send private message

Well, not really I think, the planet itself was rather small, and didnt have allot of stuff on it.

Only thing that you could add is a part of snakeway, and the yellow clouds beneath it..
I don't think it will be a killermap to load or something.

Reply with quote Tuesday, April 03, 2007

I think roundening the maps wouldn't be utterly pointless. You see, if you consider the roundness of Earth while designing a map it would add realism. I mean you can't see whole body from a greater distance. My pic shows that the round surface interferes and prevents from seeing whole things. Please ignore the lack of scale correctness Smile

As Zeth announced earlier, the maps are suposed to be vast so that roundness thing would be pretty percetible in my opinion... Rolling Eyes

roundness_matters.jpg

roundness_matters.jpg

N-J ZEQ2 Legend View user's profile Send private message

*laughing out loud* if that's going to be an issue don't you think the planet should get bigger then?

N-J wrote : *laughing out loud* if that's going to be an issue don't you think the planet should get bigger then?

Dude... Don't you remember geometry? Smile A couple of kms and you can feel the effects of roundness in our inhabited Earth despite it's HUGE radius.

Assuming the DBZ's Earth was similar to ours my suggestion seems logical Razz

0 / 2472